Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

It hasn't been 100 years since the start of the game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
It's de jure Andalusia in the CM and Old Gods starts.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I remember that game, by end of the game the Emperor(who was himself a eunuch) could have replaced his throne with a beanbag chair filled with the testicles of his enemies. We were so busy trying to cut each other's balls off that it took us a while to notice that we had lost Armenia to a mercenary company because the doux had forgotten to pay his bills.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Meet the Banu Taghlib sultanate, the new and improved Abbasid clowncar!

They started out as Sheikhs in Baghdad and carved out their own kingdom when the Abbasid empire imploded. They just managed to reconquer Byzantine Spain just as the Aztecs have landed.

EDIT:

I spoke too soon! :(

Vichan fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 25, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I recently got back into this, started a game as the Kalbids in Sicily. I've done well for my family, defeating the Hautevilles and declaring myself Sultan of Sicily, and even seizing an opportunity at a moment of Byzantine weakness to successfully invade and conquer Greece (I installed a cousin as the head of a merchant republic based in Constantinople). My eventual goal, however, is to take Italy so that I can use it as a launching-point to strike at the heart of Europe and spread the light of Islam to the infidels.

Well, I'm encountering major clowncar problems here. The Pope, a beggar on the streets of Rome (which I have conquered and converted its population to Shia Islam), keeps declaring crusades, and my terrible allies in the Middle East and North Africa can't figure out how to send their reinforcements across the Mediterranean to help me. This leaves poor ol' me with my levies of about 40K to deal with endless swarms of tens of thousands of Christian crusader knights.

How do I smash Christianity enough to end the Crusade, as well as Catholicism, as a means of warfare?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DrSunshine posted:

I recently got back into this, started a game as the Kalbids in Sicily. I've done well for my family, defeating the Hautevilles and declaring myself Sultan of Sicily, and even seizing an opportunity at a moment of Byzantine weakness to successfully invade and conquer Greece (I installed a cousin as the head of a merchant republic based in Constantinople). My eventual goal, however, is to take Italy so that I can use it as a launching-point to strike at the heart of Europe and spread the light of Islam to the infidels.

Well, I'm encountering major clowncar problems here. The Pope, a beggar on the streets of Rome (which I have conquered and converted its population to Shia Islam), keeps declaring crusades, and my terrible allies in the Middle East and North Africa can't figure out how to send their reinforcements across the Mediterranean to help me. This leaves poor ol' me with my levies of about 40K to deal with endless swarms of tens of thousands of Christian crusader knights.

How do I smash Christianity enough to end the Crusade, as well as Catholicism, as a means of warfare?

This is why I very rarely toss the pope out on the streets. I prefer to force him into becoming a vassal instead. I've never had a vassal pope call a crusade on me.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Honky Dong Country posted:

This is why I very rarely toss the pope out on the streets. I prefer to force him into becoming a vassal instead. I've never had a vassal pope call a crusade on me.

I've done that with the Caliph, but how do you get a vassal Pope as a non-Catholic ruler?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

I've done that with the Caliph, but how do you get a vassal Pope as a non-Catholic ruler?

Wouldn't that be to somehow get hold of the Duchy of Latium and then press your claim on Rome as a De Jure vassal?

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Tell Estonians to kill a Danish baron in Hamburg and the whole empire will want in on the fun.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
Gavelkind succession still seems a bit buggy. I had settled my nomad as feudal, and while I was passing out my 400 titles my leader died.

My new leader got basically zero "full" counties. I got every county in the capital dutchy, but all the cities and temples went to my siblings.

Edit: and it appears ticking warscore doesn't apply to taking these back. So I have to march my army into Khiva for cities in Spain.

Freakus fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 25, 2015

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DrSunshine posted:

Wouldn't that be to somehow get hold of the Duchy of Latium and then press your claim on Rome as a De Jure vassal?

That or a straight up subjugation CB. I most often have vassal popes as Jewish khazaria. I find that subjugating the pope before I settle as feudal makes life as a new Jewish kingdom a lot easier. It also helps if you're settling in Jerusalem because you've already broken the back of the Sunni clowncar.

E: to clarify, the last time I used a nomad subjugation against the pope it still took Rome from him but he kept his other county. I then gave him back Rome to smooth things over a bit and from then on kept my chancellor there. So in the end I was Israel with the pope as a vassal.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 25, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

I remember that game, by end of the game the Emperor(who was himself a eunuch) could have replaced his throne with a beanbag chair filled with the testicles of his enemies. We were so busy trying to cut each other's balls off that it took us a while to notice that we had lost Armenia to a mercenary company because the doux had forgotten to pay his bills.

that is... fairly historical, at least in spirit.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Honky Dong Country posted:

I always wanted to do this. I always assumed you could either go full internal strife or even switch up who's doge/khan every now and then via elections or submitting to a demand for a new khagan. I bet nomad would be more fun for the non-ruler players since individual clans tend to have more teeth than patrician houses.

This is true. In the game I was in, I wound up subjugating Hungary, then having everyone else come help when the pope declared a Crusade for Hungary. We were all expanding in our own directions, which also gave the Khagan the opportunity to expand without worrying about handing things out to the lesser khans because hey, we already had all this land on our own merits.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I just had every type of assassination event fire against me from my Reagent Uncle

The last one was just him running in my room and trying to stab me to death screaming "WHY WON'T YOU DIE?!"

I survived cleaning bird poo poo off the roof, being left in the woods, a carriage accident, a poorly timed archery competition, and a stabbing all in 2 months. Got like 140 prestige and 20 piety out of it and a new reagent :)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

verbal enema posted:

I just had every type of assassination event fire against me from my Reagent Uncle

The last one was just him running in my room and trying to stab me to death screaming "WHY WON'T YOU DIE?!"

