Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Maarak posted:

Those dummies at Yale built a structure with stone windows: http://beinecke.library.yale.edu/about/about-building

I suppose every book is a rare book before the invention of the printing press. Dig the giant rectangle construction and underground book stacks. Very dwarfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cat Planet posted:

How should I deal with were beast attacks? Bridge everyone who has been bitten immediately?

I like to build cells controlled by levered drawbridges to the outside of my gatehouse setup. I stick all werebeasts in them and if the moon is right when there's enemies outside I open the cells to the topside and let them rampage. If there are any survivors I wait for them to revert then stick em back in their cells.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Cat Planet posted:

How should I deal with were beast attacks? Bridge everyone who has been bitten immediately?
Build a separate isolated fortress section for them to live in, grow crops, etc. Give them a shaft to throw completed goods down that leads to the rest of the fortress (Something deep enough to kill them if they fall down it though). Make sure you keep each individual species of lycanthrope separate or there will be war every full moon.

This will allow them to live happy productive lives and provide a source of pre-vetted lycanthropy for your adventurers.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Banish them to the caverns to fight monsters and explore.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Combat logs are pretty funny now with all of the visiting Poets I have beating the stuffing out of each other.

With taverns now is there a way in Fortress mode to track conversations? I really want to know what started the brawl that left two goblin poets with none of their teeth and an elven musician with smashed hands.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is there a way to kick out poets and poo poo? I turned off all my locations but they still won't leave. There's so many of them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sankis posted:

Is there a way to kick out poets and poo poo? I turned off all my locations but they still won't leave. There's so many of them.

Periodically flush out your tavern with magma.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Well, I didn't have any magma handy so I just sent in my squad of axedwarves and locked the doors. That seemed to have done the trick.

As a bonus I set corpse stockpiles along the road out of my fortress so now it's lined with human, elf, and goblin bodies.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Is it still a decent strat to dig down to the cavern layers and build there first?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is it still a decent strat to dig down to the cavern layers and build there first?

It's risky depending on the enemies. But it's still my preferred build to have my main fort focused on the first cavern layer with cave openness cranked to mass and minimum cave water around the 25 mark.

I just wish underground rivers were more common.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why would people want to dig straight down to caverns and start building a base there? I like building near the surface, because then I get a nice dichotomy between above-ground building (archery towers, taverns, temples, etc) and below-ground building.

I used DFHack to reveal the map, because I'm at 100 Dwarves and haven't found a single iron ore, though I've been finding tonnes of gold. It's just gold. Gold, everywhere.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Loopoo posted:

Why would people want to dig straight down to caverns and start building a base there? I like building near the surface, because then I get a nice dichotomy between above-ground building (archery towers, taverns, temples, etc) and below-ground building.
You can build surface buildings in the caverns too, with the added benefit of being able to have below ground digging both above and below them.

I prefer the third cavern layer for my own home if I do it. That way I have nice and easy access to magma.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Loopoo posted:

I used DFHack to reveal the map, because I'm at 100 Dwarves and haven't found a single iron ore, though I've been finding tonnes of gold. It's just gold. Gold, everywhere.

Why mine for iron when you can just import steel?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

You can build surface buildings in the caverns too, with the added benefit of being able to have below ground digging both above and below them.

I prefer the third cavern layer for my own home if I do it. That way I have nice and easy access to magma.

You always have easy access to magma. Most of the time a straight stairway to the magma layer is actually shorter than the trip from the dining room to a dwarfs bedroom. People tend to forget that because it takes a lot of clicking < to get there, but that's why the game has shortcuts. I usually set 1 for surface entrance, 2 for dining rooms, 3 for crafting rooms, 4 for kitchens and 5 for the magma forges. It's super easy to skip around your fort with those shortcuts and helps you move a little away from super compact forts.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there any fix to this font bug with the little black squares? The game is far from unplayable, but it really gets annoying.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i usually make a big, spiral staircase down to the caverns as early as possible because i find the resources down there to be pretty good, and it's cool to see all the cave flora spread to the dirt areas in your main fortress. depending on where you embark the critters down in the caverns really aren't much more dangerous than the poo poo aboveground.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I wish there was a way to get the benefit/fun of the caverns without the fps hit from poo poo pathing.

I love building cavern forts but once I get 80 or so dwarves fps takes a big hit. Without the caves open I can get to 200 pretty decently.

It'd help if there was a "forbid everything and everywhere in the caverns unless I explicitly say otherwise" option.

Loopoo posted:

I had a fort just like that with my last one. Gold everywhere and nothing else. I ended up cutting down the forest to smelt it all into bars to make stupid pure gold taverns and shrines. It was basically that town from Princess Mononoke without the lepers or cool wolf and boar spirits attacking me. Also gold instead of useful iron.

