Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Huh, I thought all of the IMAX showings were 3D.

Yeah, it seemed both IMAX theaters close to me where showing in 3D. My first viewing was regular 2D but the folks I was with on my second viewing insisted on seeing it on an IMAX screen, so that meant 3D. It turned out to be quite all right and as another said, wearing the glasses was the worst part. We were also pretty close to the front row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

bad day posted:

2d IMAX is still the best way to see it, though.

Imax is still 5.1 and 2k right? (Unless it's one of the new 4k laser projectors)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Trump posted:

Imax is still 5.1 and 2k right? (Unless it's one of the new 4k laser projectors)
The King of Prussia IMAX projector is definitely 4k and has been for a while. It's pretty, but man was Interstellar on bona fide IMAX film ridiculous.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The King of Prussia IMAX projector is definitely 4k and has been for a while. It's pretty, but man was Interstellar on bona fide IMAX film ridiculous.

Sup Philly area goon!

Chiming in to agree how good Interstellar was there

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

aBagorn posted:

Sup Philly area goon!

Chiming in to agree how good Interstellar was there
I'm pretty well set for movies out here. King of Prussia is close and is great for blockbusters or other things that could benefit from IMAX (plus bonus Shake Shake before or after), but since it can be a madhouse I usually see stuff at the Regal on Ridge or the AMC at Plymouth Meeting. Actually, it's been a while for the latter, and I think they've renovated and put in a bar in the meanwhile. My neighbor said the Movie Tavern in Flourtown is pretty nice too, but I haven't seen anything there yet.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Huh, I thought all of the IMAX showings were 3D.

No. Some are 3d true IMAX, some are 2d true IMAX, most are 2d fake IMAX (and maybe 3d fake IMAX? not clear on that). 'Fake' meaning they're just projecting the standard theater version on an IMAX screen. For now, it seems that <50 theaters across the US are showing it in true IMAX of either kind.

This article explains it as best I've seen. Scroll down for a list of true IMAX theaters, 2d and 3d.

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-imax-theaters/

I saw it at Air & Space in DC and it was glorious, even from the second row (foolishly thought a 7pm xmas eve showing wouldn't be crowded). 3d was added in post so I didn't bother though some have said it adds to the experience.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 27, 2015

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

rockopete posted:

No. Some are 3d true IMAX, some are 2d true IMAX, most are 2d fake IMAX (and maybe 3d fake IMAX? not clear on that). 'Fake' meaning they're just projecting the standard theater version on an IMAX screen. For now, it seems that <50 theaters across the US are showing it in true IMAX of any kind.

This article explains it as best I've seen. Scroll down for a list of true IMAX theaters, 2d and 3d.

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-imax-theaters/

I saw it at Air & Space in DC and it was glorious, even from the second row (foolishly thought a 7pm xmas eve showing wouldn't be crowded). 3d was added in post so I didn't bother though some have said it adds to the experience.

Ugh, Tuttleman. A lot of the IMAX 2D theaters are the domes. I saw The Dark Knight Rises in one, and it sucked watching a regular movie on that screen.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If you want to have a premium moviegoing experience you have to live near a major city, but if you want 70mm it has to be one of those specific cities on that list. Otherwise your local IMAX is just really big with good sound, but not perfection incarnate. And I don't know of any 2D IMAX showings outside of those 70mm places.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sheev had to spend decades in the Sith closet. All that over the top cackling was basically him having a coming out party. He played it perfectly in Revenge.

I completely seriously agree, this was my favorite thing in the PT:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w9KVIfpNG4w

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 26, 2015

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Did he really have to talk like he's retarded though? All his super junky movements and sounds make that scene comedic rather than thrilling.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I'm really surprised that for all the criticisms in the dozens of pages I've read in this thread, I have only seen one person comment on how utterly stupid the name "Snoke" is.

How did that name get the greenlight?

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
What was TFA's budget?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Laurenz posted:

What was TFA's budget?

$200M. gently caress knows how much in marketing, though.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The total production and worldwide marketing budget was reported at $350 million.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Is it possible to put an infinity sign in your spreadsheets?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zero VGS posted:

I completely seriously agree, this was my favorite thing in the PT:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w9KVIfpNG4w

Those first 3 seconds were really off putting, only because him saying "no, no, no", really sounded like Mr. Bean.

On the other hand, Mr Bean as a sith lord is probably something I would watch.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The total production and worldwide marketing budget was reported at $350 million.
Oh, so this bomb only made $530M this week. Pfffft.

ImpAtom posted:

Is it possible to put an infinity sign in your spreadsheets?
Yeah, but it's also going to earn infinity dollars. Which infinity is bigger? It's a goddamned limit equation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's highly likely that most of the promotional tie ins were paid to Disney.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Stumpus posted:

I'm really surprised that for all the criticisms in the dozens of pages I've read in this thread, I have only seen one person comment on how utterly stupid the name "Snoke" is.

The name "Snoke" is no more inherently silly than "Yoda" "Qui-Gon", "Sheev", or "Jabba".

We just haven't had a decade+ to accept it yet

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love silly names like "Snoke" or "Sheev" or "Insanius."

Now poo poo like "Mara Jade" is a fanfiction turd name.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Savage Opress is the best Star Wars name

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Kit Fisto.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Supreme Leader Snoke is a great Star Wars name.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Darth Icky is the best name

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

Supreme Leader Snoke is a great Star Wars name.

Especially since that's just a terminal title. At some point you had Adjunct Professor Snoke trying to figure out how to pay for health insurance.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Oh, so this bomb only made $530M this week. Pfffft.
I wonder how long it'll take for this to make a billion dollars. Because I'm sure it'll happen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Stumpus posted:

Snoke=Snake=Serpent=Satan

Exploit's man's insecurity and thirst for forbidden knowledge, yada yada, I get it but I agree it's kind of lame.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wonder how long it'll take for this to make a billion dollars. Because I'm sure it'll happen.
It sure seems to have attracted a lot of repeat visits, and I'm sure that there are people who were waiting on reviews first, and more who want the crowds to die down. Theater releases seem to go by so fast now, though. I remember when Forrest Gump came out and was in the theaters for months -- hell, looking it up here, it was in theaters for forty-two weeks. I know that the home video market changed that, and streaming video / online purchaes later did as well, but I do miss being able to see movies on the big screen for so long.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Frackie Robinson posted:

Snoke=Snake=Serpent=Satan

Exploit's man's insecurity and thirst for forbidden knowledge, yada yada, I get it but I agree it's kind of lame.

frackie=smackie=junkie=homeless

are you posting from a public library? do you need some help?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If it doesn't hit a billion dollars worldwide by Monday, I'll be shocked.

Domestically, I think it will gross $800-900 million. A billion dollars would be a pretty amazing feat.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

jivjov posted:

The name "Snoke" is no more inherently silly than "Yoda" "Qui-Gon", "Sheev", or "Jabba".

We just haven't had a decade+ to accept it yet

I have no idea who Sheev is but even that sounds better than snoke.

Snoke sounds like a smurf or fraglerock villain.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stumpus posted:

Like The Smurfs, Star Wars has evil wizards in it. Like Fraggle Rock, Star Wars has muppets in it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stumpus posted:

Sheev is Palpatine's first name. And Snoke sounds fine.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
The worst star wars name, and there are a lot of them, is "Shmee" which sounds like it was made up by a very uncreative person put on the spot

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Terrible Horse posted:

The worst star wars name, and there are a lot of them, is "Shmee" which sounds like it was made up by a very uncreative person put on the spot

Do you mean Shmi Skywalker?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Yup

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

This is Shmee.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

punchymcpunch posted:

This is Shmee.