Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
How much do some loving lightsources cost? Or is 'mood' lighting in your home the latest fad.

I like the candle on the floor, right under curtains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If they add a lava lamp then I'm in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Puistokemisti posted:

How much do some loving lightsources cost? Or is 'mood' lighting in your home the latest fad.

I like the candle on the floor, right under curtains.

They say their lighting solution isn't finished yet, so light doesn't yet 'bounce' around the room the way it should. Apparently making light look right is tricky. Right now even rooms with lots of windows are dim and gloomy, but once the lighting solution is done rooms with windows should get an appropriate amount of light during the day, and only get totally dark at night.

It is partly deliberate mood too though. If you've ever tried to light a room with a few candles during a power outage you know it's not super effective. A lumen is supposed to be the light of one candle one foot away from the light source, and a 40 watt incandescent/10 watt compact florescent has about 450 lumens. IRL it doesn't always work out exactly that way, but you'd need hundreds of candles to get a room as bright as it gets with a couple modern lamps. Most games fudge it and the room is at worst a bit dim with the lights off, and noonday bright with the lights on. This game wants to be 'atmospheric' so if all the lights are out a windowless room is dark as hell, and a single candle or torch won't fully illuminate it. If you want a bright cheery room you have to put effort into getting dozens of candles or lanterns to light it up.

That way if your cat burglar breaks into a spooky old mansion he won't be able to dispel the shadows just by lighting a single torch. If your group wants to explore some natural caves everyone will need to carry a lantern or risk being lost in the dark. Dark is supposed to be DARK. Carrying a light makes is easier to see in the dark, but it also occupies one of your hands and makes it easier for other things to see you.

It's a cool idea, but for now it just means all the screenshots are dark as hell.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
If that's the case, I don't see why they'd be showcasing the interiors now. I can open up UE4, get some SpeedTree assets and create something that looks pretty drat nice in under an hour.

Sell game packages or something instead.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alexander DeLarge posted:

If that's the case, I don't see why they'd be showcasing the interiors now. I can open up UE4, get some SpeedTree assets and create something that looks pretty drat nice in under an hour.

Sell game packages or something instead.

:shrug:

It seems worst on the big properties, light doesn't struggle nearly as much in the cottages and tenements. In this set someone has a cottage with 3 torches, 4 candles, a fire pit, 3 windows and a large smoke hole in the roof, and it is not nearly as dark as the pictures of the manses. It's a crapshack, but it is a reasonably well lit crapshack. (No wood floors tho.)

The detail is pretty nice. Everything looks old and shabby. Grungy. A lot of games try and fail to simulate grime this well.

Even the starter furniture in the manses looks old and worn, which has made some pretty princesses sad.

Worn antique table and china.

Nooooo, don't make me prepare food on a plain old work table! I'm rich, dammit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh, almost forgot, only one funny bug report so far but it is pretty good. The only thing you can do in the game right now is walk around or rearrange your furniture, so naturally the first thing everyone did was spend an hour+ learning the decorating tool and redecorating their homes. Logout. Log back in. All the large furniture has moved back to the original spot, but all the small things remained wherever you move them. So if you moved your dining table set with fancy china to a different part of the room, when next log in the table will have snapped back to it's original spot but all the china will be floating in the air where the table used to be, and then immediately fall to the floor and bounce around when physics kick in. Now you have to go around and laboriously move one fork and saucer at a time off the floor and back to the table.

Tiny things like forks have a tendency to get lost entirely, though it isn't entirely clear if they are actually escaping the house or just impossible to find in the dark.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

My favorite part of playing The Sims was arranging each piece of silverware individually.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Here we go, someone posted a video showing two houses. Strangely it doesn't look nearly as dark in video form as it looks in screenshots. :iiam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5UNhrrGHws

The fireplaces and torches are super loud!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Friday's blog post just went up today. Something something turkey coma. This week it is all about what you'd be getting if you had a $200+ fancy house with an upgradable room, and bought one of these $10 upgradeable room kit. Apparently some folks bought all 15. These kits offer different wall, floor, and ceiling treatments than normal rooms, as well as a selection of furniture and tools suitable to a purpose.

quote:

