Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Julias posted:

You know, you can nominate both :shrug:

No he cant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Triage X kicked rear end and all the scenes from it can be used for Korn and Slipknot AMVs

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Bad anime I watched this year:

Rokka no Yuusha
I actually liked it for the most part, but it deserves being mentioned due to how gloriously it self-destructs in the final episode. The initial premise is misleading and the pacing grinds to a halt once the show gets to the thing it actually wants to focus on, but after 11 episodes that I managed to have a good time with the writer just shits himself in the final episode and rolls around in it. I hope this never gets a second season, because it can only get worse.

Gangsta
I still have no idea why these gangsters needed to be magical anime drug gangsters with weird power levels instead of just regular gangsters. As a result it seemed too dorky and awkward to be a crime drama and too serious to be funny. Just ends up falling flat. Fans of the manga apparently liked it, but it did little to endear me to the premise even as I tried sticking with it.

Durarara!! x2
Introduces a lot of new characters into a setting that already has plenty and doesn't take the time to actually show them off. Ends with a bunch of characters that I hardly even got to see, but am apparently supposed to be intrigued by, sitting around in a living room. Normally stories at least try to have a partial resolution of a conflict rather than trying to keep building up a conflict forever and ever. What a waste of time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zwiebel posted:

Bad anime I watched this year:

Rokka no Yuusha
I actually liked it for the most part, but it deserves being mentioned due to how gloriously it self-destructs in the final episode. The initial premise is misleading and the pacing grinds to a halt once the show gets to the thing it actually wants to focus on, but after 11 episodes that I managed to have a good time with the writer just shits himself in the final episode and rolls around in it. I hope this never gets a second season, because it can only get worse.
I looked up details about the LN and it does get worse

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I looked up details about the LN and it does get worse

it was entertaining seeing the thread reactions when somebody posted one of the later ln plot twists in spoiler tags

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

The Colonel posted:

it was entertaining seeing the thread reactions when somebody posted one of the later ln plot twists in spoiler tags

tell me of this, i didn't follow the thread much

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

tell me of this, i didn't follow the thread much

i think it was that the male lead was actually brainwashed to love the female lead (who has super intense trust issues), at some point before they met. their relationship was a really :3: thing to come out of the show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

i think it was that the male lead was actually brainwashed to love the female lead (who has super intense trust issues), at some point before they met. their relationship was a really :3: thing to come out of the show.

Oh, gently caress you, Ishio Yamagata. Why didn't you stay in your wheelhouse?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

You could sort of see that coming, though - he latched onto her suspiciously fast (like, immediately try to rescue the supposed assassin trying to kill his fellow heroes fast), and I can see how that could take their story in an interesting direction with continuing opportunities for :3: - how do you make an actual relationship work after being jammed together in such an artificial way? They had managed to find some actual common ground and reasons to like each other by the end of the show, after all.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Triage X kicked rear end and all the scenes from it can be used for Korn and Slipknot AMVs

If you turn off your brain, Triage X is great. The ghost friend alone puts it head and shoulders above Cross Ange. The manga has better action, but I appreciate that the anime cut down on the teenage high school bullshit. Agree with you on the second part.

The anime didn't have HEART CAAAAAAAATCH which was a loving shame. They just basically showed the aftermath, not the actual HEART getting CATCHED.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
All of you with the Yurikuma hate can suck my dicklick my flower :mad:

Anyway:
Sailor Moon: I tried, really, but the noodly bodies that make Clamp look stiff just turned me off. Nostalgia can't help all things
Kancolle: Ehh, Kongou couldn't save this
Chivalry of a Failed Knight and The Asterisk War: Twin copies of (below)average shows. Maybe they changed past my first 3 ep test, but it really just felt generic. And a rather dull ed by Ali Project didn't help, where's my "Beautiful Flower of Evil" or "Eat my rose"?

e:I'd actually like to change my absolute worst to Monster Strike, the anime based on the mobile game. Dull and it had absolutely nothing to do with the actual game

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 27, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

Chivalry of a Failed Knight and The Asterisk War: Twin copies of (below)average shows. Maybe they changed past my first 3 ep test, but it really just felt generic. And a rather dull ed by Ali Project didn't help, where's my "Beautiful Flower of Evil" or "Eat my rose"?

