Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

adhuin posted:

Maybe. There's always room for one more adventure with River. Or dozen adventures.

Like I said, just pop her disc into an Android body and she's good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Highlight of the Christmas special, just over 17 minutes in:

And here's something I prepared earlier...

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wait, chickennation.com, are you the Raymondo Person guy?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

??

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 26, 2015

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
What the gently caress is this chickennation.com poo poo, the pop up even comes up when I reply to this thread.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

What the gently caress is this chickennation.com poo poo, the pop up even comes up when I reply to this thread.

Whoops! That's never happened before. Sorry about that; should be fixed now.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wheat Loaf posted:

In any case, I have lots of new things to watch now. I got all three seasons (so far) of Continuum and all three seasons of Millennium for Christmas (I was a bit put out because the DVDs for seasons one and two of Millennium had slipcases but the third one didn't - it's funny how that sort of thing happens).

A Doctor Who fan should be well-equipped to handle the wild changes in Millennium, both in episode quality and nature of the series from one season to the next - like Doctor Who, each showrunner had a different approach and tone. Season two is my favorite run of any television, ever.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Man, 22 DIFFERENT perspex panels with integrated video displays(!) for that bridge set and none of them made the edit:

https://twitter.com/mr_clark/status/680869340091183105/video/1

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

echoplex posted:

Man, 22 DIFFERENT perspex panels with integrated video displays(!) for that bridge set and none of them made the edit:

https://twitter.com/mr_clark/status/680869340091183105/video/1

Awww man, those are pretty sweet. Give me a TNG-ish kinda vibe.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Jerusalem posted:

Awww man, those are pretty sweet. Give me a TNG-ish kinda vibe.

Yeah, we pushed for TNG feel on that set (without the beige), which I think got lost in translation a little. The panels were an attempt to mash up TNG/2001.

The radar housing (at the centre/back of the the bridge) was made from the ceiling... thing from the previous ep's TARDIS interior.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So how is that "Worlds of Big Finish" box set? It comes in that Humble Bundle, and I know basically nothing about the various productions it's crossing over. Is it worth listening to?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

egon_beeblebrox posted:

So how is that "Worlds of Big Finish" box set? It comes in that Humble Bundle, and I know basically nothing about the various productions it's crossing over. Is it worth listening to?

I enjoyed it, and each ep is only 30 minutes, so if there's a character you don't like, it's not like you're stuck with them through the whole thing.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I enjoyed it, and each ep is only 30 minutes, so if there's a character you don't like, it's not like you're stuck with them through the whole thing.

Sweet, thanks. Hopefully I'll like parts of it and have another Big Finish show to get into.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

After The War posted:

A Doctor Who fan should be well-equipped to handle the wild changes in Millennium, both in episode quality and nature of the series from one season to the next - like Doctor Who, each showrunner had a different approach and tone. Season two is my favorite run of any television, ever.

That's certainly good to know, but the slipcases! They'll look uneven on my shelf, just like my Sliders DVDs!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you think Moffat is able to make a moment seem important without having to age the Doctor years and years

(obvious rhetorical question)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

He mainly just ages them so much to give Big Finish lots of leeway.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's certainly good to know, but the slipcases! They'll look uneven on my shelf, just like my Sliders DVDs!

I'm sorry, but is a journey you must undertake... alone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Husbands of River Song gifs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

No .gif of the wallet with all the incarnations of The Doctor in it except for 12? :saddowns:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

echoplex posted:

Yeah, we pushed for TNG feel on that set (without the beige), which I think got lost in translation a little. The panels were an attempt to mash up TNG/2001.

The radar housing (at the centre/back of the the bridge) was made from the ceiling... thing from the previous ep's TARDIS interior.

Once again, very nice work!

The only misstep in the episode from a design point for me was the painfully obvious redress of Ashildr's hidden street as "Generic Victorian Space Colony at Christmas 117." Might have worked a bit better if we hadn't just seen it a couple eps back...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

No .gif of the wallet with all the incarnations of The Doctor in it except for 12? :saddowns:

Merry Christmas, buddy :)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Oh by the way if you want a loving gutpunch, now that you've watched the Christmas special, go back and watch Silence and Forest, at least the Doctor/River bits.

Ouch. :qq:

She word for word describes what happened between her and 12. "New suit and a haircut", "singing towers", "you cried and gave me your screwdriver."

:drat:

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Rhyno posted:

Like I said, just pop her disc into an Android body and she's good to go.

Why are you trying to give them ideas?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the only gif i want is matt lucas doing his "wubba wubba wubba" emerge from the power armor.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
For eleven years I have been waiting for this moment.

I finished watching the Christmas special tonight (for the second time), and my 11-yo daughter asks me if I'd like to watch a Doctor Who episode with her. Not the new series, the old one. Previously, it was too scary for her, but she's read all the Harry Potter books now and...

