Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ze Pollack posted:

This is POE DAMERON, RESISTANCE PILOT!

He is GOOD at his JOB.

He is also DREAMY.

That was POE DAMERON, RESISTANCE PILOT.

Goodbye!

I KNOW HE'S SO COOL. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
If they ever print a Finn thing, it needs to combo really well with Poe.

Poe x Finn OTP.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I could see a "Resistance TIE/SF" in the inevitable Aces pack with a Poe pilot and Finn crew.

Rey's YT-1300 should have pilot text that lets you turn revealed maneuvers into stalls.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
TIE/fo pilot Poe, with a crew slot for Finn to ride in?

edit: no, TIE/sf is the right one. Derp!

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 26, 2015

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Devlan Mud posted:

I liked the Decimator/Redline combo when I played it, but wasn't using the same setup. Only got one or two games in with it though, so I can't comment much other than hope you do well, since it's a fun pair of ships to fly. I can't wait to try it again but with Long Range Sensors on Redline, since I don't think the current suite of modifications have a particularly good match on the Punisher.

I'm not sure Long Range Scanners will be all that hot on Punishers. They're definitely great on Bombers but I think the availability of Fire Control Systems makes them far less good on Punishers.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I suppose now that I read Long Range Scanners a bit more closely, seems its clause would prevent the FCS from acquiring target locks inside range two, which does indeed diminish its value quite significantly...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Would ordnance be appropriately balanced, or just too good, if spending a target lock to fire it also allowed you to reroll dice in the ordnance attack?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Most missiles already do this, and they're still mostly garbage, soooo

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Rey should be able to do a 0 speed k turn in the Falcon.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

General Battuta posted:

Would ordnance be appropriately balanced, or just too good, if spending a target lock to fire it also allowed you to reroll dice in the ordnance attack?

Yes. It would help immensely. I don't think it'd be overpowered on most pilots, but there may be some pilots whose ability would become overpowered. I dunno.

One of the biggest problems with ordnance is the action economy required to get a modified shot is hella steep. You're usually better off taking a modified primary attack than an unmodified secondary attack.

The Gate posted:

Most missiles already do this, and they're still mostly garbage, soooo

No, they don't. The vast majority of missiles and torpedoes say "Attack: (Target Lock) Spend your target lock and discard this card to..."

There are some notable exceptions, like Proton Rockets and Ion Pulse Missiles. But most of them make you spend your target lock to fire.

This is why Redline is the best missile platform in the game; he gets TWO target locks at a time, so he can still modify his missile attacks even if he has to spend one of them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Keeping the target lock would help a lot of the first wave of ordnance immensely, but would make later released cards undercosted, since ordnance released since wave 4 or so has been costed appropriately for spending or not spending target locks. Flechette and Plasma Torpedoes would suddenly be fairly undercosted, while Proton Torpedoes would be roughly where it should be. On the missile side of things, Assault Missiles and Cluster Missiles would probably be undercosted, while Concussion Missiles... are honestly in an okay place since their text is pretty lenient to not having TL or focus but wouldn't hurt at all.

EDIT: for reference

Requires Target Lock, spends Target Lock:
Flechette Torpedo
Plasma Torpedo
Proton Torpedo
Ion Torpedo
Advanced Proton Torpedo
Cluster Missiles
Concussion Missiles
Assault Missiles

Requires Target Lock, does not spend:
Advanced Homing Missiles
Homing Missiles

Requires Focus, spends Focus:

Requires Focus, does not spend:
XX-23 S-thread Tracers
Proton Rockets

Strobe fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 27, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ranbo das posted:

Rey should be able to do a 0 speed k turn in the Falcon.

That's not what she did at all though. She stalls enough to flip over almost completely forward, he fires, then she hits the engines and pulls up to continue moving forward. If anything, it would have to be some kind of move, stall and shoot, move maneuver.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
3 missiles require you to have and spend a target lock to shoot. 5 don't (two are focus instead of target lock but the math's the same) require that. I'd say that's 'most'.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

That's not what she did at all though. She stalls enough to flip over almost completely forward, he fires, then she hits the engines and pulls up to continue moving forward. If anything, it would have to be some kind of move, stall and shoot, move maneuver.

If you made it a "before you reveal your movement dial" you could K turn one turn, fire, then next turn before you reveal your dial use her ability to swap back to the original heading which is basically what she did. Probably be hella broken though. You'd have to add "if you performed a K turn last round" or something to balance it..

