Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It was the opposite for me. I don't understand why you had to earn upgrades when its not really a skill. You should be able to do everything from the start and it makes no sense that you learn how to do more things as the story progresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It was the opposite for me. I don't understand why you had to earn upgrades when its not really a skill. You should be able to do everything from the start and it makes no sense that you learn how to do more things as the story progresses.

Because a whole game of doing the same things over and over again gets kind of repetitive and boring if there's nothing to spice it up.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dragging down for me is that I haven't seen a sequel to THE World.Ends With You. Game Owned.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jastiger posted:

Dragging down for me is that I haven't seen a sequel to THE World.Ends With You. Game Owned.

Goddamn ain't that the truth. Such great systems used in that game that I've never seen anywhere else, like reducing your level to increase drop rates. Genius system! Why isn't this used elsewhere so I'm not loving hoping for a 1/256 item to get poo poo out of an enemy's corpse?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Crypt of the Necrodancer was super cheap in the Steam Holiday Sale, so I picked it up. I'm a sucker for rhythm games, roguelikes, and Danny Baranowsky, so I thought I'd be in heaven.

The difficulty jump from area one to area two is loving ridiculous. Like, giant red dragon that murders you with one fireball from two rooms away as opposed to giant golden bat that just screams at you kind of ridiculous. It's awesome that I can add my own music and play to it, but it sucks when I have to scrap a run because I just get my poo poo kicked in when the dragon shows up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Start at zone 2 and stick to it until you can beat it (you'll get diamonds for doing this too). Then start from the beginning (all zones mode) and it will be easier for you because you'll have better gear going in. Zones 1 and 2 are trivial compared to 3 and 4, so there's not really a way around learning zone 2.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Crypt of the Necrodancer was super cheap in the Steam Holiday Sale, so I picked it up. I'm a sucker for rhythm games, roguelikes, and Danny Baranowsky, so I thought I'd be in heaven.

The difficulty jump from area one to area two is loving ridiculous. Like, giant red dragon that murders you with one fireball from two rooms away as opposed to giant golden bat that just screams at you kind of ridiculous. It's awesome that I can add my own music and play to it, but it sucks when I have to scrap a run because I just get my poo poo kicked in when the dragon shows up.

The red dragon isn't exclusive to zone 2, it can also spawn as a boss in zone 1 and wreck your poo poo. I think there's a section on fighting red dragons in the codex room. Although you might have to unlock that by saving an NPC first...

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I beat Zone 1 and Zone 2 individually, then decided I wanted to beat the game in true roguelike fashion and started playing only in All Zones mode. I got to Zone 3 and it was full of so much bullshit it made me put down the game. Haven't even seen Zone 4 yet.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
You get better at Necrodancer really fast and All Zones mode is way easier, if you're having trouble with the later areas. That said, the red dragon is the hardest early miniboss by a huge margin, so he can definitely be a bit of a showstopper.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I think the (non-green) dragons are the hardest minibosses in the whole game, not just the hardest early ones.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Xenoblade Chronicles X: The load times are loving atrocious, especially in a skell. Its entirely possibly to rush past areas with high level enemies cause the enemies wont appear until you're long gone. Or on the flipside, you'll think an area is safe then bam, the game catches up and spawns enemies 20 levels higher right on top of you.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

The difficulty jump from area one to area two is loving ridiculous.

Aaand in Xenoblade chapter 9, the difficulty spikes right the gently caress up. To that point it wasn't that hard for me, then you're thrown into a boss fight with 4 mooks and one mid boss and the actual boss all at once. I spent far too long on him (and constantly asking me if I wanted to lower the difficulty was rubbing salt in the wound) and after beating him...there is a second stage. Which required your entire party in skells, which are giant robots. I nearly went bankrupt buying and equipping skells for my entire party, and even then I barely beat the boss with my entire team ko'd and my skell destroyed. Thankfully he only had a percentage of health left...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

You can download Xenoblade's content as free "DLC" from the eShop, causing it to be loaded from the internal storage or an attached hard drive instead of the disc. I only had enough room to download the terrain pack but it makes the biggest difference and I've never had issues with enemies popping into existence suddenly because they took too long to load.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Jastiger posted:

If it's any consolation, they finally released a patch for the phone version that lets it be played on modern devices again. Even if Tigris feels loving impossible to beat on anything above Easy because of how loving impossible it was to control Beat in the third part. :suicide:

But, yeah. It's a shame that they're probably never going to do anything with it again beyond maybe whatever new KH game is inevitably going to come out between now and III's release.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'm having a lot of trouble but it's still fun! I do wish they let you keep your gear between zones 1&2 in story mode. Or maybe they do and I just died too fast.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you've beaten zone 1 I believe you have access to All Zones mode, which is what you should be playing. You don't get to use health upgrades, but it gives you all the fun unlocks like new items to find and you keep your stuff between zones.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm playing Divinity: Original Sin for the first time now that there's the enhanced edition or whatever on PS4. At the start you create two characters instead of just one, and you can set one (or maybe both?) to have an AI personality during conversations, but if you choose not to, which is the default, you control both during conversations with each other. Which is great, and not at all what I'm complaining about.

