Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

ImpAtom posted:

Basically the big coincidence was the Falcon (which is pure coincidence) and Maz having the saber (which is easily justified with The Force Willed It.)

Unkar Plutt is tied to whoever left Rey on Jakku. I highly doubt the tarped over Falcon was there by coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I've heard rumors that Rey and Finn have sweaty interracial sex in the next one. Is the force onto something new here?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Immortan posted:

I've heard rumors that Rey and Finn have sweaty interracial sex in the next one. Is the force onto something new here?

Fornication, miscegenation, homosexuality, the dark side are they.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Immortan posted:

No, just the usual retelling of the tales of Greek heroes.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Immortan posted:

Instead of chosing between the dark side and the light side, their children will have to choose between mayo and hot sauce

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Maz having Luke's lightsaber isn't an impossible coincidence if she is a trusted friend of both Han and Luke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viller posted:

Unkar Plutt is tied to whoever left Rey on Jakku. I highly doubt the tarped over Falcon was there by coincidence.

Unkar stole it from someone who stole it from someone else who stole it from Han. At least as describe in-film that's a coincidence unless Han was lying about that. Which wouldn't make a lot of sense since Han was on the Falcon and claimed he'd been looking for it for ages.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

computer parts posted:

Yeah, Zach Snyder isn't known for subverting audience expectations.

Honestly, I was just picking a big name director at random. But there's a difference between subverting audience expectations to do a joke or a quip and subverting audience expectations multiple times to set up something tonally totally different and character-informing.

Like, check this out; both the Original Trilogy and Force Awakens feature a black-clad masked antagonist with a mysterious past. And structurally, Kylo Ren's arc in TFA tracks very closely to a compressed version of Vader's arc in ANH and ESB. The traditional method for handling a villain like Ren would be to tease elements of his identity in a series of small reveals, the way they did with Vader; show that his past ties into the past of the protagonist's, show a partial reveal of what's underneath the mask, leading up to the big finale reveal of ESB. That worked really well in Empire, but look at what TFA did instead; they casually revealed Kylo Ren's origin in what's very nearly a throw-away line early in the second act, and have him pull off the mask at the mid-point of the film. Multiple times they subvert expectations not to reveal a twist, but to reveal the lack of a twist, and to establish intimacy.

To follow the pattern; if Ren's paternity corresponds to Obi Wan telling Luke that Vader killed his father, and taking off the mask corresponds to the shot of the back of Vader's head in the meditation chamber, then the "I am your Father" moment in TFA would be Han and Ren on the walkways. The most immediate and obvious (and dumb) corresponding version of that structural beat would have been to cloak Ren's identity in mystery up to this point and have Han do a variation of "Ren, I am your father." Instead, Han shouts "Ben!" revealing a piece of information we didn't even know needed to be revealed. That's really interesting, and it works really well, and it works the way it does only because the audience is already familiar with all these elements arranged in a different way in the previous films. it was a visceral gut punch. In the theater I was in, that line got gasps louder than Han's death did.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Frackie Robinson posted:

So did Finn end up in a coma just so he can be our surrogate asking a bunch of questions after the time jump to the beginning of ep 8?

I wouldn't be surprised if he wakes up 5 years later and Rey and Luke are ruling the galaxy with an iron fist, and the only hope for the galaxy is for him to help washout loser Kylo Ren rediscover his mojo and take down the Jedi despots.

Star Wars Episode 8: Directed by Hideo Kojima.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So maybe someone here can clarify this: wtf was going on in that movie?

There is the First Order headed by space Hitler - who ranted about the Republic or Senate harboring the "Resistance" and that they were fighting disorder. Wtf is the Republic and Resistance and Rebellion now? Does the Republic not have a military except for some random paramilitary terrorists? Yeah and there's an evil space wizard too but that makes sense.

All EU stuff aside, it looked like the rebellion won the war in the last movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

So did Finn end up in a coma just so he can be our surrogate asking a bunch of questions after the time jump to the beginning of ep 8?

I wouldn't be surprised if he wakes up 5 years later and Rey and Luke are ruling the galaxy with an iron fist, and the only hope for the galaxy is for him to help washout loser Kylo Ren rediscover his mojo and take down the Jedi despots.

Star Wars 3.0: The Force (Doesn't) Awaken

In all honesty I'm pretty sure Finn is coma'd so that there is a reason to split him and Rey up since otherwise he'd just come along when she goes to meet Luke.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
TFA is gonna break 500 million domestically this weekend, a full 7 days faster than the current record holder Jurassic World.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

TFA is gonna break 500 million domestically this weekend, a full 7 days faster than the current record holder Jurassic World.