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ranbo das posted:

If you made it a "before you reveal your movement dial" you could K turn one turn, fire, then next turn before you reveal your dial use her ability to swap back to the original heading which is basically what she did. Probably be hella broken though. You'd have to add "if you performed a K turn last round" or something to balance it..

What's all this nonsense? Just have it be "After you perform a [k turn] maneuver, you may perform a primary weapon attack against a target inside your firing arc. You cannot perform another attack this round."

If you give her PS 6 or something it'd be pretty good without being horridly broken (on account of having to make the shot without taking actions that turn).

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Deviant posted:

I KNOW HE'S SO COOL. :swoon:

this has been your Poe promo

you are welcome

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Strobe posted:

What's all this nonsense? Just have it be "After you perform a [k turn] maneuver, you may perform a primary weapon attack against a target inside your firing arc. You cannot perform another attack this round."

If you give her PS 6 or something it'd be pretty good without being horridly broken (on account of having to make the shot without taking actions that turn).

The whole point is that she never did a K turn in the Falcon, so having her ability tied to a K turn makes no sense. She flips the ship upside down in a forward roll then flips it back and continues forward.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rey: "If you are not stressed, during the activation phase when revealing your maneuver dial you may ignore the chosen maneuver and perform a [stall] maneuver. If you do so, place a stress token next to your ship." :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Bottom Liner posted:

The whole point is that she never did a K turn in the Falcon, so having her ability tied to a K turn makes no sense. She flips the ship upside down in a forward roll then flips it back and continues forward.

The k-turn is the only thing even close on the Falcon's dial to what she did. Parcelling bits of an ability out over multiple turns is a bad idea. Giving the Falcon, of all things, a stall (currently only available to things that don't have turret primaries, and for drat good reason) is also a bad idea.

Rule #1 of game design: balance > accuracy.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Strobe posted:

When do you really ever use your firing arc on the Falcon though?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

ranbo das posted:

When shooting at someone with autothrusters?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ranbo das posted:

When using the ability I just mentioned? It fits with the gun being jammed in the forward position when Finn took the shot, and more importantly imposes some limitation on the ability that makes it a genuine choice whether to keep going and use the 360 degree primary, or go for the k-turn and get a shot potentially before an ace has moved and acquired tokens.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Bottom Liner posted:

Not really a spoiler but I'm saying it anyway: She actually did a K-Turn earlier, to get into the ship.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 27, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Are tie f/o allowed to be docked on the gozanti?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yes, the ship type counts as long as all words are present. Note that the upcoming tie adv. prototype doesn't count as a tie advanced because the adv could stand for anything.

E: I actually like the call on the prototype because otherwise we'll have to assume words are short for other words when they haven't been clarified as such.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yes, the ship type counts as long as all words are present. Note that the upcoming tie adv. prototype doesn't count as a tie advanced because the adv could stand for anything.

E: I actually like the call on the prototype because otherwise we'll have to assume words are short for other words when they haven't been clarified as such.

The rule in the new rules reference actually applies to ship upgrade cards only. Hopefully they clarify it to apply to other situations like Youngster and the Gozanti.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, but the Gozanti docking clamps looks like an upgrade for it. I don't play epic battles so don't know what the specific cube card type means but it looks like the small mini-American sized upgrade cards.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm curious about the new 'Tech' upgrade slot - is it meant to segregate TFA era flavor from earlier eras, or should we expect to see it on OT era ships? Does it fulfill a gameplay need for cheap upgrades that aren't either mods or EPTs, or is it more fiction-driven?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

General Battuta posted:

I'm curious about the new 'Tech' upgrade slot - is it meant to segregate TFA era flavor from earlier eras, or should we expect to see it on OT era ships? Does it fulfill a gameplay need for cheap upgrades that aren't either mods or EPTs, or is it more fiction-driven?

So far it's just the new era ships that have them. I have a feeling they're there primarily to represent how the newer ships are more advanced than the older ones.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I finally won a game!

I took two A-wings as my half of 100pt team.
Arvel Crynyo with Intimidate managed to plow into ships three times with one of them being Darth twice! He got the kill to finish the game.
I think I'm in love with flying lovely on purpose.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LingcodKilla posted:

I finally won a game!

