Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Another mosque is on fire in Texas.

http://abc13.com/1136106/
Nope, nothing to see here folks, back to your eggnog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Christian terrorists spent all day radicalizing each other what do you expect. Ban Christmas it's just government funds being used to galvanize the talmudic law extremists

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Luigi Thirty posted:

sad. its sounds like the entire building is hosed too. and the damage has spread to a near by buildings :(

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Luigi Thirty posted:

War On Christmas? Historically Black Churches In The South Keep Getting Burned Down

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Brown people don't count. :colbert:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

computer parts posted:

It's 6.5% black as of the 2010 census. Colorado Springs itself is about 6.3% black.
It's harder to tell when all the streetlights are turned off in CSprings' black neighborhoods.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Brown people don't count. :colbert:

More that race is never an issue in their minds and all other defining characteristics have priority. It wouldn't surprise me if it was reported that DeRay Mckesson's house was firebombed by a Stormfront moderating Klansman that's also a 1% and ][][][%er, conservatives would unabashedly spin it as a man taking a stand against government regulating zoning laws, fire codes, and that the government can never protect you all the time so buy a lot of guns.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 26, 2015

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

One of the more terrible comment sections I've seen, which is saying something.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

GalacticAcid posted:

I'm off to celebrate the holiday, so long for now USPol.

Merry Christmas, Libs!

In all seriousness, how is this not against Twitter TOS? Threatening violence?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

Christian terrorists spent all day radicalizing each other what do you expect. Ban Christmas it's just government funds being used to galvanize the talmudic law extremists

Repeal the Edict of Milan

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 26, 2015

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, that's right. The conservative proponents for a Flat Tax always deflect criticisms of the scheme by promising a certain level of income that won't be taxes in consideration for cost-of-living expenses. Nobody ever calls them out on how that's already a thing that the current system of taxation does, given enough tinkering.
Alternatively, they propose a massive prebate to serve basically the same purpose, while completely ignoring the fact that their party would repeal any such credit right after enacting it. Also, as that link reminded me, they lie about the proposed tax rate, because it's still too high for their base to accept.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bip Roberts posted:

That map only shows rural areas with black people, FYI.

not true, it also shows all the rural areas in america that are 99% white

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

oh my

quote:

Let go of your childhood indoctrination. Muslims and their mosques are a murder club. They are a threat to America and our freedom. It's ok to speak violence against them. And it is ok to burn them out. Burning them out will solve everything. A woman's place is in the kitchen, not the battlefield. Your words are ruled by emotion and not reality. Sit back and let rough men protect you. That is your place. It's ok to burn murder clubs.

like, this reads like a troll until it doesn't if you know what i mean

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Here is Charles Koch bemoaning the welfare state in the US. But he is complaining about corporate welfare.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/charles-koch--we-re-creating-welfare-for-the-wealthy-160454754.html

Kochhead posted:

Charles Koch, the billionaire CEO of Koch Industries, says welfare is making people’s lives worse, but he’s not talking about welfare for low-income parents or the elderly. He’s aiming at a much bigger target. He’s talking about welfare for some of the most valuable companies in the world in the form of government handouts such as tax breaks and subsidies.

Before you go on a rant about how Koch’s own company—the second largest private company in the United States behind Cargill—benefits from the very same corporate benefits, he readily acknowledges that fact.

In his new book, Good Profit: How Creating Value for Others Built One of the World’s Most Successful Companies, Koch writes:

"We advocate the elimination of all these distortions, even those from which we currently benefit – such as ethanol mandates, restrictions on the export of crude oil and natural gas, and import tariffs. As an ethanol producer and large consumer of U.S. crude oil and natural gas, we profit short term from these market distortions. But rules like these – that don’t lead to good profit – leave virtually everyone worse off long term, including us.”

In an effort to change that, Koch is advocating for CEOs to reject the tax breaks and to push for changes in the laws that have netted America’s largest corporations hundreds of billions of dollars. It may seem like a fool’s errand to try to convince a CEO of a massive multinational corporation who must answer to a board and shareholders to forego anything that boosts their company’s bottom line.

It is asking a lot. According to a report from Good Jobs First, which tracks government subsidies, some of the biggest companies in the United States received hundreds of billions of dollars in federal grants and tax credits. General Electric (GE) received $836,000,000 and General Motors (GM) received $529,000,000.

So why would these companies want to give that up? In Koch’s view, the dangers far outweigh the lost profits. He sees a not-too-distant future in which the federal government, largely through the Federal Reserve, will control American companies. If that sounds far-fetched, consider the too-big-to-fail phenomenon of the last decade, in which the federal government, represented by the Federal Reserve chairman, gathered the CEOs of some of the nation’s largest banks in a room and essentially handed them cash and engineered deals that allowed them to remain viable businesses.

It is one example of what Koch describes as the government picking winners and losers and leaving the most needy behind.

