Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah. Doctor Strange plays that role in the comic, but the show saw a chance to go 90's, so they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

Yeah. Doctor Strange plays that role in the comic, but the show saw a chance to go 90's, so they did.

It's at least kind of clever in that it's a way to beat the big G that isn't just Reed waving the Nullifier at him and going "I'll do it this time, for really reals!"

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

McSpanky posted:

Exhibit for the defense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiwT-mGEzhE

I leave you in mortal hands :spooky:

This is the best thing that has ever happened in comic book related media. If this doesn't happen in the MCU Infinity Wars movies, with Nic Cage coming out of nowhere after Thanos has beaten everyone down, then Marvel/Disney is full of loving fools.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
90s Spider-Man and X-men are both so bad they're good. Both are super enjoyable.

Put out an APB...

FOR SPIDER-MAN

(episode ends)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
This is mostly true, but also every word Apocalypse says is Shakespeare tier.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The voice actor John Colico was also Kor the Klingon on DS9, and every line he spoke was beautiful.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

jscolon2.0 posted:

This is mostly true, but also every word Apocalypse says is Shakespeare tier.

He was always great when on screen
(forward to 1m in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FXsFXFtHSg

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

X-Men was good if you were familiar with the comics, but it was so all over the place that it could get pretty incomprehensible at times.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
X-men was incomprehensible even if you know the X-men, it was also badly acted and animated making it harder. Luckily you were nine and didn't give a poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

90s Spider-Man and X-men are both so bad they're good. Both are super enjoyable.

Put out an APB...

FOR SPIDER-MAN

(episode ends)

SHOOOCKEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

X-men was incomprehensible even if you know the X-men, it was also badly acted and animated making it harder. Luckily you were nine and didn't give a poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dario the Wop posted:

The voice actor John Colico was also Kor the Klingon on DS9, and every line he spoke was beautiful.

Also, Count Baltar on the original Battlestar Galactica.

Die Laughing posted:

Nova. She becomes a herald of Galactus in exchange for sparing Earth like Norrin Radd and Zenn La.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_(Frankie_Raye)

EDIT: Ignore the link. Keeping it because it's kind of funny.

Ah I was kind of hoping that Carol had appeared in an animated show other than 90s X-men before EMH.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

twistedmentat posted:

Also, Count Baltar on the original Battlestar Galactica.

Ah I was kind of hoping that Carol had appeared in an animated show other than 90s X-men before EMH.

Didn't they technically briefly show her in a Rogue flashback on the 90's X-men? :v: Or something like that. I feel like she was very briefly on screen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Didn't they technically briefly show her in a Rogue flashback on the 90's X-men? :v: Or something like that. I feel like she was very briefly on screen.

There's an episode where they explain Rogue's backstory. So they show Rogue take her out in the Ms. Marvel black swimsuit costume, then later show that Carol is in a coma.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Please do not sass the voice acting of the 90s Marvel shows, aka the only genuinely great thing about them. Even Kevin Conroy's Batman isn't nearly as iconic as Cathal J. Dodd's Wolverine or Christopher Daniel Barnes' Spider-man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because you were nine yeah.

They were both still hilariously bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Please do not sass the voice acting of the 90s Marvel shows, aka the only genuinely great thing about them. Even Kevin Conroy's Batman isn't nearly as iconic as Cathal J. Dodd's Wolverine or Christopher Daniel Barnes' Spider-man.

Blasphemy. If that were true those guys would still be getting calls to do those voices.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToastyPotato posted:

Yea, that's what I said. Briefly in that X-men episode where they looked into Rogue's powers. It did get mentioned a fair bit though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lurdiak posted:

Eh whenever I read comics with Wolverine, I hear Steven Blum's version over Dodd's

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that's what I said. Briefly in that X-men episode where they looked into Rogue's powers. It did get mentioned a fair bit though.

If memory serves Rogue touched Mystique and the dormant Carol personality briefly took over and shape shifted to her own form.

Tat show as really, bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Blasphemy. If that were true those guys would still be getting calls to do those voices.

That's a load, it's all about union vs non-union in the voice acting world.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I am always somewhat shocked when I see a reminder of how complicated the voice acting world can be. It is kind of nuts. I dunno why but the union vs. non-union lines seem much more jagged for VAs than in other areas of the entertainment world, but it could just be a matter of perspective as an outsider.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Non union talent is treated really poorly and it used to be the norm, so people who are willing to work non-union today are basically seen as scabs.

Just as an example, the english voice cast of Pokemon asked for a raise after 10 years of voicing a very popular show, and they were all immediately fired and replaced.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Non union talent is treated really poorly and it used to be the norm, so people who are willing to work non-union today are basically seen as scabs.

Just as an example, the english voice cast of Pokemon asked for a raise after 10 years of voicing a very popular show, and they were all immediately fired and replaced.

