Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ritz has been puking on everything the past couple days. New toy? Puke on it. Socks for Christmas? Gonna puke on those. Same couch that I've always had? Yep, puking on that too.

drat horny holiday bird :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My birbs got millet, it is exactly what they wanted today and every day of the year.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm visiting my folks in Florida but the bird sitter sent me this picture today.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

blackflare posted:

What did everyone's birds get from santa this year??

Fed and not cooked into a pie.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i wish the birds werent scared of me i dont do anything to them

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

blackflare posted:

An entire bowl of pine nuts. I don't even know how to describe that degree of puzzled joy.

Dreggon posted:

Someday, my friend, you'll have your Disney/Hitchcock moment. Someday.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 26, 2015

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Dreggon posted:

You are not showing them enough reverence. That is not fear, they are offended that you have not surrendered your house and all of your belongings to them yet, despite their royal decree.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookie got some toffee, like she does every year; she gets SO EXCITED about opening her own wrapping paper :3:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
We didn't have a birbs secret santa this year. That would've been fun.

My bird got a ton of seed and dove into it immediately. I think she bathed in it. Then bit me in retribution/thanks.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My bird got his life saved after I cut him loose from a dishcloth. He chewed a hole in it and then proceeded to get his head stuck in it AND hang from it by the neck. Idiot.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

blackflare posted:

I went home to see my parents over christmas. As I was leaving straight from work, Ozzie got left in his carrier cage next to a cup full of sunflower seeds in the staff canteen. The checkout girls fed him to the point of exploding.

One thing I did notice when I had him at home with my family is that he's gotten a lot more bitey than the last time I had him there. He's fine with me, but almost immediately sinks his beak into anyone else. He's growing up to be a vicious little bastard.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

blackflare posted:

Toast got new jingly balls from me (his old favourite one is ???missing???) as well as sunnies and lots and lots and lots of cardboard and wrapping paper scraps to mangle. From my parents he got a little plastic foraging toy where the bird spins a wheel to open one of five compartments. It might be a bit bit for him so I may have to spin the wheel for him. He likes chewing it at any rate! He also got a cozy little triangular hut/nest, which is similar to one the breeder's lovebirds adore. She's sent me pics of them snuggled up in it and apparently they sometimes pile in two or three at a time :kimchi: And from my brother he's got a fancy multi-branched perch made of a number of sticks threaded onto a metal skewer, with a few big gumnuts and seeds too, which he has declared his new favourite perch.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Is that supbird saiyan 3?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I had a dream about this happening once...

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

jesus christ what is wrong with bird owners

(lots)

:birddrugs:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

saw the title and noped out of that link, but not fast enough to not see the note that "this is the 5th one he's pulled"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

No.

No.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
I can only imagine the consequences of teaching a bird it's okay to pry people's teeth out :cry:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Now I want someone to teach a crow how to do this and then release it into the wild.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Shakenbaker posted:

Now I want someone to teach a crow how to do this and then release it into the wild.

"Yeah man, this crazy human lady kidnapped me and kept forcing my face in her mouth, and wouldn't let me out until I pulled a weird white thing out. It didn't even taste very good."

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Must be a vacuum running nearby

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I spent all day with an African Gray that my SO spent a lot of time with a few years ago. The owner is a professional raptor rehabilitator who hand raised her. She is two years old.

They took us out to dinner and asked if we wanted first right of refusal in their will. They are elderly.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. In getting a cockatiel this spring, and now this prospect too.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

I spent all day with an African Gray that my SO spent a lot of time with a few years ago. The owner is a professional raptor rehabilitator who hand raised her. She is two years old.

They took us out to dinner and asked if we wanted first right of refusal in their will. They are elderly.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. In getting a cockatiel this spring, and now this prospect too.

free african grey though

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I would take a grey that liked me and my partner in a heartbeat. It might suck for it for about a month or so as I'm woefully unprepared financially, but I'd figure something out.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Say yes to the Grey, if you know it's fine with humans and you will get along.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I laughed far too hard at this.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

learnincurve posted:

I laughed far too hard at this.

I was thinking the same thing about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV8d19DRQXM

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My wife loves Greys. I can't get past the idea of having a pet that basically has a pair of pliers for a mouth.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Halloween Jack posted:

My wife loves Greys. I can't get past the idea of having a pet that basically has a pair of tin snips for a mouth.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Frogmanv2 posted:

I was thinking the same thing about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV8d19DRQXM

emus are the most excitable birds

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

There is a very good reason why in telecom people refer to cable shears and conduit snips as either 'cockies beak' or 'cockie cutters'

(with cockie being short for cockatoo, because us Australians love to shorten every word).

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

There is a very good reason why in telecom people refer to cable shears and conduit snips as either 'cockies beak' or 'cockie cutters'

(with cockie being short for cockatoo, because us aussieslove to shorten every word).

ahem

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
just trying to ease them into the slang slowly...

she'll be right

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

just trying to ease them into the slang slowly...

she'll be right

fair suck of the sav

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I know this isn't the kind of birb we deal with, but good life advice.

We had a really sudden and annoying exterminator notice last week (across the hall got bedbugs so we got a preventative spraying, thankfully no sign of the nasty things) so the potatolets had to go to my inlaws for a few days while things aired out (starting on the 22nd, didn't come back til Christmas day). They predictably got absolutely spoiled while they were there, and when they got home they got some new things to forage and chew and yell at. Huxley has this one adorable 'chkchkchk' noise he makes when he's being especially endearing that is the closest he's ever come to mimicking me (it sounds a bit like a kissy sound) and Bradbury has actually picked it up as well. :kimchi: Neither of them is screaming as much, which is a blessing since I'm on a medication that makes me more sensitive to it. Everyone being adorable, and mostly well behaved. A true birbmas miracle.

Bradbury still bit the poo poo out of Mr. anachronism yesterday while he tried to get him to step up to help him get back up to his cage. Birbs. :downs:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I would never shy away from a bird that bites hard, regardless of how big their beak is.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It's one thing to see when it's about to chomp you. You can brace and take it. It's entirely another when you and the bird have fallen asleep, he loses his balance because bird, and sinks three tines half an inch into your flesh to not fall over.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Napping with birds is the most dangerous thing. So often I'll be sleeping only to be woken up by a cockatiel angrily bumping at my nose for somehow offending him. It's cute when it's a cockatiel but man it'd be scary with a grey/too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Eejit posted:

It's one thing to see when it's about to chomp you. You can brace and take it. It's entirely another when you and the bird have fallen asleep, he loses his balance because bird, and sinks three tines half an inch into your flesh to not fall over.

Or into your shoulder because he woke up first and decided he liked the color of your shirt.

Or into your ankle when you weren't looking because you had the gall to read while he was napping.

Angry tin snips