"This is creating a two-tiered system where opportunities for the disadvantaged are being destroyed and we’re creating welfare for the wealthy, so it’s unjust,” he told Yahoo Finance editor-in-chief Andy Serwer at the EY Strategic Growth Forum in California. “It’s an unjust system, and it’s making people’s lives worse.”

Household income last year was $53,657 adjusted for inflation, according to the Census Bureau. That’s down 6.5% since 2007, the year before the recession began.

The unemployment rate is down to 5%, but the labor force is at its lowest level since 1977, and the U.S. saw a sharp slowdown in economic growth in the third quarter, growing at just 1.5%.

Would cutting tax breaks and government subsidies for corporations encourage companies to hire? Or would it have the opposite effect?

Koch believes that allowing the free market and the customer to drive companies’ decisions will ultimately benefit the greater good, more so than if the government drives those decisions.

Hey, the policies I have supported have hurt people but now I am going to pretend that I care. BUY MY BOOK!!!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Here is Charles Koch bemoaning the welfare state in the US. But he is complaining about corporate welfare.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/charles-koch--we-re-creating-welfare-for-the-wealthy-160454754.html

Hey, the policies I have supported have hurt people but now I am going to pretend that I care. BUY MY BOOK!!!!

It's more about raising awareness for anti-Cruz issues imo

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

quote:

Wrong Emily. Let go of your childhood indoctrination. Muslims and their mosques are a murder club. They are a threat to America and our freedom. It's ok to speak violence against them. And it is ok to burn them out. Burning them out will solve everything. A woman's place is in the kitchen, not the battlefield. Your words are ruled by emotion and not reality. Sit back and let rough men protect you. That is your place. It's ok to burn murder clubs.

It's like something an evil Ruddha would post

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pixelboy posted:

In all seriousness, how is this not against Twitter TOS? Threatening violence?

A threat of violence? On Twitter? What a rare event.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aliquid posted:

It's more about raising awareness for anti-Cruz issues imo

Who're the Kochs backing now?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

zoux posted:

Who're the Kochs backing now?

Hillary Clinton.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

How is the other half of that post related to Malthusianism?

Anything that pertains to justifying or advocating neo-feudalism in the context of capitalism is pretty loving Malthusian.

Stereotype posted:

I know people are already asking about the second Krugman related weirdness in your posts, but in the first part: why do you think that people are reassured by "tolerable" poverty statistics? Do you think that those volunteering for and giving money to charities support those institutions because capitalism is just inherently flawed and the only possible way of solving poverty is through extra-governmental goodwill of average citizens?

Charities are by default immoral because they further institutionalize poverty by floating the cost of it instead of fundamentally undermining the system therein that creates it. This is entirely why charities in western Africa failed spectacularly.

Stereotype posted:

Personally I think that it is far more likely that no one has any idea what a "manageable" percentage of poverty is (5%? 20%? These are just math numbers), and only really care when they see poverty negatively affecting someone they are personally connected to. I don't understand why you responded to me either, you didn't really address my thesis of "statistics are inherently unrelatable even though they are much more accurate in describing reality"

I think everyone at this point has a family member that is experiencing poverty at this moment, given the economic situation in the US. And people are very capable rationalizing the horrendous poo poo they do than relating to other people. Statistics just so happens to be one of the ways we do it. It's way easier than personally relating to the people you're trying so hard to oppress.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
But do we like said family member?

Quite a few libertarians of my acquaintance base their faith in a Just World on the fact that a relative they don't like is struggling more than they are. That I am doing better than my lazy rear end sibling is proof that the system works at least partly right.

Crab bucket, etc.

Hell, when I spot someone IRL ranting about lazy millennial they usually have a kid who truly is an entitled/lazy brat and they are projecting their anger/frustration with their own offspring onto the cohort at large. "Because my child didn't take the college I paid for seriously and dropped out - wasting the money I paid for tuition! - I conclude that the problems of all of his generation are due to poor work ethic! "

Personal experience trumping statistics.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
People here keep saying the GOP is going to tear itself apart via all the insane people that have taken over, but it feels like when it's actually time to vote, they're just going to keep winning every time, except for presidential elections, and I'm not even totally sure about that anymore. If Hillary wins it's not like she'll be able to do anything but nominate Supreme Court justices and create executive orders. The GOP will still have Congress and the only thing Hillary can do about that is veto eight years worth of bullshit. Is there any hope? I know that redistricting happens in 2020, but how do we know the GOP won't just come out on top again when that happens?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's not just executive orders, it's also having plausibly competent people running the government and its departments. FEMA and the Iraq reconstruction are only the two most blatant incidents of corruption/patronage/idiocy from the Bush Administration.

The GOP is dysfunctional as a party, which is why they rely so heavily on demonization.

