Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Yeah we know for the 10th time about your love for Origins, we don't need another long rear end post of it. (if you wanna know my hostile attitude towards you, all you do is come and drive by posts about how bad Knight and your glee of it's so botched job, while saying Origins is the best. At least the others who show their criticism of Knight stay and explain why)

It's not the best either. Asylum is and always be the best one.

Knight had alot of good and bad. Unfortunately alot of the bad stick out especially with the batmoblie. They tried to make it this end all be all badass vehicle. But it's not. I don't know what drove them to do race challenge or side missions that involved taking out 40 to 20 tanks each. That was just goddamn boring. The sad thing was I remember the preview videos for it and it didn't look that exciting. I know Rocksteady is working on another Batman that apparently won't focus on Arkham. Hopefully they take the feedback and take out the batmoblie and go back to the small world structure of Asylum. This open world just doesn't fit Batman. It almost feels a bit lifeless with references scattered around.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Shindragon posted:

Yeah we know for the 10th time about your love for Origins, we don't need another long rear end post of it. (if you wanna know my hostile attitude towards you, all you do is come and glee how Knight is bad and blah so gently caress off)

He only has 4 posts in this thread and only one of them is about that??

Also guess what: hes right

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Yeah we know for the 10th time about your love for Origins, we don't need another long rear end post of it. (if you wanna know my hostile attitude towards you, all you do is come and drive by posts about how bad Knight and your glee of it's so botched job, while saying Origins is the best. At least the others who show their criticism of Knight stay and explain why)

Knight had alot of good and bad. Unfortunately alot of the bad stick out especially with the batmoblie. They tried to make it this end all be all badass vehicle. But it's not. I don't know what drove them to do race challenge or side missions that involved taking out 40 to 20 tanks each. That was just goddamn boring. The sad thing was I remember the preview videos for it and it didn't look that exciting. I know Rocksteady is working on another Batman that apparently won't focus on Arkham. Hopefully they take the feedback and take out the batmoblie and go back to the small world structure of Asylum. This open world just doesn't fit Batman. It almost feels a bit lifeless with references scattered around.

I don't hate Knight. I haven't actually been able to play it in any real fashion. If I could, I'd go into more detail about it. This is why I don't stay and talk about it. I also don't lurk the thread very much, I mainly just stop by to see how things are going/see what people are talking about every few months.

When I said "the debacle of Knight" in one of my past posts, I only meant the PC issues, and that many people don't seem to like it very much. Most of my friends list don't, and most people in this thread as you say, criticize over talking it up.

I liked Origins a lot, and when it gets brought up in most Batman debates, it's an echo chamber of people dissing it. It's not the best game ever sure, and I can recognize I'm in the minority when I say it's my favorite, but it deserves better then that, and at least changing the subject from people bitching about Knight's DLC situation can't be a bad thing. None of my posts have been just empty air "Origins is the best" posts, almost all of them have been in response to someone claiming Origins really sucked, why are people so ok with it now. I mainly just try to give that dissenting opinion, so maybe someone who skipped the game/gave it a pass thanks to the launch day bugs might go back to it, and be able to enjoy another good Batman game, rather then just clinging to the "proper" games.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You know what? That's fair. And I don't hate Origins that badly, it just came out a bad time. It was like what? One year after?

I still stay Asylum is the best though.

Origins would be my top pick if some of the level design wasn't a pain in the rear end in the later things and if some challenges weren't locked behind story mode.

Basically Origins would be number #1 if.

Get rid of that dumb upgrade tree and two?

Hated Joker's storyline. I'm sorry, it just bad timing that he ended up the villain once again. Granted Black Mask isn't really that threatening but I did like the whole hit squad thing, that was cool.

And yeah nothing wrong with changing the subject. At first, I thought it was because WB Montreal handled the DLC with Batgirl (not saying it was bad but I could tell it was them considering Batgirls devices felt weird) made it a bit wonky but Rocksteady isnt' just good at DLCs. Well in terms of length.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Rookersh posted:

The plot is -generally- the best. Seeing Batman grow from an angsty teen, to learning how to rely on everyone else and becoming the actual Batman is cool. Seeing everyone go from seeing him as a myth to going either oh hell/hell yes is cool Seeing how the Joker actually started his gang, the initial power struggles of the city, and how the pieces got to the point they were in later games was generally pretty cool. It had it's bad moments ( the Alfred bit at the end. The resurrection thing. ), but they paled in comparison to the really good parts of the game ( The Fall/birth of the Jokers obsession, the Executioner, Gordon calling for Batman's help for the first time. )

The combat in Asylum was fairly showy, and it wasn't until City they refined it. But I never liked how they refined it, because they focused waaay to much on perfection, and I wasn't great at that. I liked Origins because it focused on huge rooms of expendable dudes, with a few of the harder puzzle enemies, so I was able to play it "properly" by chaining big combo moves to take out the puzzle enemies after I beat up the largely expendable dudes. I actually went back and did the challenge rooms in Origins, which I didn't do with City.

I liked the city better. The Southern half felt like it fit, and made a good amount of sense. One of my main problems with City was that getting around kind of sucked, and by the endgame, every corner of that map was filled with Snipers and groups of specials. In Origins, they fixed up a lot of the tougher things to get around ( Bowery to Wonder Tower to Bridge/Industrial ), added Fast Travel, and even by the end of the game, the amount of Snipers/specials was manageable. This also made collecting all the puzzle bits at the end actually fun, unlike in City where I basically stopped 2 hours in, after I realized it'd take me another 5 hours or so just to do all the puzzle stuff/get around the hellish endgame City.

I could go on. The Boss Battles were some of the best in the series. The indoor environments are some of the best they've done in the series. Etc etc.

It was a buggy mess of an expansion pack when it first came out, not offering anything different then City, just tightening up some of the things City did poorly. But they fixed it up, and now it's just as good as the other games in the series at worst. At best it's one of the better ones.
did i miss some weird section of the game where batman was an angsty teen? He's a grown rear end man the whole game. he sounds like a barely restrained murder machine for 90% of the game and it only gets worse right up to the end. there is a lot of telling and not showing, the way the jokers "gang" gets started is awful, almost everything that is a callback to the first two is terrible. Do you remember the end of the awful riddler thing? The riddler stuff has never been anything but busywork, but origins had the worst ending possible. Honestly everything you say about the plot is so stunning to me I can't even respond adequately. Arkham are just comic books in video game form, but Origins was lazy, rushed, or just straight up badly executed.

There was some good boss fights and some bad ones, the good ones like deathstroke were interesting, the bane ones just felt like a rehash but with the added difficulty of a really clumsy control scheme.
The city was way better, I agree. It felt visually bigger and more interesting but it wasn't that much easier to get around. That god drat bridge can rot in hell, and the 3 or 4 biggest and most interesting buildings are almost completely inaccessible. You can't climb up them or fly over them or do anything but go allllllllllllll the way around them, despite their scale compared to most of the buildings. Literally the only thing I wanted to do all game was run up that absurdly oversized chain attached to the big building not far from the gcpd. (was that a futuristic train station or something?)

thanks for reading, god bless.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Asylum for the story, City for the challenge maps, Origins for Red Son Batman.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I finally got a response from Steam support about the free stuff I didn't get.

"We don't provide support for that title."

Great! 👍

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think the main problem with Knight is that the combat and stealth are so fun that when the game forces you to do Batmobile stuff it just feels like a chore

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

My idea for a new Arkham game is Batman: Arkham City in a Bottle. Batman is up against Brainiac solo which is really above league for him unprepared. Throughout the game you experience the Batman rogues growing more bolder thanks to the bottles isolation and the general nihilistic mood of Gotham now. Also maybe Batman can find a way to get into other bottles and team up with alien characters like Lobo or a Lantern.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MinibarMatchman posted:

it's more like "why is this installment worse when better received installments have more or less the same kind of inherent weakness" really. in any case that's not really an excuse, it's just a thing that exists.