I'm only going to count one of these.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Just pretend they are the same show for practical purposes. Everyone in the thread did.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The world may do that, but I won't

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Gate is pretty awful. It's basically blatant Japanese right-wing propaganda, combined with stupid harem hijinx. The whole "this char looks 13 but is actually 1000 years old" thing is also pretty :froggonk:.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i forgot that i never completed a stealth b run, god this ship sucks so bad

lol wrong thread

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Postal Parcel posted:

Sailor Moon: I tried, really, but the noodly bodies that make Clamp look stiff just turned me off. Nostalgia can't help all things

Nostalgia actually makes the show even worse - you sit there fondly remembering the old show while the new one does its best to strip out all of the charm from the series. Adapting the manga isn't a bad idea, but doing it as fast as possible - to the point of stripping out some content - with bad animation is a recipe for disaster.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nostalgia actually makes the show even worse - you sit there fondly remembering the old show while the new one does its best to strip out all of the charm from the series. Adapting the manga isn't a bad idea, but doing it as fast as possible - to the point of stripping out some content - with bad animation is a recipe for disaster.

Wait, they actually took stuff OUT? Isn't the manga... like, 15 or 16 volumes? They could've made it like Stardust Crusaders which actually added neat stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Wait, they actually took stuff OUT? Isn't the manga... like, 15 or 16 volumes? They could've made it like Stardust Crusaders which actually added neat stuff.
the mangaka was really unhappy with the first anime because it added and altered tons of stuff and the anime producers forced her to keep going with the manga so the anime could have more plot. it sounds like she got a pretty raw deal, to be fair, but her response was to basically disown the anime and be really weird about what the crystal producers could do.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*looks at all the words about sailor moon, and then takes a deep, lamentingly depressed sigh* this is why i stick with precure....

e; seriously, though, that sucks. it sucks if people take your creative work and mess with it in ways you don't like, but it's also sucky on your part if you get all weird about a new adaptation that's trying to stick closer to your original thing

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 28, 2015

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

I just noticed that BAPS tag is written in the Family Guy font. Thank you and goodbye.

It uses Rounds Black, to suggest the shapely buxomness that the tag implies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best sailor moon adaptation is the live-action one where they just use stuffed toys for luna and artemis

not like, puppets. literal inanimate stuffed toys that they just glued different eyes onto to express emotion.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

the best sailor moon adaptation is the live-action one where they just use stuffed toys for luna and artemis

not like, puppets. literal inanimate stuffed toys that they just glued different eyes onto to express emotion.

This is true

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

:agreed:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wark Say posted:

From what I saw, they did a chapter per episode, which worked (kind of) for some episodes and took some fun things out of others (Jupiter's intro ep comes to mind).

Meanwhile the original series had the opposite problem - it took 4 volumes worth of content and blew it up into 50-odd episodes. Sometimes this worked - some of the monster of the week episodes were really good, and it turned the show into slice of life with bonus monster fighting - but sometimes it just made it a slog. (It takes like 5 episodes to meet the second main heroine, whereas in the manga she was in the second chapter.) The show also aired while the mangaka was still making stuff, so the second season got a (good) filler arc, then didn't know how to pace the main storyline - same deal with the second half of the third season, and let's not talk about the fourth one.

tl;dr Pacing issues EVERYWHERE, regardless of which show you watch. Manga/Crystal are too fast, the 90s show is too slow (except when it's too fast).

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

StrixNebulosa posted:

The old show was also bad. It's just you were a child when you saw it.

e: that stuffed animal is hilarious though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pavlov posted:

The old show was also bad. It's just you were a child when you saw it.

e: that stuffed animal is hilarious though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just watched Sailor Moon this year, and it was good.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

It is ok to be fond of the dumb stuff you liked as a kid. I'm still fond of DBZ despite its dumb parts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pavlov posted:

It is ok to be fond of the dumb stuff you liked as a kid. I'm still fond of DBZ despite its dumb parts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't get Pavlov'd

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh ya the abridged series is good though. But I think we are getting off track from all the wonderful bad animes that came out this year

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The mild GBS troll once again hurts the fee fees of the weeaboos with his pilled logic.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Epic troll: This strawberry cake looks pretty gay an it tastes like poop.
Butthurt bitch: gently caress you??? human being???
Epic Troll: Nice meltdown. Also don't steer away from topic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
teach the controversy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't get Pavlov'd

i got pavlov'd once, don't be me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU