Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I was referring to their corded versions (hence mentioning the benefit of the Bosch having such a long cord...). I admit I didn't word it correctly, but what I was meaning to say was I like the Bosch over the corded Makita and Dewalt; never tried the Fein myself.

It's currently on sale in wacky Canadian dollars for $179, so can imagine it being quite affordable down south. So jealous of the tool deals down south right now.

For the price I paid for my brushed m12 kit (finally replacing everything that's broken but at least I'll have half a dozen batteries), I could have gotten the Fuel m12.

Reggie Died fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Too early to say. I bought the 18v 3500 rpm Milwaukee saw. Made one cut so far, but the ryobi I had was struggling with 1x4s on a full battery. To be fair it is probably 5+ years old, just been in storage till I ended up with it.

I got a refurb Ryobi as a gift that would barely cut a thin cedar plank, which I attributed to just the nature of cheap and cordless, but was actually because it came from the factory with the blade reversed so the teeth pointed the wrong way :margeball:. It works pretty ok now for quick cuts.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Reggie Died posted:

I was referring to their corded versions (hence mentioning the benefit of the Bosch having such a long cord...). I admit I didn't word it correctly, but what I was meaning to say was I like the Bosch over the corded Makita and Dewalt; never tried the Fein myself.

It's currently on sale in wacky Canadian dollars for $179, so can imagine it being quite affordable down south. So jealous of the tool deals down south right now.

For the price I paid for my brushed m12 kit (finally replacing everything that's broken but at least I'll have half a dozen batteries), I could have gotten the Fuel m12.

Sorry - my cordless comment was in response to another poster - I was the one being unclear.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

King of Gulps posted:

I got a refurb Ryobi as a gift that would barely cut a thin cedar plank, which I attributed to just the nature of cheap and cordless, but was actually because it came from the factory with the blade reversed so the teeth pointed the wrong way :margeball:. It works pretty ok now for quick cuts.

This is like the jobsite jokes we used to tell.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
I picked up a very strange saw from my grandparent's old house recently. It's like a 20" pruning saw but on the top of the blade is a fine tooth blade more akin to a finishing saw. Anyone seen something like that before? I'm not sure how useful it would actually be to use so I'm debating if I should sharpen it up and redo the handle or if I should just glue up the cracks in the handle and turn it into a wall hanger.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Anubis posted:

I picked up a very strange saw from my grandparent's old house recently. It's like a 20" pruning saw but on the top of the blade is a fine tooth blade more akin to a finishing saw. Anyone seen something like that before? I'm not sure how useful it would actually be to use so I'm debating if I should sharpen it up and redo the handle or if I should just glue up the cracks in the handle and turn it into a wall hanger.

Pics?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Here's a cell phone pic sized down a bit. It's hard to tell in picture form but the blade on the bottom has much larger teeth than the top, not as huge as what you'd buy for a pruning saw today but definitely more of a rough cut purpose. The handle is missing a bolt and has 2 cracks, the one by my thumb goes all the way through but a little glue and a clamp and I'm guessing that'd be fixed right up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anubis fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 3, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Anubis posted:

Here's a cell phone pic sized down a bit. It's hard to tell in picture form but the blade on the bottom has much larger teeth than the top, not as huge as what you'd buy for a pruning saw today but definitely more of a rough cut purpose. The handle is missing a bolt and has 2 cracks, the one by my thumb goes all the way through but a little glue and a clamp and I'm guessing that'd be fixed right up.

Couldn't find a manufacturer, just people painting them: http://www.old-woodworking-tools.net/double-edged-curved-hand-saw.html

I personally couldn't be bothered to sharpen all them teeth, but if you do, I'm sure Gramps would be proud that his pruning legacy lives on!

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Need some help choosing a 23g pinner, non 2" variety.

Currently debating Cadex vs Grex. At first I thought Cadex had the upper hand due to it's ability to shoot headed pins (honestly not something that I'd really use) and the built in air blower (I might be putting WAY too much emphasis on this novelty).

