Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Another Person posted:

Yeah, don't expect to stackwipe guys after the first month tick unless you have a huge morale, discipline, tactics or combat ability bonus over the enemy.

I didn't just miss the stackwipe, i actually came out behind - they killed like 2000 of my guys to my 500. This despite them just having decisively lost the last battle and having one tick of morale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

With Kazan you should be able to cut off your land at the aral mountains to get overseas coring on all of Asia. If you take out the russians early and keep poland/lithuania at bay you should be in a good spot. Both of those are easier said than done, though.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Arzakon posted:

Why Kazan, because hordes? Digging into Europe then their colonies seemed like it would be a pain. I was thinking Austria shutting down the reformation then pushing east would be better.

Kazan's ideas and looting make it the most ideal for WC right now.

Despite having all this land I'm almost current on admin and have two admin sets filled out.

Only the Ottomans come close to my force limit and they're dying. I could probably take on Austria, France and the Commonwealth at the same time but France is my ally so it doesn't even matter. Just waiting for administrative efficiency before really going crazy. Taking their colonies would be the easy part since they don't give you overextension and are dirt cheap to take.

Odobenidae posted:

With Kazan you should be able to cut off your land at the aral mountains to get overseas coring on all of Asia. If you take out the russians early and keep poland/lithuania at bay you should be in a good spot. Both of those are easier said than done, though.

I don't think it's good to do for all of Asia. I just did it for India myself. Having low autonomy is pretty important, especially for China. You need income to be able to support having a big enough army to be constantly expanding and dealing with rebels at the same time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TITY BOI posted:

I didn't just miss the stackwipe, i actually came out behind - they killed like 2000 of my guys to my 500. This despite them just having decisively lost the last battle and having one tick of morale.

You probably chased them into a strong defensive position

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TITY BOI posted:

Can someone who understands combat mechanics better than me explain the following series of events

1) defeat enemy army
2) enemy army retreats one province over
3) with me in hot pursuit
4) instead of getting stackwiped, they are able to trade favorably before their one tick of morale is used up
5) goto 1

A lot of my infantry died in the initial engagement, i'm guessing it's something to do with that. i am somewhat bootybothered because this caused me to lose a very winnable war

Are you consolidating regiments in between fights? Having 10 regiments at 600/1000 is much worse than having 6 regiments full 1k/1k and 4 0 man regiments and I have noticed that the AI will often consolidate right before a battle

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Are you consolidating regiments in between fights? Having 10 regiments at 600/1000 is much worse than having 6 regiments full 1k/1k and 4 0 man regiments and I have noticed that the AI will often consolidate right before a battle

Quoting this because learning to consolidate a lot and hire new mercs significantly improved my ability to win bullshit victories.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm having fun with The Golden Horde, though I realise I probably could have conquered more by being more aggressive. I think I'll have a go at getting the Great Khan achievement, even if entails fighting in the Persian and Afghan mountains.

Those 25 ducats/month is for 50k cavalry, 10 merc infantry and 10 cannons. Thats part of the reason I love economic+quantity.

Also, Kazakh is my vassal who I am integrating. My only real ally is The Ottomans, though I am also allied to Sweden just in case I need some help punching Muscovy.
I was greatly helped by Poland deciding against the PU with Lithuania, which let Muscovy and Lithuania fight a lot of wars over Novgorod (Lithuania and Novgorod were long-time allies) and that allowed me to pounce on one and then the other as they were exhausted from their wars. Once I've killed off Muscovy I'll start turning east since the one time I'm not actually playing in Asia, Ming completely explodes.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

note: shift click the consolidate button to keep the 0 man regiments around and reinforcing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TITY BOI posted:

Your own army's morale was likely somewhat depleted since you just fought, and it sounds like they just got lucky with rolls.

Low morale troops will still inflict the same number of battle casualties as full morale, they're just much easier to break and chase off the field.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

cool and good posted:

note: shift click the consolidate button to keep the 0 man regiments around and reinforcing.

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea that was an option.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's a great way to save money on reinforcing too, but you have to do it every month as soon as it ticks over and it takes longer. You still have to pay the same amount in total but it's spread out more and if you're not in a hurry and short of money it might save you a loan.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've taken a few months break from this game. I decided I want to play again with the new expansion and all. I decided to start as Najd. Everyone around me has rivaled me. I butter up to the Mamluks and Baluchistan. Get declared war on from Oman before I can secure any alliance. I lose.

:v: What's are good opening moves for Najd/Jihad?

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Node posted:

I've taken a few months break from this game. I decided I want to play again with the new expansion and all. I decided to start as Najd. Everyone around me has rivaled me. I butter up to the Mamluks and Baluchistan. Get declared war on from Oman before I can secure any alliance. I lose.

:v: What's are good opening moves for Najd/Jihad?

declare war on Oman on day one, make sure your general has at least one maneuver so your army doesn't take attrition while siegeing Muscat, do it with mercs so you spare some manpower for the rebellions and take as many provinces including Muscat from Oman as you can, so you got a country that is not just poo poo 1/1/1 provinces

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

skipThings posted:

declare war on Oman on day one, make sure your general has at least one maneuver so your army doesn't take attrition while siegeing Muscat, do it with mercs so you spare some manpower for the rebellions and take as many provinces including Muscat from Oman as you can, so you got a country that is not just poo poo 1/1/1 provinces

Ohh. So this is one of those day one no CB war achievements. Those are fun. Thanks.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Node posted:

Ohh. So this is one of those day one no CB war achievements. Those are fun. Thanks.

I assume if you rival them you have a good chance of having a conquer mission pop up if it isn't there at launch.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You can just restart a few times until the alliances of your surrounding neighbors are favorable. When I got the Jihad achievement I started out in a game where Oman didn't ally anyone and the rest of my neighbors split off into two competing power blocs and proceeded to kill each other, letting me swoop in and pick up the scraps and own the entire peninsula in very short order. I managed to ally with the Ottomans around the same time which let me shove the Mamluks out of the way and expand into Africa.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Do you take Religious or not if you're trying Jihad? Najd has a couple of nice bonuses in their national ideas that are already from the Religious idea group, unfortunately they've lost their obscene 5% missionary strength which has gone down to two. I'm thinking no, since you're Sunni and that means the Deus Vult CB isn't going to work on a lot of people, which is probably the best feature of Religious.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Has anyone else tried out the new Espionage ideas? I decided to go for them after Religious on a Prester John run. Stealing tech was pretty nice, I never westernized and even with some terrible ruler rolls I could still maintain parity -2 with Western Europe for admin/diplo and keep up with military. That said the rest of the tree still doesn't seem like it has any real use. I kept an agent on sow discontent for roughly 175 years on the Ottomans, and they were able to get through westernizing without any troubles. Sabotaging reputation is just a flat -50 for as long as your agent is in place, but it never felt like it actually changed anything. And the one time I remembered agitate for liberty existed the option was unavailable because someone else was doing it.

The monarch points were nice, but I feel like I could have just westernized off of Portugal gobbling up Northern Africa and taken another idea group entirely. Still not sure if Espionage is just a gimmick, or if I'd have appreciated it more if I were in a poorer part of the world.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

Node posted:

not exactly no CB, you can often get a mission on day one that gives you a conquest CB

also yes, religious is very nice, you want to go to war as often as possible, which will be hard, cause all of the arabian peninsula is dirt poor on money and manpower

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm having a lot of fun on my Novgorod campaign going for Frozen Assets, but I gotta say I really miss having Estates.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

skipThings posted:

not exactly no CB, you can often get a mission on day one that gives you a conquest CB

also yes, religious is very nice, you want to go to war as often as possible, which will be hard, cause all of the arabian peninsula is dirt poor on money and manpower

The reason I hesitate on religious is that I'm Sunni, the second biggest religion in the game.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

Node posted:

The reason I hesitate on religious is that I'm Sunni, the second biggest religion in the game.

but it will give you the ability to punch through shia Haasa, Qara and Persia into India really fast and cheap

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Trujillo posted:

Kazan's ideas and looting make it the most ideal for WC right now.