I took two A-wings as my half of 100pt team.
Arvel Crynyo with Intimidate managed to plow into ships three times with one of them being Darth twice! He got the kill to finish the game.
I think I'm in love with flying lovely on purpose.

You're gonna love flying the Ghost with Zeb as crew, he's basically Arvel if Arvel was a big ship slinging 4 red dice.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Tournament report!

Ended up coming 2nd out of about 15 with my Guri + 4 Feedback Z-95s. I got a little lucky in some cases but I also had some really tough competition.

My first match was against a Rexler + tie miniswarm which I dismantled pretty quickly, losing only a single z-95. My opponent was fairly new I assume and made a bad move with Rexler ending up in range 1 of my whole swarm. He rolled a hit, focus and two blanks, he opted to keep the focus but got vaporised in short order anyway and the rest of the game was just mopping up. The game was recorded but it'll probably be 6 months before the game makes it to YouTube by the guy who did the recording.

Second game was against a regular I play against at my local all the time and it was the closest, most nerve racking game I have ever played. He was flying palp + soontir + vader. Came down to a 1 hull Guri vs Soontir with 20 minutes left on the clock. I managed to outfly him and on the last round after time was called, with almost every single other person in the tournament watching on, he did a desperation k turn because I would have won on points otherwise.

He rolls two hits and a focus, using his token. I roll 2 evades and a blank. One more focus or evade, or if he had of rolled a single blank... Oh well, it was my only loss of the day and it was such a good game I didn't really mind.

Third game was against the guy I had been testing the list against the night before. From our testing we discovered if one of the X-Wings went down early it would snowball hard in my favour, otherwise the z-95s would get whittled down and it would snowball the other way. Luckily for me I Jammed Poe up in some asteroids on the first pass and took him down, then just had to hunt wedge down for the win.

My last game was against Whisper + Vader and two academy ties. Got a clutch block on Vader and he just evaporated. The z-95s took multiple direct hits soon after and it ended up with Whisper vs Guri. My opponent should have had it in the bag because whisper is so unpredictable, I can't just tail her like I did soontir in the second match. Unfortunately for my opponent he landed a corner on a rock so he couldn't shoot to get the cloak, and then had to run over it next turn so I got behind him and blew him away.

A fun day overall and I think I was lucky to place so highly. If the palp + two ace player I lost to hadn't lost so badly in the last round he would have edged me out on MOV too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, but the Gozanti docking clamps looks like an upgrade for it. I don't play epic battles so don't know what the specific cube card type means but it looks like the small mini-American sized upgrade cards.

Yeah. It's an upgrade for the Gozanti. Not TIEs.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

alg posted:

Yeah. It's an upgrade for the Gozanti. Not TIEs.

This is splitting hairs. The intent is clearly that TIE/FO qualifies as a TIE Fighter for situations where that is relevant.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Deviant posted:

This is splitting hairs. The intent is clearly that TIE/FO qualifies as a TIE Fighter for situations where that is relevant.

Will probably be in a FAQ at some point.

I got a TIE Punisher in a secret santa. How do I build? I only own TIEs, TIE/FOs, and TIE Interceptors for Imperial ships despite owning multiples of pretty much every Rebel ship.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

Will probably be in a FAQ at some point.

I got a TIE Punisher in a secret santa. How do I build?

Insert plate onto base, add number tile to hold in position, add base pegs, place ship on top. :haw:

Redline + FCS + Extra Munitions + Cluster Missiles + Ion Torpedoes is what I ran.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Deviant posted:

Insert plate onto base, add number tile to hold in position, add base pegs, place ship on top. :haw:

Redline + FCS + Extra Munitions + Cluster Missiles + Ion Torpedoes is what I ran.

Pretty much this - Redline is the only Punisher I've really seen be very viable. Stick on Long Range Sensors when they eventually come out, unless Guidance Chimps turn out to be amazing and a mod.

Deathrain might be fun but bombs generally are difficult to make competitive I think.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Deviant posted:

Which is exactly why I said originally that I hope they FAQ it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Personally I'd say bombs are much better than missiles or torpedoes. Deathrain lets you position then pretty easily as well, while taking moves to keep yourself safe, versus head on moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I ended up pre ordering the Inquisitor TIE and got an Advance and a Phantom to supplement the Defender. So I guess I can play Imperial now. I need to get a second shelf for these things.

• Locked thread