Nuke Hollywood 'til it glows.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nuke Hollywood 'til it glows.

gently caress that, TFA did everything right where JW did wrong. It deserves it over that or Avengers.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

There is the First Order headed by space Hitler - who ranted about the Republic or Senate harboring the "Resistance" and that they were fighting disorder. Wtf is the Republic and Resistance and Rebellion now? Does the Republic not have a military except for some random paramilitary terrorists? Yeah and there's an evil space wizard too but that makes sense.

My interpretation was that the First Order are a localized Imperial remnant, who aren't a serious threat beyond the systems they control (since the Republic doesn't know about Starkiller Base). So the Republic finances the Resistance, who would be a local remnant of the Rebel Alliance who became a militia force, like the lawmen of the old west. The Republic wants the First Order dealt with, but not enough to commit their own forces; what we're seeing in TFA isn't some grand galactic conflict, it's a bush war.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ImpAtom posted:

Unkar stole it from someone who stole it from someone else who stole it from Han. At least as describe in-film that's a coincidence unless Han was lying about that. Which wouldn't make a lot of sense since Han was on the Falcon and claimed he'd been looking for it for ages.

Lke R2 and the Sword of Skywalker, the Falcon is a vergence in the Force. It goes where it is needed to be.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ImpAtom posted:

Star Wars 3.0: The Force (Doesn't) Awaken

In all honesty I'm pretty sure Finn is coma'd so that there is a reason to split him and Rey up since otherwise he'd just come along when she goes to meet Luke.

Seems like they could have accomplished that by just saying he needed hospital rest or something. That's kind of an issue with this movie, it always goes huge with the stakes when small would have functioned just the same.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Finn and Rey making kissy would (sadly) actually be mildly "risky" if we want to get back into that.

Edit: Although Finn and Kylo would be better on every level.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mark Hamill got 0.25% of the profit from A New Hope. I wonder what he negotiated this time around.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Delthalaz posted:

It did, but it seems the empire was resilient enough not to completely fall apart when the emperor was gone. I'm picturing the galaxy going through something like this after his death:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

The Rebellion defeated the Empire. After Palpatine's death about half the worlds in the old Galactic Republic reestablished the senate and the Republic. The other half the galaxy was controlled by Imperial factions and, basically, descended into feudal warlordism. About 30 years before the new movie, the Battle of Jakku, fought between the newly formed Republic and the dying remnants of the Empire broke the back of the last alliance of imperial warlords and established a tentative peace treaty between the two sides, in which a war weary Republic agreed to step down from a war footing if the remaining Imperial warlords agreed to keep their (generally lovely) planets for themselves and not invade into Republic space.

Then, some number of years later, a new ideology arises in the broken old Imperial planets and spreads like wildfire among the younger generation, promising a return to strength, order, purity, and all the other old fascist crap, and the new young ideological movement quickly seizes a lot of territory faster than anyone expected. The Republic is big and powerful, but doesn't want to commit its sons and daughters en masse to this obvious quagmire hell-hole of a war, so instead they quietly arm local resistance leaders within New Order space and send in special forces operatives like Poe and Leia to "advise" the local troops and provide air space support.

And then the movie happens.

TL:DR: The Republic is Space-America, the New Order is Space-ISIS, the Resistance is the Space-Kurds.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Frackie Robinson posted:

Seems like they could have accomplished that by just saying he needed hospital rest or something. That's kind of an issue with this movie, it always goes huge with the stakes when small would have functioned just the same.
I feel like if Finn was awake the audience would have expected a parting kiss or romantic moment or something between them, and the filmmakers obviously want to stretch out that character arc longer than that, so they sidestepped the issue.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DStecks posted:

My interpretation was that the First Order are a localized Imperial remnant, who aren't a serious threat beyond the systems they control (since the Republic doesn't know about Starkiller Base). So the Republic finances the Resistance, who would be a local remnant of the Rebel Alliance who became a militia force, like the lawmen of the old west. The Republic wants the First Order dealt with, but not enough to commit their own forces; what we're seeing in TFA isn't some grand galactic conflict, it's a bush war.

A Bush War that epically blew up in their faces.

Man, the Republic is going to want to wipe out the First Order. It's going to be a Galactic Pearl Harbor.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Mark Hamill got 0.25% of the profit from A New Hope. I wonder what he negotiated this time around.

Word is he straight-up got seven figures for TFA, which I have to think breaks some kind dollars-per-screentime record.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lizardman posted:

Word is he straight-up got seven figures for TFA, which I have to think breaks some kind dollars-per-screentime record.

To be fair he had to train and get back into shape and such so it wasn't like he just showed up on set for a day.