Despite having all this land I'm almost current on admin and have two admin sets filled out.

Only the Ottomans come close to my force limit and they're dying. I could probably take on Austria, France and the Commonwealth at the same time but France is my ally so it doesn't even matter. Just waiting for administrative efficiency before really going crazy. Taking their colonies would be the easy part since they don't give you overextension and are dirt cheap to take.

I don't think it's good to do for all of Asia. I just did it for India myself. Having low autonomy is pretty important, especially for China. You need income to be able to support having a big enough army to be constantly expanding and dealing with rebels at the same time.

Well I have to say, you're doing way better than I am in my game. I've conquered about the same amount of land, but have way less manpower, and am probably much poorer, despite having Quantity and Defensive ideas filled, in place of your Influence and Diplomatic. I thought I was doing all right, but now all of my neighbors have joined a coalition against me, and the Ottomans just killed our alliance and rival'd me.

Have you been raising autonomy all over the place? I have been, but maybe that's a big mistake.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Well I have to say, you're doing way better than I am in my game. I've conquered about the same amount of land, but have way less manpower, and am probably much poorer, despite having Quantity and Defensive ideas filled, in place of your Influence and Diplomatic. I thought I was doing all right, but now all of my neighbors have joined a coalition against me, and the Ottomans just killed our alliance and rival'd me.

Have you been raising autonomy all over the place? I have been, but maybe that's a big mistake.

He has Humanist filled out so I imagine he doesn't have to raise autonomy anymore.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

PittTheElder posted:

I can't even get as far as you, I've been trying Kazan starts and every single time, whenever I try anything I get dogpiled, allies betray me to fight for the other side, and I inevitably get spitroasted by Uzbek and Golden horde. :(

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I guess economic might actually be a good idea instead of Admin for a Kazan WC, so you get some passive -autonomy over time, probably better than the -core cost.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mister Adequate posted:

I can't even get as far as you, I've been trying Kazan starts and every single time, whenever I try anything I get dogpiled, allies betray me to fight for the other side, and I inevitably get spitroasted by Uzbek and Golden horde. :(

Mutual allies will pretty much always join the defender.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Paradox, I know you're 'on vacation' and 'enjoying christmas', but your RNW algorithm paints desert way too strictly by latitude. Straight lines bisecting provinces make baby Jesus cry. Why are you making a baby cry on his birthday?!! :mad:

Please head back to the office and fix ASAP.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

How much coring cost reduction do you need that razing provinces gives you more admin points than it costs to core afterwards?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nobody's going to be able to give you a straight answer on that, since you only get admin points based on the province's base tax, but you have to spend admin points based on its total development. It will vary from province to province.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There are some exceptions but for the most part the base tax relative to the production and manpower is consistent across provinces (since when they were adding development into the game it was easiest to implement that way, I'm guessing), I think it should be easy enough to get a coring cost number that's at least vaguely useful for that question.

e: what that number is though, i have no idea. qing with permanent claims + admin + horde ideas seemed pretty close/ past it though when i tried them the other day, i wasn't paying too much attention.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 26, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tahirovic posted:

I guess economic might actually be a good idea instead of Admin for a Kazan WC, so you get some passive -autonomy over time, probably better than the -core cost.

