Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Halman posted:

Applied to the fleet. Halman in game.

You're in.

Also here's how you claim your Repulse: once you claimed the blueprint you can find it under -> Storage -> Non-Battle Items. Right click the bueprint and select use. Enjoy your new Tier 5 premium BB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Thanks!

People were accidentally selling the blueprint and then freaking the gently caress out in chat, so good

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Halman posted:

Thanks!

People were accidentally selling the blueprint and then freaking the gently caress out in chat, so good

Yes, that's why I thought I'd tell you guys how to claim it propperly before all the goons sell it by accident too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Feindfeuer posted:

Yes, that's why I thought I'd tell you guys how to claim it propperly before all the goons sell it by accident too.

I almost mucked it up by accident, thanks for the description.

This thing will be fun.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The Repulse is an amazing Glass Cannon. That is all :allears:

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Stevefin posted:

The Repulse is an amazing Glass Cannon. That is all :allears:

I drive it like its a destroyer. I don't live very long but I have a blast doing it and I'll usually catch the other capitals off guard.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

I drive it like its a destroyer. I don't live very long but I have a blast doing it and I'll usually catch the other capitals off guard.

The Repulse can almost become a destroyer. With range finding and a scouting crew it can get over 5km scouting range, add to the speed and the shear pen and damage of its main and secondaries it is a real beast

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Complete obliteration.

Not pictured: Sinking the Florido with my deck gun.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Applied to fleet as CoffeeHitler

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Just grabbed this game and got the Repulse, for a second I thought I lost it because I had zero credits to actually get it with, but it was there.

Is there anything I should know going in, which premium setup to get and what not? Also, how does crew work and how do you get them?

Also, there is a distinct lack of the Alaska in the US tree, did they ever mention it? EDIT: They mention both it and the Montana in the ship descriptions for US X, do they plan to add them?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 25, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Getting 3 sub kills in a carrier.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Michaellaneous posted:

Getting 3 sub kills in a carrier.

Carriers are actually the best sub hunters in the game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Carriers are actually the best sub hunters in the game.

Oh absolutely but the swarms of destroyers and light cruisers usually steal your show.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

Just grabbed this game and got the Repulse, for a second I thought I lost it because I had zero credits to actually get it with, but it was there.

Is there anything I should know going in, which premium setup to get and what not? Also, how does crew work and how do you get them?

Also, there is a distinct lack of the Alaska in the US tree, did they ever mention it? EDIT: They mention both it and the Montana in the ship descriptions for US X, do they plan to add them?

You can buy gold based on a fixed money-to-gold price. If you click on the little present icon in the shipyard, you'll see a bunch of prices. Those are one-time packages that you can use to double the amount of gold you purchase. The 6800 gold one is pretty reasonable, but you don't really need gold to play the game. I've mostly spent my gold on ship slots.

The growth plan is the other tab, and it's basically an investment scheme. You buy it with gold, and then get that gold back as you research up the tiers. You also get a bunch of free xp. It's a pretty good deal if you plan on playing the game a lot.

You have to decide whether or not you like the game before you research your first tier 5 ship. It'll be an easy decision imo

Currently the devs are basically giving you free premium all the time. If you get 2 wins in a group/squad/platoon you get 24 hours of premium, and this is a daily event. Also, every week I seem to get 10 matches of premium from the devs as well.

I don't know what the plan for this game is. There's probably some main Chinese forum for it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Feindfeuer posted:

You're in.

Also here's how you claim your Repulse: once you claimed the blueprint you can find it under -> Storage -> Non-Battle Items. Right click the bueprint and select use. Enjoy your new Tier 5 premium BB

How do you claim it? I'm not seeing anything in the events tab.

nvm fleet chat helped. gotta check the steam store page.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 25, 2015

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How do you claim it? I'm not seeing anything in the events tab.

Start the game through the DLC page in steam, claim it through the 'Gift' button in the bottom right, right-click and Use from Storage>Non-Battle items. Congrats on your Tier V battleship!

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
Does anyone know if the scouting range buffs (range finder, various commander abilities) also apply to scout aircraft? (or non-scout aircraft for that matter).

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Trying to buy gold because I'm an awful person and I see myself getting $14 out of this game, but Steam is making GBS threads itself and won't let me. I wonder if it's a sign.

EDIT: Also just got a gift with a bunch of Chinese Characters and the word Steam that gives me nothing and links me to a Chinese login page, which I assume is related.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 25, 2015

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Mazz posted:

Trying to buy gold because I'm an awful person and I see myself getting $14 out of this game, but Steam is making GBS threads itself and won't let me. I wonder if it's a sign.