Weekly Blog #55: Renovation
Kedhrin
Administrator Posted: 4:13PM
Weekly Update

Hello Revivalists! Yes, we know, this week is late, you can blame turkey fits and, oh yeah the Decoration Tool release! We hope that your holiday was a good one, and that our little pre-feast gift went down well. To those of you that hadn’t heard, hop on over to: https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/862/revival-stage-1-how-to-get-the-offline-client-current-build-1st-patcher-build/p1 and follow the links. Founders that own furnished dwellings may now log into their homes and utilize our customization tools to decorate their homes as they like!
Great Minds of Theleston
We present this week’s blog in a slightly different format. Given the recent decoration tool drop, and the upcoming release of the prepackaged Renovation Kits, we decided that this week should be a sort of Renovation Kit Catalog. We’ve got a screenshot for each Renovation Kit in this first release, and a description of the included items. So, let’s take a look!
The Renovation Kits

The Bar

Belly up, girls and boys!

Where better to boast of your recent exploits with the rest of the gang than a Bar room? This place has it all, and is decked from tankards to tiles in style. There’s a stool with your name on it right over by the fire, so who’s pouring?

Bedroom

Richly appointed, only the best.

Rich woodwork and an intimate warmth bring the elements of this luxurious bedroom together. Functional cabinetry, and a sturdy lockbox combine comfort with utility. With this renovation, even guests can feel like master of the house.

Craft Room

Do it yourself, in the Craft Room.

Is puttering around in the shop your calling? Then this room may be the one for you. A wide open plan and homey feel will keep your fingers and tools flying as you craft to your heart’s content. A sturdy bookcase and cabinet keep references close at hand, and the stone hearth will keep you warm long into the night.

Forge

Do you know the riddle of steel?

Clad your walls in stone, and turn up the flames with the Home forge renovation kit. Includes all necessary implements for basic ironwork and turns your hearth into a roaring furnace. Strike while the iron is hot, and spend your days humming to the song of the anvil!

Kitchen

What’s cookin’?

Whip up a personal snack, or a meal for the whole crew in this well-appointed kitchen. Ingredients are well stowed in the included shelving, and preparations can be readily made on the wide table. Tile floors make for easy cleanup when you are through!

Drawing Room

There are no mistakes in here, only happy accidents.

A personal refuge for the artist and dreamer, the Drawing room renovation kit provides all that one needs to follow any flight of fantasy until it finds its way onto the canvas, or into the sketchbook. Relax in contemplation, or study a book in the quiet of your private creation-space.

Library

Study under the watchful eye of Braugg.

Is there nothing more relaxing than a book by the fire, or more invigorating than knowledge, new and old? We don’t think so, and if you don’t either, the Library is sure to please. Study with the god of scholars himself, with our finely carven statue of Braugg, and stow your precious tomes on an unprecedented collection of bookcases.

Map Room

Plan your adventures in style.

What adventurer’s haven would be complete without a room in which to plan further exploits and greater deeds? This map room provides the perfect accommodations for just that practice. Charts and maps are readily kept in order, and can be easily referenced in the ample light and warmth. All is tied together with a signature compass-rose motif, show your pride in adventure!

Ritual Room - Elder Gods

A room for the Elders, right in your own home.

No need to leave home to make your daily offerings, with the Elder Gods Ritual Room renovation kit, you can worship under your own roof. Properly dedicated, and stocked well with ritual elements, this renovation kit is sure to help you keep the good graces of the gods of our world!

Ritual Room - Great Old Ones

A room for brooding and dark ruminations.

Brooding stone, and a deep, dark style set this Ritual Room apart from the others. Richly appointed, but with easily mopped-down floors, this is the ultimate in facilities designed for regular obeisance to the Great Old Ones, who came out of the beyond.

Ritual Room - Outer Gods

Peer into the outer limits of the aether!

Bring the cosmos into your home and gaze undaunted into the aether with this renovation kit dedicated to the appeasement of the Outer Gods. The custom ceiling treatment paints the stars above in gold, and the deep blue tiles below reflect the depths of the void. Cast your soul into the abyss without leaving home!

Parlour

For refined entertaining.

A luxuriously appointed parlour is the heart of any entertainer’s home. Share anecdotes over pleasant libations, or sip a nightcap and contemplate the day’s events in lush style. Show your guests how refined your tastes can be!

Crypt

Even in repose, there can be grace.

Keep your loved ones near after their passing, or prepare for your own untimely repose with our custom-fit home crypt renovation kit. Keep a balefire burning in the hearth, and a firm lid on your affairs, a stone one! We’ll even include the sarcophagus.

Vault

Keep it secret, keep it safe!