funny thing is I knew this and didn't buy those crap DLCs but you did and I have no clue why anyone would buy the latest one knowing how little is in store for them

Except....no. I quite enjoyed all of City's DLC. At least from what I can recall off the top of my head. Nightwing and Robin? gently caress and yes. An infinite Joker room? Great. Penguin's stuff? Great. Catwoman wasn't all that, but none of City's DLC flat let me down. I didn't buy the Season Pass for that game since it'd been out for a while by the time I picked it up. I realize now that I don't think that makes any sense, but it made sense to me at the time. Still bought all of the DLC. For Origins I bought all the DLC and despite what I have to say about the game*, I liked most of the DLC that came with it. CCH was fun despite how short it was, Deathstroke was fun, Ninja Bruce was fun, the Knightfall maps were great. I didn't dislike any of the previous DLC packs, so that's why I bought the Season Pass for this game and it let me down. It just seems like, and forgive my crass words here, a really worthless point to make. If someone says Knight had weak boss fights, saying "Asylum did too" doesn't mean anything. Despite what you say, it SOUNDS like "Well don't be mad, because."

*Can't we quit with Origins already? It's over, guys. Maybe it's just because I was in the LP thread when that was around, but I feel like I've heard it all. I've heard people who liked it, loved it, think it's the best, think it's the worst. These points are just getting recycled over and over again for 2 years now.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like destroying the machine was the good option, even though Batman himself would no doubt think otherwise.

I agree and that's the choice I made. I figure the fucker quits at the end anyway, might as well do some good in the world first. Between Ra's and Joker, this Gotham is probably the best it will ever be in any adaptation of Batman.

poptart_fairy posted:

What did they change, exactly?

I've got some answers. The additional options and new enemies make the combat feel more bloated to me. Not necessarily in a bad way, but not necessarily in a good way either. Big armored guys with the blade hands or shield just make me wanna throw my hands up and leave. And it's not just a "git gud" either. I can beat them, but man does it get overwhelming at times. So many gadgets and options. What I think is damning about this is that I never NEED them. I can't say I used combat explosive gel in any Arkham game, but I could find use in the other gadgets and combat options in City and Origins. In Knight? I assume there are moves that I've never done once. I actually laughed while playing through Season of Infamy today because of how much it asks you to use the Line Launcher. A gadget that was basically totally obsolete in the campaign. Overall though, the combat maps weren't my issue. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hate the predator maps. Forgive me if I've said this before, but they're all...too open. Quite a number of them take place on a rooftop in the city and that makes it far too difficult to really....predator. Does that make sense or am I just an idiot? It doesn't feel like I'm strapped in a room with guys who have me outgunned and I need to use stealth to get by. It's kinda the same deal with combat except worse. Now you can tell that you're too OP, because now predator rooms have like 17 guys in them or whatever. Because now you have the ability to take out 5 guys in one swoop or just grapnel up and glide to the complete other end of the rooftop. Hell if there's few enough, I just punch 'em down, because they're no longer a threat. I don't mean to sound like Knight doesn't have good challenge maps, it's just not quite good enough. City and Origins? All 3 stars for every challenge. Knight? gently caress off. Not even just because it includes Batmobile stuff. I never would've done that anyway. But the predator maps just don't call to me. They either seem so easy it's boring or so difficult it doesn't seem fun enough to try. Like it's not good challenging, it's just tough. I dunno, I'm rambling.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Asylum was structurally/pacing-wise the tightest, City has the best content, Origins has the best story and also super underrated multiplayer. Knight has the best fighting/stealth mechanics I guess but not enough to overtake City as King of Arkham. Overall I'd rate them City > Asylum > Knight > Origins.

I think City has the best campaign even though the story is kind of a clusterfuck because the side-missions largely weren't repetitive, instead you got smaller stories focusing on the lesser villains who would never factor into the main plot. It also has the best challenge mode even now that (basically) all of the DLC for Knight is out. Each character's combat maps actually utilized every enemy type Batman fought, unlike Knight where most of the later game enemies are just removed because they couldn't be bothered to add ways for the characters to deal with them, and the stealth maps all had unique challenges unlike Knight where every character aside from the one the map was originally designed for has one or two shared objectives.

