Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That's rough. All I had to deal with was getting snowed in for Thanksgiving. Came in on the front of the storm, left a week later just when stuff was thawing, and they got half an inch of ice from freezing rain just after I left.

Stay safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 8 - There Are Many Things Happening Right Now

also, thread friend Battle Cattle drew me a really cute thing on twitter and you should all check it out :3:

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 11, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Between the email from his wife and the descriptions for stuff like the Toxic Toadstool, I'm feeling better about Olimar now. :unsmith:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Glad ya like it!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The fan art is really cute, and honestly I could watch a half hour or more of you two just dinking around in the Piklopedia and discovering things. Something about Faerie Fortune's joy when she finds something interesting is infectious.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I wonder who did the Japanese-English translation for this game. They did a great job.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Samovar posted:

I wonder who did the Japanese-English translation for this game. They did a great job.

Wikipedia and the Pikmin wiki are tight-lipped but as a first party Nintendo IP it would presumably be Treehouse. They pretty consistently do good work, yeah.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 9 - Lets Kill Flowey

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Since you reached 3000 pokos, you reached the start of the new set of end-of-day mails, and missed out on some! As promised, here's the full set

Pikmin Wiki posted:

President
You found your first bit of treasure. Fine work! Our future depends on your efforts, so check your treasure hoard regularly. I'll check in often. Keep up the pace!
President
Baby steps first, Olimar! Plan well, and don't worry about me. Our debt is with Happy Hocotate Savings & Loan, after all. Besides, there's nothing left to repossess, so HA!
President
How's progress, Olimar? Remember, you'll never get anything done if you sit back and watch from afar. Be sure to hold R occasionally for a close-up view of the action.
Olimar's wife
My dearest dear...how are you? Your boss gave me this space e-mail account and told me all about your business trip. Just remember: you have a family to think about!
President
Louie: It's been three months since you joined our company, and I'm sure you love it. I expect big things from you, Louie. Far bigger things than I expect from Olimar!
Olimar's son
Papa! No fair! No fair! You snuck off and went on an expedition without me! You have to promise to absolutely, positively take me next time! Say it! Say you PROOOOOMISE!
President
Olimar! I see that you're making notes in the treasure hoard. This is no scientific jaunt! It's business! Which is why the ship is writing sales pitches for your finds.
Olimar's daughter
Dear Papa... How are you? I am fine. But Mommy is very, very mad at you. Please don't make Mommy mad! Pretty please with sugar?
President
I wonder where we'd be now if I hadn't been so stingy and purchased space insurance... But the route Louie took was always a safe shipping lane...
President
You know, Olimar, I've been in this business for over 50 years, and I've never heard of space bunnies in that shipping lane. I have some doubts about Louie's accident...
Olimar's son
Papa! There's this girl at school who's kind of nice, and I've been bragging all about you to her. So, I need you to bring me back the coolest souvenir ever!
President
Yet another lonely day at the office. I have nothing to do here, so I'm just counting the hairs on my head. Like my employees, I have precious few left...

While the piklopedia and treasure list give characterization to Olimar and Louie, most all of the other characterization is in the mails. Once you've seen all the messages, it repeats the last one in the set on all later days until you reach the new threshold.

Also, the Pikmin wiki lists the credits for Pikmin 2 and says 5 people worked on the North American localization, and some quick seaches turn them up as each localizing a ton of Mario games so yeah, I'm pretty sure they're all part of Treehouse.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh my god the emails from his kids :3: I'm vaguely curious if his family has names in any version of the game or the inevitable supplementary material.

Clearly your avatar needs to be Olimar, with Samus' helmet instead of his own yeah you're not actually playing that game but it would be funny, and with Link's hat on top of it all. :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh man time dilation talk, I know this stuff. Are we going to wonder about length contraction and relativistic momentum next? :allears:

I've never heard the theory that Pikmin's Earth is post-apocalyptic. Seems a little too dark for this series. I don't have any proof to back this up, but I always imagined that the way to explain the changes between games was that humans are definitely still around and you're probably just wandering around in someone's garden that they're actively planting. This explains the sudden flower pots and stone walls that appeared in the forest all of a sudden. Remember, Olimar and the Pikmin are like, inches tall at most.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

FPzero posted:

Oh man time dilation talk, I know this stuff. Are we going to wonder about length contraction and relativistic momentum next? :allears:

I've never heard the theory that Pikmin's Earth is post-apocalyptic. Seems a little too dark for this series. I don't have any proof to back this up, but I always imagined that the way to explain the changes between games was that humans are definitely still around and you're probably just wandering around in someone's garden that they're actively planting. This explains the sudden flower pots and stone walls that appeared in the forest all of a sudden. Remember, Olimar and the Pikmin are like, inches tall at most.

I can see you've never played Pikmin 3.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've definitely played and beaten Pikmin 3 but I don't remember any post-apocalyptic undertones. It has been a while since I last played it though so maybe I'm forgetting something. We'll see when Fae gets to Pikmin 3 I suppose!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Nintendo has confirmed that this really is Earth, but about 250 million years in the future.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah, it isn't really a spoiler to say it at this point, because we've seen most of the in-game evidence already. Pikmin 2 has most of the evidence: All these remains are real-life human-made items that could not exist except on Earth, we find some globes, and, most tellingly, humans are very clearly gone. It isn't clear how exactly it happened, but this is definitely a future Earth, after some kind of extinction-level event.

