Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Oovee posted:

Why no steam sale? Vacation comin up and I need to waste my life away..

Don't buy this on Steam unless you want to be stuck buying all future expansions at ridiculously inflated prices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
^^^^

Hell, I will give you the code from my Humble Bundle, fire me a PM.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
I'll just grab the bundle then, was just hoping there'd be a sale for the heavensward version somewhere.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Oovee posted:

I'll just grab the bundle then, was just hoping there'd be a sale for the heavensward version somewhere.

20% off at GMG with the code on the front page, I believe, as per usual for most holidays.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I got in on the reclamation late on my server. Wasn't really camping hard after they announced additional wards in 3.3 so I was lax about it. The house I was looking at was the 6 plot in Mist, right by the dock with the ferry to leave to Limsa. Found out that it was a Class 5 plot though. Decided to just leave it because I was short on cash for it(Had 29.3m, class 5s are 30m here.) So I hit up my roulettes to make progress on my Anima. During expert reclamation hit. When I got out of the duty I just figured I'd look around to see what was still available. Went up the Aetheryte in Gridania and browsed the wards. Lots of smalls still. Then I noticed a medium was available in Ward 5 Subdivision. Scoped it out a bit and decided to just pull the trigger. It's the plot 30 medium at the very top of the lavender beds, to the left of the dappled stalls. While I no doubt can flip this thing for a profit in the future, after spending a day just making the lawn it pretty.. the location is kind of growing on me. Actually digging the big waterfall behind it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
A few thoughts I've had lately.

1) I really like the little details they put into this game. I was doing leves out by Drybone and it was raining (it seems to rain a lot there for some reason), but the rain cleared up, and there was actually a rainbow in the sky afterward. That was nice.

Also, have you ever been near the Coliseum in Ul'dah? Outside one of the entrances there's a Roegadyn with a bright pink coat holding up a piece of paper. If you stand close enough, you'll notice that when he slaps it, there's a sound effect of him hitting the paper. It's such a tiny detail that didn't need to be added at all, but was by somebody. I think that's cool.

2) Is there any way to make solo questing as an archer not suck? I love the concept of the class, because bows and arrows are cool, but drat if archer isn't the squishiest motherfucker. I survive better as conjurer or thaumaturge than archer. Group play isn't so bad because stuff doesn't hit me, but solo... I have my Chocobo pet, and he's even going down Defender skills, but it's slow going if he can only hold threat on one enemy at a time.

I suppose I could just run hests and dungeons on archer forever and never step foot outside of town for anything but class quests.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Leofish posted:

1) I really like the little details they put into this game. I was doing leves out by Drybone and it was raining (it seems to rain a lot there for some reason), but the rain cleared up, and there was actually a rainbow in the sky afterward. That was nice.

Also, have you ever been near the Coliseum in Ul'dah? Outside one of the entrances there's a Roegadyn with a bright pink coat holding up a piece of paper. If you stand close enough, you'll notice that when he slaps it, there's a sound effect of him hitting the paper. It's such a tiny detail that didn't need to be added at all, but was by somebody. I think that's cool.

2) Is there any way to make solo questing as an archer not suck? I love the concept of the class, because bows and arrows are cool, but drat if archer isn't the squishiest motherfucker. I survive better as conjurer or thaumaturge than archer. Group play isn't so bad because stuff doesn't hit me, but solo... I have my Chocobo pet, and he's even going down Defender skills, but it's slow going if he can only hold threat on one enemy at a time.

I suppose I could just run hests and dungeons on archer forever and never step foot outside of town for anything but class quests.

What is your highest level class? If it's 30, get your companion chocobro. If you've done the my personal chocobo quest via your grand company to get your mount, go to Camp Tranquil in South Shroud and do the quest My Feisty Little Chocobo to get a battlebird. This gives you an extra body that can soak up some of that damage and heal you.

Also learn to kite. It's life of an archer until you get wanderers minuet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Leofish posted:

The weather in this game really god drat well done. I.e. there's a constant haze present in the game, that kinda limits the sight distance, but rainfall washes it away so it's not there after it lets up and you can really see things in the distance clearly. Most simulators don't go that far.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Truga posted:

The weather in this game really god drat well done. I.e. there's a constant haze present in the game, that kinda limits the sight distance, but rainfall washes it away so it's not there after it lets up and you can really see things in the distance clearly. Most simulators don't go that far.

The weather also has worldwide patterns and moves throughout the world. They've done a lot of stuff like this that is really cool.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Leofish posted:

Until level 52, you never have to actually stop moving to use any of your attacks. Don't!

Also, make sure your gear is up to date.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

The weather also has worldwide patterns and moves throughout the world. They've done a lot of stuff like this that is really cool.

I guess I'd never paid attention to that, but if rain in La Noscea turns into a blizzard in Coerthas a few days later or whatever that is really cool.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mr. Nice! posted:

What is your highest level class? If it's 30, get your companion chocobro. If you've done the my personal chocobo quest via your grand company to get your mount, go to Camp Tranquil in South Shroud and do the quest My Feisty Little Chocobo to get a battlebird. This gives you an extra body that can soak up some of that damage and heal you.

Also learn to kite. It's life of an archer until you get wanderers minuet.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Until level 52, you never have to actually stop moving to use any of your attacks. Don't!

Also, make sure your gear is up to date.

I've been trying to keep moving as I fight, and that has helped to some degree. I guess at this point now it's just making sure I don't wander into new enemies while I'm trying to keep the first one at bay. That or dragging my enemy beyond its tether and then it becomes invincible and resets.

My Chocobro is a Rank 4 Defender, just got Choco Kick. Maybe that'll make a difference. I was still pulling off of him before, but I'll give it another shot.

Thanks for your help!

Also, this is a ways away, yet, but how does Machinist compare to Archer/Bard it terms of gameplay? Am I look at a lot more of the same?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It's bard but more convoluted for the same functions and damage output

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hivac posted:

It's bard but more convoluted for the same functions and damage output

I didn't take my bard past 50, but doesn't it get pretty awkward at 60?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I didn't take my bard past 50, but doesn't it get pretty awkward at 60?

As someone who mains Bard, no. Bard is super easy at 60. Machinist has way more buttons to hit and is pretty much a Bard but a lot shittier.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Hello all, complete noob here. I got Christmas money that I am burning to waste and I love Final Fantasy. I just have a couple questions before I sink it into his one in particular.

1) How is the solo experience? Typically when I play MMOs, I end up walking away from them after a short while because it gets pretty boring playing alone. I don't have any mates with a PS4 who are willing to sink the same cash and time that I am. I did manage to complete Destiny's main campaign without getting bored and I'm not even an FPS guy for whatever that's worth.

2) Is the game fairly balanced? I will do what I want regardless, but I'm curious if there's some agreed upon class that's better than the rest. If min-maxing is a thing.

3) If there are any other noob tips that aren't covered in the OP I'd appreciate it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Leofish posted:

I've been trying to keep moving as I fight, and that has helped to some degree. I guess at this point now it's just making sure I don't wander into new enemies while I'm trying to keep the first one at bay. That or dragging my enemy beyond its tether and then it becomes invincible and resets.

My Chocobro is a Rank 4 Defender, just got Choco Kick. Maybe that'll make a difference. I was still pulling off of him before, but I'll give it another shot.

Thanks for your help!

Also, this is a ways away, yet, but how does Machinist compare to Archer/Bard it terms of gameplay? Am I look at a lot more of the same?

To be honest birds seem pretty bad at tanking, i had way, way better luck just specing into healer and leaving him in healer stance as well. I'm not sure if it's a pain to get the peppers to respec him at low levels if this is your first character though.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Wanderer's minuet introduces a bottleneck that forces you to think about where you position yourself, and it comes with a bunch of new skills that develops into an economy of GCD attacks and oGCDs buffs/burst damage. All of the 50+ BRD skills are supposed to make the player plan out their rotations, while remaining flexible enough to use their procs from their 2.0 skillset. ARR BRD worked in a very similar way, especially with how important applying buffed dots was, but most players didn't bother learning the class well enough to do the most dot damage possible while also increasing their number of river of blood procs.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I am new to this so why is the house thing all limited?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

LethalGeek posted:

I am new to this so why is the house thing all limited?

Because at the end of the day there's a lot of crazy things going on serverside in FFXIV that makes some things suboptimal.

The existing pretty good MMO was built on the foundation of a really bad MMO planned out by people who knew next to nothing about large scale online game design.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

SonicRulez posted:

Hello all, complete noob here. I got Christmas money that I am burning to waste and I love Final Fantasy. I just have a couple questions before I sink it into his one in particular.

1) How is the solo experience? Typically when I play MMOs, I end up walking away from them after a short while because it gets pretty boring playing alone. I don't have any mates with a PS4 who are willing to sink the same cash and time that I am. I did manage to complete Destiny's main campaign without getting bored and I'm not even an FPS guy for whatever that's worth.

2) Is the game fairly balanced? I will do what I want regardless, but I'm curious if there's some agreed upon class that's better than the rest. If min-maxing is a thing.

3) If there are any other noob tips that aren't covered in the OP I'd appreciate it.

1. Destiny's whole 2 hours of campaign didn't bore you down? I'm shocked. :geno:

FF14 is very much solo game outside of dungeons and raids. However, afrer lvl 15 or so you start getting new dungeons every few levels which is the real meat of the game along wirh a pretty good story line.

2. The game is very much balanced for casual play and if any old curmudgeon itt says otherwise they're talking in regards to top tier raiding content (i.e. The only content where class balance matters).

3. Always do main story quests first, then job quest then whatever gives you levels faster.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Belzac posted:

I sure do love my bioware visual novels.

I don't even really care about romance, but I'd like more content where it feels like my character is a part of the world and has an active role in it in a way that isn't doing peoples' chores for them. It'd be nice if your character could have meaningful relationships with other characters on the side, at your choosing, like your character has with Alphinaud, Hauchefant, Cid, and the like.

The MSQ is good for that but there isn't enough of it. A lot of the quests that introduce you to content are actually good for this too, like the Diadem/Void Ark introductions, but they're too brief to really establish much beyond "your character is a do-gooder".

Granted this is well outside the typical MMO setup of kill monsters + minigames, but people seem to like the MSQ so it could probably work if there was a good way to handle it.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Balmung will fulfill all your rp needs. Yoshi condones it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

jyrque posted:

Balmung will fulfill all your rp needs. Yoshi condones it.

Was Balmung ever designated as "The RP Server" or did all those ERP nerds just decide to roost there?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Tenik posted:

Wanderer's minuet introduces a bottleneck that forces you to think about where you position yourself, and it comes with a bunch of new skills that develops into an economy of GCD attacks and oGCDs buffs/burst damage. All of the 50+ BRD skills are supposed to make the player plan out their rotations, while remaining flexible enough to use their procs from their 2.0 skillset. ARR BRD worked in a very similar way, especially with how important applying buffed dots was, but most players didn't bother learning the class well enough to do the most dot damage possible while also increasing their number of river of blood procs.

It's really amazing how many bards ignored(and still ignore) throwing out flaming arrow when their buffs are in full swing. Sure it doesn't help with River of Blood procs, but that skill is the absolute strongest one for large packs/pulls. It's pretty consistently the largest portion of my damage in A2S and probably pretty close in Expert/60 roulette.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Was Balmung ever designated as "The RP Server" or did all those ERP nerds just decide to roost there?
never anything official, just a bugzapper that doesn't actually work

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
MCH has a specific burst rotation to start planned around wildfire. In between wildfire cool downs it's essentially using certain oGCDs, and keeping lead shot and hot shot up and hoping you get procs for your next shot. Overall it seems BRD does better DPS and has more utility beside TP and MP regen. Both MCH and BRD having gauss barrel and wanderer's minuet just feels like forced homogenization.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

jyrque posted:

2. The game is very much balanced for casual play and if any old curmudgeon itt says otherwise they're talking in regards to top tier raiding content (i.e. The only content where class balance matters).

Yep. You'll hear people bitch about how this or that class is bad (I've said it about paladin myself) but at the end of the day every class is perfectly capable of clearing all the content in the game as long as you're half competent at playing it and are wearing relatively appropriate gear so don't worry at all about picking a "bad" class. The only bad classes are the ones you aren't having fun with. And paladin

that was a "joke", Paladins are fine

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 26, 2015

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

jyrque posted:

1. Destiny's whole 2 hours of campaign didn't bore you down? I'm shocked. :geno:

FF14 is very much solo game outside of dungeons and raids. However, afrer lvl 15 or so you start getting new dungeons every few levels which is the real meat of the game along wirh a pretty good story line.

3. Always do main story quests first, then job quest then whatever gives you levels faster.

To add to this:
On your first character to 60, you're going to do a lot of quests. A whole lot of quests. Don't save quests for future characters because most other content gets an exp bonus when you're leveling jobs lower than your highest job, but quests do not.
All the jobs are pretty well balanced but paladin is definitely the red headed stepchild of tanking while warrior is best. Paladin has no AoE damage at all, and warrior has the best single target DPS of the three tanks.

Also Destiny's leveling/single player experience improved a lot when 2.0 happened. It's still very much "do these six things over and over until you're bored" the game after that, though.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
The only content related issue with Paladin is entirely relegated to Alexander Gordias Savage being tuned way too tightly on DPS checks and having an obscene amount of magic damage compared to physical. That caused a shift in the tanking meta which left the job in kind of an awkward place, but that was really only an issue in the early days. Alternative means of obtaining 210 gear and Void Arks tanking set itemization has more or less made that no longer an issue. It's a solid job and like all solid jobs could still use a little tweaking, such as hopefully changing Clemency to being based on Skill Speed and not Spell Speed. Seriously, don't know what they were thinking there.