Keep your assets well protected in a home vault. Nigh impregnable walls and sturdy bars for any windows ensure that your goods will remain locked up tightly, safe and sound. Rest easily, knowing that your investments are safe, with a home vault renovation kit!

Lab

For good, clean, experimentation.

Clean, white tiles and an orderly workshop set the stage for experimentation! Convert a room in your home into a clinical laboratory suitable for simple to advanced alchemical research, and the table is probably clean enough for elementary chirurgery! A flexible starter room for any aspiring scientist!

Some of them look really nice, like the bar. I'm not sure why you would need a bar in your house, man caves weren't invented yet, but you can have one.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
If they manage to start allowing people to wander purdy areas outside houses, I might upgrade my hopes for this game from grimdark star citizen to may be a thing someday. The houses are looking nice though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wait their community moniker is "Revivalists"? Oh man.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do you like mining? I like mining. https://www.revivalgame.com/blog/58-weekly-blog-update-56-mining-data

quote:

Weekly Update
Wow, this has been a busy week! Between the release of the client last weekend, and our work to make sure it’s working and running, and our efforts to finalize the renovation kits to complete stage 1, we’ve been operating in high-gear the whole time. I barely noticed the week fly by in fact. It was just a flurry of document writing, review meetings and planning meetings for future aspects of the game. I think of it all though, I’m most enamored of the time Ombwah and I spent on building book specifications. Until now, the books being produced are rare volumes; that is, each book is effectively unique, but going forward our books will be built using the same componential system that bookbinders in game will use to produce a huge variety of books out of parts. From picking adornments to the materials used in the binding itself, each will play a part in how the book looks and behaves and of course, all of it will play into the value of the books, as well. It was a fun, if not hectic, week! And I’m still not done prototyping the origin matrix! There’s so much to do!

WIP - I cannot live without books!

Great Minds of Theleston
But, today is Braugg day and that means it’s blog time. It’s nice to be able to take a breath at the end of the week and pick up another aspect of the game and reflect on it. This week, the topic is mining. There’s something iconic about mining in MMOs. Perhaps it’s the focus on combat most MMOs or the enduring look of metal goods, but whatever the reason, mining is always one of the first skills people ask about. In fact, Revival is really no exception, but we haven’t said much about it yet.

Maybe that just our own bias coloring my perceptions though, after all mining was also the first crafting mini game we designed. We actually had a few challenges with the mining mini game that aren’t shared by every craft or trade. For example, for performance reasons we had already decided we weren’t going to implement deformable terrain, so the challenge was how to get across the visceral feeling of the act, one of our goals with these mini games, without actually having a rock face to gouge into.

Our solution was to embrace our constraints and create a game that mimicked the act of mining, without worrying too much about simulating every aspect of the physical act. What we came up with is a game of procedurally generated “game boards” that follows a few of the spiritual rules of mining, while presenting its own challenges and unique fun of play.

In game, a character will use the mineralogy skill’s version of study to find likely locations of ore lodes in the game. Just as in real life, in Theleston, rarer minerals and gems are harder to find, and often can only be found deep in the rock, but more common elements can be found in most locations where a rock face is present. Once you’ve found a place you want to mine, it’s just a matter of executing the mining skill. This will present you with the mining screen, a network of cracks opens across a stone face, presenting you with a number of discrete cells that can be “mined” by tapping or clicking with the mouse, to reveal the layer beneath. The goal is to reveal the greatest amount of the resource (the mineral vein) as possible as you clear away the rock shelf from the precious materials.

Each time that a player taps or clicks a segment of the rock face, it is removed to reveal the layer beneath as well as any gems or mineral veins concealed there. However, each tile that is revealed in this fashion carries a chance of 'shattering' the tiles nearby when it is tapped; destroying the resources beneath beneath the tile that was shattered'. As a player gains in the mining skill, new techniques will open which can be used in the game, such as a “Stone sense” which will give you hints as to what lies beneath the currently exposed layer of rock and various “techniques” or ways to tap out cells of the rock face that have different chances of shattering or exposing nearby cells.

Even without these special techniques, however, minerals tend to form veins. These typical formation styles for various minerals can be learned and thereby predicted, to some degree, allowing players to develop favored strategies for revealing more mineral than is destroyed in a given session. However the shape of each actual vein is procedurally determined based on these rules, so they can’t be memorized. Likewise, gemstones or fossils cluster or group in formations that can be “mostly” predicted with observation and practice. When the mining skill is leveled high enough in comparison to the types of ore found in the target rock, the number of cells created when the board is populated can be reduced, making the recovery of greater quantities of resource a lower risk proposition.

