Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Also, don't forget that Best Buy still gets periodic stock of Pencils and Smart Keyboards in; that's how I got my Pencil, by refreshing the Best Buy website a couple of times a day and ordering as soon as I saw it update. Got it a couple days later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mediaphage posted:

Also, don't forget that Best Buy still gets periodic stock of Pencils and Smart Keyboards in; that's how I got my Pencil, by refreshing the Best Buy website a couple of times a day and ordering as soon as I saw it update. Got it a couple days later.

Same here. Ship to store took like 4 days tops. Would buy stupidly hard to find thing from them again if needed.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
This seems like a great deal for a Pencil. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/wan/5371241459.html

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Lol! And it's opened!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Got to play around with the Surface Book and iPad Pro w/ Pencil yesterday.

I only got like 15 minutes with each device but I was honestly surprised by how much better and more natural/responsive the Pencil felt in use than the Surface Pen. I tried a bunch of drawing apps and OneNote on both.

Pencil support needs to come to the smaller iPads (not the current ones, obviously).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 23, 2015

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
yeah, I would kill for a mini with pencil support. I'm so hoping for next year.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Got to play around with the Surface Book and iPad Pro w/ Pencil yesterday.

I only got like 15 minutes with each device but I was honestly surprised by how much better and more natural/responsive the Pencil felt in use than the Surface Pen. I tried a bunch of drawing apps and OneNote on both.

Pencil support needs to come to the smaller iPads (not the current ones, obviously).

With the scarcity of the Pencil due to demand combined with the reviews, I think it would be a serious mis-step to *not* have any newer models support the pencil. At the very least the Air line should support it going forward.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah but I think the special stuff under the screen that makes the Pencil work would be too expensive to put into the Mini. Lots of people buy Minis for their children. I don't think the market for Mini+Pencil would be enough for what they'd have to charge.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Call it the Mini Pro, then, and have the regular Mini lag one generation behind?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also- I wonder if the 3D Touch tech that arguably more people want to see come to the iPad would be compatible/cost-effective with Pencil support.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife got an iPad mini 2 for Christmas, and the rear camera seems somewhat grainy. Is expected, or did she get a bum unit?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
What can I use a first gen iPad for? It's my old one, which I had given to my mom, but we got her a Kindle Fire for Christmas so she gave it back.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
First gen iPad should still be fine for safari, Netflix, kindle, etc

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

hooah posted:

My wife got an iPad mini 2 for Christmas, and the rear camera seems somewhat grainy. Is expected, or did she get a bum unit?

iPad cameras are usually pretty grainy.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
the solution here is to never, ever use the back ipad camera

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hooah posted:

How grainy? You'll never get pictures to look as sharp on the retina screen as ones taken with better cameras but it's also definitely possible to get a bum camera unit.

If you're seriously concerned your best bet is probably to A/B it with a floor model at your local Apple Store or whatever.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FordPRefectLL posted:

the solution here is to never, ever use the back ipad camera

This is the answer. That camera is there for apps to do cool things with, like google translate and stuff, it should never be used for photographs.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How grainy? You'll never get pictures to look as sharp on the retina screen as ones taken with better cameras but it's also definitely possible to get a bum camera unit.

If you're seriously concerned your best bet is probably to A/B it with a floor model at your local Apple Store or whatever.

Yeah that's probably the most correct answer if you're super concerned.

IIRC the iPad mini 2 back camera is only 5 MP or something? Basically the same thing or similar to the iPhone 4 or something so pretty old by modern standards anyway.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

tuyop posted:

This is the answer. That camera is there for apps to do cool things with, like google translate and stuff, it should never be used for photographs.

a million times this

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

tuyop posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people take pictures in everyday situations with their iPads around where I live.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

RhoA posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people take pictures in everyday situations with their iPads around where I live.

It's The Whitest Thing I See.

Or maybe the oldest person. I've been kind of wanting to take my laptop to a concert and use the 720P FACETIME CAMERA to one up those people, but that seems like too much, you know? Maybe putting an iPad on a selfie stick is more of a sick passive burn but I don't know.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

tuyop posted:

It's The Whitest Thing I See.

Or maybe the oldest person. I've been kind of wanting to take my laptop to a concert and use the 720P FACETIME CAMERA to one up those people, but that seems like too much, you know? Maybe putting an iPad on a selfie stick is more of a sick passive burn but I don't know.

It would be good but the people you were mocking wouldn't get it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Go to any touristy place around San Francisco to see people taking vacation photos with iPads.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

withak posted:

Go to any touristy place around San Francisco to see people taking vacation photos with iPads.

