Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Khizan posted:

Sorry, but this is unforgivable. The glaring CGI Jabba and all that stuff? Fine, sure. I can cope. Greedo, though? That is a hill I am prepared to die on.

Whatever. I don't like it either but I put up with it. Certainly better than watching them waffle about for twenty years kinda not really at all changing it to appease people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Anyone get any Star Wars related stuff for Life Day? I got a copy of the new edition of How Star Wars Conquered the Universe, which I'm eager to dive into after having really enjoyed The Secret History of Star Wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My dad got me the Star Wars equivalent of Guinness World Records as a humorous joke present.

I got my brother one of those Lego Microfighters - I got him the AT-AT one; he got me the Millennium Falcon one (still sitting on my desk) last year - as a humorous joke present (it's a bit of a family tradition).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I... bought myself some stuff for the X-Wing tabletop game. Got the starter box a month or two ago, played a couple games, fell in love with it, then spent a little over a hundred euro on a starfield game mat + second starter box, A-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Interceptor, and TIE Fighter blisters.

And then my SA secret santa got me an adventure book for the Force & Destiny RPG.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I got a couple of Lego Star Wars sets from my wife and a bunch of cool stocking g stuffer Darth Vader stuff as well. Then my in laws who know I love Star Wars went nuts and bought me a couple of the larger figures, some Star Wars Hot Wheels and wall art.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I got my brother a little Tie Fighter model and a copy of Tie Fighter on Steam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got the art of the force awakens book, and holy crap some of the ideas they were throwing around for the michael arndt script loo k amazing. Underwater death stars, jedi hunters, death squads, it looks incredible. I was also fascinated following the creative process and seeing how things evolved from the original script to its final form.

I also got a darth vader toaster

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I was given the Darth Vader comic tpb. My first new EU thing. And this PS4:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Vader's little chain always looked so out of place to me.

I suppose it could be the leash that Tarkin leads him around on!

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 26, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

remusclaw posted:

Vader's little chain always looked so out of place to me.

I suppose it could be the leash that Tarkin leads him around on!

It's the thing that keeps his big rear end cloak from slipping down and tripping him up.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I looked it up after posting that, it looks like they changed his cloak situation after New Hope, more of a Superman tucked into his clothes deal from Empire up. It was the 70's, we're lucky he didn't have an amulet on the end of it and a v neck showing off his hairy chest.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 26, 2015

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I ended up with the Lego millennium falcon, a first order mug and two little Star Wars micro machines. Star Wars seemed to be the hot Christmas item; all my cousins and nephews seemed to have some sort of star wars gift, like bb8 or action figures or light sabers.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
My parents bought me two Star Wars Big Dog shirts.

Yeah.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Bought myself a die cast first order stormtrooper, and also got a bb8. It does not handle wooden floors well.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Just got back from watching and I enjoyed these new Star Wars, and hope to see more Star Wars like these ones.

Didn't get anything Star Wars for Wookie Day but I got my brother a Kylo Ren coffee mug.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also got this Darth Vader shirt that has a thing sewn into the lining which plays the Imperial March when you press it, so you use it when you go into a room.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

I also got this Darth Vader shirt that has a thing sewn into the lining which plays the Imperial March when you press it, so you use it when you go into a room.

to be quite frank, this is the nerdiest post I think I have seen on SA, and I love it!!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Constant Hamprince posted:

Reading 'Aftermath' because I'm a garbage man that loves tie-in bullshit and I have to say I'm glad that the author ditched the old-EU habit of making up Star Wars-y sounding equivalents to real world phrases.

That's good! But does he instead use phrases that are too real world, like Earth sports analogies and stuff?

That's something that often pulls me out of this kind of fiction: seeing idioms that don't seem like they would reasonably have come about in a far-flung culture of space-faring dirt famers or whatever.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Especially since there's grav ball, which is literally SPACE FOOTBALL. And there was an entire book about it. In the new canon.

And somehow it was good. (By which I mean enjoyable, not 'zomg part of the literature canon')

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I got the art of the force awakens book, and holy crap some of the ideas they were throwing around for the michael arndt script loo k amazing. Underwater death stars, jedi hunters, death squads, it looks incredible. I was also fascinated following the creative process and seeing how things evolved from the original script to its final form.

I really loved that aspect of the book too, seeing what ideas changed throughout the course, what were always there (the Millennium Falcon flying through the super star destroyer on Jakku seems to have been one of the earliest ideas from just a few months into development), and what stuff lines up with some of the spoilers/rumors we got over the years (the Jedi Hunters being one of them).

Keiya posted:

Especially since there's grav ball, which is literally SPACE FOOTBALL. And there was an entire book about it. In the new canon.

And somehow it was good. (By which I mean enjoyable, not 'zomg part of the literature canon')

I remember the author saying he liked Friday Night Lights and then asked Lucasfilm if he could write a Star Wars version.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I have a minor variation on a question that's often asked in this thread: I have a long solo drive ahead of me, and I was thinking of listening to some Star Wars. What's the least worst audiobook in the new continuity?

I know people have said that Aftermath works better in audio format than on the page, but I'm guessing there's a better choice.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

After a bored Rebels binge, I bought myself the Rise of the Empire collection and just finished Tarkin. Long story short, nobody in the story has a personality or a voice, and I didn't like anything else about the novel either. Inexplicably, it made me feel like re-reading the Thrawn trilogy again.

I'm hoping A New Dawn will be better. I've liked Miller's work before.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Siivola posted:

After a bored Rebels binge, I bought myself the Rise of the Empire collection and just finished Tarkin. Long story short, nobody in the story has a personality or a voice, and I didn't like anything else about the novel either. Inexplicably, it made me feel like re-reading the Thrawn trilogy again.

I thoroughly enjoyed what James Luceno did with Darth Plagueis and so I bought Tarkin a couple months ago to read on a plane. It was just so... bland and boring. It had one or two decent enough scenes, but most of it was just rigorously and aggressively mediocre. Haven't yet decided in what direction I want to go next with the new canon stuff... I've heard good things about Lords of the Sith but I don't really know how enjoyable the concept seems to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't read Tarkin but everything I've heard about it makes it sound like it should have been either kept as a Legends book (probably not practicable given the timescale) or cancelled and Luceno given an opportunity to write something completely new in the new continuity. You know, it sounds like it only came out at all because not publishing it likely would've breached Luceno's contract.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Didn't get any Star Wars stuff for Christmas. Did convince my brother to buy Battlefront when it was on sale.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Thwomp posted:

He could always be back for flashbacks.

Things that still bug me: was Kylo really serious about wanting help from Han before offing him? It seemed sincere but he did then run him through. There was no reaction from him afterwards either.

Also, R2 waking up all of a sudden is weird. It's weird for a droid, a mechanical device, to refuse to power up in a world where restraining bolts exist to override their programming. Someone in another thread mentioned he woke up when Rey was in the room so maybe another piece of evidence that Rey is Luke's daughter?

R2 was meditating on the force for all those decades. When Han died he knew there was no way of redeeming Kylo Ren so he had to give up Luke's location.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

i guess Artoo could have been hacking imperial archives to find the rest of the map if you want an explanation that makes sense with what we are told in the film, but I'm guessing it will be a while before the new EU really digs into how this map came about because so far they are determined not to give much post-RotJ details and why it is like a Life Day egg hunt finding pieces of it. Then in 30 years we will have a movie come along to show us who stole the map and upend all the other stories and Kyle Katarn games about stealing the map first.

As for Tarkin, I did like lil Wilhuff having Disnet villain 1 percenter parents.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I did think it was weird how the whole map plotline got dropped in favor of attacking Starkiller Base, and then suddenly, boom, Artoo wakes up and just so happens to have the rest of the pieces. Would have been cool to see them complete the map in the next movie. One of the pictures in the Art of The Force Awakens book has a blurb that talks about how the scuba diving expedition to the Death Star wreckage would have been to uncover maps to the missing Jedi. Wouldn't that have been interesting? But they had to put Mark Hamill in there otherwise the fans would have lynched him.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Reading between the lines, all they really needed was a hi-res galactic map to correlate with the missing piece. They didn't have one handy at the Resistance base, but Snoke assumes that once BB-8 is in their hands, it's just a matter of time before they find Luke.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thwomp posted:

Things that still bug me: was Kylo really serious about wanting help from Han before offing him? It seemed sincere but he did then run him through. There was no reaction from him afterwards either.

On a second viewing, when I knew what was about to happen, his intention there seemed a LOT more clear. "I know what I have to do [to complete my fall to the dark side, which is to cold-bloodedly murder someone who loves me]. But I don't know if I'm strong enough [to overcome what's left of the good side in me long enough to take the couple of steps to you and then cut you down]. Will you help me [by walking right up to me and pressing your torso against my lightsaber so all I have to do is get up the resolve to flick a switch and then bang, the deed is done]?"

At least that was my reading of it. Could be completely off-base.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I agree. He was being completely sincere, he just had very dark intentions behind his words. Han is an old man with a pistol, Kylo is powerful enough to freeze blaster bolts in mid-air and toss people aside with a flick of his wrist. He doesn't need to lure Han into hugging distance just to kill him. He was deeply afraid and needed help to go through with it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

i guess Artoo could have been hacking imperial archives to find the rest of the map if you want an explanation that makes sense with what we are told in the film, but I'm guessing it will be a while before the new EU really digs into how this map came about because so far they are determined not to give much post-RotJ details and why it is like a Life Day egg hunt finding pieces of it. Then in 30 years we will have a movie come along to show us who stole the map and upend all the other stories and Kyle Katarn games about stealing the map first.

According to JJ Abrams in an interview, R2 has the map because he downloaded it off the Death Star in A New Hope because the Empire for some reason had a map of all the Jedi Temples (which were what the various points on the map all were). Though this obviously doesn't explain why Kylo Ren doesn't also have all that info leftover from the Empire.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I did think it was weird how the whole map plotline got dropped in favor of attacking Starkiller Base, and then suddenly, boom, Artoo wakes up and just so happens to have the rest of the pieces. Would have been cool to see them complete the map in the next movie. One of the pictures in the Art of The Force Awakens book has a blurb that talks about how the scuba diving expedition to the Death Star wreckage would have been to uncover maps to the missing Jedi. Wouldn't that have been interesting? But they had to put Mark Hamill in there otherwise the fans would have lynched him.

I especially would have liked that because it would have been an additional element that I could choose to believe was taken from The Glove of Darth Vader, the true Episode 7 :colbert:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I would say his earlier conversation with granddad's head pointed me in that direction as well as to how I read his conversation with Han.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

According to JJ Abrams in an interview, R2 has the map because he downloaded it off the Death Star in A New Hope because the Empire for some reason had a map of all the Jedi Temples (which were what the various points on the map all were). Though this obviously doesn't explain why Kylo Ren doesn't also have all that info leftover from the Empire.

In that case it's not really a map to Luke but to "the first Jedi temple" they were talking about.Meh, seems silly since it's not like the early Jedi had w foolproof way to beat the dark side. But they can play it as Luke just being a baby and hiding.

The more I think about it the logical way for Rey to be tempted by the dark side is through her abandonment issues so I guess that makes the Luke's daughter plot point more likely. drat shame.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

The more I think about it the logical way for Rey to be tempted by the dark side is through her abandonment issues so I guess that makes the Luke's daughter plot point more likely. drat shame.
For all we know, her parents went to train at Luke's academy but then never returned because they got murdered by Ben.

Positive thinking, yo. :shrug:

Edit: Oh man wouldn't it be funny if Luke killed her father? :haw:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 27, 2015

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

Chairman Capone posted:

According to JJ Abrams in an interview, R2 has the map because he downloaded it off the Death Star in A New Hope because the Empire for some reason had a map of all the Jedi Temples (which were what the various points on the map all were).

I had this idea last night as I was falling asleep and I was all excited to come post it here but you guys beat me to it. Glad to see JJ has confirmed that this is the right track though. I was trying to puzzle out why Luke would have left this route anywhere the Empire would have access to it, much less R2 or Max Von Sydow. So I thought it might be a sort of archaeological treasure map of early Jedi sites. The Empire destroyed the Jedi Archives and erased all their information from the Galaxy in the Purge, so it makes sense that they would be the only ones with access to information on Jedi historical sites (and this same idea came up in the EU before). So presumably Luke/allies broke into that archive at some point and erased the last bit of the trail when he stole the rest of the data? If that were true, it would explain why his friends thought he'd be headed there. It wouldn't explain why R2 only has the first part of the map, though . . . Maybe he removed it there so that the Resistance couldn't just take the info from R2 and track him down right away.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I just finished A New Dawn and enjoyed it immensely. Together with the short stories, it made the price of The Rise of the Empire worth it. It was all-around solid and unlike in Tarkin, this time all the familiar characters sounded like themselves. Miller's a good author.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Siivola posted:

I felt the same way which sucks because i loved his vader novel and his pelegus novel. hell I loved him show how early vader slowly grew comfortable with what he was and how lovely the suit was.

Powered Descent posted:

On a second viewing, when I knew what was about to happen, his intention there seemed a LOT more clear. "I know what I have to do [to complete my fall to the dark side, which is to cold-bloodedly murder someone who loves me]. But I don't know if I'm strong enough [to overcome what's left of the good side in me long enough to take the couple of steps to you and then cut you down]. Will you help me [by walking right up to me and pressing your torso against my lightsaber so all I have to do is get up the resolve to flick a switch and then bang, the deed is done]?"

At least that was my reading of it. Could be completely off-base.

I agree with this. they even hint at it alot throughout the movie before hand.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

How long do we need to spoiler tag this poo poo? Did any of you nerds not see the movie yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

How long do we need to spoiler tag this poo poo? Did any of you nerds not see the movie yet?
Just being the nice, polite Star Wars thread.