At its core, the entirety of mining works this way, whether you’re tapping on a boulder with a rock hammer or gouging out the face of a mine tunnel deep in the bedrock, the core mining mini game will also operate in the same way and with the same rules. Instead the formation of the “board” of the mining game will change to reflect local conditions, while the “moves” you have at your disposal will change based on the tools you have at your disposal and your mining skill.

Of course, there is some metagaming at work here as well. Ore isn’t evenly distributed around the world, and you’ll get more out of the rock face in a mine than you will out of a random boulder, so the trick, when it comes to playing a master miner in Theleston is that you’ll want to find the deep places of the world and exploit them. For many, this fosters the ambition of opening a mine of your own, but a word of warning: It doesn’t quite work that way.

There are existing mines and quarries in the world, of course. There’s even a quarry on the island housing Crowns Rock. These are places where Theleston’s equivalent of modern industry hold sway. Large, relatively safe and heavily guarded locations, these are great places for a neophyte to get some experience, taking up a pickaxe and mining for the guilds that manage them while learning the ropes. They’re even good places for a freelancer to gather their own materials, if an arrangement can made with the owners, but what they aren’t is a mine built and worked by players. That takes a little more, something like storyteller magic.

Much like the camp system, player created mines will spring up based on use, on Gold Servers. There, if you form a camp near a rock face and begin to mine it, NPCs will be attracted to the site and eventually the storytellers will convert this into a mine. On standard servers, mines are a lot less likely to appear, but on either server type, the deep places of the earth, be they pre-existing mines, caves, dungeons, or other stranger wyrmings into the rocky depths, will always hold riches for the miner with a good eye and a strong pick.

Books are precious, they should be locked away with the liquor

Play minesweeper, get minerals. It is interesting, but I am a little disappointed this wasn't in the form of 'day in the life' fanfiction though. 6/10

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 5, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We've got a pretty sweet screenshot of a library upgrade this week, and also something about politics. https://forums.revivalgame.com/discussion/1110/weekly-blog-update-57-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-politician

quote:

Weekly Blog Update #57: A Day in the Life of a Politician

Ombwah: about 12 hours ago

Weekly Update

Hello Revivalists! We’re creeping up on the end of the year around here, and nearing the end of Stage One as well! The Renovation kits for founder homes are looking great, and the Estates are slowly but surely being populated for sale. These are the last two things holding us back from release, and then it’s on to stage 2. Stick close, we’re going to make these last couple weeks before the break count!

Renovate an upgradeable room with a Library Kit WOW!!!

Great Minds of Theleston

There has been some talk off and on for a long while now about what property owners can do to improve the outdoor facilities around their homes, and what sorts of amenities property holders can vote to have added to their neighborhoods.

This week’s Day in the Life follows Jerem, a harvester and salesman of reagents from the mountain forest region, and resident of Falcreek.

Jerem owns a small house at 7 Echo Trail, in the neighborhood known as Fern Hill. His business, though, sends him downriver to Tide’s End once or twice a week. Though long, the trade road isn’t particularly dangerous most of the time, and after riding with a few caravans, and even making the trip on foot once or twice, Jerem decided that it would be most convenient for him to be able to make the trip on his own schedule, and invested in a horse. Now trusty Artax allows Jerem to make the trip between Tide’s End and Falcreek in half of the time it would take him to walk, and that’s great for his business and his personal schedule.

However, Jerem hadn’t considered the cost of stabling his beast during his off time. While Jerem is in Tide’s End, this isn’t a huge concern, as his preferred inn, the Sanguine Hearth, will stable his trusty mount with the cost of his stay. Back home in Falcreek though, this has become a problem. Jerem’s house doesn’t have (nor will support) a stable, and Fern Hill hasn’t got one. So, whenever Jerem returns home to Falcreek, he’s faced with the expense of stabling his horse at the Caravan House Stables for a daily fee, or letting it wander untethered and exposed to the risk of theft, murder, or simply allowing the animal’s loyalty to dwindled so low that it flees. None of these option appeal to Jerem. He will need to work to get a stable addition to his Fern Hill neighborhood. Then the upkeep will be spread over the residents of the neighborhood, and Jerem will have a safe stable for his horse.

