Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, they destroyed a whole bunch of conifers when they fired the weapon, but the planet was cold the first time we saw it. I guess technically at that point it had already been charged once -- we don't see it charge the first time, do we? -- so I guess that maybe it could have been warmer previously, but for some reason this science fantasy movie failed adequately to address, preferably through monotone exposition by alien scientists, this wholly irrelevant issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Do all planets in Star Wars have only one planetwide biome and a static climate?

It's Star Wars so yes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ImpAtom posted:

Yes it was. Look at the shot of Starkiller Base firing. The leaves on the trees are entirely green and free of ice. Their base is in the mountains but the planet itself is covered with ice when it clearly wasn't before.

Those trees are covered in snow.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yes it was. Look at the shot of Starkiller Base firing. The leaves on the trees are entirely green and free of ice. Their base is in the mountains but the planet itself is covered with ice when it clearly wasn't before.

is this a quote from star wars universe version of Loose Change

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Viller posted:

Rey told Han what happened after the first guy who stole it(Ducaine->someone->Unkar Plutt). So it could all be made up poo poo from Unkar Plutt, or whoever dropped off Rey.
I'm starting to think that vision Rey gets kinda points to Ben Solo dropping her off. He does show through the movie that hes capable of playing with people's minds
more than we've seen in the past movies and hes conflicted with the light throughout. Wich would kinda tie in to why Snoke doubts that he can kill off Han Solo.

I still want to believe its some Luke grand plan for when his daughter is ready though.

Following with stupid Star Wars naming convention, Unkar sounds a lot like uncle. As in he's Rey's "uncle" taking care of her in place of whoever made the deal with him to leave Rey there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Those trees are covered in snow.

If you say so. v:shobon:v

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The Rebellion defeated the Empire. After Palpatine's death about half the worlds in the old Galactic Republic reestablished the senate and the Republic. The other half the galaxy was controlled by Imperial factions and, basically, descended into feudal warlordism. About 30 years before the new movie, the Battle of Jakku, fought between the newly formed Republic and the dying remnants of the Empire broke the back of the last alliance of imperial warlords and established a tentative peace treaty between the two sides, in which a war weary Republic agreed to step down from a war footing if the remaining Imperial warlords agreed to keep their (generally lovely) planets for themselves and not invade into Republic space.

Then, some number of years later, a new ideology arises in the broken old Imperial planets and spreads like wildfire among the younger generation, promising a return to strength, order, purity, and all the other old fascist crap, and the new young ideological movement quickly seizes a lot of territory faster than anyone expected. The Republic is big and powerful, but doesn't want to commit its sons and daughters en masse to this obvious quagmire hell-hole of a war, so instead they quietly arm local resistance leaders within New Order space and send in special forces operatives like Poe and Leia to "advise" the local troops and provide air space support.

And then the movie happens.

TL:DR: The Republic is Space-America, the New Order is Space-ISIS, the Resistance is the Space-Kurds.

Thanks! Your post was really helpful. I wish they cleared this up in the movie.

And Monsterenvy's post.

So did Coruscant get blown up or what? I imagine the Republic is still around.

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 26, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

korusan posted:

Following with stupid Star Wars naming convention, Unkar sounds a lot like uncle. As in he's Rey's "uncle" taking care of her in place of whoever made the deal with him to leave Rey there

... gently caress.

If Ben Solo dropped Rey off with Unkar then that just basically means it is a parallel with Ben Kenobi dropping Luke off with Uncle Owen, doesn't it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ImpAtom posted:

you can see snow blow off the trees.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sorry your eyes don't work and you have bad theories.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Do all planets in Star Wars have only one planetwide biome and a static climate?

In the EU, some significant planets, like Corellia, are more varied, but that's no longer canon, so yeah, I think literally every planet we've seen now is single-biome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm sorry your eyes don't work and you have bad theories.

You're right. The villains destroying the planet's sun actually had no impact whatsoever and the rebels murdered a planet all on their own. I am glad we're all on the same page when it comes to stupid theories.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Pakled posted:

In the EU, some significant planets, like Corellia, are more varied, but that's no longer canon, so yeah, I think literally every planet we've seen now is single-biome.

Naboo has 2

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

ImpAtom posted:

You really really really need to go outside more.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Delthalaz posted:

Thanks guys who answered my question about WTF was going on . Now I think it makes more sense, but then what got blown up by the star killer super Death Star? They said they blew up the Republic didn't they?
To be specific they blew up the New Republic capital, which apparently moves around. That wasn't Coruscant they blew up. It would have been great if this was explained, but political words outside of the opening crawl were probably considered too risky.

e: Since this is star wars it probably bears saying: the New Republic moves which planet is its capital around, it does not literally move around some kind of Governance Star.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pakled posted:

Maybe Naboo? I seem to recall it was both a mountainous area as well as a flatter area with a bunch of lakes?

I don't really remember that much from that movie tbh.5

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Perhaps you should actually pay attention to the film before you go flip out like this.

The Starkiller planet is green when we first see it during the initial firing. With the sun dying it becomes a frozen hellhole. This is why there are still green trees when they land there, they're just covered by tons of ice.

Like seriously a major climactic fight in the episode takes place in the ice-covered forest. The planet isn't Hoth.

What makes you think the sun is dying? That fact that they're drawing energy from it? Do you really think a planet base weapon is going to draw enough energy from a sun to kill it? And if so, why would they expend what has to be a huge amount of resources building a massive weapon that's going to render itself useless by destroying it's own sun and source of energy?

And aren't all the trees we see there evergreens, which are commonly found in cold areas?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Murphys Law posted:

What makes you think the sun is dying?

... The fact it literally vanishes and that the base is literally called Starkiller.

It is a literal actual significant plot point in the film that Starkiller Base kills stars. We see the sun vanish from the sky and the presence of the sun is in fact the timer for the final battle because once the sun is dead they can fire.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It did kill the sun, actually. I mean, it's literally called the Starkiller.

EDIT; lol.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Delthalaz posted:

Thanks! Your post was really helpful. I wish they cleared this up in the movie.

And Monsterenvy's post.

So did Coruscant get blown up or what? I imagine the Republic is still around.
They blew up Hosnian Prime, the current home of the galactic senate*, and also their main military installation. To continue the analogy; Space-ISIS just nuked Space-Washington DC and the Space-Pentagon. The Republic isn't dead, but they are seriously crippled, and the New Order is in a position to blitzkrieg them.

*the senate's location rotates on a semi-frequent basis from member world to member world, a background detail only hardcore fans will care about. I think they did this so they didn't have to blow up a named world like Coruscant that the fans might care about.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Murphys Law posted:

What makes you think the sun is dying? That fact that they're drawing energy from it? Do you really think a planet base weapon is going to draw enough energy from a sun to kill it? And if so, why would they expend what has to be a huge amount of resources building a massive weapon that's going to render itself useless by destroying it's own sun and source of energy?

And aren't all the trees we see there evergreens, which are commonly found in cold areas?

I don't know about the trees, but it's plainly stated and shown that the base extinguishes the sun the second time it charges up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ImpAtom posted:

You're right. The villains destroying the planet's sun actually had no impact whatsoever and the rebels murdered a planet all on their own. I am glad we're all on the same page when it comes to stupid theories.

Neither of those things have anything to do with your retarded memory that the planet was lush and green previously. It was always a winter environment you big dumb baby.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
It seems to me that yeah it was probably always cold at least on that part of where they were. I mean who knows how many times they charged up their big ol gun before then. Butthere was also a clear transitioning scene as they killed the sun some more where it got COLDER. And yeah the sun died :P

Everybody happy now?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maybe Naboo? I seem to recall it was both a mountainous area as well as a flatter area with a bunch of lakes?

I don't really remember that much from that movie tbh.5

Naboo also gets to be an "underwater" planet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tr33 posted:

It seems to me that yeah it was probably always cold at least on that part of where they were. I mean who knows how many times they charged up their big ol gun before then. Butthere was also a clear transitioning scene as they killed the sun some more where it got COLDER. And yeah the sun died :P

Everybody happy now?
If I recall the giant eyeball trench seemed, assuming we saw the planet from the side like most of them get shown, to be in the polar part of whatever shitheap planet the First Order was converting. Plus they dug a gigantic gently caress-off trench of that size, which would probably reduce atmospheric pressure for the rest of the planet. So yeah they'd hosed it up but good even if it was not yet actually dead.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Frackie Robinson posted:

I don't know about the trees, but it's plainly stated and shown that the base extinguishes the sun the second time it charges up.

I saw that they were drawing energy from the sun, I guess I missed the sun actually being extinguished.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It does seem a touch excessive, really, since a quick Google search says one second of the Sun's energy output is equivalent to the power our civilization would use for 500,000 years, and it's got five billion years left of fuel. Where does the mass go, and how do they contai--gently caress, IS THIS HOW YOU PEOPLE THINK ALL THE TIME?!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It does seem a touch excessive, really, since a quick Google search says one second of the Sun's energy output is equivalent to the power our civilization would use for 500,000 years, and it's got five billion years left of fuel. Where does the mass go, and how do they contai--gently caress, IS THIS HOW YOU PEOPLE THINK ALL THE TIME?!

