Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

I'm of the opinion that Apple's thinking "the iMac is enough" and with their pro-consumer bent these days, they're not going to pour much into Mac Pro development anymore.

Look at the poor Mini, they actually neutered the latest models by withholding quad-core CPUs and dedicated GPUs from their hardware.

That's definitely possible. Maybe Apple's ideal 100% retina, perfectly curated future is just MacBooks/iMacs on the PC front and iOS devices on the low end. Everything with a built-in Apple-approved screen except the ATV and iPod Shuffle.

I'm still holding out hope for a teeny tiny, maybe fanless Mac Mini that at least attempts to justify the ultrabook guts with a new chassis. Based on the supply chain, there are a few reasonable explanations as to why such a product would still be delayed. Not that I'd have any need for something like this, mind you. I just want my hunch to be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

ufarn posted:

If you need to manually replace the battery in an MBA '12 outside warranty and everything, is this the best battery for the job?

EDIT: Welp, looks like it isn't available on Amazon.co.uk.
EDIT: There's this one from iFixit, though.

Definitely check the price at the Apple store. I was in your same shoes with my wife's 2011 Air, and the Apple store was withing $30 of buying a battery and replacing it myself. The reviews on just about every battery are super mixed, and for $30 it wasn't worth troubleshooting my wife's computer when the battery poo poo the bed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That's definitely possible. Maybe Apple's ideal 100% retina, perfectly curated future is just MacBooks/iMacs on the PC front and iOS devices on the low end. Everything with a built-in Apple-approved screen except the ATV and iPod Shuffle.

I'm still holding out hope for a teeny tiny, maybe fanless Mac Mini that at least attempts to justify the ultrabook guts with a new chassis. Based on the supply chain, there are a few reasonable explanations as to why such a product would still be delayed. Not that I'd have any need for something like this, mind you. I just want my hunch to be right.

Yeah, I think the Mac Mini, assuming it sticks around, will eventually be the Retina MacBook's guts in an AppleTV-sized puck.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Just take it in to the Fruit Stand, they have a model-specific diagnostic that will conclusively establish whether or not you need a new logic board. The flaky GPU in those models has been responsible for all kinds of mayhem similar to what you experienced.
Speaking of, my rMBP went out again yesterday for another repeat repair for graphics issues. At this point if it still manifests issues I'm pushing for a new one.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If you switch out a logic board and a display assembly and STILL can't get rid of video issues, you are either very unlucky or whomever's fixing the thing is very incompetent.

Falco posted:

Definitely check the price at the Apple store. I was in your same shoes with my wife's 2011 Air, and the Apple store was withing $30 of buying a battery and replacing it myself. The reviews on just about every battery are super mixed, and for $30 it wasn't worth troubleshooting my wife's computer when the battery poo poo the bed.

Also, Apple will give you a 90 day warranty with that new battery they install. The warranty from a third party on a third party battery sure as heck isn't going to be honored by a local Fruit Stand.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 23, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Speaking of, my rMBP went out again yesterday for another repeat repair for graphics issues. At this point if it still manifests issues I'm pushing for a new one.

poo poo, dude. Now I'm scared. I think you and I might have the same model generation, and I purchased mine through the refurb store as well. What should I be looking out for?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

LmaoTheKid posted:

Just got my bonus at work. The wait for a skylake 12" macbook is gonna be painful.

Not as painful as using it!

If they turn the Air into the budget model or something and put all the cool new stuff in the USBBook I'm gonna cry

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The 27" iMac already makes a strong case for itself as the "prosumer's Mac" though, and it's done that for at least a few years- long before the Mac Pro switch.
It's arguably been like that to an extent since the switch to Intel/Xeons and price hike. Increasingly so of course as the iMac parts have gotten faster while the Mac Pro updates have stagnated.

quote:

I think what's really killed the trashcan Pro's momentum is Apple's refusal to incrementally update it (possibly due to margins, possibly due to a desire not to alienate people further until Thunderbolt/USB C stop changing every year and/or Xeon issues).

On the one hand, people would've rightly been mad about a Thunderbolt 1-2-3 progression year-after-year or frustrated with little more than a series of meaningless processor bumps.

But supplier/industry circumstances aside, Apple's stasis gives the industry no incentive to continue adopting or bringing down the cost of Thunderbolt. Why even consider making a Thunderbolt 3-capable peripheral at all when the flagship Thunderbolt workstation shows no signs of moving from gen 1, almost three years since it went on sale?
Meaningless clarification on the TB timeline off the top of my head:
TB1: 2011, TB2 (Mac Pro): late 2013 (barely 2013), TB3: looking like barely 2015. There's been some stuff announced but I think they're set to ship late December.