First, though Jerem will have to convince the other residents of Fern Hill to agree to vote on the addition, and to commit to the heightened cost of living. That process is a little lengthy, but Jerem is a landowner, and a privilege of such is that he can put forth a proposal at the neighborhood level. To do this, Jerem just has to head over to the neighborhood message board and set it up. This entails selecting a proposal for upgrade, an empty location in the neighborhood that will accept the chosen upgrade, and posting any arguments in favor of the vote in the message section. When he is finished, the proposal will run out a period of about one in-game month (indicated on the proposal,) and then will be enacted or cancelled as the wishes of those property holders in the neighborhood, both NPC and PC, have chosen.

After Jerem has put forth a proposal, or been made aware of an active proposal, he has another option to help him to sway the minds of the populace. Over the period of the petition, Jerem, or anyone that knows of it may create a pamphlet in favor or opposition to the vote that, when distributed, may affect the minds of those that read it. The tax hike on adding a stable to one’s neighborhood isn’t that high, and a stable is a very useful addition to a neighborhood, so Jerem, who has no skill at pamphleteering himself, just puts forth the proposal and adds a note about bringing Fern Hill into the future.

Unfortunately, the voters in Fern Hill are either not interested in the future, or they’d rather not pay the new tax. Maybe there were just not a lot of votes, but Jerem’s proposal fails. He is assured that he can put it forth again after a waiting period, but this isn’t enough for Jerem. He’s losing money every day that he’s got to put his trusty mount up at the Caravan House Stables, and what’s worse, the limited number of stables at the Caravan House have filled up more than once, leaving Jerem with no choice but to find another, potentially even more costly, solution.

Jerem is not discouraged, though, there is another option that he can pursue. Once each game-year an election is held in each neighborhood in Falcreek. Those elected in this process become representatives of their neighborhood for a one-game-year term, and can make proposals at the city-level. Fern Hill’s representative, Loren, is a player that Jerem knows and can get in touch with fairly readily. He sends a note to her asking if the two of them can set up a time to talk about any options Loren has to help Jerem out.

A few days later, Loren and Jerem meet up to discuss what Loren can do. There are a couple of sites in Falcreek that could fit a new stables, one that is even near Fern Hill. From within the Town Hall, Loren can propose changes on a citywide level that are otherwise very similar to the proposals available to Jerem on the neighborhood level. Even the process is the same. This time though, Loren and Jerem have pamphlets made and spread them liberally around the city of Falcreek over the next month of game time.

This time, their diligence is rewarded, and Loren’s proposal to have Bearbend Park fitted with a public stables for the citizens of Falcreek passes easily. While it might cost a little more than a private neighborhood stable would to house his horse at the new stable, it will be far less than the Caravan House, and Jerem won’t have to compete with the caravan teams for space. That’s a victory for him.

Inspired by their success, Jerem talks with Loren about the job of elected neighborhood rep. When Loren’s term is up, Jerem runs for representative, and with Loren’s help (and some judicious application of pamphlets) he wins. Jerem steps into his new business as a broker of change. As elected representative, Jerem is sensitive to the needs of those who, like him, make their livings by their own hand, and is quick to help with proposals in both his local Fern Hill, as well in the greater bounds of the city of Falcreek itself.

As an independent, who came up from his own efforts at business, Jerem is sensitive to the needs of his constituency, and supportive of his republic. He has heard that Valir, far to the East, has recently become an oligarchy, where the only voters are those at the head of a guild. The proposal has yet to be raised in Falcreek, but you can bet that Jerem, Loren, and those like them will ready sharp words when and if the debate ever comes to them.

Animae beckons

Did you see the wall treatment in that library? Wow. Almost makes me wish I had $200 to spend on an imaginary house. Almost.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

So I can roleplay Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, but with making GBS threads, insanity, and orgy buffs?

11/10 goty every year forever

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"What if videogames were real life?" - Tim Buckley and also Revival Devs

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SatansOnion posted:

So I can roleplay Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, but with making GBS threads, insanity, and orgy buffs?

11/10 goty every year forever

I know, right? That tale of the quest for a cheap stable was so enthralling this week's update is about stables too. Squee! https://www.revivalgame.com/blog/60-weekly-blog-update-58-stables-and-mounts

quote:

Weekly Update

Hey everyone!

