Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hi liter posted:

Futurama is a much more earnest show than Rick and Morty, which has more or less made its name on its nihilistic attitude towards the universe. I don't see how any other network than Adult Swim could have aired this with any success.

And yet R&M has moments like Beth and Jerry making up at the end of inter-dimensional cable #1 which are actually quite earnest and play on the heart strings just as much as futurama's big moments.

To me R&M is just Futurama that is actually laugh out loud funny instead of just kinda amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

And yet R&M has moments like Beth and Jerry making up at the end of inter-dimensional cable #1 which are actually quite earnest and play on the heart strings just as much as futurama's big moments.

To me R&M is just Futurama that is actually laugh out loud funny instead of just kinda amusing.

This is a good post and I like it.

R&M clearly owes a lot of Futurama, and both draw significantly from the larger tradition of 20th century science fiction. I feel their differences mostly come in the form of style and tone which cable allows and network TV does not, i.e. TESTICLES EVERYWHERE.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Yeah there's been a bunch of moments I've laughed aloud for sure. For whatever reason when Rick lets out that horrible gigantic fart in the Gazorpazorp episode I was laughing way too long. Or when Fart forces the cop to commit suicide along with the look of total horror on Rick and Morty's face as he floats around singing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Shut the gently caress up about moonmen! This isn't a musical number

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 26, 2015

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I binged the entirety of this show in the past two days.

1. Can't believe I haven't watched it earlier.
2. This show is loving amazing and fills the void left by Futurama's departure, albeit ramping up the darkness and hosed-upness.
3. SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

movax posted:

I binged the entirety of this show in the past two days.

1. Can't believe I haven't watched it earlier.
2. This show is loving amazing and fills the void left by Futurama's departure, albeit ramping up the darkness and hosed-upness.
3. SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT.

I like what you got :)

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Please stop talking about shows in terms of "Show X, but with Y" :(

I mean, they give you a way to describe it in the first episode. "High-concept sci-fi rigmarole". Throw "Cynical" or "Dark" on the front end of that and you don't have to rely on people's perceptions and subjective experience of another show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

surc posted:

I mean, they give you a way to describe it in the first episode. "High-concept sci-fi rigmarole". Throw "Cynical" or "Dark" on the front end of that and you don't have to rely on people's perceptions and subjective experience of another show.

i will not do this fyi

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Just show them this.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

surc posted:

:goonsay:

Lick-lick-lick my balls!

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

hi liter posted:

This is a good post and I like it.

R&M clearly owes a lot of Futurama, and both draw significantly from the larger tradition of 20th century science fiction. I feel their differences mostly come in the form of style and tone which cable allows and network TV does not, i.e. TESTICLES EVERYWHERE.

Futurama has a lot of subtle humor that can take multiple passes to catch. R&M has some of that, but is mostly very open.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rewatching this during some holiday downtime and the Sisyphean nightmare of a subplot that is Beth and Jerry's marriage does not hold up very well at all. It's occasionally tolerable when the constant rehash overlaps with with an interesting gimmick (e.g. Meeseeks, Rixty Minutes), but the majority of the time it's just an anchor around the neck of any given episode. I really hope the leave it behind in the next season.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought the one with the Marriage Counselor was funny: "Oh my god. They're Codependent!" was a great line.

Generally I see the show as having a kind of kindly nihilism. The universe is poo poo but don't let it get to you. I summarize it to friends with Morty's line in the first Interdimentional TV episode - No one's here on purpose, no one belongs anywhere, we're all going to die. Come watch TV?

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

BioEnchanted posted:

I thought the one with the Marriage Counselor was funny: "Oh my god. They're Codependent!" was a great line.

Generally I see the show as having a kind of kindly nihilism. The universe is poo poo but don't let it get to you. I summarize it to friends with Morty's line in the first Interdimentional TV episode - No one's here on purpose, no one belongs anywhere, we're all going to die. Come watch TV?

That's about the only marriage moment I liked.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

hi liter posted:

Futurama is a much more earnest show than Rick and Morty, which has more or less made its name on its nihilistic attitude towards the universe. I don't see how any other network than Adult Swim could have aired this with any success.

I think FX could've done it considering the success of Archer.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

My only real problem with the marriage runner is that it's all kind of obvious. Thin line between love and hate, etc. I felt the counseling episode used it to good effect but ran into the problem that there wasn't really much to say about it - very few things to explore that we don't already know.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It was fine the first time they brought it up, maybe the second, but it's a well the show just keeps going back so often that it saps the fun out of a ton of the B-plots. Compared to stuff like "Keep Summer Safe," and "Ooo, is it Taddy Mason?" the marriage plots are utter poo poo.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't mind marriage plots so much, the problem is it's the same plot, ever episode it comes up. Their marriage sucks and they realize poo poo is terrible and then they decide to focus on the parts that are less lovely and tough it out by the end. Maybe the state of the marriage could develop or progress like the rest of the show? On the other hand, maybe that's the point.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I like the marriage subplots and everything about this show.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't mind marriage plots so much, the problem is it's the same plot, ever episode it comes up. Their marriage sucks and they realize poo poo is terrible and then they decide to focus on the parts that are less lovely and tough it out by the end. Maybe the state of the marriage could develop or progress like the rest of the show? On the other hand, maybe that's the point.