But the guy on the sale floor was really pushing the Grex. Suggesting that BECAUSE the Cadex can take brad's, there the cylinder is slightly wider which has caused issues in the past. He sells both so don't know if he had alternative motives....

They are roughly the same price point, and I"m sure I'd be happy with both. Just looking for some anecdotal feedback. I have a Cadex owner and a Grex owner on my crew, and they both seem equally happy. I also might just save $60 and get the Hitachi, but it doesn't have a belt hook (again, a small novelty I'm putting too much emphasis on, but they are pretty handy and aftermarket alternatives are big and bulky).

Edit; for the sake of being different, I've also been looking at the 21g nailers from Cadex. I have yet to see one in the wild, and I can't just drop into the lumber yard to grab nails (they are readily available but I'd have to give myself a few days). But I've heard some guys rave about them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Am I going to be disappointed if I buy this "Dewalt 20-Volt Max Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Drill Kit"? It's on sale for $183 CAD, down from $390.

For now just need a drill for xyz random jobs around the house but plan on expanding by buying other tools down the line, hoping the 20v kit will be relevant/have other tools available in it's format that are useful in years to come.

I have 4-5 years experience in trades (machining, carpentry) and have no tolerance for lovely tools, though I now work in healthcare instead. I was spoiled with an impact driver previously and absolutely have felt the void it left in my life when I stopped working construction.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/experience about this.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

VelociBacon posted:

Am I going to be disappointed if I buy this "Dewalt 20-Volt Max Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Drill Kit"? It's on sale for $183 CAD, down from $390.

For now just need a drill for xyz random jobs around the house but plan on expanding by buying other tools down the line, hoping the 20v kit will be relevant/have other tools available in it's format that are useful in years to come.

I have 4-5 years experience in trades (machining, carpentry) and have no tolerance for lovely tools, though I now work in healthcare instead. I was spoiled with an impact driver previously and absolutely have felt the void it left in my life when I stopped working construction.

Looks like a solid DeWalt tool, although I got pissed off at their cordless battery prices years ago and sold my DeWalt kit. Can't you try one out at a local hardware store?

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

For light duty, around the home type of stuff, you can't go wrong at that price or brand. Milwaukee has a similar deal for a little less, and I personally prefer Red to Yellow (for absolutely no reason).

I can't link the PDF flyer, but Summit Tools has the same Milwaukee kit for 189.97 with a free battery (so 3 total).

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Aside from the obvious aesthetic superiority of Milwaukee, they've got a much better selection of brushless tools. (And speaking of brushless, I'd go for the M12 Fuel over 18/20v for around the house stuff, it's still plenty powerful and the size is much more convenient)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Zhentar posted:

Aside from the obvious aesthetic superiority of Milwaukee, they've got a much better selection of brushless tools. (And speaking of brushless, I'd go for the M12 Fuel over 18/20v for around the house stuff, it's still plenty powerful and the size is much more convenient)

Agreed on this. I went for the 18v combo, and while I wouldn't say I 'regret' having it, I definitely think the 12v would have been sufficient and more convenient for about 80% of what I did with it.

Then again, I also used it to hog out 1" holes in a pressure-treated 6x6, after using the 18v circular saw to cut them, so there's something to be said for having the power when you need it. I'd say if you mainly see yourself JUST drilling/driving things, get the 12v.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I also do a lot of work on my car where I might use the impact driver, which is why I went 20v. The drill is going to be subject to much less abuse, just hanging shelves, small projects, stuff like that.

I did buy this - in a way it's an xmas present to me which is lovely. Thanks for all the advice.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

That's not a bad deal but Home Depot has the XR Brushless versions for $299 with a free tool. I already have the cordless circular and sawzall so I took the oscillating tool but either option for the free tool is great and worth ~$150-$180 separately.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Random 'brag' post but I got a pretty cool deal on this today -

Finally a place to put poo poo instead of in little piles / stacks here and there

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Sniep posted:

Random 'brag' post but I got a pretty cool deal on this today -

Finally a place to put poo poo instead of in little piles / stacks here and there

Was it a one off deal, or is someone running a special? I'm looking at pretty much that exact tool box, and I'm all about saving money.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Hayden posted:

Was it a one off deal, or is someone running a special? I'm looking at pretty much that exact tool box, and I'm all about saving money.