I'm slightly hopeful about TB3 just cause Intel seems to be attempting to hijack host side USB-C while it's still in its infancy. Not that I expect a bunch of peripherals still cause USB by itself is or will be realistically good enough for a lot of stuff, but for stuff that does need TB they'll hopefully be less ridiculously priced.

But yeah some updates would be nice. Crappy to buy one when you know the hardware is already generation behind or when another generation is coming up.

Binary Badger posted:

Look at the poor Mini, they actually neutered the latest models by withholding quad-core CPUs and dedicated GPUs from their hardware.
They took out the discrete GPUs (well the one GPU model they had) with the 2012 models. Pulling the quads sucked for higher end uses, but my cheap rear end is mostly annoyed by soldered RAM and making the drive less accessible (or alternatively, annoyed by the crappy stock specs and upgrade prices).

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, I think the Mac Mini, assuming it sticks around, will eventually be the Retina MacBook's guts in an AppleTV-sized puck.
My hope has been that the AppleTV becoming a software platform kills the desire to turn the Mac mini into the same thing (tiny puck/box) from a design standpoint. Or just something with sufficient ventilation/quiet cooling that doesn't drive me nuts under load.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone got any tips for connecting a third party microphone to a late-gen Macbook Pro?

The Macbook only has a single headphone minijack plug. If you plug in an original Apple iPhone earbud/mic combo it works fine, anything else doesn't. I've noticed that the plug is a four-ring 3.5mm plug. Does an adapter exist?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It exists:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-com-3-5mm-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B004SP0WAQ

I assume Amazon.com / Monoprice has something similar.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ugh so i installed an ssd in my 2012 mbp and now its hanging on EVERYTHING. beach balls everywhere. Anyone know what's happening ?!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Which brand SSD?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crucial 500gb MX200

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've enabled trim and now I'm gonna try to install new firmware. This is a disaster. The MacBook is essentially unusable in its current state.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Reset PRAM, updated firmware on the drive, still no luck. Ugh

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that the era of the dodgy SATA flex?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It could well be. Where do I go about ordering a new one?

It seemed to be working fine with my HDD though.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
What is the easiest way to format a hard drive on a late 2013 macbook pro that had a cup of water dumped on it and no longer boots, but the hard drive is still good and data has been pulled off of it by a computer repair shop. Yes, I know I should have had the shop do it but I was out of town and it was my wife's pc and she handled everything so it didnt get done. Going to sell it on ebay so I want to clean the drive first.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It could well be. Where do I go about ordering a new one?

It seemed to be working fine with my HDD though.

Definitely the cable. Something probably happened to it while you were swapping out drives. Those cables are so goddamn lovely. I think ifixit and pbmedic both have them for ok prices. You can probably find cheaper but you never know what you're gonna get... Not worth it for a few bucks savings IMO.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

greasyhands posted:

What is the easiest way to format a hard drive on a late 2013 macbook pro that had a cup of water dumped on it and no longer boots, but the hard drive is still good and data has been pulled off of it by a computer repair shop. Yes, I know I should have had the shop do it but I was out of town and it was my wife's pc and she handled everything so it didnt get done. Going to sell it on ebay so I want to clean the drive first.

SATA drive? Get a USB-SATA adapter at pretty much any computer store, they should be like 10-20 bucks. Nice thing to have kickin' around anyway.

If you have a friend that built their own desktop computer so they know what they're doing, they could also just plug in the drive into their machine.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

poo poo, dude. Now I'm scared. I think you and I might have the same model generation, and I purchased mine through the refurb store as well. What should I be looking out for?
I have several videos I can upload to YouTube later. What's disappointing is that they just did a logic board swap and the time before that was the display assembly, so I don't know if it's a power issue of some sort or what.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I have several videos I can upload to YouTube later. What's disappointing is that they just did a logic board swap and the time before that was the display assembly, so I don't know if it's a power issue of some sort or what.

Could be even a bad MagSafe board, tbh.

Not all AASP's / Fruit Stands are equal; everything you keep saying keeps screaming in a little voice to me that either someone's not following ESD guidelines, is super ham handed, didn't get the LVDS cable in right, or you are just unlucky.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Not all AASP's / Fruit Stands are equal; everything you keep saying keeps screaming in a little voice to me that either someone's not following ESD guidelines, is super ham handed, didn't get the LVDS cable in right, or you are just unlucky.
Yeah, I dunno. Each repair has been a depot repair where the Store sends it out to their service center. I think it's been going back and forth from Texas or something.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, I dunno. Each repair has been a depot repair where the Store sends it out to their service center. I think it's been going back and forth from Texas or something.

Hm, well, that's different, and strange also, because I know they test the hell out of any depot repair before they let it leave.

Some retail locations do nothing but ship out except for the most basic tasks.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Pivo posted:

SATA drive? Get a USB-SATA adapter at pretty much any computer store, they should be like 10-20 bucks. Nice thing to have kickin' around anyway.

