Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Potential BFF posted:

Merry Coraxmas

Thats a cool little gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Potential BFF posted:

Merry Coraxmas

Ah Coraxmas! That magical time of year, when we all get together with our flamers and purge the Heretics.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Master Twig posted:

They come with heavy grav cannons. Which are salvo 4/6. Which is funny because they are relentless and are the only unit in the game that can take that gun. 30 inch range too. Pretty good.

I meant do the cannons have Grav Amps to reroll wounds and penetration like space marines?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
no

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Has to be noted though that you do get a Canticle that gives you army-wide re-rolls that somewhat makes up for the lack of amps, even if you can only use it once (or perhaps twice if you don't spend your re-use) per game.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
You can buy a relic that lets you pick one vehicle per turn and reroll all armor pens on that one. Even glances. P. good for haywire.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Haywire and grav don't roll to pen, they have a different effect.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Isn't it technically an armor pen roll?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Nope, rules state that it replaces rolling for Armour Pen.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish they had a Devastator formation

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Thinking about returning to 40K for like the 200th time. I get the impression that the game is not in the best state, and the price creep has been brutal over the years, but gently caress it. It's always 40K miniatures that lure me back toward the hobby.

Are there any factions that are particularly good/bad right now? I like the look of Mechanicus stuff, as well as the Militarum Tempestus. I'd probably start out at really low points, maybe kill team size to start out.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I wish they had a Devastator formation

There is a Devastator formation, and it's one of the best in the game. It's called the Skyhammer Annihilation Force.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I'm working on some barrels for Necromunda terrain and I'd like an opinion.

Should I do warning labels on all of them, just a few, or ditch them altogether?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The warning labels place them in the modern day - you might want to just do a skull or Roman numerals or something.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Digital Jesus posted:

Thinking about returning to 40K for like the 200th time. I get the impression that the game is not in the best state, and the price creep has been brutal over the years, but gently caress it. It's always 40K miniatures that lure me back toward the hobby.

Are there any factions that are particularly good/bad right now? I like the look of Mechanicus stuff, as well as the Militarum Tempestus. I'd probably start out at really low points, maybe kill team size to start out.

As primary forces, your best options are Space Marines, Eldar, and Tau. Khorne Demonkin are really solid and I've played some absolutely brutal lists against them. Dark Angels Ravenwing is also very good. Cult Mechanicus, Skitarii and Knights are great options as secondary detachments.

Nids, Orks, Sisters, Dark Eldar, Blood Angels and Space Wolves can all make decent competitive lists, but all really struggle against the top tournament meta.

If you're just playing casual games with friends, any army is fine. The game only becomes silly when people exploit the really good unit combinations and formations. If you're playing with friends and agree to not be dicks with list-building, you can have fun with whatever faction you want.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

CyberLord XP posted:

Should I do warning labels on all of them, just a few, or ditch them altogether?

I think those are pretty neat! I'd probably just leave it at 2-3 though. It kinda places them in the modern day but it's not totally out of place and really who cares? It's a fun little detail especially if you know what they mean.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

CyberLord XP posted:

I'd just do a few. Are you sticking them to bases at all? If not you could put different warning labels on the other end and choose which one to show depending on the game you're playing :)

On another note, has anyone any experience with ordering from these guys? http://shogunminiatures.com/shogunminjaturessteeltrays.html

I've been wanting to magnetize my bases for ages and these seem easier than making my own trays out of steel paper plus plasticard (plus they'll be sturdier in general), I'm just wondering what they're like for production time and quality etc.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

The Kingfish posted:

You still got the IG stuff? I'll buy plat and hook you up with some shipping money if so.

Sorry, dude. All that stuff got snapped up.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

moths posted:

The warning labels place them in the modern day - you might want to just do a skull or Roman numerals or something.

Chalk labels. who the gently caress's gonna have fancy stickers.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Make them fancy stickers of skulls and roman numerals

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Played a doubles game with my dad and a friend of his with his kid today. My dad and the other kid had Orks, I had Dark Angels with my dad's friend. I was half playing and half GMing since I was the only person who knows the rules. It was pretty fun anyway though. Orks got stomped after putting all their fast vehicles out in the open and giving Marines the first turn.

Pierzak posted:

Chalk labels. who the gently caress's gonna have fancy stickers.

I'd just use some of the various arrows and skulls from the IG vehicle transfer sheet. I did that for my Space Hulk set that I never finished:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Christmas slam - Santa Squats are coming to town (to reclaim a workshop taken over by chaos-warped Catachan).

The pictures may by a bit confusing because of my counts-as armies... The Squats (Grey Knights) have an Imperial Knight and are allied with Catachan snipers (Eldar Pathfinders with Illic Nightspear). The opposing army is Catachan (Astral Plane Militiamen) and jungle tree daemons (Daemons). We were playing the mission where there are 6 objectives, each worth a number of points that is revealed only when someone captures them.

Me with my traitor dudes holding the base. Only one jungle daemon (a GUO) is in sight, but hopefully more are on the way. There was also more along that table edge (Rough Riders, Leman Russ Demolisher, Hellhound, Ogryns) but it was hard to get all in one shot.

My brother's Squats and snipers, come to reclaim the base. Also a bit more not shown here including another sniper unit and some counts-as Eldar in reserves (Catachan Assault Team/Striking Scorpions and Power Loader/War Walker).

My Hellhound killed most of the snipers on one of the objectives, but is about to be punished severely for its impertinence...

My cowering hull-down Demolisher scatters a full 9" on its first shot. It killed a grand total of 2 Exo-Armour Squats (GK Terminators) before Carno Taurus (the Imperial Knight) punted it into an explosion.

Robert Muldoon (Illic Nightspear) and his snipers hold the homing beacon objective.