One off for me, it's $240 on Homedepot.com > here < normal price but they comped me in other tools because during shipping to the store, the back left bottom corner got dinged up and it was thus 'damaged.'

The damage is so inconsequential that I was laughing about it and I didn't even ask for anything off, but I was checking out with some other tools and had to rent a truck to get it home, and they just comped all that which totaled $70, so net $170 for the chest. Not bad.

^ See how the bottom lip got bent in like 10° or so by 1/4"? That's it.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Weird. EXACT same thing happened to me at home depot. Toolbox was already marked down from the damage and the manager standing there watching me look at it offered some more money off. Went home and shimmed the wheel up a bit and it's all good.

bobua fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 13, 2015

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Just bought this puppy to bust down a chimney, performed even better than I had hoped.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

bobua posted:

Weird. EXACT same thing happened to me at home depot. Toolbox was already marked down from the damage and the manager standing there watching me look at it offered some more money off. Went home and shimmed the will up a bit and it's all good.

My only theory is whatever they discount off of it is just that much closer to losing the same amount of $All_Of_It if they have to bin it back, since it's store brand, no?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Sniep posted:

My only theory is whatever they discount off of it is just that much closer to losing the same amount of $All_Of_It if they have to bin it back, since it's store brand, no?

I'm thinking the markup in these things is just really high, so they have room to play with... Online retailers can't undercut them like almost everything else because of the shipping, where as they just cram one into any truck that isn't already full.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Anyway, it's solid and the actual frame and all is fine so it works for me. Time to graduate from a tiny tool box which has fallen over into other boxes/piles numerous times.

And get poo poo like chisels in a different loving universe from files and rasps, where today they live in the same box save tiny plastic covers that fall off easily.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Inventory sitting on shelves is lost money. Things get lost, stolen, damaged (or damaged worse), they take up space that could be used to sell something else. If it's been out too long, they'll cut the price to cut their losses.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Zhentar posted:

cut their losses.

The entire point start to finish, if they can get you out for less than the loss they suffer for it not being salable for full value, they are wining by that degree.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

asdf32 posted:

Black Friday deals?

I bought a 6 piece Ryobi kit for $200: Drill, Impact, Sawzall, Oscillating Multi-tool, Circular and two of the high-end (grey) compact lithiums. Pretty solid deal actually.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Ultimate-Combo-Kit-6-Tool-P884/203466936

Well drat. I could have sworn that when I first looked at this in November it said the $200 price was good till February...but now it says it's $260. :(

I guess it's just as well, I got Lowe's GCs for X-Mass, not HD.

So...any good cordless combo sets at Lowes? I would like it to have an impact driver and small circular saw, and one of those oscillating multi-tools wold be great, too. Reciprocating saw I don't have a huge need for, and I have a decent drill, though I can't imagine it's possible to find one with a driver and c. saw but not a drill.

Maybe piece-mail is the better way to go? I dunno, I feel that once you get to two tools, you're already at like 80% of a combo kit's price, so might as well go that extra mile for another tool or two and carrying bag.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Piecemeal.

And the kits are a better value if you are starting out, but piecemeal is the only way to go if you need specific tools. Usually, people get a kit, and then expand piece by piece.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Reciprocating saw I don't have a huge need for

That's because you don't own one :v:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

sharkytm posted:

Piecemeal.

And the kits are a better value if you are starting out, but piecemeal is the only way to go if you need specific tools. Usually, people get a kit, and then expand piece by piece.

Tis what I did starting off with Makita, and it's the only subsidy you'll get on the batteries to start with a kit. Frankly, if I ever need a specific tool in the future im gonna look for it in kit form just to get cheaper OEM batts.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sniep posted:

Tis what I did starting off with Makita, and it's the only subsidy you'll get on the batteries to start with a kit. Frankly, if I ever need a specific tool in the future im gonna look for it in kit form just to get cheaper OEM batts.

