Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

chitoryu12 posted:

I didn't remember the weights of all the weapons, so I looked it up and holy poo poo. The LAW is 5.5 pounds, the Carl Gustav is 19 pounds unloaded, and the AT4 is loving 14.8 pounds. The CG is barely heavier and is at least reloadable.

Who carries this poo poo anyways. HMMWV, ATV, Mule, press-gang Sherpa etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEZVhnAvan4 Skip to 00:29 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
It'll be sweet when the age of robots comes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-UCtI9-mM0

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
<75% of our AO in Afghanistan couldn't be covered by the same kind of mounted patrols we did in Iraq. Irrigation canals were all over and typically crossed by mud foot-bridges, tree branches (gently caress these), or jumping (and falling in, so gently caress jumping too)
I carried a LAW for 2 months or so before I got a 203. We had a "2 sources of HE" requirement for any patrol loadout, not counting grenades. Apparently Talibs will stand up against SAW suppression but have a healthy fear of explosions.

LAWs are cool.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

Victor Vermis posted:

<75% of our AO in Afghanistan couldn't be covered by the same kind of mounted patrols we did in Iraq. Irrigation canals were all over and typically crossed by mud foot-bridges, tree branches (gently caress these), or jumping (and falling in, so gently caress jumping too)
I carried a LAW for 2 months or so before I got a 203. We had a "2 sources of HE" requirement for any patrol loadout, not counting grenades. Apparently Talibs will stand up against SAW suppression but have a healthy fear of explosions.

LAWs are cool.

That's kind of what I was getting at ... no one on our missions would hump a CG or even an AT-4 for that matter so the weight issue was nil. That was poo poo that got wheeled in. Sometimes we'd strap a a CG round to a Kommando's back here and there but if you asked me? poo poo on that poo poo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Victor Vermis posted:

LAWs are cool.

Is there any particular reason why a SAW doesn't get 'em behind cover?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

We strap the CG to pack frames with the loader for each cannon usually carrying four grenades with additional carrying coming from the rest of the support squad. Don't skip cardio days, guys :staredog: at least in the wintertime we load them into pulkkas and pull them through the snow.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

pkells posted:

Wait, the Carl-G was introduced in 1948?! It's taken us over 50 years to realize "Hey, this thing is pretty great, maybe we should buy a lot more of them."

I just don't get how that works.

In all fairness it's probably gone through a lot of upgrades in its ammo so it's not really a fair comparison. The original bazooka would probably be decent with modern day munitions.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'm ashamed I don't know being a former 11bangbang, but is it just the advent of shaped charges that make modern ATGMs so effective against tanks?

Edit: not just ATGMs, but all rocket propelled anti tank stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mike-o posted:

I'm ashamed I don't know being a former 11bangbang, but is it just the advent of shaped charges that make modern ATGMs so effective against tanks?

Edit: not just ATGMs, but all rocket propelled anti tank stuff.

The Kornet can make over 1000 to 1300 mm of RHA penetration with tandem HEAT missiles. A T-72B with Kontakt 5 ERA maxes out at 1180 mm RHA equivalent at the thickest point on the turret, so a Kornet will blow a T-72 to smithereens if it hits. It's actually rated at higher RHA equivalent for HEAT than APFSDS; HEAT is good, but a super fast sabot is better. At least part of this is because a lot of the armor advances we're using now (like ERA and composite armor) affect the HEAT jet even more than they affect a kinetic penetrator.

One big advantage to HEAT is that range doesn't matter. It'll penetrate the same no matter how far the warhead has to fly, so you can launch a guided missile with a super fat warhead from a hidden position 2 miles away and not lose a single millimeter of penetration when it reaches the target. You can also use very low-velocity warheads like rockets that fly slow enough to be seen as they travel through the air, which is why we were able to make Bazookas effective in the first place while still being easy to carry.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is there any particular reason why a SAW doesn't get 'em behind cover?

because mud wall houses are pretty good at stopping anything 25mm and below

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZEqR63k0kU

At least one of these videos (the exploding AK) isn't the Syrian rebels.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

It'll be sweet when the age of robots comes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDZu04v7_hc

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

the one where the guy falls out of the truck is Libya, too, I think

there was a brief period where the Libyan rebels seemed like cool as gently caress dudes and that maybe things would go secular there

lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They had Caro's leadership to guide them.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VikingSkull posted:

there was a brief period where the Libyan rebels seemed like cool as gently caress dudes and that maybe things would go secular there

lol

Sad how naive this sounds now.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

2:50 is Newton's Third Law in action

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Tactidogs ITT

:3:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

chowdown is a gear queer???

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Miloshe posted:

Who carries this poo poo anyways. HMMWV, ATV, Mule, press-gang Sherpa etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEZVhnAvan4 Skip to 00:29 seconds.

INTENSE HEAVY FIREFIGHT

where the marines are secure enough that the sergeant literally makes sure everyone can get some, god bless the military industrial complex

im not sure if im being ironic or not right now

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

buttcoinbrony posted:

INTENSE HEAVY FIREFIGHT

where the marines are secure enough that the sergeant literally makes sure everyone can get some, god bless the military industrial complex

Here's an actual heavy firefight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh3Tq477dhw

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

Here's an actual heavy firefight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh3Tq477dhw

This is one of those things where I have no idea if that's heavy contact or not, but I'm certain it's the same kinda thing my grandfather called my cousin a pussy for talking about at a reunion a few years before he died.

We get it pops, they used a lot of arty in Korea.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

God drat do I love me some Famas. It just looks so dangerous.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

VikingSkull posted:

We get it pops, they used a lot of arty in Korea.

I guess until American soldiers once again regularly face a serious threat from the air or indirect fire we shouldn't add the word "intense" to any firefight description. Caveat: urban combat probably still counts because that poo poo sounds terrifying

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

urban combat casualty rates are absurd

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Just look at all the cities in Syria that look like brown rubble right now they're on some Stalingrad poo poo

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Scratch Monkey posted:

I guess until American soldiers once again regularly face a serious threat from the air or indirect fire we shouldn't add the word "intense" to any firefight description. Caveat: urban combat probably still counts because that poo poo sounds terrifying

intense describes any time we take enemy fire after 6 hours of jdams

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

go3 posted:

intense describes any time we take enemy fire after 6 hours of jdams

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Also road IEDs sucked and where I walked in the east of afghan the tripwire/boobytrap poo poo wasn't really in play, but the guys who had to walk in the South...man that poo poo would suck and I could see it easily following you home.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Beastie posted:

God drat do I love me some Famas. It just looks so dangerous.

It's a huge piece of poo poo to load or manipulate in any kind of hurry.

It shoots nice, moves well, but atrocious to gently caress with.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

Also road IEDs sucked and where I walked in the east of afghan the tripwire/boobytrap poo poo wasn't really in play, but the guys who had to walk in the South...man that poo poo would suck and I could see it easily following you home.

A documentary I worked on was about guys in sperwan ghar dealing with pressure plate ieds like that. All you can really do is move slow in single file and hope your gpr is working.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 27, 2015

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

buttcoinbrony posted:

INTENSE HEAVY FIREFIGHT

Clearing Bala Murghab was a pretty intense endeavor. Ain't no one ever givin' a gently caress about RC West.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
any time someone is shooting at you is pretty intense actually. maybe not as intense as storming omaha beach but it isnt a loving walk in the park either

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Miloshe posted:

Clearing Bala Murghab was a pretty intense endeavor. Ain't no one ever givin' a gently caress about RC West.

RC-W more like RC-what?

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

Zeris posted:

RC-W more like RC-what?

You think it's easy watching Italian men tweeze their eyebrows in tailored cammies while you barter for a pallet of juice-box wine!?

gently caress the Italians. Except for the liquor store in Herat. But really, gently caress those pieces of poo poo, thankfully they only rolled in 4 or 5 times.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

any time someone is shooting at you is pretty intense actually. maybe not as intense as storming omaha beach but it isnt a loving walk in the park either

this post was incomplete without a picture and/or gif of Walt Kowalski

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

this post was incomplete without a picture and/or gif of Walt Kowalski

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

I've been in shady areas of Newburgh, close enough for me.

The fact that some goat herder might be watching me through the sights of a Mosin would terrify me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Many years ago got shot at while I was traipsing through dense bush while pig hunting. Sporadic SKS fire in your general direction from parties unknown is not the greatest time I've ever had, let alone having someone get a bead on you with the intent to put a bullet in your gulliver you can keep that poo poo thankyou.

Any way you'd think illegal weed farmers would be more chill but nope.

• Locked thread