Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Basic Chunnel posted:

Why be humble when you can just make poo poo happen that makes you feel good
The two are not mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ostentation is a good quality, esp when you've got like a million haters

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you can criticize Trips for many things but loving him some Motorhead is not one of them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah you can criticize Trips for many things but loving him some Motorhead is not one of them.
Indeed. He and Batman know the score.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
He's a loving geek

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

He's a loving geek

but enough about Batman

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Is there a list or something out there that breaks down when wrestlers have quit / been future endeavored / repackaged or whatever from the WWF/E?

I ask because I'm doing he whole Raw Attitude era watch thru and I'm curious to see what happened to some wrestlers that are featured that just vanish.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

freeranger posted:

Is there a list or something out there that breaks down when wrestlers have quit / been future endeavored / repackaged or whatever from the WWF/E?

I ask because I'm doing he whole Raw Attitude era watch thru and I'm curious to see what happened to some wrestlers that are featured that just vanish.

wikipedia, pretty much. profightdb also may be more useful/convenient.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Imagine RIc Flair was actually competent with money, he managed to keep his first marriage together and his whole high flying, wheeling dealing was just a character and he didn't blow a load of cash drinking and partying. What year should he have retired?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

freeranger posted:

As far as the WWE Undercard goes up until around 2003 or so, 99% of the time the answer is "drugs", leading to:
--Death/paralysis
--Causing death or paralysis
--Just plain sucking too much to stay on television
--Russo (and any combination of the previous)

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 26, 2015

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ultragonk posted:

Imagine RIc Flair was actually competent with money, he managed to keep his first marriage together and his whole high flying, wheeling dealing was just a character and he didn't blow a load of cash drinking and partying. What year should he have retired?

https://youtu.be/Rg_teqyLNOs?t=13

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ultragonk posted:

Sometime in the mid 90s, honestly, WCW never did much with him after the nWo started.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He was great in Evolution and his retirement match with Shawn Michaels was one of the best send off moments for anyone ever so I wouldn't have wanted to see his entire WWE career disappear

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Ric Flair should have retired the night after he had his promo battle with Jay Lethal, in fact, maybe all of wrestling should have stopped after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVU0MW-IGrM

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

He was great in Evolution and his retirement match with Shawn Michaels was one of the best send off moments for anyone ever so I wouldn't have wanted to see his entire WWE career disappear

I think he could have come back for at least a managerial role, as this big returning legend whose shine wasn't dulled by having been in late period WCW.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I Before E posted:

Sometime in the mid 90s, honestly, WCW never did much with him after the nWo started.
Yeah, since his influence declined precipitously after he helped get Hogan into WCW and their dream match turned out to be disappointments, he may as well have left then. I don't see him being happy in a managerial role under Bischoff's direction.

By the way, if Flair had kept his first marriage together, Reid and Charlotte would never have been born.

VVV Edit: I'm sure Flair was making plenty to bum around the WWF midcard. As sad as it was, Flair's WCW deal was fine financially, even the downside he was collecting the many times they wrote him off television. But I'm assuming a world where not being in WCW at all meant he'd be raising his kids and probably investing in real estate. He could have gotten a head start on visiting sports teams just to pump them up by yelling at them.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 26, 2015

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
One of the saddest goddamned things I ever saw was that period where Flair was just faffing about the WWE midcard without being tied to anything. I think there was one before evolution, and I think one after? The feud with Carlito and the other poo poo like that... Flair was better than that.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

But we also got his TLC championship match against Edge where you actually thought, just for a moment, that old man Ric could actually win number 17. That alone made all the floundering worth it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dr. rear end posted:

But we also got his TLC championship match against Edge where you actually thought, just for a moment, that old man Ric could actually win number 17. That alone made all the floundering worth it

There was also Flair losing his poo poo at HHH (when they were still stablemates) for openly and blatantly ducking somebody who wanted a title shot in Charlotte, and challenging HHH himself. When he slapped on the figure 4 and HHH was selling it like a madman, I was losing it thinking Ric Flair could win one last world title.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There was also Flair losing his poo poo at HHH (when they were still stablemates) for openly and blatantly ducking somebody who wanted a title shot in Charlotte, and challenging HHH himself. When he slapped on the figure 4 and HHH was selling it like a madman, I was losing it thinking Ric Flair could win one last world title.

The combination of HHH losing a title match and Ric Flair beating someone with the figure 4 have to be in the low 0.01 percentile

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Should've won it one more time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Imagine how good it woulda been to see Flair go balls-out with costuming and promoes as World Champ in that time. I might have even excused the years of awful HHH stuff.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

The combination of HHH losing a title match and Ric Flair beating someone with the figure 4 have to be in the low 0.01 percentile

He was face for a day. I think you'll find the the Figure Four has a vastly higher power level when being done by a face. Same with his top rope dive's hit percentage really, when he's a heel he gets tossed, when he's a face, he takes the title from Harley Race on a cross-body. That title win is still why he went to the top until retirement I say, chasing that high of his second title win.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 26, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The whole Starrcade 83 program with Harley Race paying dudes to take out Flair and an injured Flair coming back with a vengeance owns.

