Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I like what I've seen of a actual localised dialogue so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seagull posted:

Embrace the memes

Your memes... end here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Malig-Knight is great, Hoshido a poo poo, you're all a bunch of Dorcas, peace out bitches.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Man, what a bunch of Jakobs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Man, what a bunch of Jakobs.

Hey. That name pun doesn't work anymore. Really Erks me.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

They called him Niles because the salty tears were enough to make a river.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what happened to dorcas?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

whit happened tae dorcas?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i put bad puns in his translation

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Endorph posted:

what happened to dorcas?

wot happened tae dor-kass?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
bad puns and internet humour may annoy some people but love them or hate them, they're a common point of reference that gets people talking about the game and helps keep it in the public mindspace

the ends justify the memes

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Thuryl posted:

bad puns and internet humour may annoy some people but love them or hate them, they're a common point of reference that gets people talking about the game and helps keep it in the public mindspace

:vince:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Thuryl posted:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Thuryl posted:

behold, this is what is called a good pun

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The majority of people don't know what malig references to without googling it, nor does My Body look out of place unless you're a hardcore Direct watcher.

What I don't understand is changing Harold to Arthur when he has a big H Belt Buckle on his design. That seems like a change for change's sake.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

The majority of people don't know what malig references to without googling it, nor does My Body look out of place unless you're a hardcore Direct watcher.

What I don't understand is changing Harold to Arthur when he has a big H Belt Buckle on his design. That seems like a change for change's sake.

yeah that's weird. like why would you need to change harold to something else for the english release in the first place :iiam:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

A Harold killed the translator's parents.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Brother Entropy posted:

did anyone say reven knight yet

Only if it would come with a new sith lord path.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno, I kinda like Arthur better. Like King Arthur y'know it feels more noble and heroic and poo poo, which seems to fit his character from what i've seen. Yeah it's kinda pointless since there's no real reason to change it but I don't see much harm in it either.

I'm more bothered by stuff like Subaki or Rinkah where they just add or remove a letter or two, at that point why not just change the name entirely. But even that is just really minor stuff that doesn't actually affect anything I care about.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad opinion time: I honestly like most of the name changes i've seen so far or at least don't dislike them at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

arthur's a cool name for him, yeah. it's just odd

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Arthur sounds better to me than Harold, it's just weird that they felt the need to change it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Question for anyone who's played Fates. I understand that you can start a new file from the route split in order to get to another story quicker. Does this force you into using the same avatar or can you make a new one?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That sounds like a neat feature. Would it also function like FE7 in that everyone shows up as if they didn't gain any levels in the skippable chapters?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Does this prompt even show up in the game (without the smash part)? Like you already made that choice when you bought one or the other.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

lets hang out posted:

Does this prompt even show up in the game (without the smash part)? Like you already made that choice when you bought one or the other.

Yeah, the "neither kingdom" choice only shows up if you download Revelation though.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
the digital version has you pick one of the two and locks you in once you make the decision, the other one is purchasable like dlc for a reduced price after you've made your choice

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

So does the digital version include both, so that if you buy the other side all you have to download is a key? Do the physical versions work the same way, with the data for both sides already on each cart and you just need the key? Or do you have to fully download all the data for the side you didn't pick first.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

lets hang out posted:

So does the digital version include both, so that if you buy the other side all you have to download is a key? Do the physical versions work the same way, with the data for both sides already on each cart and you just need the key? Or do you have to fully download all the data for the side you didn't pick first.

If you buy the digital version, you make your choice and then sit there for an hour while it downloads the rest of the game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

There's no way to still get the special edition right? If I have to pay $80 anyway I would much prefer getting a nice box set.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

DrManiac posted:

There's no way to still get the special edition right? If I have to pay $80 anyway I would much prefer getting a nice box set.

There'll probably be more available closer to release.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno, I kinda like Arthur better. Like King Arthur y'know it feels more noble and heroic and poo poo, which seems to fit his character from what i've seen. Yeah it's kinda pointless since there's no real reason to change it but I don't see much harm in it either.

Arthur is more heroic but Harold is much chinnier

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A loved child has many names.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Looper posted:

Arthur is more heroic but Harold is much chinnier

Solution: Harthur.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Thuryl posted:

I will murder you.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd be cool with that because it's a nifty word, but I guess they wanted to avoid it because revenants were zombies in awakening/sacred stones? idk

Just make zombies playable, as they should. :colbert:

Manatee Cannon posted:

I am looking forward to it exactly as much even if some of the name changes are kinda weird/bad

it is still weird to me how they didn't bring back 8-4 tho. awakening was one of the only times I've heard the localization team actually mentioned by people a lot

I was hoping a good translation might help with what I gather was a somewhat disappointingly standard FE plot but that seems unlikely now. :shrug:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Oh no, the plot of fire emblem

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Did you think they were going to rewrite all three games or something

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Raserys posted:

Did you think they were going to rewrite all three games or something

8-4 made some small changes to characters like Henry, Olivia and Cordelia and I think they were for the better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Anatharon posted:

8-4 made some small changes to characters like Henry, Olivia and Cordelia and I think they were for the better!

A dude on Reddit compared the story dialogue from the 30 minute gameplay video from IGN to the Japanese version, and I won't copypaste it all because spoilers, but their takeaway was "So overall--this is a Very Good Sign for the localization's handling of the characters."