I'd actually much rather take Admin. Besides the coring cost, which is always useful since you also core things faster not just cheaper, Admin gives you much cheaper mercs. That's huge for not running out of manpower and letting you continue to expand as quickly as possible. Plus the autonomy reduction will be naturally worse for Hordes since a bunch of your provinces will have to be given to the Tribe estate and will thus only tick down to 50%. The other really nice benefit of Econ is being able to develop your provinces and buy a ton of manufacturies after taking cheap loans. Neither of those things is something you should be doing with Hordes, because it's easier to just expand and take more land then it is to stop and develop your own. That's not to say Econ is a waste or anything, but I think you don't really get the full benefit with a Horde so I'd much rather take Admin. Later on you can bump your economy up by taking Trade and actually rerouting all the trade traffic that you're probably sitting on but don't have enough merchants to control.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If you look at Trujillo's screenshot, you'll see he's not even using mercs, and that squares with my experience, because the cost is prohibitive even with Admin.

And the autonomy reduction is still great, the Tribes having to hold 33% of development really isn't any sort of handicap when you're conquering like crazy.

420 Gank Mid posted:

How much coring cost reduction do you need that razing provinces gives you more admin points than it costs to core afterwards?

Approximately 50%.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there some kind of bug with the "Found an East-American Colony" mission? It auto-fails the day after I accept it. The entire eastern US except for Florida is open and I have a free colonist. If it matters, I have one growing colony in Canada and one city, and no other colonies.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
Please someone teach me to play horde because holy gently caress am I unable to comprehend how it works

I was playing Oirat in MP and I attacked the OPM next to me, going well so far. So I attack the siberian tribes and my army can't seem to beat them at all. Then Uzbek and Changtai declare on me individually and proceed to kill me off bit by bit.

I can't even fight those siberian tribes 1v1 with equal troops. I keep getting 0-2 rolls for some reason even when I'm using a 2-2-1 general to their 0 and even when I'm using cav.

I gave up but I really want to learn how hordes work. Some help?

(My leader also died early and I was stuck with lovely generals)

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 26, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never not fight defensively as a horde. You get a +25% shock damage bonus on owned, flat terrain like steppes or desert.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Godlovesus posted:

Please someone teach me to play horde because holy gently caress am I unable to comprehend how it works

I was playing Oirat in MP and I attacked the OPM next to me, going well so far. So I attack the siberian tribes and my army can't seem to beat them at all. Then Uzbek and Changtai declare on me individually and proceed to kill me off bit by bit.

I can't even fight those siberian tribes 1v1 with equal troops. I keep getting 0-2 rolls for some reason even when I'm using a 2-2-1 general to their 0 and even when I'm using cav.

I gave up but I really want to learn how hordes work. Some help?

(My leader also died early and I was stuck with lovely generals)

As said, hordes get a 25% shock bonus when attacking on their own flat lands (or 25% less shock damage received if defending) so if you're going into their lands with equal forces that could explain your bad times.

Also try to have as much cavalry as possible since you're allowed 100% cav stacks and the AI hordes never really seem to go all in on the cavalry.

If you use the "raise host" option from the tribe you get 5 free cavalry units and a free 20 tradition general, which can be pretty drat good in the early game (or whenever really) since you'll have terrible army tradition at the start of the game.

If at all possible, you should try to get your hands on any available goldmines since they will greatly help with funding your armies. Just don't give them to the tribes.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

MrBling posted:

If at all possible, you should try to get your hands on any available goldmines since they will greatly help with funding your armies. Just don't give them to the tribes.

Yeah, any hordes east of Kazan should beeline Buryatia asap. That gold mine is key for running heavy cavalry early. You might have issues getting a CB on them though as Oirat as the mongols are between you and Buryatia. I'd probably day1 no-cb war them, as that's how key getting that gold mine early is. The sooner you grab it, the sooner you can get it to production 10 and 0% autonomy.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah the only thing holding Hordes back is income so all gold mines should be bumped up to 10 production ASAP and lowered to minimum autonomy asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So I started a test game, to see if I could abuse the Russian culture and it's Danzig westernization as Kazan. After wasting all my diplo and doing nothing for years I am now at 51% Russian culture, no decision popped up.

Was there a change to how culture swapping works? I remember as Poland I just needed Prussian to be the majority not even 50% to switch.
Is this something special about the Horde government?

• Locked thread