Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

thathonkey posted:

those "cubicles" with low walls somehow manage to make cubicles even more undesirable

"Open concept" is the loving worst. No idea how people tolerated the removal of the last bit of privacy anyone had in the workplace but it happened and now here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

I worked in an open floor plan office on the ground floor of an all glass building in a newly trendy neighborhood with a huge homeless population

Hobos would wake up in the alley next door and pull their pants down and squash their butts on the glass and the SQUELTCH of liquid fences three feet away was an hourly thing, no one even looked up

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

I worked in an open floor plan office on the ground floor of an all glass building in a newly trendy neighborhood with a huge homeless population

Hobos would wake up in the alley next door and pull their pants down and squash their butts on the glass and the SQUELTCH of liquid fences three feet away was an hourly thing, no one even looked up

Somewhere off of Market St?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

naem posted:

this owns

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

"Open concept" is the loving worst. No idea how people tolerated the removal of the last bit of privacy anyone had in the workplace but it happened and now here we are
It will get worse.

http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2012/01/09/the-modern-workplace-panopticon/

quote:

Wired Science reports on the latest innovation designed to increase the already-substantial leverage that factories have over their workers: Computerized sleeves that monitor motion — and therefore can alert managers to when someone is slacking off.

A research manager at the Fraunhofer Institute explains just how challenging it is to keep an eye on multiple workers at once, which is the problem the sleeves, equipped with three separate motion-detection sensors, are designed to solve. “The present stopwatch method only allows a process organizer to time five individuals simultaneously, depending on the situation. Our solution makes it possible to record time simultaneously, even at several workplaces, without requiring additional labor.”

naem posted:

Its a feature not a bug. It reminds you that you could be on the other side of the glass.

naem
May 29, 2011

etalian posted:

Somewhere off of Market St?

South of market in a former warehouse-y area. I heard an urban legend that some company bought an actual warehouse and let programmers drive their car right up to their desk in the same area, and they came back one Monday to find a homeless guy had fallen through a skylight and lay dead all weekend

They had a crew of guys who had sanitizer hoses spray the area down pretty much 24/7

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

seriously when is the revolution starting

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

naem posted:

Lmao

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

My old office tried to get us to switch to stand up desks because it's better for your health, and totally not because you can cram 20% more people in the same space.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Lol

I honestly thought back when, that the Internet would drastically cut down on ridiculous dressing ugly people as they learned what was more socially acceptable and what wasn't (thanks to the enhanced social connections afforded by the Internet)

Boy I whiffed on that one

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is why the 4000 a month rent in SF is justified.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

babies havin rabies posted:

the notion that people need to spend a third of their goddamn life at a desk in an office when the job they're doing actually only requires sitting at a computer needs to be firmly rejected by millenials so that they don't become miserable cunts like the Boomers, but it won't happen.

And millenials have the self discipline to W@H? Lmao

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

But I love having the old woman that sits behind me roll over and nudge me every time she finds something online that I have to look at.

No wait, I hate that, gently caress.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Don Tacorleone posted:

Lol

I honestly thought back when, that the Internet would drastically cut down on ridiculous dressing ugly people as they learned what was more socially acceptable and what wasn't (thanks to the enhanced social connections afforded by the Internet)

Boy I whiffed on that one

i think taht outfit would be pretty cool if all the crosses were upside down (punk ) and she was fit

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
beetlejuice pants will never be cool

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

babies havin rabies posted:

the notion that people need to spend a third of their goddamn life at a desk in an office when the job they're doing actually only requires sitting at a computer needs to be firmly rejected by millenials so that they don't become miserable cunts like the Boomers, but it won't happen.

Nope. That college debt is going to require Millennials working as much overtime as they can.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

loving millenials :rolleyes:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i feel like farm-to-table is actually just an elaborate way to sell off food as fast as they can to avoid fda regulations on storage and preservatives

i dunno why it is that suddenly foods that have been frozen are the new big evil. oh no we've invented the most efficient and effective way to keep food from spoiling for long periods of time, how could you do that it's not """fresh""" anymore

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

id like it if my workplace had a gym. id double like it if it had a rock wall. ill let my bonus for one quarter take the hit, divided amongst my coworkers for a sweet rock wall. id use it for an hour after work or something.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

theyll have those in China with a electric shock added on by time the next Iphone goes into production and they already had their communist revolution decades ago. what im trying to say is that we are all completely hosed so enjoy it all while it lasts

speaking of woes anybody remember this from the 90s?? i know all u 90s kids doo #fyblossom

lololol look at what hes wearing, im so doing that for halloween next year...Siri set a reminder to dress up as Joey Lawrence on Halloween next year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkOxbs1jV8I

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 27, 2015

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

id like it if my workplace had a gym. id double like it if it had a rock wall. ill let my bonus for one quarter take the hit, divided amongst my coworkers for a sweet rock wall. id use it for an hour after work or something.

Welcome to my world:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

JB50 posted:

Welcome to my world:

whoa is that a ghost?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Nation posted:

whoa is that a ghost?

yeah the holy ghost

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What are you people doing in your cubicles that you need privacy for

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://codebabes.com/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like working in a cubicle isn't the part of a lovely office job that sucks, its the lovely callcenter job or whatever that you're doing. Sharing a desk with other people if you're doing shiftwork or whatever is what really sucks, when you suddenly realize 4 hours into a shift that there's a thin film of soy sauce or something covering the entire desk.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

jerking it mostly

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Hiding seething contempt and disgust for 75% of your coworkers.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Not being forced to stare at other people and being allowed to think in peace and contemplate on the work we're doing. It cuts down on distractions immeasurably and improves my performance.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 27, 2015

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Important confidential agreements and reviewing sensitive financial information

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

is that free?! :woof:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

is that free?

Larry Parrish posted:

I feel like working in a cubicle isn't the part of a lovely office job that sucks, its the lovely callcenter job or whatever that you're doing. Sharing a desk with other people if you're doing shiftwork or whatever is what really sucks, when you suddenly realize 4 hours into a shift that there's a thin film of soy sauce or something covering the entire desk.

i like when the same ppl walk past u every day and u can see them stare at u out of the corner of ur eye as they pass by, whether they know this or not...it quietly lets u know that person cant be trusted and would likely try to shove u under the bus to escape a situation.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

middle manager spotted

Larry Parrish posted:

i worked in the creative department of a company where i worked with cool people, got to wear whatever i wanted, had my own desk and basically got paid to do nothing but read sa all day and still, sitting in that fluorescent lit cubicle filled me with a sense of dread every morning

that's not the way humans are meant to be

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Planning, scheming, plotting

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

waitwhatno posted:

Planning, scheming, plotting

Oh hey I have a plotter in my office too, interesting machines

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

still no idea

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

lol if you don't have an office so you can just close the door and not be bothered by the peons

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cubicles don't make a job bad but they definately make a bad job much worse. It's like the "hang in there!" Kitty poster that management hangs up that just makes you want to kill yourself more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Cubicles don't make a job bad but they definately make a bad job much worse. It's like the "hang in there!" Kitty poster that management hangs up that just makes you want to kill yourself more

But I love that poster

• Locked thread