Lack of sex will make a man crazy y'know...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

tetrapyloctomy posted:

What I'm getting from this is that Starkiller Base is horribly inefficient. They could probably destroy thousands of planets at once with the power of a single star, not just five. :colbert:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Destruction of the New Republic: nobody in the universe should care about the New Republic because they are worthless appeasers whose unwillingness to confront the First Order's arms race / lebensraum-style moves cost the Republic their senate, planet, and fleet. So we are minus a worthless government that contra'd a token resistance with about 2-dozen X-wings. The US spent more comparatively on the 1980s Afghan Muj. Resistance had The Force & plucky heroes, Muj had a talented but spoiled and well-bred rich boy, curiously tall, who will always be famous for sucker-punching his benefactor(s). Melting a monolithic figure with burning, glowing, fantastically theatrical and unstable material. Jet fuel...or an unstable junk-saber? Solo...or the towers? Kylo...or Bin Laden?

Anyway-- good riddance to the New Republic. I hope General Leia accepts the truth -- that democratically creating a prosperous post-fascist state is impossible. At least First Orer has given her a free do-over.

She'll have to become the new Emperor, or else there will always be more First Orders, incubating like mold cultures in the margins around weak and war-fearing states.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The big space machine sucks the sun into it's hole and then shoots the sun power out of it's hole. It's really quite simple!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea uh, apply a big fireball in the background for a picture like this:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They blew up Hosnian Prime, the current home of the galactic senate*, and also their main military installation. To continue the analogy; Space-ISIS just nuked Space-Washington DC and the Space-Pentagon. The Republic isn't dead, but they are seriously crippled, and the New Order is in a position to blitzkrieg them.

*the senate's location rotates on a semi-frequent basis from member world to member world, a background detail only hardcore fans will care about. I think they did this so they didn't have to blow up a named world like Coruscant that the fans might care about.

Oh! Ok. That makes sense. I didn't want Stat Wars to be all political bullshit like the prequels but I wish the movie had established the stakes so I didn't have to ask an Internet forum what the hell was going on in the Star Wars movie.

Btw are the the Thrawn books still canon or did they get flushed like all the others?

Also so the Republic still has a government and a military even though Hosni Prime got nuked or is all that's left the Alaska air national guard??

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 26, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Pakled posted:

What I'm getting from this is that Starkiller Base is horribly inefficient. They could probably destroy thousands of planets at once with the power of a single star, not just five. :colbert:

Goddamn millennials obsessed with their clever apps and gadgets.

A disposable superweapon is the snapchat of A Long Time Ago.

What will First Order bring to the fight next? I hope VIII begins with a ESB-style Republic assault, now openly resourced by the new-new-republic, on a First Order base. First Order doesn't have much going for them at this point - just a bunch of hidden crappy outer-rim bases where they train space trailer trash from birth to form their new army. But they still can't figure out how to excise a conscience from (some) of their troops. drat.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
What if it was a really small star and the planet was right next to it? It's Star Wars so why not.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

ZypherIM posted:

Yea uh, apply a big fireball in the background for a picture like this:

This is clearly AFTER the a fireball.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Zeris posted:

Destruction of the New Republic: nobody in the universe should care about the New Republic because they are worthless appeasers whose unwillingness to confront the First Order's arms race / lebensraum-style moves cost the Republic their senate, planet, and fleet. So we are minus a worthless government that contra'd a token resistance with about 2-dozen X-wings. The US spent more comparatively on the 1980s Afghan Muj. Resistance had The Force & plucky heroes, Muj had a talented but spoiled and well-bred rich boy, curiously tall, who will always be famous for sucker-punching his benefactor(s). Melting a monolithic figure with burning, glowing, fantastically theatrical and unstable material. Jet fuel...or an unstable junk-saber? Solo...or the towers? Kylo...or Bin Laden?

Anyway-- good riddance to the New Republic. I hope General Leia accepts the truth -- that democratically creating a prosperous post-fascist state is impossible. At least First Orer has given her a free do-over.

She'll have to become the new Emperor, or else there will always be more First Orders, incubating like mold cultures in the margins around weak and war-fearing states.

Full Galactic Communism is the answer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

Btw are the the Thrawn books still canon or did they get flushed like all the others?

They're flushed. Part of the plot of them is that Han and Leia had twins named Jacen and Jaina.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I think that the city planet, whether Coruscant or not, is meant to represent it to a degree to audience members who may remember it but not care enough about the same. So it's going for the same feeling as though Coruscant was blowed up or not but without making it explicitly canon or whatever.

Also I really love Unkar Platt's Fat Bastard reaction to BB-8. "tell you what you can have your rations and your money and I get your BB"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zeris posted:

I'm expecting in the 8th episode we'll find out they have a factory making Poe Damerons just like the Old Republic made Boba Fetts.

• Locked thread