I suppose they could go with the idea that their awful marriage is something of a superpower, where it's so harmful and toxic that the aliens who encounter it are rendered helpless. That would make the recent episodes a decent jumping off point instead of more of the same.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ashpanash posted:

I suppose they could go with the idea that their awful marriage is something of a superpower, where it's so harmful and toxic that the aliens who encounter it are rendered helpless.

That's basically just the Meeseeks with Jerry's golf game.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Their marriage is trapped in limbo, it makes sense that the same things always come up. They're stuck in it while everyone else around them evolves, and nothing will ever change.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Perhaps it will improve now that Jerry is gainfully employed?

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 27, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WarpedNaba posted:

Perhaps it will improve now that Jerry is gainfully employed?

I get the feeling that Jerry is one of those people who will become incredibly smug about those 'lazy unemployed bums' or anyone whose job he deems less important than his even though he was recently longterm unemployed himself, which might just put different stresses on the marriage.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I get the feeling that Jerry is one of those people who will become incredibly smug about those 'lazy unemployed bums' or anyone whose job he deems less important than his even though he was recently longterm unemployed himself, which might just put different stresses on the marriage.

I like the theory that Jerry's job is going to end up being licking hairy ball sacks. And that will be the only reason he goes along with whatever plan is developed to save Rick.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I forgot, when and where did Jerry get employed?

edit: oh wait, I remember now. The galactic fed med-bot when they get back to earth. Hes more an indentured servant.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I, too, enjoy the marriage aspect of the show.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Same, I enjoy the marriage aspect and actually I'm a little disappointed that Earth in the show has now joined the galactic federation, because I felt that the contrast between regular life on earth vs. planet and dimension hopping was needed for balance.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's gotta be a setup for season 3 to resolve. Maybe they take down the federation and the council of ricks takes over to create a douchy libertarian paradise.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Time travel will fix everything by the end of the season premiere, or something.

Though I'd be down with Earth getting futureshocked to hell; there's a lot of potential for dark-as-gently caress high concept scifi rigamarole as Earth humans try to adjust to aliens and ultratechnology.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Kesper North posted:

Time travel will fix everything by the end of the season premiere, or something.

Though I'd be down with Earth getting futureshocked to hell; there's a lot of potential for dark-as-gently caress high concept scifi rigamarole as Earth humans try to adjust to aliens and ultratechnology.

They'll definitely play out the effects of confederation-controlled Earth for at least a few eps. I'd be really surprised if they did a full wipe in the first episode.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

a cop posted:

They'll definitely play out the effects of confederation-controlled Earth for at least a few eps. I'd be really surprised if they did a full wipe in the first episode.

It'd be a pretty epic troll though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm guessing they'll dimension hop away to a "normal" earth by the end of the season to reset things. But this show is crazy, which is what makes it great, so what do I know

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope the next season uses the statist federation enslavement of earth to turn every episode into Harmon and Roiland's libertarian soap box in a way that would make South Park feel uncomfortable.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Still sad that it's going to be not until November 2016 or May 2017 before new episodes come out.

Jkid
Apr 20, 2010
This show has been below my radar for two years and it's just recently that I've discovered it. For some reason, I remember tidbits of the show from various websites about the second season finale, and after reviewing the hall cosplay photos I've taken this year (Yes, I do attend anime conventions), everything made sense. After doing research on one of the characters (obviously Rick) I knew what this show is.

Immediately, I bought the first three episodes on Google Play and watched episodes 7 and 8 via adultswim on demand and I said to myself “Why didn't I noticed this show before?”. If I wasn't laughing openly, I was smiling with my mouth open in joy. This was especially with Rixty Minutes where most if not all the adverts were loving hilarious.

I enjoyed the series so much that on Black Friday weekend, I bought the season one DVD (for the comic) and Blu-ray, a t-shirt based on the series, the second season digital copy from Google Play, and the first volume comic. And as soon as I found out that there is a treasury edition of the comic based on the series I had to go out again, just to get that version of the comic.

What I like about the series that kept me watching even through the repeats, is that it combines sci-fi, comedy, family drama, and social/psychological commentary (which is baked into the humor!), and sci-fi movie spoofs (which are plenty of references or sometimes the entire plot of an episode) into one hilarious show.

After seeing most of season one and all of season 2 (thanks to adultswim) I have not regretted about finding out more about this show.

If anyone is interested here's the cosplay I took pictures and videos of.

From MAGFest 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2MFw_auM9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_wCdDyvM_s
From Otakon 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0u-ldl7m5U
From AnimeUSA 2015

(Full sized photos can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/IEWjH)

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Still sad that it's going to be not until November 2016 or May 2017 before new episodes come out.

I know. That's why I advise people who just found out about the show not to binge all the episodes at once. Due to the short length of the episodes and the long turnaround until the new season begins, if you binge watch all the episodes you will be wanting more. The show, the way it's made, is like candy.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Are Justin and Harmon that lacking in self awareness, because that would be a satire of an Ayn Rand philosophy. I don't see it happening.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

PassTheRemote posted:

Are Justin and Harmon that lacking in self awareness,

That's like the #1 prerequisite for being a libertarian

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Do Harmon and/or Roiland have a history of being vocal libertarians, other than Rick hating the Space Federation? If so, could links be provided?

From what I can tell (not a Harmon diehard other than enjoying some of the stuff he makes) Harmon seems to have a lot of contempt for the media companies which make television and employ him, and Roiland is, err, eccentric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I wouldn't have thought of Harmon as a libertarian at all, but I don't listen to Harmontown, I just know him from Community.

• Locked thread