Still, "get paid to have Disney dudes get you back into shape" is arguably sweeter than "get paid to come in for a day."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I can't count yeah in the millions probably makes sense

Part of that is probably him having to get himself in shape as a part of that contract. Which costs money/time to do it as quickly as they need him to do.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 26, 2015

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

lizardman posted:

It would have to.

Christ, if he DID get 0.25% percent and NOTHING else, with the marketing and production budget subtracted he'd still have made over one and a quarter million. Over a freaking week. Divide by screen time ... whoops, null set.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

lizardman posted:

Brando got something like 1.4 million dollars per minute of screentime from Superman, so that's probably still the (inflation adjusted) record, if only barely.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

porfiria posted:

Finn and Rey making kissy would (sadly) actually be mildly "risky" if we want to get back into that.

Edit: Although Finn and Kylo Poe would be better on every level.
:colbert:

This loving movie is going to turn me in an idiot tumblrina if I'm not careful. They did a good job casting leads who all had really good chemistry together, the scenes where Finn freaks out after Kylo gets hold of Rey could have been so terrible and awkward if people didn't actually buy him caring that much about her that fast.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair he had to train and get back into shape and such so it wasn't like he just showed up on set for a day.

Still, "get paid to have Disney dudes get you back into shape" is arguably sweeter than "get paid to come in for a day."

He looks good as the Trickster in the Flash

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A few more things about the First Order.

"The aftermath of Endor and Jakku reduced the once-mighty Galactic Empire to a rump state hemmed in by strict disarmament treaties and punishing reparations. Unbeknownst to the New Republic, however, many former high-ranking Imperials retreated into the galaxy’s Unknown Regions, which had been secretly colonized by the Empire during the time of the Galactic Civil War. Rebuilding the Imperial Military in secret, this Imperial Remnant faction became the First Order."

The First Order is also mostly made up of new blood. Hux for example was born after the Emperor died and grew up in the unknown regions on stories of how the Empire was awesome and the Republic sucks. According to the novelization, the First Order genuinely believes the New Republic is an anarchic hellhole which is on the verge of collapse at any moment, that they were driven to the dark of the universe by terrorists, and that the New Republic is using every method possible to destroy them, from levying harsh reparations to funding the Resistance. Pretty much the First Order is a bunch of fanatic zealots that worship the Empire.

Unlike with the Empire the Destruction of Starkiller Base would be a massive massive blow to the First Order as they have less resources and manpower then the Empire did.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

ImpAtom posted:

Rey told Han what happened after the first guy who stole it(Ducaine->someone->Unkar Plutt). So it could all be made up poo poo from Unkar Plutt, or whoever dropped off Rey.
I'm starting to think that vision Rey gets kinda points to Ben Solo dropping her off. He does show through the movie that hes capable of playing with people's minds
more than we've seen in the past movies and hes conflicted with the light throughout. Wich would kinda tie in to why Snoke doubts that he can kill off Han Solo.

I still want to believe its some Luke grand plan for when his daughter is ready though.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

You're missing the part where the First Order already killed that planet. When we first see it is lush and bearing life. By the time the Starkiller is almost charged it has become a frozen hellhole.

What the gently caress are you talking about? This never happened? It was always a frozen hellhole. The forest planet Maz was on was a completely different planet than starkiller base.

How are people so bad at watching movies?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Thanks guys who answered my question about WTF was going on . Now I think it makes more sense, but then what got blown up by the star killer super Death Star? They said they blew up the Republic didn't they?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes. The New Republic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

D-Pad posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? This never happened? It was always a frozen hellhole. The forest planet Maz was on was a completely different planet than starkiller base.

How are people so bad at watching movies?

Perhaps you should actually pay attention to the film before you go flip out like this.

The Starkiller planet is green when we first see it during the initial firing. With the sun dying it becomes a frozen hellhole. This is why there are still green trees when they land there, they're just covered by tons of ice.

Like seriously a major climactic fight in the episode takes place in the ice-covered forest. The planet isn't Hoth.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 26, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ImpAtom posted:

Perhaps you should actually pay attention to the film before you go flip out like this.

The Starkiller planet is green when we first see it during Hux's speech. With the sun dying it becomes a frozen hellhole. This is why there are still green trees when they land there, they're just covered by tons of ice.

No it wasn't.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea pretty sure the planet was never green, it just is more like winter Scandinavian country or something than Antarctica like hoth. Evergreens and stuff like that, but snowed in the entire time. The super lush world was where Maz was at, but Hux and the starkiller base were never there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

[quote="CelticPredator" post="454261640
[/quote]

Yes it was. Look at the shot of Starkiller Base firing. The leaves on the trees are entirely green and free of ice. Their base is in the mountains but the planet itself is covered with ice when it clearly wasn't before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Do all planets in Star Wars have only one planetwide biome and a static climate?

• Locked thread