Same here with Makita. I buy batteries from Zoro during their big sales. I've got to get some of the 5ah batteries though, and I'd like to upgrade to brushless on my impact driver.

My original combo kit was a wedding present in '09, all the tools and batteries are still going strong.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I could use some advice about what lightweight, versatile general tools I should be packing for working in rural Africa.

For context, I'm supervising and monitoring some bioenergy installations in West Africa, so that involves a lot of travel out in the bush, and living in substandard housing where a lot of little stuff needs adjusting all the time. I'm not looking for actual worksite tools since my company supplies those, and in theory the trucks we use should (but often don't) have a vehicle toolkit in them, so I'm talking about just stuff I'd chuck in my backpack and have around for emergencies and contingencies. Right now I just have a basic Leatherman tool, a few pocketknives, small and large LED flashlights, and a tiny multi-head Husky screwdriver, plus I always carry a baggie of assorted size zip-ties, and should probably pack some paracord and duct tape.

I usually roll out with just one backpack for weeks at a time, so I do need stuff that's reasonably compact, multi-use, and light. But it's not the usual "hiking" gear since I'm not camping out in the hills or anything, not making brush shelters or making campfires or anything. As a few examples of things we've had to fix and scrounge tools on:

- A Nissan Patrol my bosses borrowed from another company had an underbody so rusted that the brackets holding the gas tank sheared off and dragged the tank on the road, so I saved the day with a bunch of zip ties that at least got us to to the next town to get it welded
- Cutting and stripping wire to run our little gas generator into the house grid to light up rented/loaned houses we're staying in that are otherwise abandoned and don't have a genny (Leatherman has worked fine for this)
- Taking car battery clamps off and on so we can scrub and grease the posts since corroded posts and feeble startup are absolutely routine here
- Using pliers to turn the knurled bit on plumbing where the handle has broken off on a sink or faucet
- Wheel wobbling on a lovely Chinese JAC pickup (great little Mitsubishi engine in a lovely frame) so we had to send a guy on a motorbike to the next town to find a 17mm spanner to tighten one key bolt that was coming loose on the upper arm.
- General opening packages and cases, etc.

I think I'm overall on a decent track, within the limits of portability and versatility, but I'm thinking that I should probably add a full-size multi-bit screwdriver of good quality, a lightweight adjustable spanner/crescent wrench (or maybe one small and one large), and maybe one of those foot-long titanium pry-bars or something. Any other suggestions for stuff that doesn't take up too much space, not too heavy, and can deal with really basic household and vehicle tasks?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I would also include vise grips, self fusing silicone tape(aka F4 tape) for patching leaks, maybe some lock wire.

Also maybe just a medium sized crescent wrench and channel lock pliers for larger stuff.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 29, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

peepsalot posted:

vise grips...

Also maybe just a medium sized crescent wrench and channel lock pliers for larger stuff.

Has anyone tried this thing? If so, any good?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009OYGZ/

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

CharlieWhiskey posted:

People in the AI tools thread rave about it all the time

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yes, it's awesome. It's an adjustable that actually works as a wrench, instead of just being a Swedish nut-fucker.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I could use some advice about what lightweight, versatile general tools I should be packing for working in rural Africa.

For context, I'm supervising and monitoring some bioenergy installations in West Africa, so that involves a lot of travel out in the bush, and living in substandard housing where a lot of little stuff needs adjusting all the time. I'm not looking for actual worksite tools since my company supplies those, and in theory the trucks we use should (but often don't) have a vehicle toolkit in them, so I'm talking about just stuff I'd chuck in my backpack and have around for emergencies and contingencies. Right now I just have a basic Leatherman tool, a few pocketknives, small and large LED flashlights, and a tiny multi-head Husky screwdriver, plus I always carry a baggie of assorted size zip-ties, and should probably pack some paracord and duct tape.