But yeah they realized they screwed the pooch with Alexander Gordias Savage. Thordan Extreme was basically a huge apology to Paladin, not requiring Hallowed Ground to soak the Sword Oathed Holy Bladedance when Warrior and Dark Knight need their super mitigation skills for it.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 26, 2015

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The only advantage pld has on that fight is being able to take undergeared double whm alts because divine veil allows you to survive ultimate end without tank lb. Pld still does poo poo dps and dps is the king of progression and farm.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Skaw posted:

The only content related issue with Paladin is entirely relegated to Alexander Gordias Savage being tuned way too tightly on DPS checks and having an obscene amount of magic damage compared to physical. That caused a shift in the tanking meta which left the job in kind of an awkward place, but that was really only an issue in the early days. Alternative means of obtaining 210 gear and Void Arks tanking set itemization has more or less made that no longer an issue. It's a solid job and like all solid jobs could still use a little tweaking, such as hopefully changing Clemency to being based on Skill Speed and not Spell Speed. Seriously, don't know what they were thinking there.

But yeah they realized they screwed the pooch with Alexander Gordias Savage. Thordan Extreme was basically a huge apology to Paladin, not requiring Hallowed Ground to soak the Sword Oathed Holy Bladedance when Warrior and Dark Knight need their super mitigation skills for it.

It's true that it's better for Paladin right now, the problem is that the entire game is designed to give them a structural disadvantage compared to other tanks Paladin is the tank that emphasizes highest defence and lowest offence.

The issue is that having higher defence isn't the advantage one might think it is, because every tank role gets enough mitigation to handle the MT role with various levels of player skill and party support. When hate control is not really an issue, and survivability isn't an issue with some base level of practice and effort, then all that's left to distinguish the various tanks is how much damage they can do. This is not just a progression raiding thing; DPS is important in progression to make checks, but it's also nice to smooth out fights on farm and get through them faster. For making solo play easier. For making 4-man and 24-man dungeons finish more quickly.

Someone, either here or someone else, made a comment about endgame in 3.0 where there are no more healer/tank roles, there are just 8 DPS roles and half of them have extra responsibilities on top that. It's very apt.

The game has had this problem to a greater or lesser degree since launch, it's just that Gordias Savage really put it into stark relief. Granted, it's also because right now DRK tends to compete only against PLD for party slots, as neither really muscles into WAR's territory of being the offensive off-tank. Combine that with DRK being able to edge out more DPS when compared to PLD and also just being the new, cool tank role.

It will be interesting to see how the change to tank damage calculations in 3.2 changes this up. The change will have to be pretty substantive to how tanks work for it to change the dynamic.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

a kitten posted:

To be honest birds seem pretty bad at tanking, i had way, way better luck just specing into healer and leaving him in healer stance as well. I'm not sure if it's a pain to get the peppers to respec him at low levels if this is your first character though.

This, I had my chocobo as a jack of all trades and when I started getting into Heavensward content with my black mage, the mobs there hit a lot harder and are harder to kill than pre-hw mobs so my chocobo just wasn't keeping up. I did a couple hunts and traded 20 hunt marks for a chocobo skill reset, went all into healing with the heal skill, and I could pull 2 mobs at a time without issues.

Leofish posted:

I'd highly recommend doing what I did and going all heals.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably asked a lot, but I didn't see it in the OP.

Is there anything gained by buying the expansion before I hit the level cap?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only thing you get before 50 is the ability to play a character with a hideous skin condition.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ainsley McTree posted:

that was a "joke", Paladins are fine

:yikes:

i prefer drk but i still took paladin to 60 b/c i enjoy it, it gets some fun new toys

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Side note, ignore the side quest advice. It's true that the side quests don't her an xp bonus the second time around, but if you take the time to do every single side quest on your first lap, you'll eventually be doing content that gives xp and item rewards FAR lower than you could otherwise earn.

More importantly, LEVELING OTHER CLASSES WITHOUT QUESTS IS BORING AS poo poo. Yes, there are levequests and whatnot, but they're in limited supply. Save sidequests so you can break up the monotony of grinding out other classes. Ditto the Hilde quests once you unlock them - as much as you'll want to, don't binge the quests. Do maybe one Hilde questline a month in between other stuff - your future self will thank you for not running out. Ditto the postmoogle quests; there are 25 of those, so one or two a week will last you a long time

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

you're dumb stop hoarding quests and clear that map out

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I'd second that advice, actually. Every non-main class I try to level, I stall out around 15/16 without sidequests. There's only so many times you can run Sastasha or Tam Tara or the same few levequests and hests and uuuuuugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
100% armory bonus (affects kills, fates, dungeon/boss clears) is way better than the pittance you get out of side quests. Armory bonus is also inaccessible to your first leveled job so blaze those quests dang it

• Locked thread