Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Its been another year of good, hype, epic animes and my friend darkgray has put up the thread for good animes which you should check out and vote in.

However with the good comes the bad, with the hype comes the infamous, with the epic comes the boring. It's time to vote for the worst anime of 2015.

The List

code:
Absolute Duo
Akagami no Shirayukihime (Snow White with the Red Hair)
Akatsuki no Yona
Aldnoah Zero s2
Ameiro Cocoa (Rainy Cocoa)
Ani Tore! EX
Anime de Wakaru Shinryou Naika (Comical Psychosomatic Medicine)
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (Assassination Classroom)
Aoharu x Kikanjuu (Aoharu x Machinegun)
Aquarion Logos
Arslan Senki (The Heroic Legend of Arslan)
Baby Steps s2
Bikini Warriors
Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love! (Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!)
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal
Bonjour Koiaji Patisserie (Bonjour Sweet Love Patisserie)
Cardfight!! Vanguard G
Chaos Dragon
Charlotte
Chou-Bakuretsu Ijigen Menko Battle Gigant Shooter Tsukasa
Classroom Crisis
Comet Lucifer
Concrete Revolutio
Cross Ange
Daiya no A s1 (Ace of Diamond)
Dance with Devils
Danchi Tomoo
Danchigai
DanMachi (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?)
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken s2
DD Hokuto no Ken 2 (DD Fist of the North Star s2)
Death Parade
Denpa Kyoushi (Ultimate Otaku Teacher)
Diabolik Lovers More, Blood (s2)
Doamaiger D
Dog Days s3
Dragon Ball Kai: Majin Boo-hen (s2?)
Duel Masters VS (s11?)
Durarara!! x2 (s2 p1-2?)
Eikoku Ikka, Nihon wo Taberu
Etotama
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei Herz! (s2 p2)
Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] s2
Fushigi na Somera-chan (Magical Somera-chan)
Future Card Buddyfight
Fuusen Inu Tinny
Gakkou Gurashi (School-Live)
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk (The Asterisk War)
Ganbare! Lulu Lolo (s2)
Gangsta
Garo: Honoo no Kokuin
Gatchaman Crowds Insight (s2)
Gate: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
Go! Go! Kaden Danshi s2
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?? (Is the Order a Rabbit? s2)
God Eater (???)
Gon s2
Grisaia no Meikyuu + Rakuen (The Fruit of Grisaia SP+s2)
Gundam Build Fighters Try (s2)
Gundam Reconguista in G
Gunslinger Stratos
Hackadoll the Animation
HappinessCharge PreCure (s11)
Hello!! Kin-iro Mosaic (s2)
Hero Bank
Hetalia: The World Twinkle (s6)
Hibike! Euphonium (Sound! Euphonium)
Hidan no Aria AA (Aria the Scarlet Ammo s2)
High School DxD BorN (s3)
Himitsu Kessha Taka no Tsume Extreme (Eagle Talon s5)
Himouto! Umaru-chan
Houkago no Pleiades (Wish Upon the Pleiades)
Idolmaster Cinderella Girls
Isuca
Jewelpet s6+s7
Jitsu wa Watashi wa
Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken -Stardust Crusaders- Egypt-hen (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure s2 p2)
Joukamachi no Dandelion (Castle Town Dandelion)
Junjou Romantica s3
Junketsu no Maria (Maria the Virgin Witch)
Juuou Mujin no Fafnir (Unlimited Fafnir)
K: Return of Kings (s2)
Kagewani
Kaijuu Sakaba Kanpaai!
Kaitou Joker (Mysterious Joker)
Kamisama Hajimemashita s2 (Kamisama Kiss)
Kantai Collection -KanColle-
Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront)
Ketsuekigata-kun! s2+s3 (A Simple Thinking About Blood Type)
Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu (Parasyte)
Komori-san wa Kotowarenai (Komori-san Can't Decline)
Koufuku Graffiti (Gourmet Girl Graffiti)
Koukaku Kidoutai Arise Alternative Architecture (Ghost in the Shell: Arise)
Kurayami Santa
Kuroko no Basket s3 (Kuroko's Basketball)
Kutsudaru
Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan (Sky Wizards Academy)
Kyoukai no Rinne (Rin-ne)
Lance N' Masques
Log Horizon s2
Magic Kaito 1412
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid (s4?)
Majin Bone
Makura no Danshi
Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku (Mikagura School Suite)
Million Doll
Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen SC (s2)
Miritari
Miss Monochrome the Animation s2+s3
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou
Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu (The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan)
Nanatsu no Taizai (The Seven Deadly Sins)
Nano Invaders
Nar Doma
Neko nanka Yonde mo Konai
Neko no Dayan
Ninja Slayer From Animation
Nisekoi: s2
Non Non Biyori Repeat (s2)
Noragami Aragoto (s2)
Nyuru Nyuru!! Kakusen-kun s2
Ohenro 88 Aruki
Ojarumaru Special: Wasureta Mori no Hinata
Okusama ga Seito Kaichou (My Wife is the Student Council President)
One-Punch Man
Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan
Ore Monogatari!! (My Love Story!!)
Oreca Battle & Dragon Collection
Oshiri Kajiri Mushi s4 (Bottom Biting Bug)
Overlord
Owari no Seraph (Seraph of the End)
Owarimonogatari
Pac-World (Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures)
Pankis! Nijigen
Peeping Life TV
Pikaia
Plastic Memories
Pokemon XY
Prison School
Punchline
Q Transformers
Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry (Chivalry of a Failed Knight)
Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace
Re-Kan
Robot Girls Z+ (s2)
Rokka no Yuusha (Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers)
Rolling Girls
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata (Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend)
Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold
Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru (Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation)
Sanzoku no Musume Ronya (Ronia the Robber's Daughter)
Seiken Tsukai no World Break
Sengoku Musou
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April)
Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist
Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou (Attack on Titan: Junior High)
Shinmai Maou no Testament (The Testament of Sister New Devil)
Shirobako
Shokugeki no Soma (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma)
Shomin Sample: I Was Abducted by an Elite All-Girls School as a Sample Commoner
Shounen Hollywood s2
Show By Rock!!
Sidonia no Kishi s2 (Knights of Sidonia)
Sore ga Seiyuu (Seiyu's Life)
Soukyuu no Fafner: Exodus (Fafner in the Azure)
Star-Myu
Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider
Suzakinishi the Animation
Symphogear GX (s3)
Tai-Madou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai (Anti-Magic Academy: The 35th Test Platoon)
Tamagotchi s4+s5
Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD (s4?)
Teekyuu s4+s5+s6+Takamiya spin-off
Tenkai Knights
Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono Spin-off Purupurun Sharumu to Asobou (s3)
To Love-Ru Darkness s2
Tokyo Ghoul Root A (s2)
Transformers Adventure (Transformers: Robots in Disguise)
Triage X
Tribe Cool Crew
Urawa no Usagi-chan
Ushio to Tora (Ushio and Tora)
Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love Revolutions (s3)
Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid
Vampire Holmes
Venus Project
Wakaba Girl
Wakakozake
Washimo -wasimo- s2+s3
Wooser no Sono Hi-gurashi: Mugen-hen (Wooser's Hand-to-Mouth Life s3)
Working!!! (s3)
Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru Zoku (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU s2)
Yamada-kun to Nananin no Majo (Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches)
Yoru no Yatterman (Yatterman Night)
Young Black Jack
Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road (s2)
Yurikuma Arashi
YuruYuri SP+s3
The Rules :siren: these have changed slightly:siren:

Worst Anime 2015
1.) Pick 3 titles from the list below that you have watched at least three episodes of
2.) Write about why the show was bad. Was it disappointing? Was it poorly animated?
3.) Discuss choices, but keep it civil. Someone disliking something you liked isn't the end of the world.
4.) Feel free to rank things 1-3 if you want
5.) Feel free to give dishonourable mentions to other things that nearly made the list, but please differentiate these from your votes

As mentioned last year, the reason for this is to avoid everyone's lists being filled with incest animes you didn't watch. I'd much rather focus on things you tried but didn't like, and the reasons why.

:woop:New thread feature (suggested by AnacondaHL)

Most Avoided Anime 2015

The main worst anime votes require you to have put in at least a three episode test. This is different. This is about the anime that you felt the need to avoid based on the premise, the anime that you watched one episode then turned it off in disgust. This is your wildcard vote and will go into its own competition

RULES:

1.) You only get one vote in this category. Choose wisely
2.) There is no minimum watch period. You don't even have to have seen it!
3.) Put a reason why you avoided it. Generate that discussion!
4.) Once again, feel free to debate and discuss choices

This is basically your vote for the incest anime.

Have fun, happy voting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One-Punch Man

Namtab's favorite anime

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

One-Punch Man

Namtab's favorite anime

:eyepop:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It is easier to collect my thoughts about worst anime.

Most avoided - not even a competition, Cross Ange

1) Charlotte - This was dull dull dull and I realized after the baseball episode (4? 5?) that I didn't like any of the characters enough to deal with the same three mediocre jokes being recycled for another however many episodes.
2) Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches - A :mediocre: adaptation of a :mediocre: manga. I just really want a Yankee-kun and Megane-chan anime :(. I got I think four episodes in?
3) Log Horizon s2 - The first season was fun. The second was not, and I've yet to finish it.

4) Sailor Moon Crystal - I wanted this to be good, but instead it was only OK. It lacked the vitality of the old anime, and I lost track of it some nine episodes in.

Honorable mention for its ending:
* Rokka no Yuusha

Honorable mentions for being terrible, but I still finished and enjoyed them on some level:
* Seraph of the End
* Aldnoah Zero s2

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

Namtab's favorite anime

All anime are equal to me

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Devil Tesla posted:

One-Punch Man

Namtab's favorite anime

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

drat right i've been triggered

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

1) Charlotte - This was dull dull dull and I realized after the baseball episode (4? 5?) that I didn't like any of the characters enough to deal with the same three mediocre jokes being recycled for another however many episodes.
3) Log Horizon s2 - The first season was fun. The second was not, and I've yet to finish it.

I'd forgotten about both of these until now. Thanks for ruining everything, Yes_Cantaloupe. :smith:

My top three most disappointing:

#1 Log Horizon s02
s01 was fantastic, but s02 was 80% agonising amounts of filler. The worst part is that for the four or five episodes where plot actually happened, it still managed to be good. Shame they were drowned in an entire cours' worth of episodes of dudes standing around in the same dungeon complaining about how they got wiped again.

#2 Gundam Build Fighters Try
Another disappointing follow-up to a show with a fantastic s01. This one started out great and then just... fell apart, from the weird decision to shift the primary protagonist focus from Fumina to Sekai to the horribly boring no-stakes fights to the forced rivalries with no emotional weight to the hosed up tournament pacing.

#3 Charlotte
Also a show that started out cool, with a neat premise and initially enjoyable cast, which could have been good had it ended up being about the two leads' romance or had another cours to play out the conspiracy/time travel stuff. Instead, it ended up a disappointing mess. :(

Dishonorary mentions:
Sakurako's Investigations, which could have been a great Anime Bones/CSI but was hampered by trying to cram the drama/structure of a 50 minute TV show into 20 minutes, which just doesn't work.
Heavy Object, which had a good premise, novel mecha design and endearing character interactions for the first 15 minutes of the first episode, then went to utter poo poo in an effort to squeeze in more boob jokes.
Gundam Reconguista in G: gorgeous animation and some of the best mech design ever in a Gundam show, let down by abysmal rushed pacing. The saddest part is the show could have been great if it'd had another 10-13 episodes to flesh out the plot.

Most avoided: Prison School. Absolutely nothing about this sounded good on any level.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 22, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Most Avoided Anime for me is easily Show by Rock

Worst Anime that i've seen at least 3 episodes of: I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying. I thought it'd be cute but it's mostly lame humor and also the brother character is terrible

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Was Amagi brilliant park this year. That show sucked rear end and I saw 5 episodes I think.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The Devil Tesla posted:

Namtab's favorite anime

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Can't contribute to worst Anime for the year (would be basically be the same as best anime, but in reverse order), but as for Most Avoided Anime? Definitely Cross Ange- from everything discussed by people and the first episode (which I have seen), it's just a complete trainwreck, and not in a hilarious way, but a sad way. Tonally jarring, especially with the scene involving everybody going "A BABY :byodame:" That's not even getting into all of the undertones about rape, sexism, etc. It certainly adds up to be something :magical:

Also, I don't know the context, but there's a gif of the main character flying buck naked, rear end first, into a bad cgi fighterjet, all while grabbing some guys face with her pussy and legs.
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/qjvhROL.gif:nws:

EDIT:I'm amending my post to include Hacka Doll the Animation as my worst anime, since I actually did see 3 episodes of it!

