Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There's like a foot of snow on the ground here in Whistler for the first time in well over a year, winter is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Was that the winter of 98 or something when we got a loving metre of snow in Vancouver? I remember building a snow cave at my parents house

Blizzard of '96.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 26, 2015

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Stretch Marx posted:

I bought some Fin Du Monde to celebrate the Christmas Apocalypse that is supposed to be happening.

On vacation in California and was shocked 1) to see La Fin Du Monde at Ralph's and 2) it was over $10usd per bottle compared to the just over $6cad it costs back home. That's the first booze I've ever seen to be cheaper in Canada than the US.

Also, merry Christmas!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Merry Chirstmas shitheads and may politics be absent from your tables

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Squibbles posted:

On vacation in California and was shocked 1) to see La Fin Du Monde at Ralph's and 2) it was over $10usd per bottle compared to the just over $6cad it costs back home. That's the first booze I've ever seen to be cheaper in Canada than the US.

Also, merry Christmas!

the only canadian beers you can get in texas are molson's, moosehead and unibroue

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

the talent deficit posted:

the only canadian beers you can get in texas are molson's, moosehead and unibroue

It still surprises me that Moosehead has the reach it does. Everyone here is convinced it's a small time Maritimes brewery. People look at me funny when I tell them you can buy it in California.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

How is the weather jn the territories?

cold snowy dark wasteland, as per usual.
my crying kid probably annoyed the piss outta PT6A when their plane was landing in Edmonton a few days ago though so there's that.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Stretch Marx posted:

It still surprises me that Moosehead has the reach it does. Everyone here is convinced it's a small time Maritimes brewery. People look at me funny when I tell them you can buy it in California.

I bought a bottle of moosehead in a bar in rural South Korea. It was a little skunky because I'm positive only Canadian ex-pats bought it out of sheer nostalgia.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MA-Horus posted:

I bought a bottle of moosehead in a bar in rural South Korea. It was a little skunky because I'm positive only Canadian ex-pats bought it out of sheer nostalgia.

It's odd that Moosehead is available all over while the slightly better Oland's Export is seemingly not exported outside NS.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Count Roland posted:

It's odd that Moosehead is available all over while the slightly better Oland's Export is seemingly not exported outside NS.

That's probably because they don't make as much of it as Keith's IPA (which sucks).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SpannerX posted:

That's probably because they don't make as much of it as Keith's IPA (which sucks).

Vitamin O is surprisingly good.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

El Scotch posted:

Vitamin O is surprisingly good.

Oh, I totally agree. I won't drink Keith's, it's poo poo, but Oland's is a great minor macro brew.

poo poo, this is beer chat, sorry.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It's Helsing's favourite time of the year :toot:

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Christmas is a great time to escape whatever political bubble you may have insulated yourself in. Like many of you, I'm part of the Forums Reading, STEM educated, Leftist loving Nerd class. Last night I heard people defend Trump, clamour for smaller government, question the validity of gay marriage, express heartfelt sympathy for Stephen Harper, and a strong urging for people to find the truth "somewhere in the middle".

So refreshing!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah it's fun getting out of one's self-selected group of people you can stand. My dad went out mixing with strange others and found him self the only person at a party not angrily raving about Syrians invading Canada and how this loving useless generation needs to get jobs, buy houses, and have kids otherwise the muslims are going to out-populate us.

Yeah thanks old-money rich boomers, wonder why we're not buying enough houses or raising families. Nothing to do with your guy's supported policies and economics.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I emailed the party this morning and told them I'm no longer giving them any money because of this loving poo poo.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Whiskey Sours posted:

I emailed the party this morning and told them I'm no longer giving them any money because of this loving poo poo.

The conservatives are trying a new strategy, targeting Rime and other lifelong Holiday Hustlers.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

The NDP office finally was able to reach me on the landline the day before yesterday. They weren't going for the hard sell, but it was clear from the outset they wanted my money. Oh well, Boxing Day will be interesting: either brave the crowds at Kingsway, brave the crowds at West Ed (the mall that eats people), or hole up at Saint Pete's, drink, eat Pho and green onion cakes, and tip the strippers heavily? Hmmm, decisions decisions...

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Really sounds like you made your decision already.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
a strip club that serves pho?

Interesting. I'm spending mine at the office.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

a strip club that serves pho?

Interesting. I'm spending mine at the office.