The two surviving snipers ravaged by the Hellhound pass their leadership test and don't fall back - instead, they slam two precision shots into my Ogryn Bone 'Ead, causing two wounds on him. The Squat Veterans then kill the lead Ogryn with lasgun (!!!) fire. That's a lot of 6's rolled against my poor ogres...

The winds of Chaos are fickle... when attempting to bring another jungle tree to life as a Daemon Prince to smash my foes, it deep strike scatters 10" in exactly the wrong direction and I roll a 1 on the mishap table. This happens to me far too often. Good night, sweet prince..

My avenging Ogryns prepare to pulverize the Squats that gunned one of their number down. They cause 5 ripper gun wounds... but the Squats save all 5. Luckily they charge and stampede all of the stunties into red mulch. This watchtower is the big 4pt central objective, so it's going to be hotly contested.

SPOOKY SCARY SKELETONS are succesfully summoned by the Terror Tree (Great Unclean One)! The official summoning song was played. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDKKKpeFO_M

Bone 'Ead's last stand. He actually survived combat, but then fled and was run down. The stomper has become the stompee...

The Catachan Power Loader (Eldar War Walker) outflanks. As always when it fights a monster, the obligatory GET AWAY FROM HER, YOU BITCH! was yelled. (Daemon bitch crushes the loader utterly).

My wounded Rambo kills the two snipers on the objective, also dying in the process. Before this he demo-charged a squad of Squat Heathguard (GK Interceptors), causing them to fall back. When they regrouped, he shot one in the face with his ripper pistol. Then he speed-vaulted onto this platform and met his end.

Valkyrie goes skimmer, drops off a special weapons flamer team to torch all 8 snipers on the other objective, then hovers over to contest this one.

Crunchin' dem bones.

After suffering some retribution fire, my little surviving shitlord hides under the Squats within 3" of the objective to Objective Secure it after his buddies jumped out of an airplane and flamethrower-murdered the snipers on top.

Y'all ready for this? Y'ALL READY FOR THIS?? Bottom of turn five the damaged weaponless (and not fully-painted) Taurox, having sat untouched for three turns, roars to life. It smashes through an electric fence unharmed (see it down in the background?), does a jump off a hill, and nosedives straight onto the main four-point objective to ObSec it. The score is now in Catachan-Daemon favor. But will the game end...?

...YES! Game ends at end of turn 5, Catachan-Daemons (me) with 13pts and Squat-Catachan (brother) with 5pts. Sounds like a one-sided result? Not at all. We played one more turn to see what would happen, and the score flipped to Catachan-Daemons 10 and Squat-Catachan 12 (fun fact; in that extra turn, the stumpy grump Squat Dreadnought jumped onto the platform and hammer-smashed my Valkyrie). Really great down-to-the-wire game.

After the game, my brother assembled the imperial Knight I got him so that we can have bro-team ally time in the future, or some serious family feuds on the tabletop. He's painting it to match mine, with some differences to reflect his armies. Merry Christmas!

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 27, 2015

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Wait, Robert Muldoon? Like the ex-NZ Prime Minister? Are you in New Zealand BuffaloChicken?

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Hamshot posted:

Wait, Robert Muldoon? Like the ex-NZ Prime Minister? Are you in New Zealand BuffaloChicken?
First google image result for me is still the guy from Jurassic Park. :colbert:

(His gun barrel reads "clever girl.")

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Oh balls, should've known. I googled the name to double check and everything, but being NZ google it's shamefully biased away from jurassic park.
I was thrumming with the excitement of seeing your amazing stuff in person.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd like to run rocket pod sentinels, but ebay is out of valkyrie rocket pods

any ideas or a suitable bit replacement?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The Sentinel rockets are that hard to find? Whirlwind pods might work too, I guess.

Great report buffchix, you guys ham the right way.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You could take the speeder missile pods and just use the connector struts. I could see what vehicle weapon pods I have left.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SRM posted:

The Sentinel rockets are that hard to find?

They're missiles, not rockets

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hamshot posted:

Oh balls, should've known. I googled the name to double check and everything, but being NZ google it's shamefully biased away from jurassic park.
I was thrumming with the excitement of seeing your amazing stuff in person.

What would his special ability be? Get drunk and call a snap election?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
My thinking didn't get that far. Maybe he'd enact a "think big" policy and ineffectually snipe at the knight.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You should also just magnetize the Sentinals so you can have any weapons.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uroboros posted:

You should also just magnetize the Sentinals so you can have any weapons.

I did

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've been following this thread since its first incarnation burning spiders in the name of the Emperor in GBS, but rarely post as I tend to stick to the scale modelling thread. I've just been working on a Tau Ghostkeel though and as it's just about done I thought I would share some pictures. Just a small snagging list then it's done.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Jesus Christmas that thing's dope as gently caress. I've been seeing it slowly evolve in the painting thread but it looks incredible all finished and put together.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I accidentally posted this in the scale modeling thread a while ago, but just to re-iterate that thing is doooooooope.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

big_g posted:

I've been following this thread since its first incarnation burning spiders in the name of the Emperor in GBS, but rarely post as I tend to stick to the scale modelling thread. I've just been working on a Tau Ghostkeel though and as it's just about done I thought I would share some pictures. Just a small snagging list then it's done.

excuse me but the pilot is a shas'vre so his helmet should be his sept color :eng101:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

excuse me but the pilot is a shas'vre so his helmet should be his sept color :eng101:

Can his Sept colour not be off white? I have no idea how these things work. Well it's good enough bullshit for me.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

big_g posted:

Can his Sept colour not be off white? I have no idea how these things work. Well it's good enough bullshit for me.

Tau'n or Ksi'm'yen just messing with you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
drat son. That is a dope ghostkeel

• Locked thread