Edit: I miss the more manageable slow drip of migrants.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 25, 2015

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

You always have easy access to magma. Most of the time a straight stairway to the magma layer is actually shorter than the trip from the dining room to a dwarfs bedroom. People tend to forget that because it takes a lot of clicking < to get there, but that's why the game has shortcuts. I usually set 1 for surface entrance, 2 for dining rooms, 3 for crafting rooms, 4 for kitchens and 5 for the magma forges. It's super easy to skip around your fort with those shortcuts and helps you move a little away from super compact forts.
I'm well aware of this, and have repeatedly admonished people for failing to think of their fortresses in 3d.

What I was referring to was magma plumbing projects, due to the annoying nature of creating large pump stacks. Having your fortress down there allows you to utilise the caves of the third caverns as natural funnels to lure people into all kinds of sundry magma traps, ranging from the showy advancing wall of molten doom to the less destructive and (in my opinion) more interesting patchwork lava bombing from micro-reservoirs carved into the ceiling. Digging a path for a caravan to get down there is not all that difficult and it is much easier to bring water down from a higher cavern layer or the surface if/when you need it (And if you are feeling creative, you can use a collapse to drop a segment of a sand layer all the way down to the third caverns just so you can do glass easier and install a skylight at the same time).

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Taverns are so cool. I just got my first guest, a goblin lasher, who is listening to my tavern keeper tell a story about the expedition leader founding the fort.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Taverns are so cool. I just got my first guest, a goblin lasher, who is listening to my tavern keeper tell a story about the expedition leader founding the fort.

Be careful, if the Goblin Lasher so much as farts, your population will plummet due to a loyalty cascade.

Taverns are great until you realise how stupid they are in terms of all the deadly fights and vampiric visitors it lets in. I hope you enjoy the wonderment whilst it lasts.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
He was remarkably well behaved and left on good terms after chilling in the bar for a few months. It's also fun getting sieged and watching your dwarves party and vomit all over the tavern while the invaders freeze outside.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What workshop do I need to build a bookcase? I've checked through carpenter, craftsman, and mason and none of them have it.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

He was remarkably well behaved and left on good terms after chilling in the bar for a few months. It's also fun getting sieged and watching your dwarves party and vomit all over the tavern while the invaders freeze outside.

except invaders don't literally freeze at all, as I discovered when I tried to build a glacial fort. I was looking forward to just locking the doors and letting the loin-cloth-wearing goblin invaders freeze to death but they never did. Has this finally changed? The changelogs didn't mention it. It's a real disappointment because I like the idea of using the desert or arctic as a natural defense and I'm sad it doesn't work.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

What workshop do I need to build a bookcase? I've checked through carpenter, craftsman, and mason and none of them have it.

pretty sure all three of those can build it, or at least the carpenter and mason.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

reading posted:

except invaders don't literally freeze at all, as I discovered when I tried to build a glacial fort. I was looking forward to just locking the doors and letting the loin-cloth-wearing goblin invaders freeze to death but they never did. Has this finally changed? The changelogs didn't mention it. It's a real disappointment because I like the idea of using the desert or arctic as a natural defense and I'm sad it doesn't work.

I meant it more in the sense of the invaders being forced to stand around outside doing nothing while my dwarves party to the point of vomiting.

reading posted:

pretty sure all three of those can build it, or at least the carpenter and mason.

Neither of them have the option available. Is there something I need to do to unlock them?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I think someone sometime in the past wanted some info on that string patcher I'm always waving around like some kind of freak. So:

SO YOU WANT TO SULLY A FRESH .EXE:
PATCHING STRINGS FOR KICKS ON WINDOWS

There's only so much you can do with raws and DFHack. Most modders exercise a little temperance with their mad ideas, since having to hit a wall and admit that you can't pull off what you want to do isn't very fun! Forgotten beasts, demons, most of the really old structures and workshops that predate the raws and reactions as system - the divide between moddable and hardcoded gets more jarring the more you want to rip out.

However, leave it to Russians to break in through the garage and find a new fuse box. The DFRus project, which aims to translate the entire game into proper Russian in cyrillic, had to invent its own tools to manipulate the otherwise untouchable text. As it turns out, there's an awful lot that you can change from just manipulating strings inside the .exe. Randomly generated creatures all adhere to the raws after all, it's just that the basic pieces they're assembled from haven't been externalized yet. Most of the text screens are also technically shown with the forgotten online help viewer (decrypting that stuff is a separate trick) and the text can be formatted using the same tags as the help files are.