Davincie posted:

instead of watching cross ange and other garbage etc etc watch hackadoll for badass parodies and the best work trigger has done

Droyer posted:

You have literally only seen the op. Perhaps it is a bit premature to call the entire show hollow.

Just to spite these guys, I watched the first 3 episodes so I could add them to the worst anime thread :smug:

The first episode wasn't really funny, aside from maybe the body pillow gag and the one second shot of #3 with a picture of her own face taped on her.

The second episode was better, and I'm glad that all of the Hacking dolls and their fans got crushed and killed by their bad music.

The Third episode was even worse than the first episode, and the only noteworthy thing of it was that it was a parody of that one episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion with the Angel that was a virus.

So yes, I can say the show is mostly hollow and more miss than hit.

Julias fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 23, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is an emoticon with undertones of rape and sexism

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I watched too many bad short-form shows this year.

Most worst: Danchigai
Why did I even watch a short about a boy living with his four sisters, and apparently no parents. It was never really fun, and only the grade school twins remotely seemed like someone related to each other. Dropped shortly before the end.

Second worst: Fushigi na Somera-chan
Turns out this was just ugly character designs, unlikable characters, and unfunny comedy. Tried far too hard to be edgy/nonsensical violence-based funny and didn't work out at all. Dropped two-thirds through.

Third worst: Aldnoah Zero S2
The first season was okay, had some fun battles. This one just drove up the stupid and somewhat deus ex machina plot devices to reach a wet fart of a conclusion.

Also disappointing was Wakaba Girl. It really had the seedlings of a decent CGDCT series but never managed the execution. It might have been hurt by the semi-short format. I never got to care about the characters.
And then there's Comical Psychosomatic Medicine which was never that funny, never really went into any reasonable depth with its subject material, and overall just cringe-worthy.

And for worst show I didn't watch: Cross Ange. I think I was considering watching it, before the season started. Then other people watched it before I did and they wrote about it on the internet. Then I decided to not watch it.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

yeah i'd probably go with chaos dragon

you'd think a D&D campaign with a bunch of authors could be entertaining, but failing to establish any kind of interesting plot or characters just made what i saw an incredibly dull slog

aldnoah s2 did nothing interesting with the buildup and finale of the previous season, introduced a bunch of new characters that accomplished nothing of value, and took a steaming poo poo on the romantic setup from season one

sailor moon crystal was ugly, rushed, and seemed to lack any heart or sincerity and just felt like a cashgrab at an old franchise

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In no particular order:

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan: Utterly, monumentally dull. Really not anything else to say here.

Yatterman Night: Starts out great and heartbreaking, before revealing that the writers have absolutely no idea where to take it, hauling us along through repetitive comedy and heroic fishfuckers to a disappointing, badly rushed ending that coincides with a total collapse in production values.

Plastic Memories: Who the gently caress decided to lift a story from the Shinji/Rei section of fanfiction.net and give it an anime? Seriously, this is exactly what this show feels like - clumsy, derivative, and weirdly hollow for all it tries to manipulate your emotions.

Gangsta:There's probably a good story somewhere in here, but the anime staff's adaptation of it was woefully inept on pretty much every level, from choice of source material through animation to soundtrack.

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works 2: Jettisoned most of the strengths and emphasised most of the weaknesses of the promising first season, replacing much of the stylish action and fun, endearing character-work with a mildly stoned philosophy student jerking off in your face while CG swords rained down in the background. Hey, did you know that Shirou Emiya's ideals are fake and won't save anyone? Also, the show's treatment of its female characters got significantly less fun and significantly more sketchy.

Most avoided:

Heavy Object: Normally, I'd put in one of the thread superstars like Chaos Dragon, Cross Ange, or Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid, but even given the criteria of this category, it seems a little unfair to slam something I've never watched. As a result, I'm awarding this one to the worst show I only watched one episode of, and Heavy Object easily qualifies. The pacing was disastrous, the dialogue terrible, and the attitude towards the female cast was that of a terrified, priapic thirteen-year-old. A drat shame for a show that promised giant robot Shadow of the Colossus.

I'm also awarding dishonourable mentions to Utawarerumono: The False Faces and Garo: Guren no Tsuki, two very bad shows that would comfortably make my list if they weren't two-cour series halfway through their runs. Utawarerumono started out as a fun, light-hearted fantasy adventure before getting mired in glacially-paced, inconsequential character introduction hell for eight whole episodes. Garo is a wholly unworthy successor to the excellent Honoo no Kokuin, unambitious and hideously ugly. MAPPA, what happened to you?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

In Training posted:

Was Amagi brilliant park this year. That show sucked rear end and I saw 5 episodes I think.

die monster you don't belong in this world

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chaos Dragon was boring as gently caress although on retrospect so were all the tabletop rpg playthrougs I listened to. Sakurako and Gatchaman had potential but were also snooze fests

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Aquarion Logos. How can you have an Aquarion anime and not have good music?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Cross Ange: shock factor out the wazoo, went too far. Sensible folks should stay away.

Good Vivian you look kind of cool.

Good Vivian you look kind of upset.
Apparently this fuckup of a face didn't get fixed for the BD release.

Kantai Collection: This show couldn't decide if it wanted to be "lighthearted shipgirls coming of age slice of life" or "WE ARE TIED TO THE SINS OF THE PAST AND THE TRAGEDIES ENGRAVED IN OUR WARSHIP SOULS.... CAN WE ESCAPE THIS ABYSSAL FATE AND CARVE OUR OWN DESTINY?", and suffers for not completely sticking to one of those niches.

Symphogear GX: Yes it's on my Best list because I am a slave to the Symphogear series and I will jump at the chance to make the S4 thread, but I do have to criticize how the season was handled. A lot of character drama felt manufactured and overcompartmentalized: open by showing the protag cast getting their rumps handed to them, show the turning point, have a very rote arc showing off the improvements to the point where it's boring and, despite some kickin rad moments that are very much Anime, just drags down the show as a whole. Despite the variety of songs, some of the musical reuse just felt like they were taking the easy route out in a production sense. I will be among the first on here to sign the fanatic praises of Symphogear but I must also recognize the glaring flaws.

MOST AVOIDED
Fushigi na Somera-chan: Predictable monkeycheese bull-honky. If I want a good comedy short I'll watch Teekyuu. Dropped after two episodes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is gx the best or the worst

decide, you cowardly webcomic-liker.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

rokka

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Kantai Collection by a country mile.

It was so bad, anyone who watched all thirteen episodes deserves restitution payment from the Japanese Government.

Log Horizon S2 was incredibly disappointing. DEEN really screwed the pooch.

I didn't watch enough anime this year to list three bad shows.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 21, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the Japanese Government didn't make kantai collection

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I didn't drop many shows, but according to my log I watched some pretty mediocre stuff:

Dishonorable Mention: DanMachi - Fun for the memes (all two of them?) but ultimately not worth watching. A little too generic, slow, and boring.

3: Aldnoah.Zero 2nd Season - Bad conclusion to an already shaky series.

2: Yurikuma Arashi - Tried too hard, and I tried too hard to watch it. Good show for some, but definitely bad for others.

1: Monster Musume - Some good jokes, many repeated jokes, interesting concept, but ultimately the same boring garbage. Worth knowing what the series is, but not worth watching the actual show.

Most Avoided: Kantai Collection - Lots of contenders here, but this edges out Cross Ange because of how easy it was to avoid Cross Ange, but KanColle was creepy in strong but subtle ways.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Endorph posted:

I'm 99% certain he's making a WWII joke.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Endorph posted:

It's illegal to say this in Korea FYI

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

rokka sucked really bad

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I guess the worst shows I watched were Aldnoah S2 and Danmachi. Both had little entertainment and ultimately ended up being mediocre at best.

My most avoided is definitely Prisma Illya after seeing a clip posted on reddit one time.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

1. Etotama - Nice CG but also the most generic story ever told
2. Kantai Collection - They killed the best girls, aka Wo-class and Midway Princess. Unforgivable.

Other than that I only watch good shows.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Danmachi is the only thing I tried to watch that I think deserves to be here. Seeing as loads of people do like it it's probably more of a "not for me" thing rather than being actively bad but I just found it dull and gave up after three episodes.