Here we are on the week before the holiday break. I know a lot of you are gearing up for some serious gaming over the holidays. We’ll be releasing a patch in the coming days that is essentially a patch for bugs and a better installer that makes sure you are always up to date - as well as making sure you’re not trying to login without a house in your account.

Corey is heavy at work with our friend system on the website. This is the beginning of the gifting system, which unfortunately does not seem like it will be done until after the new year. The renovation kits are still being worked on but shouldn’t be that much longer. The artists have been extremely busy on this last push!

WIP - They've been working really hard.

Great Minds of Theleston

Stables are an important part of any culture that relies heavily on animals for travel or husbandry. Just like the stables in the arena, stables have physical capacities. You can pay in-game currency to stables to store your mount but it will be visible by all players, even when you go offline. Naturally this does mean your mount is at risk of being stolen, killed or other things.

This is a big deal when you are trying to decide what to do with your trusty travel companion. There are multiple things that can be done here. The easiest way for the player on an in game budget (mounts will be very expensive) is to just rent a mount for their purposes. You can rent an ox to carry your gear or a quick stead to get you from A to B. Just note though, unless you have a high skill in animal taming… they probably won’t stick around when poo poo hits the fan. You can purchase mounts from specific types of stables. Usually the public stables aren’t the same places you would buy/sell a mount, but you definitely could find one.

The third option is to store a mount using SP. Just like with drydocking boats, this will put your mount in a storage location where it will be safe until you need it again. Be warned though, there will always be a time recall penalty when you do this, as well as a cool down time so you can’t just make your mount disappear if you’re running from someone. Like with everything SP, we want to cater the experience to make it so you can have a comfortable time but also keep our roots with the brutality of the world of Revival. There are many things you can do with SP in stables and on your mount to compliment this.

When wanting to do quick stabling or find a place to tie your mount up to while you walk around, you want to keep in mind the neighborhood security. Sure you can get that stupid cheap stable at the lower gate… but just be mindful of how long you are gone and keep an eye out for shady characters. When you are out and about, make sure you tie your mount up or they may just start wandering off on you. You can buy ties that have special locks on them too so other players can’t just come troll you by releasing your mount on you behind your back. If your taming is really high, and your mount is very loyal, your mount might not need to be tied down and will naturally follow your orders without hesitation.

We covered pet taming and being a beast master before. But what about the kinds of mounts and their rules in Revival? First, let’s be real clear on something. Just like everything in the world of Revival, we are a world that is steel first - magic second. Magic or otherwise supernatural powers are definitely present in the world. However, we put them out in small bits so we can play with the powerful high end of the spectrum for a long time. You can expect a similar scenario with mounts. There are no flying mounts, for technical reasons as well as the fact it just doesn’t fit in our fiction. You will also rarely see anything outside of our versions of the Equidae, Camelidae, or Bovidae family of species. We’ll have a wide variety within those and they’ll definitely have noticeable differences.

It is important to note that characters that can tame creatures to extremely high levels can certainly mount them (if they are capable of doing so). However, some creatures, no matter your skill - just cannot do this. This is also further pressed with master skills, which we have stated are limited based on numerous factors. Our goal is to make the world feel believable, consistent and make it so that when you do see something exotic - it truly is exotic.

WIP - A furniture piece from the renovation kits

Store your mount with gold in a stable, and it is still at risk of being killed or stolen. Store your mount with SP (Standing Points) and it is 100% safe. You earn some SP just for playing the game, but you can also buy SP with real life cash money. Standing points are basically a metacurrency that let you buy all sorts of things. (not pay to win)

If you are curious about this amazing totally not pay to win feature, someone gathered all the dev posts about Standing Points here: http://revival.rappywiki.com/?SP Highlights include temporary PVP immunity, and insurance so if your stuff gets jacked you don't lose anything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What else is Illfonic up to, you ask? Cutting edge stuff. Like a Zombie Survival FPS! :zombie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSdC-2KHsoo

Head over to the forums if you want to enter for an early access key giveaway! http://forums.movinghazard.com/index.php?/topic/6-early-access-giveaway/

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Naturally this does mean your mount is at risk of being stolen, killed or other things.
:quagmire:

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

What else is Illfonic up to, you ask? Cutting edge stuff. Like a Zombie Survival FPS! :zombie:

I do not know if I want loving in this one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I do not know if I want loving in this one.

Do not invite a zombie to perform oral.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

On the other hand, maybe they're going for HellMOO with graphics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Angela Christine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSdC-2KHsoo

Head over to the forums if you want to enter for an early access key giveaway! http://forums.movinghazard.com/index.php?/topic/6-early-access-giveaway/

Gee, I've always wondered what Dead Island mixed with Call of Duty running at 10fps would look like :v:

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Adventure Pigeon posted:

On the other hand, maybe they're going for HellMOO with graphics.

I miss old hellmoo. Likely rose tinted glasses.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The thing that gets me is that these devs could fulfill every single point in their design document and the game would still be completely unplayable.

This is the MMO with some 200 skills, right?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The thing that gets me is that these devs could fulfill every single point in their design document and the game would still be completely unplayable.

This is the MMO with some 200 skills, right?

And some of those skills are secret, iirc, which means that someone has to figure them out, somehow, and maybe pass them along to others.

G O T Y 5EVA

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

One of the devs was on some podcast. I don't like podcasts so I didn't watch very much. Apparently they plan to sell swords IRL. If anyone wants to mine for funny, it's here: http://www.twitch.tv/feedmepixelslive/v/31177643

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Angela Christine posted:

One of the devs was on some podcast. I don't like podcasts so I didn't watch very much. Apparently they plan to sell swords IRL. If anyone wants to mine for funny, it's here: http://www.twitch.tv/feedmepixelslive/v/31177643

Are you going to buy a sword?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Reclaimer posted:

Are you going to buy a sword?

If I was the sort of person who bought swords I'd already have some. :colbert:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Angela Christine posted:

If I was the sort of person who bought swords I'd already have some. :colbert:

You have swords!?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A dark and foreboding christmas to all!

Those revival devs never stop working though. Even on christmas day they are chugging out the devblogs. Fishing minigame today! Can't have fish pie without fish. Can't have fishing pacts without fish.

quote:

Weekly Blog Update #59: Fish Stories

Happy Holidays! As you can probably imagine, it’s an admittedly slow week at the studio, given that the holidays are here and many of us are taking some time off to be with our families and other loved ones, this week. I actually started writing this blog on Monday, so that I would have it ready without giving up my own family time. It's been that sort of week, for sure. Still, we haven't been completely unproductive, I assure you!

We’ve been working on the next patch, a bug fixing patch, in addition to the push we’re making to complete stage 1. In truth I’d been racing the patch with the blog, but Dan beat me handily and the patch went live on Tuesday, so if any of you founders haven’t downloaded the patch yet, you might want to fire up the patcher and do so when you’re able!

One quick note: In the event that you have any sort of problem, uninstall your current copy of the game and then download the patcher again from the download page here:

https://www.revivalgame.com/download

That should get you around any problem you encounter. We're not actually expecting problems, but with the holiday, I wanted to provide a "quick" work around so that no one is stuck waiting during the holiday break!

WIP Shot - Work continues on the Ritual Rooms

Great Minds of Theleston

One of the more memorable blogs that we put out was the blog about whaling and what we generally call "Commercial Fishing." The idea of plying the high seas with a crew as you seek out the big game of the sea is certainly a compelling one, so I suppose I can understand that, but I have to admit that I was still a little surprised. Whaling has a high payoff, for sure, but it seems like hard work. If I was going to take up the life of a fisherman, I think I’d spend my time closer to home… a lot closer to home even, like on dry land. Yep, I’d much rather spend my time with a fishing pole, a bucket of bait, and a collection of my own hand-made lures. I’m talking pole fishing. The kind you can do with a beer in one hand! ;)

Well, OK, in truth there’s more to it than that in Revival, but that shouldn’t come as a surprise. Still, at the abstract, pole fishing is a relatively simple idea; pick a hook or a lure, add bait (or don’t), then cast and start fishing. In reality though, each step of that simple process is a process in and of itself. Let’s talk about lures, for example.

Lures aren’t the plastic or silicon or rubber affairs you might find at a sporting good store, for example. Instead they’re made by hand, crafted just like any other object in the world. It might seem strange, but crafting hooks and lures and tying flies are actually part of the jewelry crafting trade, mainly because of the mechanics and equipment involved. Different lures will behave differently in the water and they will attract different types of fish as a result. How well they do what they’re meant to is a factor of how well they’re crafted and what materials were used. Even after having acquired or created a collection of lures, some thought is going to have to go into which ones you use and how you fish with them.

