Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

at the date posted:

Description of Smythe: tubby, sarcastic, pink-nosed, near-sighted, sensitive about snack food and dogged gimmickposter.

you sure about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
looks like someone cant muster up a decent flame so they craft some failure YOS-strawman. face it dude: chili cheese fries own bigtime. its ok if you're a picky eater but don't put it on me.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
didn't include jewfro in the list

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

man garlic aioli or béchamel are amazing on fries

also the Toronto streetcar is quaint but stupid. when we were there we gave up and walked a lot. we would have Bixi'd more but my partner had recently stuck a wheel in a decommissioned train siding back home in Chicago and wasn't really in riding shape

I should go back, it's a really quick and cheap flight from Midway to Billy Bishop via porter, and the loonie is doing miserable compared to the American Dollar

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

minivanmegafun posted:

man garlic aioli or béchamel are amazing on fries

these are basically just mayo for rich people who think mayo is unhealthy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

aoili is made with eggs and bechemel is butter they're totally different and neither are good on fries

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

qirex posted:

aoili is made with eggs

What do you think mayo is made out of?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

at the date posted:

true

qirex posted:

aoili is made with eggs and bechemel is butter they're totally different and neither are good on fries

aoili is a mayo and made with eggs

also you're totally wrong, they are both awesome on fries. so is a fried egg.

you can try this at Au Cheval, which is steps from the Morgan Pink/Green line stop on the CTA ‘L’

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

things with flavor belong on fries, not just more fat to lubricate them

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

at the date posted:

fresh mayonnaise is a lot better than the canned stuff

return0
Apr 11, 2007
i'm from uk and i find the attitude to bicycles and trains from the us people itt strange and confusing

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm from [small, densely populated island country]. Why even bother owning a car when you can bloody well bicycle to work and walk downstairs to the pub? Why doesn't America just outlaw guns? Why doesn't America just have a 100% national police force? Why doesn't America put CCTV cameras on every street in the country? Pip pip, pass the cucumber sandwiches, old bean, what!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
population density is awesome

the pub you can walk to is the best pub

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
one of my favourite bars is within drunken stumbling distance of my apartment. another is a 10 minute streetcar ride away.

cities are great

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lomarf if you imbibe alcohol in the presence of others instead of at home alone

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

at the date posted:

The worst things to put on fries that I have heard of, an exhaustive list:

1. poutine
2. mayonnaise
3. cheese
4. ketchup
5. chili

Acceptable things to put on fries, assuming they are already salted:

1. vinegar, maybe
2. nothing

Fight me if you disagree. God grant victory to the just.
what a dingus

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

one of my favourite bars is within drunken stumbling distance of my apartment. another is a 10 minute streetcar ride away.

cities are great

hell yeah

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the distance from my favorite bar was weighed very heavily when deciding where to buy a house

also i weighed heavily the fact that this place is very close to a CTA ’L’ station

and very close to a bus line that goes southeast to The Loop through Chinatown

and very close to a north/south bound bus line

also close to a bunch of marked and protected bike lanes that i can take directly to work without going on a single unmarked lane

yeah transit weighed quite heavily despite the fact that i have a car and a 2-car garage

as long as this place doesn't fall down/burn down/wood-rot down it's pretty great! now where did i put my crowbar/paintbrush/ac voltage detector/fire extinguisher/cell phone to call a contractor

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I can walk to multiple bars

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

I can walk to multiple bars

the best bars.

the worst of the six bars you can walk to is still better than any other bar in the city

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the best bars.

the worst of the six bars you can walk to is still better than any other bar in the city

I'm currently in central new Hampshire and can still walk to four bars in 15 minutes lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

I'm currently in central new Hampshire and can still walk to four bars in 15 minutes lmao

lol if you think 90% of americans consider a 15 minute walk "walkable"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mishaq posted:

lol if you think 90% of americans consider a 15 minute walk "walkable"

lol if you think I consider those "people"