Asylum is paced basically perfectly and nails the Metroidvania aspect better due to the much smaller hub world of Arkham Island. The combat and stealth are kind of simple to go back to now though which is a big part of the reason I prefer City. If there was some kind of mod to play Asylum with City's combat and stealth it would be the perfect Batman game.

Knight is just a worse version of City in every way. The campaign isn't as interesting, side quests aren't as good, all of the Batmobile stuff ranges from boring to terrible and it feels like it takes up half the game. The new mechanics are cool but not as big of a leap as the leap from Asylum to City that I can't go back. I really feel no need to ever replay this game unless I decide I absolutely need to unlock that new golden batsuit by doing New Game Plus. Which I probably will because my free time has no value.

Origins is a lovely expansion pack by a team that doesn't understand anything about what made the Arkham games good. New gadgets? How about a gun that shoots ropes, so you can just inverted takedown two or three enemies for free from the other side of the room with no consequence or risk? Combat changes? What if we added a generic devil trigger type meter that just makes you completely ignore enemy weapons and armor, turning the game into mindless button mashing to kill everyone like people always accuse the Arkham games of being? Rocksteady made traversing Arkham City really fun by letting you grapple basically anything so you could launch yourself from building to building and quickly glide through the city, so how about we just make half the buildings not grapple-able so that you're just brought to a sudden halt and have to find somewhere else you can launch from? Also model a giant loving bridge with nothing on it put it right in the middle of the map so players are forced to cross it a million times. Freely selectable upgrades so you can just focus on what you care about and ignore the batmobile stuff health upgrades? gently caress THAT, SKILL TREES BITCH. ALSO LOCK THE CRITICAL STRIKE UPGRADE BEHIND A SIDE QUEST THAT'S LIKE 75% OF THE WAY THROUGH THE GAME.

I know it's personal opinion and all but I cannot understand anyone who prefers Origins to the Rocksteady games or even just thinks it's comparable. Everything they changed or added sucked, and even the parts that were literally just Arkham City again were somehow worse. I don't know what they did to the combat but it doesn't feel as responsive as City even though it's so obviously just built upon that engine/framework. That all being said I really enjoyed the story in Origins, I liked that they actually tried to delve into Batman's character outside of "Can he save everyone?!" and "Man Batman sure refuses to kill people huh." They also figured out how to fit a bunch of villains into the story in a much more organic way than City where villains enter and exit the story kind of randomly. I just wish the part where you actually play the video game matched that quality.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Season of Infamy spoiler relating to Mr Freeze's mission

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Ba.../966764#U966764

So like it sounds like this might be a problem, Freeze was the second mission I did and from there on the game stayed snowing. I had already beaten the game and gotten Knightfall so it didn't bother me at the time but I can see where people are saying it, as much as I am tired about it, it doesn't look as good as the rain. How was your experience with this?

Also when exactly can you do the Season of Infamy dlc? It looks kind of challenging for a first time playthrough but I think it could incorporate it's self midway through a normal play session. Or do you have to wait for the postgame section?

I've heard this has made a bunch of people's game on the PC stop stuttering so I wonder if it was intentional.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's Electrocutioner, not Executioner. :eng101:

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
that guy gets it. he really does.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I have a slightly more favorable view of Origins probably due to not playing most of it myself, but yeah, this is basically my opinion on the series too.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I know it's personal opinion and all but I cannot understand anyone who prefers Origins to the Rocksteady games or even just thinks it's comparable. Everything they changed or added sucked, and even the parts that were literally just Arkham City again were somehow worse. I don't know what they did to the combat but it doesn't feel as responsive as City even though it's so obviously just built upon that engine/framework. That all being said I really enjoyed the story in Origins, I liked that they actually tried to delve into Batman's character outside of "Can he save everyone?!" and "Man Batman sure refuses to kill people huh." They also figured out how to fit a bunch of villains into the story in a much more organic way than City where villains enter and exit the story kind of randomly. I just wish the part where you actually play the video game matched that quality.

Origins is still my favorite despite the huge flaws like the upgrade system and shock gloves mostly. And the riddler stuff sucked overall compared to the other puzzles in previous games

The new enemies were solid, including the DLC ones, and combat is still quite responsive, just different due to enemies actually being aggressive and it forces you to adapt to it and not just treat it like AC, which is something that tends to happen in sequels. The bridge sucked, but blame consoles and lack of memory since it was designed to help facilitate load times between sections of the city unless you did fast travel.

Its not as good as AC or Knight but its a solid game overall with nothing truly horrible about it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The un-climbable buildings, like the bridge, were used to mask loading and reduce the load of drawing as much of the city simultaneously.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Excuse the hypocrisy, but I had to say that I agree with all of this more or less. I forgot Origins' multiplayer. It was actually REALLY fun. The problem I had on PS3 was that matchmaking, especially when the game first came out and I cared to play it, sucked. I remember just leaving the thing going for a half hour and never getting a game. Months later, after CCH came out and they'd done more patches I got to play more matches. I like the multiplayer more than the campaign honestly. I was sad to see it go. It was simplistic, so it was easy to pick up, but also pretty fun. All 4 gameplay types felt unique too, which was interesting to me, cause looking at Origins it wouldn't have surprised me if Bane Gang and Joker Gang just differed in costume. But no, Joker is different from Bane and even Batman is different from Robin. Good stuff that they did nothing with sadly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

I finally got a response from Steam support about the free stuff I didn't get.

"We don't provide support for that title."

Great! 👍
Which games were not loaded into your Library? And how did you purchase the game? Through Steam normally?

late edit: is the 3rd Hatter bomb seriously hard to do with a KB/mouse or is it just me? I want to snap my board in half.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 24, 2015

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

SonicRulez posted:

Excuse the hypocrisy, but I had to say that I agree with all of this more or less. I forgot Origins' multiplayer. It was actually REALLY fun. The problem I had on PS3 was that matchmaking, especially when the game first came out and I cared to play it, sucked. I remember just leaving the thing going for a half hour and never getting a game. Months later, after CCH came out and they'd done more patches I got to play more matches. I like the multiplayer more than the campaign honestly. I was sad to see it go. It was simplistic, so it was easy to pick up, but also pretty fun. All 4 gameplay types felt unique too, which was interesting to me, cause looking at Origins it wouldn't have surprised me if Bane Gang and Joker Gang just differed in costume. But no, Joker is different from Bane and even Batman is different from Robin. Good stuff that they did nothing with sadly.

It really bummed me out to see so many people dismiss it out of hand just because "Batman doesn't need multiplayer". The asynchronous nature of the multiplayer made it really fun, that most of the people in a match were playing a third person shooter while the players playing Batman and Robin were playing a goddamn Arkham game. Pulling off an awesome takedown feels so different when there's another person on the receiving end rather than an AI, and the developers did some smart things to adapt the predator mechanics to a multiplayer setting. Tons of fun memories both of pulling off awesome takedowns and being surprised by having them done to me seemingly out of nowhere. I had this one really awesome moment in the mode where everyone has one life where both gangs went to this spot in the center of the map, and I managed to take out five of the six at once with three explosive gels I'd placed there ahead of time, and then spent the rest of the match just slowly hunting down this last guy waiting for an opening. It made me feel more like Batman than any single player moment ever has.

I'm pretty sure I spent more time with the multiplayer than I did the single player in Origins, and would have loved to see what Rocksteady would have done with those concepts or if Splash Damage were brought back a second time to polish and expand upon the multiplayer, rather than just ignoring the mode entirely for Knight.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Also when exactly can you do the Season of Infamy dlc? It looks kind of challenging for a first time playthrough but I think it could incorporate it's self midway through a normal play session. Or do you have to wait for the postgame section?

The missions unlock as you go through the main game. Hatter is available to chat at the GCPD after speaking with commissioner Gordon in the clock tower. League of Assassins unlocks after you do the Detective Mode sequence on the Arkham Knights crashed car, basically as soon as you unlock the Batmobile for the second island.

I've yet to go through enough of the game again on a fresh file for the story beats for the next two, but Croc and Freeze open up when the 'City of Fear' main quest hits 48% and 60% IIRC. Guessing, I'd say all 4 should be available before cloud burst, certainly after it.

I do like how the games in the Arkham series always get ranked in a different order by everyone. There is no hive mind declared best, nor worse. Well... maybe other than Origins Blackgate.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
They should really make that Superman-Buster suit as a final farewell gift to the community. They were almost there with Cold, Cold Heart:

I'M A BIG DUMB IDIOT WHO LEECHES IMAGES BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH IT'S 2015 I DON'T KNOW ABOUT IMGUR SOMEHOW. FURTHERMORE, BLUHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Really digging the BvS suit, and still butthurt that none of the new vehicles have a transform mode, rendering them useless outside of races. Tried out the 2008 batsuit, but a) he looks way too thin and b) he has double shoulder pads, and the top layer is constantly getting stuck in an up position, so it looks weird. I hadn't played the game since release, so I made a new save and decided to do a final playthrough now that all of the story dlc is out. Performance has significantly improved on PC, so right now it's a wildly different, and better, experience.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 27, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Origins is a lovely expansion pack by a team that doesn't understand anything about what made the Arkham games good. New gadgets? How about a gun that shoots ropes, so you can just inverted takedown two or three enemies for free from the other side of the room with no consequence or risk? Combat changes? What if we added a generic devil trigger type meter that just makes you completely ignore enemy weapons and armor, turning the game into mindless button mashing to kill everyone like people always accuse the Arkham games of being? Rocksteady made traversing Arkham City really fun by letting you grapple basically anything so you could launch yourself from building to building and quickly glide through the city, so how about we just make half the buildings not grapple-able so that you're just brought to a sudden halt and have to find somewhere else you can launch from? Also model a giant loving bridge with nothing on it put it right in the middle of the map so players are forced to cross it a million times. Freely selectable upgrades so you can just focus on what you care about and ignore the batmobile stuff health upgrades? gently caress THAT, SKILL TREES BITCH. ALSO LOCK THE CRITICAL STRIKE UPGRADE BEHIND A SIDE QUEST THAT'S LIKE 75% OF THE WAY THROUGH THE GAME.

I genuinely like Origins even though I agree that before Knight came out, it was easily the weakest game in the series. Now though, I'd rank it higher than Knight. It's mechanically weaker sure, but Knight just has so many loving problems. Origins at least had an interesting story and some solid boss fights. I've played Origins several times but I've only beaten Knight the once.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Arkham Knight is the best game in the franchise and Origins is so disappointing I'd go so far as to rank it as an outright bad game. Have fun doing fifty grapples to cross a pointless-rear end bridge a bunch of times though.

That being said I did really like the artstyle and Roger Craig Smith's Batman performance. Arkham Knight's batsuit is fuckin' baller though, maybe the best I've ever seen.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 25, 2015

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
Yeah it's so good it makes AA's and AC's batsuit look as dated as Adam West's.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, since Origins and Knight I can't stand to look at the AC and AA costumes. Those pants! And remember this is coming from someone who couldn't take his eyes off how lovingly rendered Origins Bat's codpiece was.

Also I've said it before but it's really difficult to go back to combat and stealth encounters with, like, three or five guys.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does this game still poo poo itself on PC?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It's less likely to now but it seems like for some people it still does.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DOOP posted:

Does this game still poo poo itself on PC?

As someone who has had a pretty lovely PC experience overall, I am actually getting a much more responsive and solid play. It's not perfect, and I don't think it ever will be, but it's a lot better than it used to be. You'll really just have to get in and see, as it seems to be different for everybody.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I tried to play a friend's copy of arkham city (steam library sharing) on the PC but whenever i launch the game I get a .net framework error.

The internets tell me that it might be tied to my Nvidia card, but I haven't the slightest idea.

I own Asylum, City, and Origins all on ps3 but the system itself is close to death as I was getting single digit framerates with Origins even indoors at the start of the DLC.

Also, thanks for telling me to wait on the season pass - there's a flash sale marking it down to twenty bucks on PSN!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Narcissus1916 posted:

I tried to play a friend's copy of arkham city (steam library sharing) on the PC but whenever i launch the game I get a .net framework error.

The internets tell me that it might be tied to my Nvidia card, but I haven't the slightest idea.

I own Asylum, City, and Origins all on ps3 but the system itself is close to death as I was getting single digit framerates with Origins even indoors at the start of the DLC.

Also, thanks for telling me to wait on the season pass - there's a flash sale marking it down to twenty bucks on PSN!

its not worth $20

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Don't get the season pass

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you're adamant on getting the season pass at least look at the full list of DLC and see how much individual bits are. If you can get the combat map packs for cheap I'd suggest those at least, but buying the pass outright is probably too much.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

They'll be a discounted COmplete version in a few months don't bother

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So Season of Infamy was a bit less poo poo than the other DLCs, I thought.

I like the League Assassins and their multi-hit attack. I guess this was Rocksteady's nod to the martial arts guys from Origins?

I like that they had the marginal courage not to rehash the Freeze fight form City. I really thought they were going that way, but turns out they didn't. On the other hand, instead we got to fight some more tanks. That whole scene makes no goddamn sense if you do it in the postgame, with both Knight and Slade gone.

I like the Mad Hatter's setpiece. Even if its stupid arbitrary unique fail condition makes absolutely no sense. Well, okay, the whole conceit doesn't make any sense from the guy's stated moral perspective but I guess there's a reason they don't call him the Sane Hatter.

I didn't like that all the missions were these short-rear end generic encounters made up of mostly the same stuff that was used in the main game. Croc, for all the fuss, is just a reskinned Albert King. The Freeze mission is just two predator encounters and some tanks. Hatter is just an irritating (if admittedly Actually New) minigame and three ordinary brawls. League is just a looooooooong-rear end trail-following and some fights, although they did have a new enemy type so that's something I guess?

I also didn't like that, after six months and being the first piece of DLC that fits into the main campaign, it isn't integrated AT ALL beyond the missions all showing up at different points in the plot. They even made an entire new separate wing of GCPD just so they could avoid having to add new villain shittalk for Hatter, Ra's and... well, Croc might've been a bit of a stretch but come on. They don't count for Knightfall either, when they really should.

The most important thing that I like is that they finally patched the trophy for getting every Predator Takedown, so I got it the first time I did a regular Silent Takedown on a guy. Finally got that Platinum.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

For some reason all the villians stopped talking poo poo to eachother during and after I played the season of infamy stuff post game

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The League guys had multi hit attacks? Huh. Completely missed that. Which is especially ridiculous since I don't recall ever being killed by them, only the ninja sword chicks in the final encounter. I had to play on NG+ (since the drat Nightwing glitch) to see the Season of Infamy. Made Croc a bitch as well.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Just finished getting the Arkham Asylum Batmobile trophy and jesus christ this is the WORST car in the game. The handling feels too soft to cut corners or brake in the tracks, the speed of the car is too fast even with the afterburner on, and even though every other DLC batmobile drives and feels the same, they're decent compared to this crap.

Oh and I just found out Rocksteady added more trophies for the AR challenges to "extend the gameplay" so yay.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
You know you don't have to get all the trophies, right? You can put the game down when you're not enjoying it anymore.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Pirate Jet posted:

You know you don't have to get all the trophies, right? You can put the game down when you're not enjoying it anymore.

Counterpoint: F-Zero GX story mode chapter 7 on very hard :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also I assume you meant too slow? Because it seems like it's loving slow from the one test run I took it on.

• Locked thread