I survived cleaning bird poo poo off the roof, being left in the woods, a carriage accident, a poorly timed archery competition, and a stabbing all in 2 months. Got like 140 prestige and 20 piety out of it and a new reagent :)

that event chain is the best, even tough you have a 20% chance of dying during each assassination attempt

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Excelzior posted:

that event chain is the best, even tough you have a 20% chance of dying during each assassination attempt

I've never had it happen even though I've plenty of even 3 years old to 16 years and free to rule my kingdom regencies

Was a very cool surprise.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

A Handed Missus posted:

Tell Estonians to kill a Danish baron in Hamburg and the whole empire will want in on the fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNkpIDBtC2c&t=20s

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009
Does anyone have some suggestions for a easy(ish) second playthrough character? I last played this game a year or so ago and united Ireland as the Ua Chennesailligs. I've got all the DLC minus Charlemagne and Horselords, but I've never played a non catholic for more than like 20 minutes

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e : nvm

Harald Fairhair in Norway, or Af munso in Sweden.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Was going to pick up the latest xpac and some DLC since it is on sale, but the reviews are saying the seduction mechanic is broken, and some saying it is fixed. Should I skip the way of life xpac?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Iceatollah posted:

Does anyone have some suggestions for a easy(ish) second playthrough character? I last played this game a year or so ago and united Ireland as the Ua Chennesailligs. I've got all the DLC minus Charlemagne and Horselords, but I've never played a non catholic for more than like 20 minutes

How about a Muslim? The Fatimid Caliph or the Seljuks are big fun blobs.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Eltoasto posted:

Was going to pick up the latest xpac and some DLC since it is on sale, but the reviews are saying the seduction mechanic is broken, and some saying it is fixed. Should I skip the way of life xpac?

No. The added functionality is worth your wife and daughter getting banged by five dudes as soon as you look away. They've toned it down in patches, so it's not nearly as egregious as it used to be, but you will still have problems with your wife sleeping with some random count in the rear end-end of nowhere.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is the "Forbid to Lead Armies" button broken in CK2Plus? My guy seems to get called up for every stupid peasant rebellion and minor scuffle the realm gets involved in despite it being clicked. It's going to gently caress me over because after 5 years I haven't had a singular chance to stay home get an heir.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

YouTuber posted:

Is the "Forbid to Lead Armies" button broken in CK2Plus? My guy seems to get called up for every stupid peasant rebellion and minor scuffle the realm gets involved in despite it being clicked. It's going to gently caress me over because after 5 years I haven't had a singular chance to stay home get an heir.

Are you a vassal? Your liege doesnt care about that button if your in his commander ranks or w/e

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Eltoasto posted:

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I've only had unfaithful spouses maybe 3-4 times I've played, and that's probably 1 per dynasty. I didn't really play when it was rampant so :shrug:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if your spouse has Lustful, Deceitful or Attractive they will almost certainly cuck you

otherwise its a rare occurrence

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So my reformed Romuva holy order just single-handedly won a Great Holy War against four Catholic kingdoms. With no allies of their own helping them along, not even me. :stare:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I've only had unfaithful spouses maybe 3-4 times I've played, and that's probably 1 per dynasty. I didn't really play when it was rampant so :shrug:

Yeah me too I've been playing a lot this Christmas (I hate my parents) and I have only seen it once in around 200 years. To my characters anywya, every now and then I'll see a random lady courier with like lovers pox or something and I'm like you slut.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I miss Salic and semisalic consanguinity

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema posted:

Are you a vassal? Your liege doesnt care about that button if your in his commander ranks or w/e

Yeah, this is what the problem was. My character started off as a Commander.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

YouTuber posted:

Unless ck2+ changes it, leading armies doesn't have an effect on you getting an heir. Your sperm can travel great distances back to your court no matter where you are in the world, so long as you aren't imprisoned.
It does increase your chances of untimely death or becoming a vegetable though.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

TheBlackRoija posted:

Unless ck2+ changes it, leading armies doesn't have an effect on you getting an heir. Your sperm can travel great distances back to your court no matter where you are in the world, so long as you aren't imprisoned.
It does increase your chances of untimely death or becoming a vegetable though.

I'm pretty sure if your a woman leading armies it does make it impossible to get an heir.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Too Poetic posted:

I'm pretty sure if your a woman leading armies it does make it impossible to get an heir.

Maybe if the other commanders in the army have seduction focus they can give you a good tumble in the commanders' tent? :v:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

TheBlackRoija posted:

Unless ck2+ changes it, leading armies doesn't have an effect on you getting an heir.

CK2+ adds a fertility penalty for being away from court.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gently caress that moment when you're 98% warscore on a crusade, then your king dies of stress or something dumb and your progress resets to zero.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

TorakFade posted:

Maybe if the other commanders in the army have seduction focus they can give you a good tumble in the commanders' tent? :v:

That would be kinda cool.... gotta add that....
*scribbles down on note*

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

gently caress the "spearman vs tank" moment where, despite the odds, an opponent outnumbered 2 to 1 crushes your fledgling new kingdom's army

...I should really check the terrain before fighting

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

gently caress that moment when your ruler gets turned into a vegetable in his 20s from bumping his head in battle.

e: bonus points if he hasn't sired an heir yet.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress Venice.

Just fuckem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Drone posted:

gently caress that moment when you're 98% warscore on a crusade, then your king dies of stress or something dumb and your progress resets to zero.

that is why I never got into CK despite my best efforts, poo poo is wicked dumb

• Locked thread