Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Wild wasteland mod will feature a new group\gang whatevah, named "The Post-Men", a slightly more fascistic, totalitarian transhumanst movement, although I'm trying to avoid too many tropes. think of them as something like the borg, but without the want to subjigate & absorb everyone, eventually they just want to sublime, encoding themselves into energy and leaving the wasteland behind.
However, before they do that they want to experience as much as they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, the green boundary lines themselves don't actually define anything, they're just physical objects that represent where the boundary line is. There are a couple places where you can get objects to poke out of the boundaries because the buildable area is sliiightly bigger, but the actual size of the area is all handled internally. I am looking forward to the first mods that make it so you can build wherever you want, as well as the myriad of things that will break horribly when you do so.

This is actually super easy to do, unfortunately it causes the cell reset bug at the moment.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would this mod help remedy things? The modder says it could, but I'd like second opinions.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Skills were clunky and terrible even back in FO1 and 2, but they made more sense there because everything was turn based and you could pretty trivially get an idea of how much was enough. Screwing around at chargen for an hour and dumping everything into unarmed, for example, gave you a good idea of what was going on with it. Utility skills like Speech and Science were slightly different and harder to get a handle on, but it was made somewhat better by the fact that these skills ranged from nice conveniences to completely and utterly pointless. Ranges with guns were easy to judge and the entire thing was pretty straightforward.

None of that is true in the FPS modern incarnations. Utility skills range from very comfortable bonuses to absolutely crucial and are even harder to get a handle on than before without foreknowledge of the game's challenges. Gunfighting skills are practically impossible to understand due to how VATS judges how much of someone's body is 'covered'. Melee skills were colossally pointless because of how much damage you take just getting into melee in a real-time setup; melee only makes sense as a backup plan or alternate, not as a primary mode of combat. Skills were always a dorky kid at the hip joint, but with FO3 and New Vegas the dorky kid was also morbidly obese. Good goddamn riddance to skills.

I don't pretend that the new perk system is ideal or perfect, but it's a huge amount better. In FO4 I do not need to meticulously plan every fiddly skill to do the things I need to do. I can just glance at the perk chart for the thing I want to do, do some trivial arithmetic, and realize it's 2, 5, 7, or whatever levels before I can do it and I absolutely do not need to worry about making my character unplayable in the meantime.

Yeah, but on the other hand it's still literally the same except your skill increases are level gated, which hey power to you if that's what you like I guess.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

staberind posted:

Wild wasteland mod will feature a new group\gang whatevah, named "The Post-Men", a slightly more fascistic, totalitarian transhumanst movement, although I'm trying to avoid too many tropes. think of them as something like the borg, but without the want to subjigate & absorb everyone, eventually they just want to sublime, encoding themselves into energy and leaving the wasteland behind.
However, before they do that they want to experience as much as they can.

This idea is more interesting and funny than anything Bethesda has ever thought up.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Alabaster White posted:

This idea is more interesting and funny than anything Bethesda has ever thought up.

The writer's room posted:

"What about a gang that is SUPER inspired by the 50s?"

"Johnson, you're a goddamn genius."

The first thing I do is remake Libertaila to be a thriving settlement populated exclusively with an women. Entrance will be gated by a 10 question test of real-life feminist theory.

Quest Started: Trigger Warning.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I think I discovered Bethesda's inspiration for the Silver Shroud: a low-rent Batman known as The Spirit. Neat poo poo.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Subterfrugal posted:

The first thing I do is remake Libertaila to be a thriving settlement populated exclusively with an women. Entrance will be gated by a 10 question test of real-life feminist theory.

Quest Started: Trigger Warning.

Shouldn't it be a settlement of libertarians/survivalists like all those internet stories about how libertarians want to like buy an island and run it their way?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Shouldn't it be a settlement of libertarians/survivalists like all those internet stories about how libertarians want to like buy an island and run it their way?