The first thing to do is get the tools. dfrus-py is a small pile of Python scripts used to refine Russian translation efforts, but our misuse will 1.) extract the strings from Dwarf Fortress.exe into a clear listing and 2.) inject the desired changes into a fresh copy. Get the whole lot, the tools you want to use will call for the others in the background. You need the Python 3 runtime to operate these, no ifs or buts.

• Step 1: Can you run Python stuff straight from the command line? PATH and all that? Good, that'll make it simple.
  • Step 2: Stuff the .py files in your DF root folder, where our game .exe is lurking. You'll be working in there.
  • Step 3: Strip the soul of the executable. Run extract_strings.py "Dwarf Fortress.exe" > dict.txt either from the command prompt or with a batch file and wait for it to spit up the output.
  • Step 4: CHANGE EVERYTHING. You have been given a miles-long list of words and phrases |surrounded by vertical lines| on both sides.
    To set a thing to be altered, |place the old thing you want gone|and the new thing you want instead| back-to-back on the same line.
    The |new thing can be completely blank, too!|| Mind you, some important lines like window headers can be very finicky about the character length.
  • Step 5: Got the fiddly half of your sexy Undertale Fortress total conversion in check? Time to "translate" your game with your brand new "dictionary". Run dfrus.py and wait a few seconds.
  • Step X: Kickstart your fresh Dwarf Fortress Patched.exe and see just how many places got messily altered that you didn't mean to!

Keep in mind that the script doesn't have a reverse gear! Always keep the original executable handy when you want to change things. Finally, dfrus has so far proven to be very tolerant of the shifting version numbers. Unlike what DFHack has taught us, there's no need to be leery about breaking stuff when a new version hits. The worst you can do is have your dictionary file fruitlessly look for strings to change that aren't there in that exact form anymore.

This is my current mix of things for v0.42.03. I can go into some specific tricks later, but jumping through all of my changes and comments in this thing should shed some light on what you can do with this tool.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 25, 2015

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Neither of them have the option available. Is there something I need to do to unlock them?

Are you using an old mod/save/world? Bookcases probably depend on current raws.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Hey, lethosor authorized the first testing alpha release of DFHack! Main point of interest compared to my rickety compiles are the OSX/Linux versions.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

PublicOpinion posted:

Are you using an old mod/save/world? Bookcases probably depend on current raws.

Fresh save and world on 42.03. Download was from the front page of the main site.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
oh that dfrus stuff looks fun. be interesting to see how much you can destroy.

I've been doing modding for the past week or so, and much of it has been frustrations with how fickle and limited the interaction/syndrome system is. Looking at other mods, it's surprising how little can be done to circumvent it's boundaries, even with DFhack assistance.

Also at some point, the AI stopped using interactions with no usage hints outside of combat, which kind of cut the legs off some other uses of the system.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I thought bookcases were made in the craftsdwarf workshop.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I forgot where exactly but I do remember needing to scroll down.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Is it just me is anybody else unable to designate multiple of the new buildings in your fortress at a time?

I can either build a temple, an inn, or a tavern, but once I build a 2nd of anything, the first built one just turns back into a generic Meeting Area without any location assignments.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Could someone post a screenshot of where the option to build a bookcase is in the workshop? I want to make sure the option is actually not there and that i'm not just missing some little menu.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Can you just j m q it? I've never built one personally.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Huh, it's not in the list at all. Can anyone think of a reason why it wouldn't show up on a pretty fresh copy of the game? I installed a tileset, but I wouldn't think that would mess it up.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Huh, it's not in the list at all. Can anyone think of a reason why it wouldn't show up on a pretty fresh copy of the game? I installed a tileset, but I wouldn't think that would mess it up.

It should be there unless you're working from old raws. Did the tileset include raw files, or did it only affect the Data folder? That would probably break it if it's not up to date.

The option is here:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Sankis posted:

It'd help if there was a "forbid everything and everywhere in the caverns unless I explicitly say otherwise" option..

You can probably do this with burrows, but... then you're dealing with burrows.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

toady status: alive

Toady One posted:

Lutefisk was consumed waaaaay back on the 20th. I have only now regained the ability to speak. It was more like fish cartilage than fish jello this time. We all survived. As part of the holiday maelstrom, I found myself working on something I could do in fits and starts, rather than any concentrated period of time, so now we've got giant and person versions for most of the original animals. The newer animals from the sponsorship drive came with those forms, but we never did have giant elephants and various large bears and all the great cat people and so forth.

I also fixed some of the problems with visitors vs. retired sites, and various minor typos and issues.

Beak dog men :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Carp man?

Elephant man :stare:

Giant Elephant :stonk: