Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

(If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend.)

4UW
Enchantment
All spells without suspend gain suspend X, where X is that spell's converted mana cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

I used some of my Xmas Money to finish an EDH Deck. I feel so giddy about it.

This is what Xmas is all about. Buying cardboard with other people's money.

I didn't get any money for cards but I got a knife block, maybe I can threaten people like that dude with his LGS glock :ese:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GeneX posted:

4UW
Enchantment
All spells without suspend gain suspend X, where X is that spell's converted mana cost.

This may not be perfect wording, but you'll be closer at:

Whenever a spell is cast from a player's hand, exile it and put X time counters on it, where X is its converted mana cost. It gains suspend.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Niton posted:

Happy Holidays from The Good Gamery!

[x]

:chanpop::chanpop::chanpop:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Niton posted:

Happy Holidays from The Good Gamery!

[x]

I just noticed one of the dudes is turned to stone, holding the spoiled kozilek, so good

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ramos posted:

This may not be perfect wording, but you'll be closer at:

Whenever a spell is cast from a player's hand, exile it and put X time counters on it, where X is its converted mana cost. It gains suspend.

If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend.

Otherwise you get a card with two instances of suspend. Part of suspend is "When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost." This ability will trigger twice when the last time counter is removed, which is... extremely confusing. What happens when a spell is literally cast twice?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The first trigger will move it from exile to the stack. The second trigger will attempt to cast it but fail because it can't find the game object anymore, because it changed zones.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That's why they use "If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend" in some cards to avoid that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My girlfriend wanted me to get into magic, so she got me one of those 1k boxes of cards and then like 3 duel decks, and 5 booster packs. Where's a good place to start learning this game so we can play together / learn strategy so she's not getting bored wiping the floor with me.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

My girlfriend wanted me to get into magic, so she got me one of those 1k boxes of cards and then like 3 duel decks, and 5 booster packs. Where's a good place to start learning this game so we can play together / learn strategy so she's not getting bored wiping the floor with me.

Any of the Duels of the Planeswalkers/Magic Duels games on Steam is a good place to start. They have single player campaigns and a variety of decks for you to play with and learn.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Of the Duels games, Magic Duels is free and ongoing (f2p model like Hearthstone but with a very player-friendly way to acquire cards without spending money.) If you want one of the paid ones, 13 is widely considered the best. There you play with a bunch of premade decks that you can edit to a pretty decent degree. Good way to wrap your head around a lot of different ways to play the game. But 13 probably won't have anyone online, so it's effectively single player vs AI only.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Also, feel free to ask questions in this thread: when we're not imploding over ~magic community drama~ or laughing at/tormenting mcmagic for his card analysis skills, we're all happy to help out.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'd go with the free to play magic duels. It's a worse game than the previous ones, but it does have a pretty comprehensive tutorial.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Man, do I love Vintage Cube.

The last two times I drafted Upheaval and got to win a bunch of times with that.

Now I am on the B/W tokens. Mirran Crusader completely destroys The Abyss, especially after you cast Armageddon.

Wheeeeee

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

En Fuego posted:

Man, do I love Vintage Cube.

The last two times I drafted Upheaval and got to win a bunch of times with that.

Now I am on the B/W tokens. Mirran Crusader completely destroys The Abyss, especially after you cast Armageddon.

Wheeeeee

Man I wish I got to have this much fun with Cube. All that ever happens is I get paired up against the guy with all the blue spells and the time vault/voltaic key combo. It's awful.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Time Vault's not in this version

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

whydirt posted:

Time Vault's not in this version

The guy with the perfect Mono Red deck then.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Count Bleck posted:

Man I wish I got to have this much fun with Cube. All that ever happens is I get paired up against the guy with all the blue spells and the time vault/voltaic key combo. It's awful.

To finish 3-0 I popped Mind Twist in two consecutive games.

First one nailed a T. Cruise and Karn, Liberace.

Second one hit T. Cruise, Elspeth and Karn.

Oh, and Mother of Runes is still hands down amazing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

En Fuego posted:

To finish 3-0 I popped Mind Twist in two consecutive games.

First one nailed a T. Cruise and Karn, Liberace.

Second one hit T. Cruise, Elspeth and Karn.

Oh, and Mother of Runes is still hands down amazing.

I don't really get this Karn, Liberace thing. You're going to have to explain this one to me.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

rabidsquid posted:

I don't really get this Karn, Liberace thing. You're going to have to explain this one to me.

See, he's Karn, Liberated. Liberated looks like Liberace. If you're looking for more than that, sorry.

Plus, you can alter your Karn to dress like this:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
karn inebriated is still the best one and you'd best step off if you're picking something else

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah, I like power cube and usually do a few every year, but I can completely see MJ's opinion that its full of unfun cards, and caters to "people in the know" and preys on noobs or middling players by offering them trap archtypes (any non-red aggro deck, for example, though this years cube seems to have improved on that). There's either broken cards or unplayable cards.

Basically its for lsv-types to smugly go off on T1 on some hapless chump who wandered into the cube because everyone says its the best format.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

"lsv-types" meaning...?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Its literally impossible to make a fun vintage cube that also doesn't "prey on noobs or middling players." A lot of the really powerful card interactions are not intuitive.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
People who like decks that make them feel smart and or are uninteractive/shut the opponent out of the game ie storm, upheaval etc. Nothing wrong with that and there's nothing wrong with cube being a very unfair/unforgiving format, but its also understandable when players of other mindsets or ability levels are like "wow cube sucks"

vvv I like lsv a lot but he is smug yeah

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GeneX posted:

"lsv-types" meaning...?

apparently this is the one guy who thinks lsv is a smug shithead

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Oh you think you're SOOOOO fuckign smart dontcha mr. blue mage

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Terrible Horse posted:

People who like decks that make them feel smart and or are uninteractive/shut the opponent out of the game ie storm, upheaval etc. Nothing wrong with that and there's nothing wrong with cube being a very unfair/unforgiving format, but its also understandable when players of other mindsets or ability levels are like "wow cube sucks"

This opinion about LSV just makes you sound really insecure, it's not a good look dawg.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

This opinion about LSV just makes you sound really insecure, it's not a good look dawg.

Lol I think I'll survive. Like I said, I like cube and broken stuff too, I just find it unfun sometimes and understand when other people do too. And lsv is very entertaining to watch, but he definitely knows he's awesome and isn't shy about it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

like he is the one pro-player who isn't smug, also this kind of editing is passive-aggressive bullshit, make a new post so i don't have to rely on other people to quote it to know you responded to me

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

also this kind of editing is passive-aggressive bullshit, make a new post so i don't have to rely on other people to quote it to know you responded to me

lmfbo "passive-aggressive bullshit", did someone poo poo in your christmas stocking?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I like broken stuff, but not when, like, my opponent is able to combo off on a turn that isn't 4.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Wow, my opponent who beat me must be feeling so smug, but I bet he would be feeling less smug if he had beaten me with siege rhino instead.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I like broken stuff, but not when, like, my opponent is able to combo off on a turn that isn't 4.

You're a monster if you can't appreciate losing two games in a row to blightsteel via mana vault and tinker turn 2 then mana vault, izzet signet, tinker turn 1.

This is the broken cube poo poo I live for

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Vintage cube would be a much less preditory format if it only contained cards from Battle For Zendikar, available today at a game store near you.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
lsv's definitely smug but hes also fun and nice most of the time too so him occasionally saying something a little smugly on his stream, not actually to the player, and mostly meant as a joke is completely different than what most smug mtg players are like.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
LSV's smugness also comes from being a 1900+ composite player even when he's not trying. Even when he' doesn't care at all, he's still one of the best players in the world. Can you really blame a guy like that for occasionally feeling superior to his opponents?

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 26, 2015

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
There's a big difference in showing some basic self confidence and making dumb jokes during a stream or YouTube video in order to entertain your audience and being a jerk to play against face to face.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i got turkish food w/ lsv this week incl some delish coffee and i can confirm he is a smug rear end mother fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
the lamb shank was very good though, and not smug

• Locked thread