I guess that leaves us with Republicans voting because of the Democrat's corruptocommunism, and the Democrats voting because the Republicans are a bunch of corrupt charlatans. Huh, the truth must be in the middle.

P.S. Krugman didn't just 'happen' to become a celebrity, he became one precisely because he spoke out forcefully for liberalism.... especially rare right after 9/11.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Anything that pertains to justifying or advocating neo-feudalism in the context of capitalism is pretty loving Malthusian.

:psyduck: Krugman isn't advocating for neo-feudalism, and neither did Malthus. He was, however, largely in agreement with your opinion on charity. What do you actually think Malthusianism is? Could you just shortly outline what you mean by that term? It might make this discussion easier.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

Supply side theorists, austerity pushers, disciplines of the University of Chicago style neo-liberalist economics, etc.

I wouldn't call supply-side "widely accepted", unless we're talking about people who aren't economists here.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SMMMMMAAAAAALLLLLL PEEEEENNNNISSSSSSSS

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Larch posted:

I wouldn't call supply-side "widely accepted", unless we're talking about people who aren't economists here.

Arthur Laffer is the most influential economist in the last 40 years. Krugman's visibility in the public eye isn't due to his relationship with other economists per se, but due to his writings lambasting politicians for listening to economists that he thinks are in the wrong.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

GalacticAcid posted:

I'm off to celebrate the holiday, so long for now USPol.

Merry Christmas, Libs!

dude's a straight up neonazi. he's even got adolf hitler quotes in his twitter stream

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Shageletic posted:

Arthur Laffer is the most influential economist in the last 40 years.

God drat that's depressing.

I can draw poo poo on napkins too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

maybe he thinks that he doesnt need "training wheels" anymore. maybe he thinks that if they removed all the corporate welfare, his company could just gobble up the struggling competitors.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe he thinks that he doesnt need "training wheels" anymore. maybe he thinks that if they removed all the corporate welfare, his company could just gobble up the struggling competitors.

Its globalist accelerationism - he's certain that if all taxes and subsidies were eliminated overnight the Koch Corporate Empire would be a world power for at least 100 years.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

You know, Iv always wondered what it would be like to be in the position of one of these guys destroying the fabric of American democracy with unlimited amounts of money then to wake up one day and realize I'm actually loving the country. Would be loving horrifying to be honest.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Or the thought that one day, the history books will call you one of the second generation of Robber Barons.

Maybe Koch is actually having a revelatory moment?

Hahahahahahaha no

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A CNN security guard's Iraq vet son was having a breakdown at home and had a gun. He rushed home and attempted to de-escalate the situation, and witnesses say he got him to put the gun on the hood of a car.

Then cops showed up and shot him and have 50 different stories about what happened.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/hero-security-guard-diffuses-hostage-situation-only-to-be-fatally-shot-by-late-arriving-cops/

Merry Christmas. gently caress everything.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

stinkles1112 posted:

Or the thought that one day, the history books will call you one of the second generation of Robber Barons.

Maybe Koch is actually having a revelatory moment?

Hahahahahahaha no

Yeah no. Given the way his objections are being phrased, I'd say it's way more likely that the Kochs are just true believers and honestly think that there's some inherent value to a "free market." Besides, there's already so much upward redistribution even without literal government handouts to corporations that it's not like anything he's saying represents a serious threat to the wealthy or to business interests in general.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

as far as i know the Koch's have a pretty heavy libertarian bent to them so they probably do actually support dismantling corporate welfare (in addition to all welfare)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

A CNN security guard's Iraq vet son was having a breakdown at home and had a gun. He rushed home and attempted to de-escalate the situation, and witnesses say he got him to put the gun on the hood of a car.

Then cops showed up and shot him and have 50 different stories about what happened.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/hero-security-guard-diffuses-hostage-situation-only-to-be-fatally-shot-by-late-arriving-cops/

Merry Christmas. gently caress everything.

Here's a fun game! See if you can guess, from this simple outline of the story, what was the race of this young man?

:negative:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mandatory lesbian posted:

as far as i know the Koch's have a pretty heavy libertarian bent to them so they probably do actually support dismantling corporate welfare (in addition to all welfare)

It is the same logic as indebted service in the British Empire. Someone living completely under their employer's control isn't a slave - they signed a contract. They should kiss the rings of their job creator.

The Kochs are part of a larger global bent toward feudalism / anarchocapitalism - aligned with the wealthy families of Europe, the oligarchs of Russia, etc.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

mdemone posted:

Here's a fun game! See if you can guess, from this simple outline of the story, what was the race of this young man?

:negative:

The young man wasn't the one who was shot. The upstanding private peace officer navy veteran hostage negotiator father was.

Which just makes your point twice as true but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

McDowell posted:

The Kochs are part of a larger global bent toward feudalism / anarchocapitalism - aligned with the wealthy families of Europe, the oligarchs of Russia, etc.

The lizardmen
*nods sagely*

• Locked thread