Bait is no different. Preparing bait is a simple use of the butchering crafting skill, but how and where you cut is going to play a part in how well it attracts different types of fish as much as what sort of meat you’re using as bait in the first place. And just like what sort of hook or lure you use, you’ll have to consider what sort of bait your using and the sorts of fish you expect to find when it comes time to bait the hook and cast.

The moment when you cast is when the fishing minigame itself begins. Casting is sort of a "gestural" game, where you draw out the arc of your cast with your mouse. Once your lure is in the water, the trick is to work the line so that the lure behaves the way it's meant to and hope it attracts a fish who takes a bite. Then, as long as you can set the hook with a quick jerk of the pole, the game is on and the fight between fisher and fish begins in earnest. Assuming you can haul that fish in without breaking the line, dislodging the hook or breaking your pole, you'll win the day and have a story to tell.

Of course, the "how" is only half the story, right? Any fisher worth their bait knows that rivers, lakes and ponds are their own little worlds, with their own legends and myths. From an old mill pond with the oldest catfish you ever saw, to the rushing river known for its yearly salmon runs, the environments and stocks of fish can all be different. You may even encounter unique fish with their own personalities, like the Ol’ Wily Cat in the mill pond whose “mouth is as big as your head is wide” or the trout in the lake that always slips the hook (the only way to catch it is with a weddin’ ring, I hear…) Each presents their own adventures and challenges to fisherfolk and "progression" is as much about what you learn about the behavior of the fish you seek and what you've managed to catch.

While the fishing mechanics create a pretty fun and compelling fishing experience, they don't really explain fishing's importance, or even really its role in the world. If you're not making your own lures and preparing your own bait, it could even be an expensive habit. So what does fishing get you in return? Well, a couple of things. I suppose the most important thing though is that pole fishing is the only way to acquire certain types of fish, many of which have unique properties that make them valuable to cooks, alchemists, mages and others. Even journalists and artists will seek out particular catches for the unique inks and pigments that can be made from them. As an angler, you may not be dealing with the same sort of volume that commercial fisherfolk see fishing from boats, but the types of fish that can be caught and the unique ingredients they offer crafters means there will always be demand for an angler's catch and for the efficient and skilled angler, fat profits can be made trafficking in rare ingredients that are hard to store and ship. Ingredients like that can demand a high price, both in the market at large and when sought after by individual buyers seeking to secure a reliable source of reagents for their work.

For some, the economic bounty of the fish caught will be reward enough, but for the true anglers, the glory is in the size and nature of the catch. It's not enough to bring home a feast of fishes, a true angler wants to catch the king of the pond or river they fish. Revival will offer that experience organically; as fish slip hooks and get away, they will earn tags and those tags will change the fish. One might become more intelligent, or more wiley, or larger and more aggressive. If that fish continues to survive, it might eventually earn itself a name and a local legend. And, in catching that legend of a fish, the angler might become a part of that legend, gaining in reputation and, perhaps, even wisdom along the way.

Or maybe, just one hell of a story about the one that got away.

WIP Shot - A bowl, typically used in rituals

Revival: Yes you can fish!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Angela Christine posted:

Step 1) sell jpegs of houses for a game that will never exist
Step 2) sell these people swords to commit seppuku once they realize game will never release
Step 3) take the money and run after no more plaintiffs exist???

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Angela Christine posted:

A dark and foreboding christmas to all!

Those revival devs never stop working though. Even on christmas day they are chugging out the devblogs. Fishing minigame today! Can't have fish pie without fish. Can't have fishing pacts without fish.

Revival: Yes you can fish!

WIP Shot: A bowl

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

randombattle posted:

WIP Shot: A bowl

Still more progress than star citizen.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Is it really though? At least star citizen has pictures of spaceships. Spaceships are cooler than bowls and dingy houses.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

randombattle posted:

Is it really though? At least star citizen has pictures of spaceships. Spaceships are cooler than bowls and dingy houses.

Look at that bowl though. That's worth at least half a space ship.

Just look at it!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Maybe if it was a limited edition military type of bowl that is only gonna be sold for a few hours.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

So I could fish intentionally badly and grind out a pond of legendary boss fish?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

UnwiseTrout posted:

So I could fish intentionally badly and grind out a pond of legendary boss fish?

That would be so cool. Anybody remember the days of killer carp in Dwarf Fortress? Those were the best thing.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I heard the words fishing pact. You have my ax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

The idea of fish becoming so over leveled they are impossible to catch is hilariously stupid.

• Locked thread