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Where i live i have a bus home about every other 10 or 15 minutes, and less when going downtown, i never been on a bus that was late. i was always the one late.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
this morning i wasted an hour waiting to pull my brother away from his family and his oven on christmas morning because the fifteen minute walk to their house from our hotel was unthinkable (and my rental has a flat)

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

rjmccall posted:

this morning i wasted an hour waiting to pull my brother away from his family and his oven on christmas morning because the fifteen minute walk to their house from our hotel was unthinkable (and my rental has a flat)

what does this mean in english

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm taking like 5 trains today for dumb reasons which made sense at the time, will keep yospos updated

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

So far: tube was empty and running fine, surprisingly for boxing day. The Eurostar terminal is very busy though, gonna wait until nearer my trains time so that I can skip part of the queue for security

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

New Eurostar trains are way less sexy than the old ones

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Compare, new:

Old:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Celexi posted:

what does this mean in english

i am visiting my brother's family, but can't stay with him because reasons. my rental car has a flat tire, and it appears to be impossible to get it taken care of on christmas. we intentionally picked a hotel near enough to their house that we could walk, so it wouldn't be that much of a problem, but various people have insisted that my brother pick us up instead, partly because there is a section of this walk that's a country road without much of a shoulder. it is the sort of offer that is difficult to refuse in a family context. my brother has four kids, and he hosted a christmas dinner for like twenty people total yesterday, so this was actually a pretty big imposition, and it was both difficult to get in touch with him (because he was running around away from his phone a lot) and took a long time for him to come over (because he needed to get the turkey in first, i think), so we ended up waiting at the hotel for about an hour so that we could take a three-minute drive

christmas with family is both a madhouse and really wonderful

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

rjmccall posted:

i am visiting my brother's family, but can't stay with him because reasons. my rental car has a flat tire, and it appears to be impossible to get it taken care of on christmas. we intentionally picked a hotel near enough to their house that we could walk, so it wouldn't be that much of a problem, but various people have insisted that my brother pick us up instead, partly because there is a section of this walk that's a country road without much of a shoulder. it is the sort of offer that is difficult to refuse in a family context. my brother has four kids, and he hosted a christmas dinner for like twenty people total yesterday, so this was actually a pretty big imposition, and it was both difficult to get in touch with him (because he was running around away from his phone a lot) and took a long time for him to come over (because he needed to get the turkey in first, i think), so we ended up waiting at the hotel for about an hour so that we could take a three-minute drive

did the rental not have a spare tire or do you not know how to change a tire

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

bump_fn posted:

did the rental not have a spare tire or do you not know how to change a tire

I also have this question

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

It's the one component where there's a expectation of a spare part and all the tools needed to replace it, like a radiator leak or something I could see but just change the tire doofus.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

rjmccall posted:

sounds like ur journey was not very swift!!! :xd:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Good job there wasn't any commienpublic transport around!

Or any pavements wtf

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

like surely either you're in a town and there's pavements or the roads are quiet enough that you can just walk along them/on the verge. Unless literally the only route is a motorway it seems bizarre

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
apparently newer elantras don't come with spares

unrelatedly i do not in fact know for certain how to change a tire; i drive so little that it has just never come up, and i've only owned a car for a total of two years in my life. i assume it is basically jack, unbolt, pull off, push on, rebolt, unjack, inflate to psi on side of tire

i did walk over this morning, and other than having to dodge a couple of unguarded freeway ramps it was totally fine. traffic is really irrelevant once it's at the point that you can't walk in the actual road, which doesn't take much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Shaggar posted:

or maybe consider that steetcars are a bad form of transit

Toronto mixed traffic streetcars are awful compared to true LRT or subways. However even though they get stuck in traffic like a bus, a streetcar is wayyyy more pleasant and comfortable than a bus. Quieter, smooth ride (depending on the driver) and just generally better.

One line of the TTC streetcar (504 King) famously carries more passengers per day than the entire Toronto commuter train network.

But really they should be in dedicated lanes out of traffic or underground but that will never ever happen because "downtown already has enough subways, give some subways to near-rural suburbs"

• Locked thread