I mean, poo poo. There are definitely union and non-union lines that are generally not crossed in other areas of TV and movie production, but VA stuff always seems so much more vicious. I guess it is like you said, it was the norm for so long, that VAs trying to fight for their rights now are still getting curb stomped. I remember hearing something about some kind of strike or threatened strike of VAs a few weeks ago.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Medullah posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the only scene he's in? Like, no build up, no follow up, he's literally just Ghost Rider Deus Ex Machina?

Yes, yes it is.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because you were nine yeah.

They were both still hilariously bad.

Fool, I will pop my claws and waive them around angrily until a robot or door panel presents itself for actual stabbing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ultragonk posted:

Best superhero cartoon series? 90s X-Men? 90s Spider-man? Justice league? It's Spider-Woman isn't it.

The Tick

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

christopher daniel barnes is union, chief

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
And he voiced one of the Spider-Man in that Shattered Dimensions game. It makes sense that they didn't bring him back for the more recent cartoons, since his Spider-Man was in college and Spectacular and Ultimate are about 15 year olds.

But it's also true that his Spider-Man is no where near as iconic as Kevin Conroy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

christopher daniel barnes is union, chief

I will have you know the voice I like is objectively, canonically correct.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

And he voiced one of the Spider-Man in that Shattered Dimensions game. It makes sense that they didn't bring him back for the more recent cartoons, since his Spider-Man was in college and Spectacular and Ultimate are about 15 year olds.

But it's also true that his Spider-Man is no where near as iconic as Kevin Conroy.

He does black suit, Superior and another Spidey costume in Marvel Heroes though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The thing is Conroy was such a huge part of Batman that even some non comic fans know who he is (or his voice at least). Try asking the same of the other actors. It also helps that Conroy continued to play Batman long after the original series ended.

Edit: while stylishly impressive some of the Batman episodes have really agreed badly. The style is the main thing it had going for it over the Marvel cartoons (okay, I guess the writing for the most part too but to young kids it doesn't really make much of a difference). I would argue that Gargoyles was the better cartoon because it aped Batman's style but told a better long form story.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 26, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Skwirl posted:

He actually was in the newest Ultimate Spider-Man voicing an alternate reality version of Spidey. :)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Madkal posted:

The thing is Conroy was such a huge part of Batman that even some non comic fans know who he is (or his voice at least). Try asking the same of the other actors. It also helps that Conroy continued to play Batman long after the original series ended.

Edit: while stylishly impressive some of the Batman episodes have really agreed badly. The style is the main thing it had going for it over the Marvel cartoons (okay, I guess the writing for the most part too but to young kids it doesn't really make much of a difference). I would argue that Gargoyles was the better cartoon because it aped Batman's style but told a better long form story.

Honestly, the only way some of them have aged badly is in animation or writing. The art direction, voice acting, and music were basically flawless and totally beyond any other cartoon running at the time. Granted, there might be 20-30 episodes of the entire series with some rough animation or a less than stellar script, but even then the show was more than the sum of its parts. It was clearly intended to be mostly standalone episodes with little overarching continuity, so I don't downgrade it for not telling a long form story. It wasn't trying to do that in the first place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There were five different animation studios that did the show so the quality of animation varies wildly between episodes. One of them, AKON, was even fired for doing lovely work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

I would argue that Gargoyles was the better cartoon because it aped Batman's style but told a better long form story.

I think that's a point against Gargoyles, if anything, because it was really hard to know what the gently caress was going on if you tuned in halfway through the series. Batman very wisely chose to treat each episode as a mini-movie, and this is especially obvious in the first season, as everything he experienced felt more like a complete story than "just another adventure for our heroes" like the much worse New Adventures series.

I agree that Batman had some pretty shoddy episode, but taken as a whole, the series is way better than its contemporaries, and some of its better episodes are pretty much unmatched by any comic book show to come after.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

There were five different animation studios that did the show so the quality of animation varies wildly between episodes. One of them, AKON, was even fired for doing lovely work.

I wonder if these were the same 5 that were doing Tiny Toons, because wasn't one of THEM fired for being so lovely as well? (Anyone who remembers Tiny Toons will know which episodes they did since the animation was so ridiculously different and bad and the characters tended to look awful.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Thing is when I read Spider man I hear Christopher Barnes voice and I never even knew his name. When I read Batman I don't hear Conroy because even though he's an iconic Batman so are a lot of people. Conroy, Keaton, Bale, West, hell even Friedle for me, all of them sneak in there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Thing is when I read Spider man I hear Christopher Barnes voice and I never even knew his name. When I read Batman I don't hear Conroy because even though he's an iconic Batman so are a lot of people. Conroy, Keaton, Bale, West, hell even Friedle for me, all of them sneak in there.

You actually hear his Batman voice when you read comics?

Really?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Really?

Personally I hear the Pete Holmes Badman voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Really?

I mean, it is canon.