Coworkers and I have a game where the first person to call out the selfie stick gets a point. iPad on selfie is 5 points. Pro on a stick is 25 (unclaimed...so far)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Pad on selfie is 5 points. Pro on a stick is 25 (unclaimed...so far)

But I was joking! Ugh.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
If you are an old, having a huge viewfinder is way more important than photo quality anyway.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

neonnoodle posted:

If you are an old, having a huge viewfinder is way more important than photo quality anyway.

But it's as cumbersome as a small DSLR, and more expensive!

I think the ease of sharing is probably the primary concern here. Olds just want to show their kids on the face book some pictures of their RV trip to the Grand Canyon. I do think most people prefer convenience over quality for their snapshots, and the large viewfinder does cover the people who don't see good, but not the early 30s dude in a polo shirt.

Edit: named Craig.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Got an iPad pro for Christmas, what is a good keyboard case, or just a regular protective case?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Got an iPad pro for Christmas, what is a good keyboard case, or just a regular protective case?

I got this JeTech case for £12 because I didn't want to spend £125 for Apple's combined smart cover and silicone case and I'm plenty happy with it.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Athletic Footjob posted:

I got this JeTech case for £12 because I didn't want to spend £125 for Apple's combined smart cover and silicone case and I'm plenty happy with it.

Same. They're perfectly fine cases.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tuyop posted:

But it's as cumbersome as a small DSLR, and more expensive!

I think the ease of sharing is probably the primary concern here. Olds just want to show their kids on the face book some pictures of their RV trip to the Grand Canyon. I do think most people prefer convenience over quality for their snapshots, and the large viewfinder does cover the people who don't see good, but not the early 30s dude in a polo shirt.

Edit: named Craig.

Also you look even older with an actual camera than an iPad.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
It occurred to me today that I'm probably more productive using my iPad Pro than a desktop, the multitasking is just enough to let it mimic desktop uses for 99% of what I do. What are the odds they ever make a smart connector dock with a full sized keyboard? In the meantime, I'm pretty sure a Bluetooth (or USB through lightning connector?) keyboard + landscape iPad pro is my new desktop. Any recommendations for a keyboard that would enable this setup? The Matias mini (not wireless) looks great, but I can't find confirmation that it works through USB on the iPad.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Do you need to move the keyboard around a lot? If not your best bet is probably just to head to Best Buy or Fry's and bang on all the BT keyboards they got for a while, then bring home your favorite one and plop it on your desk.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr. Onslaught posted:

It occurred to me today that I'm probably more productive using my iPad Pro than a desktop, the multitasking is just enough to let it mimic desktop uses for 99% of what I do. What are the odds they ever make a smart connector dock with a full sized keyboard? In the meantime, I'm pretty sure a Bluetooth (or USB through lightning connector?) keyboard + landscape iPad pro is my new desktop. Any recommendations for a keyboard that would enable this setup? The Matias mini (not wireless) looks great, but I can't find confirmation that it works through USB on the iPad.

Just get a Logitech K811. That's what I use. Rechargeable and can pair with up to three different devices. I use with both the Pro and my rMBP when it is docked.

I don't know of any keyboard that will work with the Lightning port. The only two smart connector keyboards out there, that I'm aware of, are the two lovely cases (CREATE by Logitech and Apple's Smart Keyboard).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

flosofl posted:

Just get a Logitech K811. That's what I use. Rechargeable and can pair with up to three different devices. I use with both the Pro and my rMBP when it is docked.

I have this keyboard and it indeed owns.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have this keyboard and it indeed owns.

I ALSO have this keyboard and agree 100%. It's awesome. I bought it on this thread's recommendation. It was pricier than some of the other keyboards but it is very very worth it. Was using it with my PC for a while as well. I did a lot of my thesis on my iPad in a coffee shop, using it and my phone, and the easy switching is awesome.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cryptoclastic posted:

I ALSO have this keyboard and agree 100%. It's awesome. I bought it on this thread's recommendation. It was pricier than some of the other keyboards but it is very very worth it. Was using it with my PC for a while as well. I did a lot of my thesis on my iPad in a coffee shop, using it and my phone, and the easy switching is awesome.

They also make a cheaper plastic version that takes AAA batteries supposedly lasting 6 months before needing to swap out. It's the K380 and it will also pair with three devices, no backlit keys. I have a friend that uses it and likes it a lot. Costs about $40.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I also recommend the Logitech BT keyboard. Their stuff is great.

Unlike the majority of the thread, though, I love the ASK; it's perfect and light for carrying to the coffeeshop, or whatever.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The Logitech K380 is on sale for $10 off today on Amazon. So $29.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Wife got me an iPad Air 2 and a Logitech case that's a lot like the Apple Smart Case. But the problem is the grooves for the tablet to set in to sit up aren't very deep and when laying in bed it falls over constantly.

So... would anyone be able to recommend a good case to use in bed? I had an old leather one for my iPad 3 that had good deep creases that allowed it to sit up perfectly on any surface. But those are hard to find now. :(