If you have a friend that built their own desktop computer so they know what they're doing, they could also just plug in the drive into their machine.

Im pretty sure the ssd's in a macbook pro are not sata, wasnt sure if they had proprietary interfaces since, as far as i know, no one has worked out how to sell upgrade ssds for late 2013 macbook pros and newer.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

greasyhands posted:

Im pretty sure the ssd's in a macbook pro are not sata, wasnt sure if they had proprietary interfaces since, as far as i know, no one has worked out how to sell upgrade ssds for late 2013 macbook pros and newer.

Oh, I assumed it was a spinning platter drive, didn't look at the date. If it's the proprietary SSD, enclosures do exist: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCI/ But personally I would take it to an AASP and ask them kindly to do it for you instead of throwing down for an enclosure.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 23, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

Definitely the cable. Something probably happened to it while you were swapping out drives. Those cables are so goddamn lovely. I think ifixit and pbmedic both have them for ok prices. You can probably find cheaper but you never know what you're gonna get... Not worth it for a few bucks savings IMO.

I put the old HDD back in and it works perfectly. Is it still possible its the SATA cable??

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did you do a clean install onto the SSD from a USB stick / Internet recovery, or was it a clone from the HDD?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Did you do a clean install onto the SSD from a USB stick / Internet recovery, or was it a clone from the HDD?

totally clean install

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The install also took AGES, like 7 hours.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you have another machine the SSD could go into? It sounds like it's hosed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat I literally just got it 😔

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

greasyhands posted:

If it's a late 2013 -RETINA- MBP and it's the proprietary SSD, shove it into another rMBP of the same vintage or later, boot off a bootable USB Drive, and run Disk Utility to wipe it. Or boot into Internet Recovery and run Disk Utility from there.

If you don't have one handy or know somebody who does, but at least have an available Mac, you could buy this or something similar, mount it as an external USB and wipe it from there.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

If it's a late 2013 -RETINA- MBP and it's the proprietary SSD, shove it into another rMBP of the same vintage or later, boot off a bootable USB Drive, and run Disk Utility to wipe it. Or boot into Internet Recovery and run Disk Utility from there.

If you don't have one handy or know somebody who does, but at least have an available Mac, you could buy this or something similar, mount it as an external USB and wipe it from there.

greasyhands, if you have access to a desktop PC or Mac Pro, there's some interesting cheaper alternatives that showed up in Amazon's "people also bought" links for me when I clicked Badger's link:

This should work in very recent PC motherboards that have a PCIe M.2 SSD socket. The product photo shows some really horrible soldering quality, though.

This one should work in any open x4 PCIe slot in a Mac or PC.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

It exists:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-com-3-5mm-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B004SP0WAQ

I assume Amazon.com / Monoprice has something similar.

I ended up getting it to work with this one: link

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

drat I literally just got it 😔

Pretty much everyone I know has gotten a bad SSD once (exactly once!) in the past few years. I can't believe it didn't even occur to me.

On the plus side, better a free exchange than having to buy a cable!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Hm, well, that's different, and strange also, because I know they test the hell out of any depot repair before they let it leave.

Some retail locations do nothing but ship out except for the most basic tasks.
Net result: another logic board and display assembly. At least it was an amazingly fast turnaround for a holiday week. Plus the Fruit Stand was open at 8AM so I could get there while the mall and Store were still a ghost town.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Net result: another logic board and display assembly. At least it was an amazingly fast turnaround for a holiday week. Plus the Fruit Stand was open at 8AM so I could get there while the mall and Store were still a ghost town.

Warehouse repairs have super fast turn arounds. I had to do it three times before they issued a replacement, but each time only took 3 business days, including the day I dropped my laptop off at the Apple Store. It usually only takes one day for the repair and they use Next Day when shipping it both ways.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hey thread! I'm currently rocking a 2009 macbook pro, and it's still going strong. However, I'm thinking of upgrading to something with a crispier display at the beginning of the year. I have a couple of quick questions.

Any reason not to upgrade via the refurbished store? The price for what I want (15inch retina, 16 gig, 256 to 512gb SSD) is so much cheaper than new. Also is there any real important difference between 2014 and 2015 years? I am a writer as my primary day job, (This includes photo shop) though in the coming year I may be doing some 4k video editing as well.

Will the refurb keyboard feel like it's been used a lot, or do they slap a fresh one on them? Also, I'm looking at maybe grabbing a 4k monitor. At this point is it easy to just pug and play with either of those macbook pros? Or would I have to get the 2015? Also, what's the battery life difference between the 2014 and 2015?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Binary Badger posted:

The higher-end Mac Mini's have a Intel Iris GPU which give near-dedicated GPU Performance.

Granted, consumers and business alike should expect Intel's latest chips and it's unfortunate Skylake isn't readily available in the entire Apple PC lineup but it's still a very capable machine.