What I don't like is that if they disagree on a choice, it plays this dumb rock-paper-scissors game where the winner of that wins the argument and their decision is the one that gets made. Which would be great for co-op, where one player controls each character, but if I'm playing solo and controlling both it would be great if I could just pick which side wins. I know I could just choose not to have them disagree but I'm one of those doofuses that likes to role play my characters in an RPG :saddowns:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Morpheus posted:

Also the fact that you think the combat system breaks when you're against more than a couple opponents doesn't mean the combat breaks, it means you need to change up your tactics.

I really liked Witcher 3 but the combat is janky as hell. Not being able to jump in combat is a terrible design choice. I've gotten attacked by harpies or sirens by a log or on the shore of the beach and I can't get away because Geralt is stuck on something and now I'm in combat so I can't jump and then dead.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Does it still have that bug where whenever you click on an NPC they'd tell you their entire life story in a thousands words of hideously florid and overwrought text as though Pratchett and all the Pythons had got roaring drunk and were mindlessly vomiting in your face?

Cos that was really annoying.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Zombie Boat posted:

I really liked Witcher 3 but the combat is janky as hell. Not being able to jump in combat is a terrible design choice. I've gotten attacked by harpies or sirens by a log or on the shore of the beach and I can't get away because Geralt is stuck on something and now I'm in combat so I can't jump and then dead.

Roll away from the log. Why are you even having problems with sirens and harpies anyway, they're the easiest enemies in the game. Hit them with an Aard blast and they lie on the ground for a million years, waiting for you to insta-kill them.

If you're finding the combat in The Witcher 3 janky, then stop playing it like God of War or Devil May Cry and try figuring out how to kill things. Use the bestiary, it'll tell you how to make everyone die.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I just put the difficulty down to easy on witches 3 cuz I like the game but hate the combat and it's much more enjoyable.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thing dragging down Age of Wonders III: it's too hard. I just can't get past the fourth Elven mission.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

More bitching about Two World's 2. You have to have the analogue stick in perfectly neutral position just to loot corpses, chests or open doors. Being stood perfectly still isn't good enough. There's no drat reason for this.

The interiors are also waaaay too dark. I had to put gamma correction at almost maximum and I have a bright monitor to begin with.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Inco posted:

Roll away from the log. Why are you even having problems with sirens and harpies anyway, they're the easiest enemies in the game. Hit them with an Aard blast and they lie on the ground for a million years, waiting for you to insta-kill them.

If you're finding the combat in The Witcher 3 janky, then stop playing it like God of War or Devil May Cry and try figuring out how to kill things. Use the bestiary, it'll tell you how to make everyone die.

Oh I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to complain about things here. Also didn't realize Witcher 3s janky combat was actually a git gud situation. Thanks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Does it still have that bug where whenever you click on an NPC they'd tell you their entire life story in a thousands words of hideously florid and overwrought text as though Pratchett and all the Pythons had got roaring drunk and were mindlessly vomiting in your face?

Cos that was really annoying.
Neither of those are good examples of florid or overwrought writing. You know what is? Witcher 3.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Neither of those are good examples of florid or overwrought writing. You know what is? Witcher 3.

Divinity feels like a deliberate attempt at being Pratchett-ian was more my point. And there were absolute reams and reams of it. Whole novels of forced self-awareness and "quirky" or "zany" humour

Music was bloody fantastic though.

Edit: in witcher 1 you could get drunk and argue bad philosophy. W3 can be really overwrought at times, but it's got nothing on 1.

Music was also bloody fantastic.

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Dec 26, 2015

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Ikaruga - it's a great game to be sure but I really dislike the fact that it turns from a shmup to a Simon Says from level 2. I know this is petty but I can't help but feel cheated every time I go from dodging bullets and shooting massive robots to navigating two-colored bullet mazes of various shapes and sizes.

Shovel Knight - the game would really profit from extending the hitting range of the main attack. The hit window of a standard slash is so tiny it turns most battles into shovel jumping sessions. I know this was taken straight from Duck Tales but it worked there when you had lots of stuff to throw at the enemies. You can counter projectiles here, sure, but most of the time it's tedious or frustratingly difficult.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Divinity feels like a deliberate attempt at being Pratchett-ian was more my point. And there were absolute reams and reams of it. Whole novels of forced self-awareness and "quirky" or "zany" humour

Music was bloody fantastic though.