So of course I had to make a Really Important Decision, and my choice was Spearhead from Space. She wanted to watch something in color, and even suggested the first color one, so I thought I'd test her. She passed with flying colors. Watched the whole thing, and wanted to see more. (Although she suggested that we should watch in the afternoon next time.)

Anyway, I just wanted to share with some like minded individuals. I watched my first episode of Doctor Who around her age (it was Revenge of the Cybermen, I still remember) and it touched me to introduce her to the series now. We'll probably watch the Ambassadors of Yeah I Know next. I hope she keeps that sense of wonder, and we can continue sharing this wonderful show together.

It's a good Christmas.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Someone else please be the canary in the mine that is The Diary of River Song so I know if it's good to dive in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Someone else please be the canary in the mine that is The Diary of River Song so I know if it's good to dive in.

I bought it, will probably listen to it on my flight to Japan - I'm hopeful it'll be good, but I don't know if I'd have bothered to get it if it wasn't for McGann appearing in it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The only thing I disliked about the most recent episode is that the Doctor and River discuss the whole "the next time you see me it'll be the last, sorry" thing, at length. Sure, the "I'm running out of pages in my diary" thing is clever as hell, but River didn't play the Library two-parter like she went into it knowing it was the last time. It was just another time she got help from the Doctor, only it wound up being her last and his first time.

I didn't even mind that they retconned 11 not being the one to go to the Singing Towers with River. That's so 11 to say ":geno: I'm going to do this :geno:" and then flake out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A few more like that and Christmas episodes will be as good as the regular ones!

AndyElusive posted:

Aw that was a sweet and fun episode of Doctor Who. I've really enjoyed both of Twelves Christmas Specials so far, which is more than I can say about Elevens or Tens.

My only negative comment is how I don't really understand where in Rivers continuity this episode comes in at. It's after Angels in Manhattan but before Silence in the Library, right? Isn't The Doctor supposed to know less about River when she meets him the closer to her death she gets?

The more I think about it the more confused I get but I supposed that's what I get for thinking about it more.
At one point (start of S6 I think?) River explicitly says that they're moving in opposite directions, but it's obvious almost immediately that she's wrong.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

I just listened to the first two episodes and I think "serviceable" is the best word I can think of to describe them. They're quite fun little adventures but nothing particularly stands out. River's basically being written as a female Doctor, which isn't necessarily out of character or bad but after that Christmas special being all about the ways in which she is absolutely not like the Doctor at all, it's a bit disappointing to be listening to stories of her being thrown into Doctory situations and escaping by the skin of her teeth etc instead of things which are much more her specific area, like being hired to steal giant diamonds from warlord kings and not caring who she has to murder to get them.

But there's still two episodes to go and they do seem to be building towards something more interesting, so I'm reserving judgement until I'm finished.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MisterBibs posted:

The only thing I disliked about the most recent episode is that the Doctor and River discuss the whole "the next time you see me it'll be the last, sorry" thing, at length. Sure, the "I'm running out of pages in my diary" thing is clever as hell, but River didn't play the Library two-parter like she went into it knowing it was the last time. It was just another time she got help from the Doctor, only it wound up being her last and his first time.

I didn't even mind that they retconned 11 not being the one to go to the Singing Towers with River. That's so 11 to say ":geno: I'm going to do this :geno:" and then flake out.

I just watched The Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead

a) It's loving awesome.

b) She seems part way through to figure out it's the end.

c) I miss Donna.

d) She says "he showed up on her doorstep with a new haircut and a suit," and it's at that moment she lays it all out. I don't think that "a new haircut" excludes new face in space time traveller body changing euphemisms.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 27, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was better in Impossible Astronaut when she said "one day we're going to meet and he won't recognise me, and I think it's going to kill me"

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

quote:

merry christmas kids! :)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

DeafNote posted:

merry christmas kids! :)

It's just occurred to me that since this aired at 5.15 pm in the UK, that part (including the doctor's comment about not doing that in a restaurant) probably happened right when most people watching were eating their dinner.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Merry Christmas, buddy :)

I got someone on the other end of the line wondering if you secretly hate McGann, because he's suspiciously almost missing from all three gifs. Wasn't the original scene like that?

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 27, 2015

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Because people liked the episodes Jamie Mathieson wrote ("Mummy on the Orient Express", "Flatline") I'm going to plug his new sitcom on E4 called 'Tripped'. It's a sort of stoner-comedy Sliders, there's 3 episodes out and I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/tripped

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I had to stop watching around 15 minutes in, that was awful. But then it's a Christmas special with River Song, what was I expecting?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I don't think it was ever specifically said that 12 was the last Doctor she would know. In fact in the library, I'm sure she mentions that Tennant was much younger looking than the Doctor (she has just spent 24 years with) she knows who gave her the scredriver, and forgive me but Smith is younger than Tennant by my last reckoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

marktheando posted:

I had to stop watching around 15 minutes in, that was awful. But then it's a Christmas special with River Song, what was I expecting?

Shame, because it got really, really good

• Locked thread