Also apparently Vince offered Race a boatload of cash to no-show Starrcade, and when he was rebuffed, tried to shoot a single leg on Race and got stuffed :cawg:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

remusclaw posted:

He was face for a day. I think you'll find the the Figure Four has a vastly higher power level when being done by a face. Same with his top rope dive's hit percentage really, when he's a heel he gets tossed, when he's a face, he takes the title from Harley Race on a cross-body. That title win is still why he went to the top until retirement I say, chasing that high of his second title win.
A long time ago (like before I could watch old Flair matches on YouTube) I read a Flair interview where he said his first win was with a crossbody. That was an shocking to me since I only ever saw him gently caress up when he climbed the turnbuckle in WCW.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Remember, when a face he made that middle aged crazy bastard Terry Funk quit to the Figure four as well. Face Flair is simply better than heel Flair.

E: Don't get me wrong, Heel Flair is still better than anyone else.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 27, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Halloween Jack posted:

A long time ago (like before I could watch old Flair matches on YouTube) I read a Flair interview where he said his first win was with a crossbody. That was an shocking to me since I only ever saw him gently caress up when he climbed the turnbuckle in WCW.

Can someone post that photo of Flair and (I think) Jericho where he is upside down and airborne, but with such a normal pose and facial expression it looks photoshopped? Phone posting or I'd find it myself.

He just looks so relaxed and business-as-normal, while being upside down with his head five feet off the ground. It's always what I imagine when I think of the Flying Nothing from Flair.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I couldn't find what you were talking about but did find this, it's roles reversed.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was Karate Fighters really that big in the late 90s? I was in high school and I don't remember it at all, but it looks like they sponsored half the PPVs in 1997.

When did they stop having a French announce team at ringside? I'm seeing them in a bunch of '97 PPVs and I don't remember them being there at all after 2000 or so.

Was there ever a plan to make the Light Heavyweight title worth anything? Or was it just a kneejerk reaction to the Cruiserweight title? It's awarded for the first time at the DX PPV in December of '97 (today is 1997 Day) and I'm pretty sure Gillberg had it by the end of '98.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was Karate Fighters really that big in the late 90s? I was in high school and I don't remember it at all, but it looks like they sponsored half the PPVs in 1997.

When did they stop having a French announce team at ringside? I'm seeing them in a bunch of '97 PPVs and I don't remember them being there at all after 2000 or so.

Was there ever a plan to make the Light Heavyweight title worth anything? Or was it just a kneejerk reaction to the Cruiserweight title? It's awarded for the first time at the DX PPV in December of '97 (today is 1997 Day) and I'm pretty sure Gillberg had it by the end of '98.

I don't think the lt. Heavyweight was ever booked to be meaningful. It lived or died entirely depending on the talent attached to it and whatever storyline that wrestler was (or if) involved with at the time

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What exactly happened with DGUSA? How'd they lose support from the parent company? And why the gently caress did they leave the belt on Gargano for so long?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

What exactly happened with DGUSA? How'd they lose support from the parent company? And why the gently caress did they leave the belt on Gargano for so long?

my understanding is that gabe's contact in the main DG office left and so there was no relationship anymore

as for Johnny Wrestling idk he's a good wrestler and they wanted the company to have a clear identity as built around one person

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

my understanding is that gabe's contact in the main DG office left and so there was no relationship anymore

as for Johnny Wrestling idk he's a good wrestler and they wanted the company to have a clear identity as built around one person

Was DGUSA not profitable that it took so little to kill the relationship? I know most Indies don't make a ton of money, but I always assumed DGUSA's DVD sales were pretty decent?

I agree Gargano is pretty good, I guess I just never saw him as being a guy you build around...

Also are there any standout shows for them?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

You'd think DG's increased accessibility in the US would at least make him try to do something to rekindle the relationship. I really don't give a gently caress about EVOLVE (terrible crowds have a lot to do with it) but I like a lot of their guys that I've seen in PWG and I'd give them a shot if they actually brought DG guys over.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Was DGUSA not profitable that it took so little to kill the relationship? I know most Indies don't make a ton of money, but I always assumed DGUSA's DVD sales were pretty decent?

I agree Gargano is pretty good, I guess I just never saw him as being a guy you build around...

Also are there any standout shows for them?

It costs a ton to fly talent over from Japan and they could never draw live.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Isn't that historically a big problem with a lot of smaller companies? Once they reach a certain level of success they're obliged to fly in the best international talent, but that quickly becomes unsustainable...

I remember listening to an AoW podcast--might have been Ambrose, but I'm pretty sure it was Drew Galloway--saying he wasn't a good fit for Dragon Gate and the more time he spent there, the more he felt all the workers were marks. Anyone have any idea what he was talking about, specifically? He did imply the wrestling style there was too many spots and too little selling.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DGUSA only ran 1 or 2 shows when Galloway was working with Gabe (none with Dragon Gate guys coming over) so it's probably Ambrose

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
DG's also got a fairly small roster and tours Japan endlessly, so there's only so much they can do for a US branch without spreading too thin, and not many western wrestlers are used to working their style.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

what does mark mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ostentatious posted:

what does mark mean?

Carnival speak. Means target.