It's next door to a Pho place, so they can order from there. It's pretty good, especially since they make the broth from scratch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it's fun getting out of one's self-selected group of people you can stand.

"Why aren't you married yet? You a human being?" -my relative, with a different political opinion

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

"Why aren't you married yet? You a human being?" -my relative, with a different political opinion

I've heard that before. Gotta love hick family members.

E: I think my response was a raised eyebrow and turned to talk to one of my aunts. Thank goodness for large families where you can ignore the ignorant.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 26, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

"Why aren't you marrried yet? You are too fat"

-My mother, who is also a liberal partisan.....

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

That's uh pretty drat rude BoD, clearly you need to work out or something.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Probably true though lay off the timmy hos

iirc bod couldnt even get laid on erection night

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

gently caress, is your mother and my dad related somehow? That's drat near word-for-word what he said to me yesterday over the phone. My gift? A George Richards Big-and-tall clothing store gift card.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Baudin posted:

That's uh pretty drat rude BoD, clearly you need to work out or something.

No kidding. But workign out takes time away from my true passion of drinking! (But yeah, it stung enough to get my rear end off the couch to the gym).

Anyways, good news, it seems like people are donating so much to refugees that the main charity doing it in Ottawa doesn't have the staff to take all the money.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You guys have such rude relatives.

My weirdass relative is my dad who is somehow jealous whenever his children have success (as opposed to most parents' reaction, which I imagine is pride) and so whenever I tell him about something awesome that I did he just goes "oh" and changes the conversation to something about him.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

HookShot posted:

whenever I tell him about something awesome that I did he just goes "oh" and changes the conversation to something about him.

Whenever he brags say "oh" and talk about how awesome your mom is?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
A belated Merry Christmas to you all. I hope you take a moment these holidays to silently reflect on why you didn't spend every free minute of your time tilting at the windmills of 21st century leftist politicking.

Also, re: Christmas chat, my Dad got me a framed copy of this Toronto Sun cover:

Which was a great gift, though it felt a bit ironic when the giant annual family party unexpectedly turned into an unplanned semi-intervention for one of my cousins, who is the family's resident substance abusing Rob Ford supporter.

Pinterest Mom posted:

:supaburn:

Ikantski posted:

The conservatives are trying a new strategy, targeting Rime and other lifelong Holiday Hustlers.

My takeaway from this is that the average Conservative donor is a grandparent and the average NDP donor is apparently a coupon clipping working stiff... or at most an over leveraged middle tier public servant with a CostCo membership.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Ikantski posted:

Jokes on them, I stopped celebrating this poo poo holiday years ago. :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Baudin posted:

Whenever he brags say "oh" and talk about how awesome your mom is?

I prefer to make up fake awesome stories about how great my life is and have him have his terrible reaction and laugh at how bad a parent he is later.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

bunnyofdoom posted:

Anyways, good news, it seems like people are donating so much to refugees that the main charity doing it in Ottawa doesn't have the staff to take all the money.

That's old news though.

quote:

“How are Canadians supposed to trust the Conservatives to crack down on aggressive tax avoidance when they are busy setting up shell companies of their own,” NDP MP Megan Leslie asked.

She charged that the problem is that the CRA is under-staffed by 642 full-time positions, citing a report tabled in Parliament yesterday.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The only Conservatives left in my family are my grandparents. They make up for it by never talking politics with any of us at family gatherings and its worked out great.

We usually try to invite them into town for meals because the pictures of Harper, Mulroney and Billy Graham get rather creepy.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Non-Christian immigrants are why Shoppers is open on Christmas now. It's a travesty! Can you run down to the corner store and pick us up some more Clamato juice?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

The only Conservatives left in my family are my grandparents. They make up for it by never talking politics with any of us at family gatherings and its worked out great.

We usually try to invite them into town for meals because the pictures of Harper, Mulroney and Billy Graham get rather creepy.

Every single one of my family members in Ontario is a Conservative supporter and when we talk politics I get the sense that they feel that they have a clearer view on issues because they see politicians on the streets occasionally or are just closer to them. It doesn't really stand up to much scrutiny, though, since they don't actually follow the news, just the headlines.

Weird, Grandpa, the drunk unemployed hick who lives in a broken down shack here in town loves Trump just like you!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Canadians being Canadians. Congratulations guys you did it

https://twitter.com/WhoSFlyy__/status/680820622147059712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

No you idiot that's just Square One

It is where manners and good sense go to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Isn't the giant Sega Pladium across the street from there?