Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
When I saw TFA some guy behind me would yell "Oh hell yeah!" every time he got a callback to the original Trilogy. That poo poo is super annoying, clapping doesn't bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

effectual posted:

She already knew a bit else about him, so that specific detail was superfluous in establishing that she's a fan. And if people on backwater planets know about Han's kessel record then he should be a much bigger deal and shouldn't've been stuck in a backwater cantina of a desert planet in the first movie.

And It's either a Lucas-level coincidence that she knows all about Han and lives 100 feet from his ship (like how Indy 3 gave all his traits in 1 day), or it's some link that will be expanded on in the next one. But if that's the case, who is she? Luke, Leia, and Han didn't recognize her, nobody did.

Not only was she 100 feet away from it, once she stole it Han Solo just so happened to be in orbit of the same planet doing some other stupid poo poo to recover it. Some really bad writing in that film.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

natetimm posted:

Not only was she 100 feet away from it, once she stole it Han Solo just so happened to be in orbit of the same planet doing some other stupid poo poo to recover it. Some really bad writing in that film.

Yeah jfc if this was real life they would be drifting aimlessly in space for weeks because neither of them knew where they were going and didn't have navigation charts.

This loving unrealistic movie its like... Just make my star wars plod along at a pace like actual life!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gravity Star Wars would've been cool and different and interesting....and good, actually.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

shiksa posted:

Yeah jfc if this was real life they would be drifting aimlessly in space for weeks because neither of them knew where they were going and didn't have navigation charts.

This loving unrealistic movie its like... Just make my star wars plod along at a pace like actual life!

Nah, the empire was already bearing down on them. Han just so happened to be hauling CGI monstrosities past that very planet at the exact moment needed to catch them before the bad guys.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

There is no sound in space! TIE fighters make that screaming sound! IN SPACE!

Immersion ruined. :mad:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
How can you survive on mars, there's no sound in space

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

lol star wars doesn't have space suits

don't you dare show me some EU poo poo

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

sinking belle posted:

I come from a maritime family (not myself, I have a huge fear of drowning) and I recall my older family members saying they never wore life jackets, or some never learned to swim, because if they ended up in the water they were dead anyway and no amount of precaution would prevent that.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
You wouldn't wear a space suit on a spaceship unless you were specifically intending to go outside anyway.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
TIE Pilots wear spacesuits

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Thought I'd mention a person was openly sobbing for THAT scene in the theater just in case some edgelords who think emotional reactions are dumb and wrong want to mock that.

The most cringeworthy EU thing now are all the whiners who try to argue how it's bad the EU is dead, especially when they do it under their real names on Facebook in the replies of verified professionals who discuss why hitting reset was good.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

A spacesuit probably doubles the armor rating of a TIE fighter

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Thought I'd mention a person was openly sobbing for THAT scene in the theater just in case some edgelords who think emotional reactions are dumb and wrong want to mock that.

Hmmmm, you're right. Crying in public over a fictional character actually is cool and good.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

natetimm posted:

psst it was the will of the force, which was awakening

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

sinking belle posted:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Booblord Zagats posted:

TIE Pilots wear spacesuits
You can also see some stormtroopers in modified armor dicking around on the Death Star's outer hull when the Falcon is tractor-beamed into the docking bay.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jurgan posted:

I do kind of wonder if the "Luke mauled by a wampa and left out in the freezing cold all night" was written to justify what's wrong with his face.

that wampa was sentient and the king of wampas

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that wampa was sentient and the king of wampas

I don't know why I even questioned this.

Though when I checked wookieepedia it turns out she's actually the queen of the Wampas, AND it all happened after the events of ESB where she earned the moniker "one arm"

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Also there's a space suit guy in the cantina in ANH

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I always thought that TIE Fighters were depressurised anyway so the pilot was working in a vacuum. TFA taught me different.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I always thought that TIE Fighters were depressurised anyway so the pilot was working in a vacuum. TFA taught me different.

:spergin: the Empires tie/ln didn't have life support as a cost-cutting measure, but the First Order's tie/sfs appear to. it's not clear if the baseline tie/fo does tho, but they did add shields to ties.

when you're an isolated space junta instead of a giant empire i guess you can't be as cavalier about just building deathtraps and throwing thousands of pilots at a problem and shrugging if half of them come back

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Otisburg posted:

:spergin: the Empires tie/ln didn't have life support as a cost-cutting measure, but the First Order's tie/sfs appear to. it's not clear if the baseline tie/fo does tho, but they did add shields to ties.

when you're an isolated space junta instead of a giant empire i guess you can't be as cavalier about just building deathtraps and throwing thousands of pilots at a problem and shrugging if half of them come back

I don't know what ln/sfs/fo means :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I don't know what ln/sfs/fo means :(

TIE/LN's are the baseline tie fighters of the Empire from the first films that appear starting in the original '77 movie.

