Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Merry Christmas TVIV :toot:

I got you a present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Knightmare was great, but nothing sucked worse than watching a team screw up really soon into the quest and seeing it get started again. Treygard killed as the host in fairness.

I could defend the team here by claiming that here in Wales left is right, and right is left... but he's just a thicko.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 26, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last year's Black Mirror Christmas special was just added to Netflix today and man, that was loving harsh, even for Black Mirror.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Bates Motel is really good, everyone is perfectly cast.

Does Jane the Virgin not have a thread? I'm up to the writing intern bit and it's so wrapped up in itself with all the different plots. It is an extremely fun show. I love the dad, he's such a dope.

There is! And that show really needs more people watching it; it's fun and charming :( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746507

I don't think I've posted in there yet as I've not caught up; 2 more eps left in the first season for me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

zoux posted:

Double post but since many of us are with familes and friends who don't have our sophisticated and superior palates, what TV are y'all getting exposed to?

I've learned a lot about how people manage the wilds of Alaska and also there is a sinister mystery at Oak Island.

i learned that a secret map proves the vikings had visited china

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

i learned that a secret map proves the vikings had visited china

I watched a bunch of Andy Griffith shows and learned that Don Knotts comedic skills remain amazing even unto this day.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i watched a lot of DONUT SHOWDOWN which i am now convinced is the greatest show of all time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

"i'm making little aliens out of chocolate so it looks like the donut is in space"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bruceski posted:

And yet they showed an hour a night, so you got the worst of both worlds. Everything felt very rushed, no consistency between the first and second half-hours...

To be fair, Galavant would have been a bad show anyway, because it felt like they didn't have enough story even for what time they did have.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
A Very Murray Christmas was extremely cool and good and I'm glad I waited until today to watch it. Okay bye

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Last year's Black Mirror Christmas special was just added to Netflix today and man, that was loving harsh, even for Black Mirror.

Is it intellectually interesting or just mean? I like about 50% of Black Mirror and hate the other 50% of it and think its garbage.

Because I'm an egotistical snob.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's one of the interesting ones. I disliked the pig fucker, the cartoon politician, and the White Bear memory wipe episode if that tells you anything.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mu Zeta posted:

It's one of the interesting ones. I disliked the pig fucker, the cartoon politician, and the White Bear memory wipe episode if that tells you anything.

You liked this episode but disliked White Bear?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

White Bear is really irritating to watch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

We are on pretty much the same page. "White Bear' was so hyped. In fact, i went into the entire show blind except for the fact that people said things like "omg white bear". The only interesting parts of that episode are during the end credits. Its like they could have told an interesting story, but instead they opted for "mystery" and left the interesting bit as an easter egg.

Edit: god drat I love Black Mirror.
Edit 2: how is this one episode?! I mean I get that it's a special, it's just blowing my mind.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 26, 2015

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I watched the pilot of Colony, the new show from Carlton Cuse.

Looks like Damon Lindelof was the one who kept Lost from going off the rails.

Didn't Cuse join the show after a few episodes because Damon Lindelof was going insane?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Snak posted:

Is it intellectually interesting or just mean?

Yes.

I think more than any other episode, the Christmas episode is super emotional but completely falls apart about 5 minutes after the episode ends when you think about how contrived everything about it is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Yes.

I think more than any other episode, the Christmas episode is super emotional but completely falls apart about 5 minutes after the episode ends when you think about how contrived everything about it is.

Yeah I really liked it until the ending, when it became the poster-child for what I hate about Black Mirror. And maybe British scifi in general. Basically they had a really good premise, and a really good exploration of that premise, and a really poo poo idea of how to conclude it with a "moral".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Didn't Cuse join the show after a few episodes because Damon Lindelof was going insane?

Yeah Lindelof considers/ed Cuse a mentor of some kind so he was brought in very early on to help out

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Argue posted:

There is! And that show really needs more people watching it; it's fun and charming :( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746507

I don't think I've posted in there yet as I've not caught up; 2 more eps left in the first season for me.

Yeah, It's kind of hard to explain. OK, so this Catholic girl accidentally got artificially inseminated, then the baby daddy turned out to be the son of a Hotel chain tycoon, which leads to all sorts of crazy telenovela complications, so everybody is cheating on each other, there are secret twins, amnesia and blackmail storylines, the whole shebang.

It's also about Jane who had her whole life plan disrupted by this unexpected pregnancy. So it's also about the strength of friends and family dealing with an unexpected pregnancy. It's also laugh laugh out loud funny at times but it usually comes from what we know about the characters, but the characters are usually fully developed characters. Even Jane's dad, who is usually good for a laugh, genuinely, sincerely cares about his daughter.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 26, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't care much for pig fucker either, but it annoys me that one of the main issues I had with it is that it just seemed too silly. Well strike that off the list.