I usually roll out with just one backpack for weeks at a time, so I do need stuff that's reasonably compact, multi-use, and light. But it's not the usual "hiking" gear since I'm not camping out in the hills or anything, not making brush shelters or making campfires or anything. As a few examples of things we've had to fix and scrounge tools on:

- A Nissan Patrol my bosses borrowed from another company had an underbody so rusted that the brackets holding the gas tank sheared off and dragged the tank on the road, so I saved the day with a bunch of zip ties that at least got us to to the next town to get it welded
- Cutting and stripping wire to run our little gas generator into the house grid to light up rented/loaned houses we're staying in that are otherwise abandoned and don't have a genny (Leatherman has worked fine for this)
- Taking car battery clamps off and on so we can scrub and grease the posts since corroded posts and feeble startup are absolutely routine here
- Using pliers to turn the knurled bit on plumbing where the handle has broken off on a sink or faucet
- Wheel wobbling on a lovely Chinese JAC pickup (great little Mitsubishi engine in a lovely frame) so we had to send a guy on a motorbike to the next town to find a 17mm spanner to tighten one key bolt that was coming loose on the upper arm.
- General opening packages and cases, etc.

I think I'm overall on a decent track, within the limits of portability and versatility, but I'm thinking that I should probably add a full-size multi-bit screwdriver of good quality, a lightweight adjustable spanner/crescent wrench (or maybe one small and one large), and maybe one of those foot-long titanium pry-bars or something. Any other suggestions for stuff that doesn't take up too much space, not too heavy, and can deal with really basic household and vehicle tasks?

My favorite screwdriver
http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-3...ein+screwdriver

I like dewalt adjustable wrenches:
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWHT70...justable+wrench

Locking pliers can be very helpful when doing wierd stuff short handed (Just used this along with the removed bit from the Klein screwdriver to fashion a right angle screwdriver). Milwaukee has some of the best, I like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/MILWAUKEE-Inc...ilwaukee+pliers

Good general purpose pliers (and maybe as a pry-bar sometimes too):
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-...ilwaukee+pliers

Right angle needlenose are super useful:
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-34233-...ht+angle+pliers

Scraper/Prying (note these arn't huge), or get a multi-tool variety
http://www.amazon.com/Titan-17005-S...ainless+scraper
http://www.amazon.com/Task-Tools-T3...s=painters+tool

Definitely have good real scissors or cutters (maybe not this big):
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-...waukee+scissors

Utility knife (maybe redundant if you have the leatherman):
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-482...e+utility+knife

Definitely have a headlamp for general use and as a work-light:
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Pro-3-LED-Headlamp/dp/B00081GATG/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1451422802&sr=1-5&keywords=headlamp

Leatherman Micra is just fantastic in general (great scissors and screwdrivers):
http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-64...eatherman+micra

Writing:
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-...lwaukee+sharpie

Tape:
http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-6100101-Tape-To-Go/dp/B001E5ZWT4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1451423500&sr=1-1&keywords=gorilla+tape

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I have it, it's good but it's big and heavy and not amazingly high quality. The dewalt I linked above is higher quality with zero wobble, though lacking the locking feature which is obviously nice.

EDIT, well this is my whole tool bag with many of the tools listed above. A couple I see in there that I forgot about are the multi-meter, butane lighter, gloves/mask/earplugs and allen wrench set.

Note that in general I think Milwaukee and Dewalt have both come out with great hand-tool lines. Many of the established brands like channel lock are good quality, but they havn't tried anything new in years or decades. The newer hand tool lines though offer some neat updates, like Milwaukee's locking pliers with an adjuster that's actually big enough to tighten down after the fact.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 29, 2015

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is picking up a couple of these to use as sawhorses a bad idea? I didn't like the reviews of a lot of the plastic ones and even some of the higher end sawhorses complained about construction quite a bit. I'm not going to be holding up a house with them or anything but I don't ever want to have to think about sawhorses again.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

One of these things? http://kk.org/cooltools/clamptite/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

small and large LED flashlights
I don't know what size lights you have but I'd pick up a silicone diffuser so you can tailstand one to use as an improvised lantern.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 30, 2015