Edit: in witcher 1 you could get drunk and argue bad philosophy. W3 can be really overwrought at times, but it's got nothing on 1.

Music was also bloody fantastic.

Divinity 2 was actually pretty funny but it probably helped that it was an action-RPG so there wasn't a ton of dialogue or story and instead most of the jokes were one-liners you got when using your mind-reading power.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Jastiger posted:

Thing dragging it down for me is the constant loving cockteasing Squeenix has been doing on TWEWY2 for the past eight years.
Also, http://is-there-a-twewy-sequel-yet.tumblr.com/

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Inco posted:

I loved Witcher 3 but yeah the combat is not a strong suit.

First let's talk about the bestiary. Having to open a loving manual to figure out how to kill anything is kinda poo poo. Geralt is a seasoned Witcher. He should know how to kill poo poo. I mean, there are even examples in game of him saying poo poo like "better put on [specific oil] for this battle", so why does everything else have to be a chore. And even then, sometimes the bestiary just sucks. "Weak against Quen" or some bullshit. How is it weak? Can't tell you!

Then there is quality of life poo poo. Why does oil have charges? Why? You have to put a new oil on with each different type of enemy, why not make the oil infinite until it needs to be changed? And then you have bombs and potions which would be a million times more useful if you weren't limited to two of each before having to go back into loving menus to change poo poo around.

And then when all is said in done, 90% of combat is dodge/parry then hit, then dodge/parry then hit.

For all that, the combat in Witcher 3 isn't even nearly as bad as the crafting.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Remember when the prime minister of poland gave president obama a copy of the witcher? He gave the most powerful man in the free world a video game where you gently caress monster women and collect playing cards of their boobies. Or the sequel, I forget, but still.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I like the focus on bestiary entries and stuff like potions and oils in The Witcher series. Yeah sure, Geralt is a badass monster slayer, but even someone like him has some preparations before he goes to work.

I was less fond of gathering ingredients. Just give me merchants or alchemists who sell all of it so there's a single stop before going outside a town/city.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm playing Divinity: Original Sin for the first time now that there's the enhanced edition or whatever on PS4. At the start you create two characters instead of just one, and you can set one (or maybe both?) to have an AI personality during conversations, but if you choose not to, which is the default, you control both during conversations with each other. Which is great, and not at all what I'm complaining about.

What I don't like is that if they disagree on a choice, it plays this dumb rock-paper-scissors game where the winner of that wins the argument and their decision is the one that gets made. Which would be great for co-op, where one player controls each character, but if I'm playing solo and controlling both it would be great if I could just pick which side wins. I know I could just choose not to have them disagree but I'm one of those doofuses that likes to role play my characters in an RPG :saddowns:

Can you explain how you'd like the answers to be if they don't agree? This sounds like everything is working as intended.

Did they really give obama a copy of The Witcher?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
^^ Yeah, i think it's like a national treasure in poland.

Death Zebra posted:

More bitching about Two World's 2. You have to have the analogue stick in perfectly neutral position just to loot corpses, chests or open doors. Being stood perfectly still isn't good enough. There's no drat reason for this.

The interiors are also waaaay too dark. I had to put gamma correction at almost maximum and I have a bright monitor to begin with.

i don't remember this at all. are the dead zones in your controller working alright?

Zombie Boat posted:

besides what inco said, you should have a crossbow at this point so you wouldn't even need to be in melee range.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Krinkle posted:

Remember when the prime minister of poland gave president obama a copy of the witcher? He gave the most powerful man in the free world a video game where you gently caress monster women and collect playing cards of their boobies. Or the sequel, I forget, but still.

No, he gave the most powerful man in the free world a game whose story is about how the most powerful men in the world are hosed up psychos, and where you can go ham in a swimming pool with a sexy babe.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jastiger posted:

Can you explain how you'd like the answers to be if they don't agree? This sounds like everything is working as intended.

Did they really give obama a copy of The Witcher?

CD Projekt Red are Polish, and so were the original Witcher books.

I guess Poland is just proud of it or something because it was a big, successful game.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Really though, what else would Poland have to offer?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

oldpainless posted:

Sausage?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Germany certainly seemed to want them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Resident Evil 4: U3 and Krauser are really bringing an issue I have with this game's boss fights on Professional to a head. It brings up quick time events in the middle of everything and then penalizes you for having your fingers on any other buttons when they come on the screen (you know, like you might when you're actually playing the loving game) and if by some miracle you don't, you have like 0.002 seconds to press the chosen buttons, and if you do, the game might just decide to ignore that and kill you anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I really like War For The Overworld as a basically-a-Dungeon-Keeper-3-we-never-got, but I'm really annoyed that the campaign has at least two "You have {not enough time} to fend of an attack of {too many high level} enemies" missions. I realize that Dungeon Keeper had missions like this too, but they were annoying as poo poo back then as they are now.