And they only use gold-standard backed pre-war currency. Except they have only two gold bars in their "bank" so it's not only fiat currency, it's the only fiat currency in Commonwealth If you don't mind traveling all the way to the Hub in the NCR to exchange those caps.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand it's still literally the same except your skill increases are level gated, which hey power to you if that's what you like I guess.

Did you just not read the last paragraph you quoted or what

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

It started that way, but then it devolved into a utilitarian hellhole until women rolled in and fixed everything. It may just be my perception, but I see a big correlation between dudes who think that they would thrive in a floating libertopia and dudes angry about not getting laid. The only way I'll invest any time into modding is if I can troll them in the process.

My creative process is entirely spite-driven.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 25, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Subterfrugal posted:

My creative process is entirely spite-driven.

Just like Bethesda's!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

gromdul posted:

^I will cover the sky with floor tiles and block out the sun except for Sanctuary. The jack up the rents.

"Since the dawn of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun. I shall do the next best thing, block it out!"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Skandranon posted:

"Since the dawn of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun. I shall do the next best thing, block it out!"

God someone make this the Institute's plan.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

God someone make this the Institute's plan.

It appears they have already taken basement dwelling to a whole new level.

But goddamn, so many times main quest givers say utterly stupid things, despite my being able to counter their argument.
"Hey, uh, we have developed something uniquly adapted to this specific occasion, but we want you to go along and make sure it happens, along with a single thing, despite us having a bunch of them wandering around aimlessly",
"I think this is a waste of my time, as I previously mentioned",
"B. Buu. but OUR precious, we wants it baaack"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gobblecoque posted:

yeah the level requirements are too high to actually make character builds any bit interesting

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Also you absolutely can still ruin yourself with a worthless build if you get only terrible perks (or bad SPECIAL allocation), just like you could before if you put everything into barter or whatever. Better descriptions that more clearly said what exactly each skill would do for you would mostly fix that problem, while there's no similar quick solution to all the problems introduced by the perks in FO4.

If you don't get gun nut and one of the weapon damage perks, you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage, end of story. And you can only get ranks in those perks at certain levels, so it's harder to do interesting things with your build (similar to how it's harder to do interesting things with your character roleplay-wise compared to earlier fallouts).

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 25, 2015

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Also you absolutely can still ruin yourself with a worthless build if you get only terrible perks (or bad SPECIAL allocation), just like you could before if you put everything into barter or whatever. Better descriptions that more clearly said what exactly each skill would do for you would mostly fix that problem, while there's no similar quick solution to all the problems introduced by the perks in FO4.

If you don't get gun nut and one of the weapon damage perks, you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage, end of story. And you can only get ranks in those perks at certain levels, so it's harder to do interesting things with your build (similar to how it's harder to do interesting things with your character roleplay-wise compared to earlier fallouts).

True, but the game isn't that hard. I play with mods that hugely effect combat damage made by our own The Iron Rose, but that's a two-way street (incoming damage is boosted too). Eventually you will get an explosive something that you can whip out when poo poo hits the fan. I have two explosive combat shotguns, so I gave one to Piper (only do this if you have Inspirational, or else...)

Companions are a good source for utility rather than pure damage. I often give my companion a hunting rifle I re-chambered to .38 that has the staggering legendary. Ammo use is low, and the effect is great CC. There is a mod for unlimited companion ammo now (works like settlers) so I can go hog wild and give them full auto weapons if I want. But I'm also level 104, and have taken to just roaming solo since I have all my available companions' perks.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Tbh I just think it's loving dumb they split up small arms the way they did. At least before it would translate across a variety of weapons rather than just specific types. Like gently caress having to dump into rifle, automatic, sniper, etc rather than just getting better in general at guns with specific proficiencies

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Sniper is useless, hope that helps. All you really need is Rifleman or Gunslinger. Commando is nice but it can wait.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anyone know if this is safe or if it causes the cell reset bug like similar mods?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6497/

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Segmentation Fault posted:

I think I discovered Bethesda's inspiration for the Silver Shroud: a low-rent Batman known as The Spirit. Neat poo poo.

Its this: http://www.oldradioworld.com/shows/The_Shadow.php
I did some re-reads of the dramas some company was trying to do waaay back in the day.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I had a cassette tape of The Shadow when I was a kid. It is pretty much exactly the same as The Silver Shroud. "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

Also, The Spirit is less low-rent Batman and more very renowned and influential.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

here's the difference: literally any mistake you make can be fixed with a couple more levels. very, very easily, i might add.

in FO3 and NV a bad SPECIAL distribution will make you bad the entire game, and bad skill investments will make you useless halfway in. gun nut is really the only thing that's a requirement (i eschewed weapon perks entirely until level 30 and was fine) a lot of this is simply that FO4 is not a hard game, but even if it were harder, you would at least not be completely up poo poo creek with 5-7 hours invested.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Coolguye posted:

here's the difference: literally any mistake you make can be fixed with a couple more levels. very, very easily, i might add.

in FO3 and NV a bad SPECIAL distribution will make you bad the entire game, and bad skill investments will make you useless halfway in. gun nut is really the only thing that's a requirement (i eschewed weapon perks entirely until level 30 and was fine) a lot of this is simply that FO4 is not a hard game, but even if it were harder, you would at least not be completely up poo poo creek with 5-7 hours invested.
Not at all, SPECIAL was mostly just some derived statistics in NV and the occasional fun flavor dialogue check. Special requirements for perks were very lenient, most of the good perks weren't limited by SPECIAL at all or were required like 4 or 6 (remember you start at 5!). Skills were more important sure, but I don't even know how you could gently caress up there either - even if you dump all your points into survival you'll at least have amazing healing from food items. You'll have something to show for it, instead of just being a bad character who has to make up your wrong choices by spending 10 levels taking Intense Training ranks instead of important combat perks.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have restarted a bunch of times, at about the third, I installed the perks unleashed mod, because I found the level limits to be really arbitrary.
also : Convenient stores [tips fedora, as well as to Iron rose,] lowered sprint ap drain, configurable p.a. fusion core drain, darker nights, fewer minuteman updates, improved map with visible roads, free weapon downgrades, bulk utility recopies, ShaikujinSettlementAttacked, and sustainable jetpack, I'd consider these personal essentials, maybe with a bit more configurability, (most are very configurable).

Someone posted an interesting vid earlier with jsawyer explaining narrative and plot structures, its like bethesda watched that and went "nope".

Someone pointed out earlier that the B.o.S. and the institute were diametrically opposed, I agree up to a point, however, there is a plot hole thats pretty glaring, the B.o.S. for all their "protecting the future from technology" always use anything at their disposal, tech wise, to gain an edge. making any gripes they have about the institute hypocritical.

staberind fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 26, 2015

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Kramjacks posted:

I had a cassette tape of The Shadow when I was a kid. It is pretty much exactly the same as The Silver Shroud. "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

Also, The Spirit is less low-rent Batman and more very renowned and influential.

"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay. The Shadow knows!" *creepy laugh*

The Silver Shroud missions were beautiful in every way.

staberind posted:

"The Post-Men"

The name made me think of The Postman, which to my knowledge hasn't properly been referenced in any of the Fallout games. Which is a shame, as it's good material. Fallout 4 has an actual Postman uniform at least. I suppose there's room there for someone to do a fun questline with it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Amstrad posted:

The name made me think of The Postman, which to my knowledge hasn't properly been referenced in any of the Fallout games. Which is a shame, as it's good material. Fallout 4 has an actual Postman uniform at least. I suppose there's room there for someone to do a fun questline with it.

Yeah, a Fallout game where a lowly mailman or mailman-analogue helps rally the fractured communities of part of the American West Coast under a common banner would be really innovative and cool.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Yeah, a Fallout game where a lowly mailman or mailman-analogue helps rally the fractured communities of part of the American West Coast under a common banner would be really innovative and cool.

I see what you did there, and I want to kiss you on the lips.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Would it be possible to add the various trailers (like the work site trailers around the quarry/dig sites) in to the settlement construction menu? I feel like plopping down 1-2 of those in some locations would be more fitting than building yet another wooden shack...

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Would it be possible to add the various trailers (like the work site trailers around the quarry/dig sites) in to the settlement construction menu? I feel like plopping down 1-2 of those in some locations would be more fitting than building yet another wooden shack...

I dunno, probably at some point, what would be really nice is to be able to save your creations as prefabs, so you take one of those, add what furniture, stairs, extra bits and trinkets you like, hit save, and plop plop plop.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

You are in luck, someone added that a few days ago!

Personally I cant wait for the g4ck to come out so people can start adding more guns etc to the game. I really like the weapon modding system, and all the ways you can change the visuals of what is already in-game, but it doesn't help when the base aesthetics is awful like (in my opinion) most of the energy weapons.
I just want my old cool looking plasma rifle back!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

You are in luck, someone added that a few days ago!

Personally I cant wait for the g4ck to come out so people can start adding more guns etc to the game. I really like the weapon modding system, and all the ways you can change the visuals of what is already in-game, but it doesn't help when the base aesthetics is awful like (in my opinion) most of the energy weapons.
I just want my old cool looking plasma rifle back!

mama mia! I could kiss you!

Edit- oh poo poo they have military bunkers and catwalks too. I'm not sure I have any use for either but F yeah...

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Is there a mod that lets you replace roofs, doors, and windows on pre-made structures? I want to use the Taffington Boathouse as my home but drat it needs more sprucing up than I can do with the available tools.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a mod that lets you replace roofs, doors, and windows on pre-made structures? I want to use the Taffington Boathouse as my home but drat it needs more sprucing up than I can do with the available tools.

not really, unless you are willing to place in red and so on, and even then, not counting institute glass walls, there are no windows. however, there are a bunch of edits I am planning to the metal structures, like removing those blue poles from corners and so on, if I can do that, then windows are a possible thing.

Actually, a list :

Metal :
corners: remove poo poo that just blocks the way, create matching corners for all the metal walls.
walls : half length walls attatched to square, half height as well for balcony, etc. walls attatched to 4x4 floors, same as above, choice of doorways, to suit bulkhead doors and so on. windows.
roofs, 1x1 squares matching the 4x4 curved roof, 1x2 somehow. far fewer holes.

Institute, glass ceilings, curved glass walls like the metal ones, plus corners, frosted glass, snappable lighting that aligns to vertical and horizontal corners.

poo poo, there is a lot of stuff,

lots of different brick walls to mix & match, 45 degree slate roof, to repair shagged prefabs.

staberind fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 27, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

Its this: http://www.oldradioworld.com/shows/The_Shadow.php
I did some re-reads of the dramas some company was trying to do waaay back in the day.
Oh, fuckin neat! This makes a lot more sense.

Amstrad posted:

"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay. The Shadow knows!" *creepy laugh*

The Silver Shroud missions were beautiful in every way.
The Silver Shroud quest was the best quest, but the best part was when Hancock confronts you about the outfit and just says "You keep doing you, friend."

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

I suspect anything you find at the moment that claims to do that would probably be bumping in to the cell reset bug, so be wary about that if you run across something like that.

But I also hope a mod comes out that allows you to fix up some of the buildings. It's not like 'patch up your loving roof' technology was lost in the war.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I just hope a mod eventually comes out that lets you set up settlements at interesting places, instead of Small Patch of Forest #27. Any of the quarries or overpasses would have been better.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MaliciousOnion posted:

I just hope a mod eventually comes out that lets you set up settlements at interesting places, instead of Small Patch of Forest #27. Any of the quarries or overpasses would have been better.

Cant you just place a workshop down from console and it makes a settlement area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Capn Beeb posted:

Use Spring Cleaning http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4640/ but only the Alpha version, he came up with a way to scrap all that poo poo without causing hte cell reset bug, also for the stuff he doesnt include for scrapping, he gives in a refid so you can use the console with the disable command to get rid of it, in Sanctuary you can disable just the roof of the houses and build on top of them, its pretty nice.

• Locked thread