Brooker's creative stuff still rubs me the wrong way though. I just can't help but watch some of it while hearing him, sat on the couch, and calling it a bunch of pretentious poo poo. Some is solid, but generally not when it's all in his hands.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The cartoon bear politician one was really weak, but it was also originally an unused Nathan Barley script making fun of Sascha Baron Cohen which explains a lot.

Then again I liked the pigfucker episode and that started its life as a script satirizing the media coverage of Princess Diana written back when she was still alive so idk.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So did anyone catch the early premiere of Second Chance? I'm still not sure what to make of it. I didn't dislike it, but on the other hand, I can't remember a single thing I actively liked about it. It was just this side of inoffensively boring. But I've missed Tim DeKay as an FBI agent since White Collar got cancelled, so I'm almost conflicted.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I must be broken. The Waldo Moment is my second favorite episode of Black Mirror after 15 Million Merits.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So yesterday my internet/tv reception was hosed, so I decided to pop in those Wire dvds I had bought ages ago...

Motherfucker.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's a thing with British television in general, but Black Mirror has a really bad habit of coming up with a clever idea and then twisting it and exploring it in interesting ways, and then running it into the ground yelling "GET IT? GET IT!? DO YOU GET IT!!" in your face.

It's a huge turn-off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Christopher Nolan also does that so it must be a British thing

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, Sherlock and Dr. Who also do it, which is why I said that. But I removed mentioning either of those from my post because I didn't want to talk about them.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
let me know when you two finish jerking eachother off, I will clean the bad opinions off the floor ^_^

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like Black Mirror, it's just a rollercoaster watching it.

even the episodes I like I'm like

huh neat -> haha holy poo poo -> oh gently caress oh gently caress -> drat -> okay yeah -> yeah okay -> are you serious

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snak posted:

I like Black Mirror, it's just a rollercoaster watching it.

even the episodes I like I'm like

huh neat -> haha holy poo poo -> oh gently caress oh gently caress -> drat -> okay yeah -> yeah okay -> are you serious
I was really surprised to see you and Zetas opinion on the Christmas episode. I thought it was a spiritual successor to White Bear. I would have assumed if you disliked that episode this one would not do it for you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I was really surprised to see you and Zetas opinion on the hristmas episode. I thought it was a spiritual successor to White Bear. I would have assumed if you disliked that episode this one would not do it for you.

White bear was basically the opposite of what I'm describing. White Bear was lame until the scenes during the credits, which were the best part.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kurtofan posted:

So yesterday my internet/tv reception was hosed, so I decided to pop in those Wire dvds I had bought ages ago...

Motherfucker.

Sheeeeeiiittttttttt.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is Colony the scifi version of The Leftovers, but from Cuse instead of Lindelof? I watched the pilot, looked mildly interesting, but reading up on it, he said it's about the life under an alien invasion. Kind of feels like it's going to be there on a hanging thread, never going to be detailed.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurtofan posted:

Motherfucker.

Omar comin'

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Marco Polo special is out, One Hundred Eyes. Watching it tonight.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Manos del Sino posted:

I must be broken. The Waldo Moment is my second favorite episode of Black Mirror after 15 Million Merits.

Same here. I must be doubly broken because I also think White Bear is complete unadulterated garbage

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
I'm curious about the percentage of non-HD tvs in the general public still in use, and if the prices will adjust accordingly when nobody really has a non-hd tv anymore. I was browsing through the on-demand menu for comcast and shows on channels you don't subscribe to are 1.99 for regular or 2.99 for hd. That seemed kind of weird since if you have HD through comcast, you're already paying a fee for that. Shouldn't the content cost the same no matter the resolution?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FetusSlapper posted:

I'm curious about the percentage of non-HD tvs in the general public still in use, and if the prices will adjust accordingly when nobody really has a non-hd tv anymore. I was browsing through the on-demand menu for comcast and shows on channels you don't subscribe to are 1.99 for regular or 2.99 for hd. That seemed kind of weird since if you have HD through comcast, you're already paying a fee for that. Shouldn't the content cost the same no matter the resolution?

The thing is comcrap likes money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

At this point charging extra for hd packages is on the level of cell phone providers charging extra for text messages, in that it's total bullshit that probably costs them little to nothing extra but they'll try to squeeze that extra bit of profit out of you because gently caress you.

• Locked thread