Steam is currently in the middle of making GBS threads itself entirely. Best to wait until tomorrow probably. Last time I checked the store, it sent me to the Mexico Steam Store, when I should be seeing the US one.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Mazz posted:

I dropped 22 bucks on it for the growth plan, but forgot to take the double gold thing into account. It triggered 2 of the packages and now I'm sitting on 14k gold even after buying 30 days of premium and a ton of ship slots. Worth it imo.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

dpidz0r posted:

Does anyone know if the scouting range buffs (range finder, various commander abilities) also apply to scout aircraft? (or non-scout aircraft for that matter).

They shouldn't unless it is a commander ability that says it adds it to aircraft. There are two or three commanders that have that.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I had some free time so I'm throwing down this crew management guide. Please correct me if I get anything wrong!

Getting Crew
You mostly get crew from buying it in the store. Click on the shop and then the "Commander" tab, or click a crew slot and select "Recruit a Commander". The page looks like this:

You can buy commanders with Merit or gold. You can get Merit through events, and monthly/weekly if you play enough or are in a clan. You can get gold through money. The crew you get are random, and I don't know anybody who's bought the 18000 gold list that supposedly gives you more rare crew.

You'll also get some free crew for buying your first tier V ship in a class. They're pretty good.

Crew Management
You can get to the main screen by opening the Barracks, or clicking a crew slot and choosing "Select a Commander"

I HAVE LABELLED THIS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE
1. The crew of your currently selected ship. The number below their portrait is their skill level.
2. What your crew's skill level is doing to your ship, in their current position. Mouse over a position icon to see this.
3. Select a pre-built crew. You need to make it yourself.
4. Takes you to a new tab where you can make a pre-built crew selection.

Mouse over a commander to see the stuff in the red border.
5. The name of a terrible commander.
6. The skill level of a terrible commander.
7. The promotion level of your terrible commander, in stars.
8. The level of a bad commander that I will never use. If I did, the xp bar would fill up, and his skill level would increase each time.
9. The CP cost of the captain's ability. Press spacebar in-game to use it. I think you gain CP from doing stuff in-game that would give you xp.
10. The requirements to unlock a crew kill. Level is their level, the word is their promotion level.
It goes: Common - Superior - Elite - Excellent - Legendary.
This commander has ludicrous requirements for a mediocre skill.

Crew Promotion
From the barracks, clicking on the "Promotion" tab brings you here.

Drag a commander into the box, and it'll tell you how many qualification points you need to promote them. In my screenshot, I have selected German Admiral and noted war-criminal, Erich Raeder.

You get qualification points for getting repeat commanders from random draws. The extra commander is incinerated and converted into qualification points, which you will need a lot of to promote your commanders up. It costs more and more points to promote higher star commanders.

Click on the eye to get this preview screen.

You can select "Rarity" to get a preview of what abilities you unlock at a given promotion level. Commanders also increase their skill level with each promotion. At Legendary, some commanders get a boost to one of their existing skills.

That's all!

Make sure to train up your crew, goons. Beyond their abilities, skill level is also very important and helps you gain an edge over other players. Try to stay away from bad commanders, don't waste any xp on them because they're usually useless and stay useless.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 25, 2015

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Mazz posted:

EDIT: Also just got a gift with a bunch of Chinese Characters and the word Steam that gives me nothing and links me to a Chinese login page, which I assume is related.
It's not, steam is having a massive clusterfuck of issues right now: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3y7r0b/do_not_login_to_any_steam_websites/

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Oh I had absolutely no intention of logging into that page, just saying.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
If the English battleships follow the same formula as the Repulse that ship tree is going to be really good! Same with the Chinese (read: Russian) destroyer line.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

If they give it a designated Battlecruiser line that could happen, but than we would miss out on the actual british battleships like the Queen Elizabeth Class, Iron Duke... or the actual Dreadnought.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So I spent most of today playing, and Battleships are fun as hell. I've gotten my lead pretty worked out to where I can sink DDs on the move or turning given I guess heading change correct. Got halfway to the Nevada in a day, love the Wyoming to death.

gently caress subs forever though. The fact I can do nothing to them when the game winds down to just us is kinda ridiculous. Does HE hurt them under water? And/or does it have better splash when they surface? I can't get a good direct hit salvo in even with a good grouping and aim.

Also the Fubuki is indeed fun, I get a little cocky with it though and charge headlong into a lot more people then I thought were there originally nearly every game.

