Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

black potus posted:

i got turkish food w/ lsv this week incl some delish coffee and i can confirm he is a smug rear end mother fucker

Vindicated (both in the sense that I was proven right, and also utterly destroyed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

whydirt posted:

There's a big difference in showing some basic self confidence and making dumb jokes during a stream or YouTube video in order to entertain your audience and being a jerk to play against face to face.

We're not v good socially so why would you ever assume we knew the difference? :confused:

E: there's a difference? :wtc: :psyduck:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
oh sorry i misremembered, lsv is actually pretty nice and has paid for my lunch multiple times (though not as generous a soul as matt nass)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Drafting broken decks is fun but the fact that vintage cube is full of awful cards and archetypes that will never work is bad. I guess that may be unavoidable when so few cards are of the required power level.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
few if any cubes are any good to play

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

black potus posted:

the lamb shank was very good though, and not smug

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It's not like you have to force broken archtypes. My favorite deck to draft is GW Equipment, mainly because people don't realize how good the Swords are and pass me all of them because they are going for a broken combo deck. Sure, occasionally they execute their combo and kill you, but since half the table wants to draft blue the decks can't combo off consistently, and you can crush anyone in a fair game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

lmfbo "passive-aggressive bullshit", did someone poo poo in your christmas stocking?

i never would have saw it if rabidsquid hadn't quoted it, i don't think you can get more passive-aggressive then responding to someone in a way specifically meant to not alert them

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

i never would have saw it if rabidsquid hadn't quoted it, i don't think you can get more passive-aggressive then responding to someone in a way specifically meant to not alert them

lol if you don't think that when people do that it's just out of laziness or habit, and not out of some deliberate attempt to deceive a stranger on the internet.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

black potus posted:

i got turkish food w/ lsv this week incl some delish coffee and i can confirm he is a smug rear end mother fucker

black potus posted:

the lamb shank was very good though, and not smug

look at this smug bastard

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
editing isn't any harder then quoting, and if it's a habit its a bad one

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It also might help if the pricing model for spending a few hours playing with pretty computer pictures wasn't absolutely hosed in the head. I haven't played MTGO in years but I can imagine if I directly or indirectly forked out $14 for a draft (or whatever it actually is for cube/phantom drafts; my point is still relevant as long as it's more than like one or two bucks) and then lost round 1 in 5 minutes then I'd be pretty justifiably salty.

Magic wants to be a fun sportsmanlike game but it also wants to nickel and dime its players at every opportunity and somehow this creates a conflict of interest???

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

editing isn't any harder then quoting, and if it's a habit its a bad one

it's just weird that your instinct is jumping to assume that it was done as an extremely lame and unnecessary "gotcha" when it's something that people do all over these dang forums (without a hint of passive-aggressiveness).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

it's just weird that your instinct is jumping to assume that it was done as an extremely lame and unnecessary "gotcha" when it's something that people do all over these dang forums.

ok

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

It also might help if the pricing model for spending a few hours playing with pretty computer pictures wasn't absolutely hosed in the head. I haven't played MTGO in years but I can imagine if I directly or indirectly forked out $14 for a draft (or whatever it actually is for cube/phantom drafts; my point is still relevant as long as it's more than like one or two bucks) and then lost round 1 in 5 minutes then I'd be pretty justifiably salty.

Magic wants to be a fun sportsmanlike game but it also wants to nickel and dime its players at every opportunity and somehow this creates a conflict of interest???
The big deal breaker for me is that if I'm gonna spend money on an online game I can spend the $15 on an actual working steam game - at least when Gaben deigns to allow it to work. Offline it's whatever, I have store credit I play with.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm one of the nicest posters in this thread. :smaug:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

*pulls over*
thats it everyone in this thread is banned!

Is this what you wanted!?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Judge question. My opponent has a top and a fetch land out. He activates top to draw revealing terminus and fetches in reposnse to the miracle trigger. Does top get shuffled away? I would think its ability resolves before the miracle trigger and it should be on top and therefore shuffled away...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah, top is shuffled away

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Terrible Horse posted:

Yeah, I like power cube and usually do a few every year, but I can completely see MJ's opinion that its full of unfun cards, and caters to "people in the know" and preys on noobs or middling players by offering them trap archtypes (any non-red aggro deck, for example, though this years cube seems to have improved on that). There's either broken cards or unplayable cards.

Basically its for lsv-types to smugly go off on T1 on some hapless chump who wandered into the cube because everyone says its the best format.

They also keep putting Opposition in the Cube and gently caress Opposition.

If you don't know what to draft I find that Natural Order/Tooth and Nail/ramp is open an awful lot and you can usually at least pull a 2-1 with it, sometimes by just being the guy with a bunch of big 4-5 mana green fatties + dorks.

Cube is actually a format where you can pull of a very good win percentage as a mediocre player as long as you don't get delusions of grandeur and try to draft the fancy combo deck when you aren't skilled enough to put it together.

The bigger problem I have with cube is trap archetypes like mono black in the Legacy Cube. Even when you get every good card for the archetype it is not a good deck.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 26, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Judge question. My opponent has a top and a fetch land out. He activates top to draw revealing terminus and fetches in reposnse to the miracle trigger. Does top get shuffled away? I would think its ability resolves before the miracle trigger and it should be on top and therefore shuffled away...

You are correct. Before your opponent can add something to the stack he has to finish resolving the entire ability for Sensei's Divining Top. You can't just interrupt effects in the middle of resolving. The miracle trigger event is "seen" during the resolution of Top's effect, but you don't get to act on it until that effect is complete, so Top is ontop of the library when the opponent sacs the Fetchland.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

JerryLee posted:

Cube is usually the only time, aside from EDH, when I play MTGO. It's pretty easy to go infinite on the cube drafts, as you go 2-1 and you earn enough play points (100) for another one.

Also, if you are bad at drafting broken smug decks it's really fun to watch other people smugly draft and play their own smug decks. They don't always win! Sometimes the rando pulls off hilarious poo poo too!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MiddleEastBeast posted:

it's just weird that your instinct is jumping to assume that it was done as an extremely lame and unnecessary "gotcha" when it's something that people do all over these dang forums (without a hint of passive-aggressiveness).

This exchange is loving hilarious literally the page after "Ask any questions here we're really friendly!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

rabidsquid posted:

This exchange is loving hilarious literally the page after "Ask any questions here we're really friendly!"
Really really friendly towards newbies and their questions. We're vicious hatemonsters when it comes to anything regarding tournament magic or spoilers.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yawgmoth posted:

Really really friendly towards newbies and their questions. We're vicious hatemonsters when it comes to anything regarding tournament magic or spoilers.

I don't think that's a really obvious distinction, or even a meaningful one. I am mostly basing this on the reactions my non-FLGS style nerd friends have had to that type of environment though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
lsv is smug lmao

New thread title please:

Magic: The Gathering: I really hate that smug rear end in a top hat Luis Scott-Vargas

Ok but in the interest of trying to understand - which magic hall of famer isnt smug then?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 26, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Only goons would figure out a way to talk bad about lsv.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

black potus posted:

few if any cubes are any good to play

all cubes are at least fine imo (if not 'good'), even 720 shoeboxes or whatever, just because drafting is one of the best ways to play Magic and novel draft formats are fun to experience at least once. like i'm still glad I experienced 3x AVR even if i did lose to the mist raven deck, but OTJ is almost perfect, etc

it's appalling though as a Cube tryhard how little WotC seem to test their changes though, i think they rely on post facto data like "white aggro, red aggro, and blue control are tier one" (real quote)

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 27, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

black potus posted:

oh sorry i misremembered, lsv is actually pretty nice and has paid for my lunch multiple times (though not as generous a soul as matt nass)

That's because he eats so many people's lunches on stream he feels bad about it

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

a dozen swans posted:

all cubes are at least fine imo (if not 'good'), even 720 shoeboxes or whatever, just because drafting is one of the best ways to play Magic and novel draft formats are fun to experience at least once. like i'm still glad I experienced 3x AVR even if i did lose to the mist raven deck, but OTJ is almost perfect, etc

it's appalling though as a Cube tryhard how little WotC seem to test their changes though, i think they rely on post facto data like "white aggro, red aggro, and blue control are tier one" (real quote)

Cubes are like coffee/tea - good ones are enjoyable, but you really don't want to use the same cube to do multiple drafts in a row.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 27, 2015

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
lol jumped in a vintage cube, as I'm not a butthurt guy who hates broken cards/lsv.

t1 goblin guide, t3 hero of oxid ridge, lose
t1 goblin guide, t3 hellrider, fireblast, lose

to be fair Im playing a fairly crap ramp/show/breach deck, but still.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Terrible Horse posted:

lol jumped in a vintage cube, as I'm not a butthurt guy who hates broken cards/lsv.

t1 goblin guide, t3 hero of oxid ridge, lose
t1 goblin guide, t3 hellrider, fireblast, lose

to be fair Im playing a fairly crap ramp/show/breach deck, but still.

Just play mono-smug bro. It seems to be the best strat according to the thread.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

Just play mono-smug bro. It seems to be the best strat according to the thread.

I was playing as smuggly as i could but hey, variance is part of the game. Sometimes cards that do damage just beat smugness.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Terrible Horse posted:

I was playing as smuggly as i could but hey, variance is part of the game. Sometimes cards that do damage just beat smugness.

Haha, well, you win some ya loose some

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Of the Duels games, Magic Duels is free and ongoing (f2p model like Hearthstone but with a very player-friendly way to acquire cards without spending money.) If you want one of the paid ones, 13 is widely considered the best. There you play with a bunch of premade decks that you can edit to a pretty decent degree. Good way to wrap your head around a lot of different ways to play the game. But 13 probably won't have anyone online, so it's effectively single player vs AI only.

Duels 12 is better than 13, and I haven't seen much disagreement. It has better puzzles and Archenemy instead of the most boring possible implementation of Planechase.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah 12+DLC is easily the best of the Duels. It has two of my favorite decks from Duels in the UG Kiora ramp and 5 color bombs.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Have they set the dates for the other prereleases and game days this year, or do we have to wait for set names to release? I was hoping to turn in a list of weekends I could tell my boss to gently caress off on in advance, if the scheduled person is taking off. I found Oath and SOI, but nothing further than that.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

2014 is (unofficially) moddable, if that fits your fancy at all. It's certainly not the best on its own though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

kizudarake posted:

Have they set the dates for the other prereleases and game days this year, or do we have to wait for set names to release? I was hoping to turn in a list of weekends I could tell my boss to gently caress off on in advance, if the scheduled person is taking off. I found Oath and SOI, but nothing further than that.

They give exact dates when they announce the set but the dates should roughly correspond to the release dates from this year.

Somewhere in July and October for the 2 sets after SOI since they're releasing every 3 months. Supplementary releases are usually in May (sets like Modern Masters and Conspiracy) and November (Commander releases is all we get here now I guess RIP Planechase. And Archenemy I guess). Duel Decks release 2 weeks to a month before a set (I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Speaking of Magic Duels, the server is currently unavailable. Yay?

• Locked thread