TIE/FO's are the baseline First Order fighters from the new film with the black hull and white panels. Since they are trying hard to ape the Empire's style, they kept the form factor the same.

TIE/SF's are the upgraded two-seater First Order TIEs with the turret mount that Finn and Poe commandeered to make their escape.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Xenomrph posted:

I guess I can see how it might be weird to some people, but I love it and it's one of the main draws of seeing a movie in the theatre for me is the audience reactions, it consistently makes a movie more memorable for me. Screaming at a horror movie, clapping in general, laughing at funny stuff, cheering characters on, etc.

I saw an anniversary showing of Back to the Future in 2010, and the audience cheered and clapped when George McFly punched Biff out in the parking lot. It was awesome.
Audience whoops and clapping was such a weird experience for me when I first visited the US and I hate it. Never happens in the UK (obvs we laugh at funny films but that's different and involuntary).

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Ewan posted:

Audience whoops and clapping was such a weird experience for me when I first visited the US and I hate it. Never happens in the UK (obvs we laugh at funny films but that's different and involuntary).

If people started whooping and shouting in UK cinemas, they would get the gently caress punched out for spoiling the movie for everyone else.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

one of the reviews from one of those screwfly mra/red pill/incel/no ma'am what the gently caress ever they call themselves sites cited the fact that "no one applauded at the end" as evidence it was poorly received.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

If you go to see a movie opening night and don't clap, holler, and hoot I pity your pathetic lack of enthusiasm

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

what bugs me about phasma isn't that she was a cool action figure in special armor that ended up being a chump who gets punked out by a pit, b/c that's like poetry, it rhymes

what annoys me is seems like in the first order being able to flaunt the uniform regs with unique armor and have a proper name would be a special privilege that would come with a rank higher than company grade/junior officer. she should be like colonel phasma

:spergin:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Does Phasma do any actual Phantasm poo poo or is it just the name and the chrome? Does someone get their head drilled or turned into a jawa or something?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Otisburg posted:

what bugs me about phasma isn't that she was a cool action figure in special armor that ended up being a chump who gets punked out by a pit, b/c that's like poetry, it rhymes

what annoys me is seems like in the first order being able to flaunt the uniform regs with unique armor and have a proper name would be a special privilege that would come with a rank higher than company grade/junior officer. she should be like colonel phasma

:spergin:
They seem to mix Army/Navy ranks througout Star Wars so maybe she's a Navy Captain (i.e. a Colonel)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ewan posted:

I thought you sat stiffly and made comments like "oh, how droll" while sipping tea with your pinky extended.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

If people started whooping and shouting in UK cinemas, they would get the gently caress punched out for spoiling the movie for everyone else.

The only time I really remember people applauding in a movie theater was for The Phantom Menace. I think it happened during the opening title crawl and also when R2-D2 got name dropped after saving the queen's ship. I don't know if I was more embarrassed by the audience or the movie itself.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Phasma is confirmed to be back in the next film so maybe she does something cool

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Phasma is the new boba Fett. She does nothing - that's the best part!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Light Gun Man posted:

Does Phasma do any actual Phantasm poo poo or is it just the name and the chrome? Does someone get their head drilled or turned into a jawa or something?

Aren't there also a couple people that wear that shiny silver outfit too? I kept confusing who was who. The occasional stormtrooper having a colored shoulder was cool though.

Someone said Phasma was supposed to do more but it got cut.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ewan posted:

They seem to mix Army/Navy ranks througout Star Wars so maybe she's a Navy Captain (i.e. a Colonel)

I didn't think they mixed them so much as Lucas just had every single officer of any description addressed as Commander in episode 4.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

effectual posted:

Aren't there also a couple people that wear that shiny silver outfit too? I kept confusing who was who. The occasional stormtrooper having a colored shoulder was cool though.

Someone said Phasma was supposed to do more but it got cut.

The shoulderpads are rank indicators I think. Which is kind of stupid from a tactical standpoint.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

then again so is lilly-white armor

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Frankly the black TIE Pilot armor is more badass-looking than any other armor in any of these movies. TIE Pilots are boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
I hope they called her captain phasma as a setup to call the next one "The Phasma Menace"

• Locked thread