I also want to give an honorable mention to Rolling Girls, not for being bad but for being disappointing after a great couple of opening episodes. It never managed to reach those heights again and while it was enjoyable there was always the nagging feeling that it could have been something better.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

graybook posted:

Symphogear GX: Yes it's on my Best list because I am a slave to the Symphogear series and I will jump at the chance to make the S4 thread, but I do have to criticize how the season was handled. A lot of character drama felt manufactured and overcompartmentalized: open by showing the protag cast getting their rumps handed to them, show the turning point, have a very rote arc showing off the improvements to the point where it's boring and, despite some kickin rad moments that are very much Anime, just drags down the show as a whole. Despite the variety of songs, some of the musical reuse just felt like they were taking the easy route out in a production sense. I will be among the first on here to sign the fanatic praises of Symphogear but I must also recognize the glaring flaws.

Yeah.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I usually don't make it to three episodes if I don't like it, so these aren't the worst things I've seen this year but they kept me watching long enough to make me wish I enjoyed them more:

1. Concrete Revolutio: For about seven episodes I decided I would drop it after the episode, got to the end of the episode, and decided I'd give it another chance. It just never came together for me, I guess, but I'm glad other people liked it.

2. Dance with Devils: It's a reverse harem musical with vampires and devils but (as far as I saw) not Diabolik levels of messed up, and still managed to screw it up. At least it gave us Mage is the Great.

3. Owari no Seraph: Cool set up, bad everything else, no payoff.

Extra: Gangsta, which I haven't finished, and probably won't given what I've read here, but it didn't actively disappoint me at least.

Most Avoided:

My gut reaction was VD until I looked at the list and was reminded that Cross Ange was this year. Close third goes to Heavy Object, which is the only one of the three that I watched an episode of, and one was definitely enough.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Kantai Collection by a country mile.

It was so bad, anyone who watched all thirteen episodes deserves restitution payment from the Japanese Government.

Log Horizon S2 was incredibly disappointing. DEEN really screwed the pooch.

I didn't watch enough anime this year to list three bad shows.

Log Horizon S2 sucking wasn't DEEN's fault entirely

The director and writer from S1 were unchanged

It seems like it's a fault with the source material more than anything else since afaik they stayed pretty close to it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Srice posted:

Log Horizon S2 sucking wasn't DEEN's fault entirely

The director and writer from S1 were unchanged

It seems like it's a fault with the source material more than anything else since afaik they stayed pretty close to it.

The art and animation sucking was entirely on DEEN though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oh I should type out my list

Rokka for having an ending that was a spit in my face and the writer didn't have the chops to pull that off in a way that's good, instead of bad

Yatterman Night fell apart in its last third, the change in protagonists wasn't surprising but the way it was handled felt so obligatory that it didn't earn it.

Log Horizon S2 because I liked the first season but the second season tripled down on the action, which was always the weakest, uninteresting part of the series.

Dragonball Super has been a poorly animated, incredibly poorly paced retelling of two movies so far. It's bad on its own merits but knowing that there's a superior version out there just makes its incompetence look even worse by comparsion.

The faults of Build Fighters Try have been discussed to death in various Gundam threads but needless to say the first series was a good sports anime and this one was a bad one, with boring characters that aren't worth caring about. I'll always remember the hilarious breakdowns in the thread tho, haha.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vengarr posted:

The art and animation sucking was entirely on DEEN though.

Yeah, tho the first season's animation had a lot of problems too. It just showed more in this case since the content had an increased focus on action.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Srice posted:

Dragonball Super has been a poorly animated, incredibly poorly paced retelling of two movies so far. It's bad on its own merits but knowing that there's a superior version out there just makes its incompetence look even worse by comparsion.

I completely forgot about Dragonball Super. I'm adding that to my list as well.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Srice posted:

Oh I should type out my list

Rokka for having an ending that was a spit in my face and the writer didn't have the chops to pull that off in a way that's good, instead of bad

Yatterman Night fell apart in its last third, the change in protagonists wasn't surprising but the way it was handled felt so obligatory that it didn't earn it.

Log Horizon S2 because I liked the first season but the second season tripled down on the action, which was always the weakest, uninteresting part of the series.

The faults of Build Fighters Try have been discussed to death in various Gundam threads but needless to say the first series was a good sports anime and this one was a bad one, with boring characters that aren't worth caring about. I'll always remember the hilarious breakdowns in the thread tho, haha.

Which 3 do you want me to count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

Which 3 do you want me to count?

Oh poo poo I got carried away haha

In that case count Rokka, Dragonball Super, and Build Fighters Try

• Locked thread