The popular theory is that the Pikmin world ended in nuclear fire, because there isn't anything in the entire series larger than a really small dog, and well over half of the enemies in the game are bugs. Bulborbs are basically mutant gerbils, and the pikmin are a completely new kind of life defying modern understandings of the categories of life (which we talked about a lot in the last game, whether pikmin are more plantoid or fungoid or animal in nature). But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how Earth came to be like this. What matters is that it did, and we're here now, and those bottlecaps are worth 100 pokos each, so we need to nab 'em.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

They could've just packed up and left.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Yeah, I always figured humanity just packed up and left. We hit space travel and booked it the hell out of there.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm also not sure why someone would think it was too dark for Nintendo given that Splatoon has the explicit extinction of nearly all land life in its backstory as well, but is much more blatant about it despite being even more goofy and cheerful.

Though I agree that it's entirely possible humanity left or evolved into energy beings or something here. It doesn't matter, really: either way, they're all gone now.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 17, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

FPzero posted:

I've never heard the theory that Pikmin's Earth is post-apocalyptic.

That's weird, because almost every single conversation or thread I've seen/heard/read about Pikmin has mentioned that it's a post-apocalyptic Earth. Like, since the very first game came out. :shrug:

Edit: Heck, even the wikipedia entry for the game backs that up. Look at the bottom of the page:

quote:

Categories: New Play Control! games; 2001 video games; Fiction with alternate endings; Interactive Achievement Award winners; Nintendo GameCube games; Pikmin; Wii games; Post-apocalyptic video games; Strategy video games

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 17, 2015

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Geostomp posted:

I'm also not sure why someone would think it was too dark for Nintendo given that Splatoon has the explicit extinction of nearly all land life in its backstory as well, but is much more blatant about it despite being even more goofy and cheerful.

Nintendo's always had a... unique view of the post-apocalypse.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Humanity went to the farm on vacation. There's loads of fields where they can frolic and play, and nothing sad ever happens there. It's a happiness farm. They won't be back for a long time, though.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
In Kirby 64, Shiver Star, the ice planet, is Earth. When does Kirby 64 happen in the Pikmin timeline?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not knowing that this was a post-apocalyptic setting, I just assumed you were exploring like, a thirty foot environment whenever you touched down in a new area.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Cheez posted:

In Kirby 64, Shiver Star, the ice planet, is Earth. When does Kirby 64 happen in the Pikmin timeline?

Kirby 64, Pikmin, Splatoon.

Very simple.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Pyroi posted:

Kirby 64, Pikmin, Splatoon.

Very simple.

I would've had it as Pikmin (things are largely as if we just left), Kirby (Ice age) and then Splatoon (ice age over, water everywhere). :colbert:

I want this to be the new Zelda timeline fuckery.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
The only thing I'm wondering about then is where those flower pots came from. Were they always there? Who planted them?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Where does Pikmin fit in the zelda timeline? I must know.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Pikmin only get left behind in a cave if they're left buried in the ground. You don't need to go around and make sure they're all in a squad.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 10 - I'm Onto You

wherein I am reunited with an old foe

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Sniiitchbugs!

Oh man you'll have plenty of time to hit both caves. I can't wait for Fae to be re-united with another old friend if she goes to the caves.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That was some really quick non-panicked lifeguarding! I thought it was all over! You had some really good pikmin control today in general. The only slip was that those few mandiblards (great name) you defeated at the end chomped a few of your pikmin as they were carrying things home offscreen but that was very minor.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
The good news is that all the animals on Neo-Earth are perfectly amicable vegetarians.

The bad news is that all the animals on Neo-Earth are perfectly amicable vegetarians.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 11 - Donnie

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

You just reminded me of Kaubocks & Panzer Skank's wonderful LP of that game.

EDIT: I tried GMing once. I didn't feel I did a great job, and looking back, I totally ended up making the GMPC who was supposed to fill in the role nobody else took (rogue) and ended up making them far too prepared tor everything. Then again, I had to keep the party from dying against trolls and NOBODY BROUGHT FIRE. Like. Not even a torch to see with.

Nobody even had flint & steel.

These were veteran gamers. I don't underst- :psyduck:

Also I don't do a good job flying by the seat of my pants running things and there isn't enough prep-time in the world to deal with human players outside of a video game to account for everything (they don't like it when you make them stand in place and not kill kings for some reason). So I'm strictly a player now. And trust me, whenever I can be, I am the bringer of fire.

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 26, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I mostly end up in a GM role, despite wanting to be a player more often. Just how things tend to shake out.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

I am a player. I am far too much of a procrastinator to be capable of preparing a campaign, and I am also terrible at thinking on my feet so I wouldn't be able to react at all to my players.
As for the LP, your Pikmin weren't trapped at all. You could have just thrown them up on the ledge and gone around to get them. You almost did that, but apparently the Wallywog threat made you forget about your plan.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

CaptianKatsura posted:

I am a player. I am far too much of a procrastinator to be capable of preparing a campaign, and I am also terrible at thinking on my feet so I wouldn't be able to react at all to my players.

Same, pretty much.

I'm also not great at the whole "role-playing" thing.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Strictly player. I am too bad at remembering the rules to handle anything more than my own character.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I have a GMPC. He doesn't even have a class, he's just a guy named Cole Flint. He just follows adventurers and sells them flint and steel for exorbitant prices, because they always, always, assume someone else is bringing the flint, or just forget entirely.

"I light my torch!" "How?" "..."

"Heh heh, what're ya buyi-" "Flint, Cole. It's always flint, Cole, that's all you sell. Stop asking."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Thesaya posted:

Strictly player. I am too bad at remembering the rules to handle anything more than my own character.

I'm the opposite, I can't stand sloppy GMs and so I always end up being the bride and never a bridesmaid. :v:

• Locked thread