Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
read the last two books in the old man's war series, The Human Division and The End of All Things.

they're pretty good as long as you're not expecting some high level philosophical story. good amount of action, lots of good character moments and character building, it's a bit funny sometimes too.

the way the "evil hidden" faction acquire and crew ships is... interesting in a :stonk: kind of way.

worth a read if you liked books 1 and 3 in the series.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

indigi posted:

tbh with something like Star Wars I think common courtesy should be opening weekend. if you don't see it by then you don't really care about it.

ah yes, the no-true-dorksman fallacy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The second Craft novel features a big gay skeleton in a dressing gown who runs a water utility company in an aztec supermetropolis

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 25, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I literally cannot get enough of gay skeleton wizard CEO laying down operational parameters to his board of directors following a merger, and then saying 'if you require further assistance, whisper my name three times in front of a darkened mirror'

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

Kindles are just so great yo. Had one or more ever since the November 2007 release

same

lovin the paperwhite nowadays tho i miss the physical buttons

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

The second Craft novel features a big gay skeleton in a dressing gown who runs a water utility company in an aztec supermetropolis

Note that "big", "gay", and "skeleton" are all literal descriptions of the King in Red.

Probably not a dressing gown, though. More of the thick, heavy, richly embroidered kind of robe that would make a cultist proud.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dodoman posted:

read the last two books in the old man's war series, The Human Division and The End of All Things.

i just read the first book. so the characters are invaders and terrorists who kill innocents, okay. i thought it was going to reveal their brains had been altered to make them accept it but nope. i understand the sequels go into that but it's like the author doesn't want me to read them.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Action Jacktion posted:

i just read the first book. so the characters are invaders and terrorists who kill innocents, okay. i thought it was going to reveal their brains had been altered to make them accept it but nope. i understand the sequels go into that but it's like the author doesn't want me to read them.

you don't want to read the sequels because the characters think what they're doing is unsustainable and wrong and the sequels address the issue?

that's a real weird line of reasoning.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of people who read books and watch movies think it's intolerable to witness bad things being done by the main character, even though for Old Man's War it basically beats you over the head with all of the characters talking about how horrible it is, even the creepy semi-human special forces troopers.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ive not really read anything lately apart from The Martian (which I like) gimme some light similar reading please, not the culture series just now, assume ive read nothing, thank you please

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Valeyard posted:

ive not really read anything lately apart from The Martian (which I like) gimme some light similar reading please, not the culture series just now, assume ive read nothing, thank you please

have you heard of this book called 1984

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

might i recommend the celebrated anthology known as my posts

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

serious answer i had avoided neuromancer for a long time but it's actually a really entertaining pulpy book

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

serious answer i had avoided neuromancer for a long time but it's actually a really entertaining pulpy book

dag, yo

the sprawl trilogy and maybe to a lesser extent the bridge trilogy are (subjectively) literary classics

/my teenage self

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
do read neuromancer but whenever you roll your eyes at something unbearably cliched remember that you're reading the reason it became a cliche

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

do read neuromancer but whenever you roll your eyes at something unbearably cliched remember that you're reading the reason it became a cliche

same thing with die hard or aliens or a lot of old but iconic stuff

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

syscall girl posted:

same thing with die hard or aliens or a lot of old but iconic stuff

i am sadly completely unable to enjoy aliens because of this

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

haveblue posted:

its like reading clarke or asimov or wells at this point, its crazy

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I was given the dying earth omnibus for xmas. looking forward to reading it

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Amethyst posted:

I was given the dying earth omnibus for xmas. looking forward to reading it

looked this up and holy moly i thought jack vance was a lot more contemporary than he was

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Moist von Lipwig posted:

looked this up and holy moly i thought jack vance was a lot more contemporary than he was

He was best friends with Ursula Le Guin, Phillip K Dick, and Frank Herbert and all lived together in san fran in the 60s. i only learned this recently, for some reason

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
that's pretty cool

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

I got my dad rgb mars for Christmas

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

cmyk Mars was a bit richer, imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the sprawl trilogy is good because the clichés that you find everywhere are just part of the world and not necessarily the core to the story. plus his style is interesting.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

now I want to read Black Mars

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

pro son move

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

A lot of people who read books and watch movies think it's intolerable to witness bad things being done by the main character, even though for Old Man's War it basically beats you over the head with all of the characters talking about how horrible it is, even the creepy semi-human special forces troopers.

i don't mind stories with unlikable characters but with the book i didn't get the impression we were supposed to dislike the characters, i mainly thought it was dull but in a non-banality-of-evil way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

the sprawl trilogy is good because the clichés that you find everywhere are just part of the world and not necessarily the core to the story. plus his style is interesting.

gibson has great style and sense of place

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Valeyard posted:

hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
gibson's style is so good. who else even comes close in SF? sturgeon maybe. zelazny on his good days. walter tevis?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Improbable Lobster posted:

gibson has great sense of place

his place is in the kistchen

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

the blacks are so much more prominent

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

his place is in the kistchen

loving lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

welp, the first big twist in mr robot just happened, namely that darlene is his sister

pretty loving disappointing IMO. mainly because the show had a pretty interesting corporate espionage/hacking concept going already and now they've turned it into a run of the mill psych thriller. meh.

e: ok watched the last two eps. Not too bad overall, not sure if I'll watch series 2 though. I don't think this kind of story will work as a never ending serial.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 26, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

the blacks are so much more prominent

lmao

were there actually any black people in red etc mars? Apart from when nergal etc all go to Brazil

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lmao

were there actually any black people in red etc mars? Apart from when nergal etc all go to Brazil

I don't think so. The joke kinda popped into my head and then I realized it was true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Glorgnole posted:

im reading this atm, i read red mars when i was like 12 and got bored to poo poo but now I'm 20 years older and have more patience i can just skip some of the more ridiculous 'heres my theory on economics' bits and it's better than i remeber it

• Locked thread