Apped for GOONS, name is basically the same.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 26, 2015

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Most battleships are as fast as surfaced subs, sometimes even faster and they are all faster than diving subs. If you manage to evade its initial torpedo salvo get close and stay on top of it. It has to surface eventually and than it's a free ramming kill for you. It's not easy (unless the sub is stupid), but on the other hand the sub is one of the hard counters for BBs so it shouldn't be easy.

e:
Also, if you're MazzSAE you're in. Otherwise I have to kick that guy out again.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 26, 2015

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Fun little fact you can use as a carrier, I often see the multiple muzzle flashes from the battleships in the same location. I have my torpedo bombers launch from way out so as to not alert them of air attack.

they never move. :getin:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

they never move. :getin:

That is all you needed, it's the story of BB drivers in this game since the maps are so small. Just park the trailer on the spawn spot and wait for the plebs to light something up. Then whine about OP subs, destroyer or whatever killed them sitting motionless this time.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Ratzap posted:

That is all you needed, it's the story of BB drivers in this game since the maps are so small. Just park the trailer on the spawn spot and wait for the plebs to light something up. Then whine about OP subs, destroyer or whatever killed them sitting motionless this time.

The death of every F2P game. They all get "Balanced" to wherever the prevailing winds of bullshit are blowing. I'm going to enjoy it while I can until BB's become unkillable juggernauts to cater to the poopsock crowd that just wants naval themed progress quest.

Mazz posted:

gently caress subs forever though. The fact I can do nothing to them when the game winds down to just us is kinda ridiculous. Does HE hurt them under water? And/or does it have better splash when they surface? I can't get a good direct hit salvo in even with a good grouping and aim.

Subs are a pain in the rear end to be sure, They are tiny and difficult to hit with guns. But they are slow and nearly blind while underwater. Just remember to keep moving and that will help out quite a bit. Almost all the BB's I sank with my sub were sunk because they weren't moving it all, allowing me to putter up to them underwater at my 16 kt max speed and hit them with a spread at point blank range.

If you stay moving, you'll be very difficult to sneak up on undetected since I can't ever hope to keep up with a BB while underwater.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 26, 2015

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Subs are a pain in the rear end to be sure, They are tiny and difficult to hit with guns.

Hah! Not my amazing IJN underwater behemoth! The fact that I can still 'sneak' up on people in an I-14 (larger than some cruisers) and fill their worthless cans with torps is proof if it were needed of how little the average player pays attention. One awake destroyer on the opposite team and my whale is deadmeat. Thankfully that's a rare event.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It was mostly just a string of bad games against a very good sub killing my whole team and then another where I killed 4 people on our cap at close to medium range in the Wyoming only to spend the next 9 minutes evading two subs with no recourse. Hopefully the Nevada has a better top speed and it'll get less lovely.

And yes I'm MazzSAE.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Trip Report:

Repulse OWNS.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stanley Pain posted:

Trip Report:

Repulse OWNS.

I only got to play it a bit, but it felt like the guns were deflecting off of BBs a lot more than I'd have expected. And it's a good bit harder to dunk a smaller ship with less shells saturating the area. Still fun as hell, though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Night10194 posted:

I only got to play it a bit, but it felt like the guns were deflecting off of BBs a lot more than I'd have expected. And it's a good bit harder to dunk a smaller ship with less shells saturating the area. Still fun as hell, though.

It's very good but honestly pretty even with the rest of the Tier V BBs. The shells hit hard but you fire only six, and they aren't super accurate, so shooting at DDs or CLs is harder then with some of the others. Considering how like 95% of T5+ games are decided by spotting, its a pretty important trait.

Also, how do I play with goons? Do people occupy the mumble for this?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I finished the Furutaka and bought an Agano. My very first match was exactly what I had been hoping for - the agano is like a powerful destroyer. Fast, turns well and makes subs cry. Over 4200 exp with the stock ship in it's first battle - god it's so good to be out of the Furutaka.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ratzap posted:

I finished the Furutaka and bought an Agano. My very first match was exactly what I had been hoping for - the agano is like a powerful destroyer. Fast, turns well and makes subs cry. Over 4200 exp with the stock ship in it's first battle - god it's so good to be out of the Furutaka.

I kinda wish I went for the Agano. The Aoba isn't as awkward as the Furutaka, but it has the same number of guns and isn't great at fighting destroyers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I kinda wish I went for the Agano. The Aoba isn't as awkward as the Furutaka, but it has the same number of guns and isn't great at fighting destroyers.

The agano's kinda awkward, too. It has slow-firing guns but can't snipe at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Panzeh posted:

The agano's kinda awkward, too. It has slow-firing guns but can't snipe at all.

That's why I picked it. I don't like the BB style snipe mode. Destroyer zoom mode suits me better and of course depth charges.

• Locked thread