Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Niggurath posted:

It's a bit old, but it's amazing and it's a game called Stonekeep: http://www.gog.com/game/stonekeep
I kinda liked Stonekeep (to the point of writing a tips list for it) but I couldn't be arsed to finish it once I got to the final levels.

I recommend watching the excellent LP instead.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
This is the second time Indiegala's Incapsula decided to block the shizz out of me after a purchase.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

What do you guys recommend for First Person RPGs like Might & Magic X/Wizardry/Elminage/Legend of Grimrock style games?

I just came across Lords of Xulima and that looks like it fits the bill, how is it? Anything else I should be looking at?

If you don't mind an old-school look you could check out these two:
- Heroes of a Broken Land
- The Quest

Lords of Xulima isn't first person, though, only in combat. Apart from that I heard good things about it.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How does Dark Messiah of Might & Magic hold up gameplay and graphics wise?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone tried using a Microsoft Surface for gaming?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

-Blackadder- posted:

It is basically a prototype Dishonored, sans Blink. Make of that what you will.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

END ME SCOOB posted:

It is basically a prototype Dishonored, sans Blink. Make of that what you will.

That's a really poor comparison, those games are not very similar at all.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Okay, lemme flesh that out: same devs, and a lot of stages that can be approached in a buttload of ways depending on your playstyle, leaving you an open ended mission-based first person action RPG.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:gifttank: Just a reminder that we have a Gift Train running at the moment! The next couple of people to join up and quote this post in the thread get a tiny prize! :haw: :gifttank:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 27, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Okay, lemme flesh that out: same devs, and a lot of stages that can be approached in a buttload of ways depending on your playstyle, leaving you an open ended mission-based first person action RPG.

Dishonored isn't an action RPG nor is Dark Messiah a particularly open-ended game where stealth is a major gameplay aspect, they're first-person games where you have a variety of powers you can use to mess with enemies but that's about where the similarities end.

Dishonored is all about multiple approaches and freedom to choose your gameplay style, DM is all about being an rear end in a top hat usings your boots, physics and the combination of the two.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

-Blackadder- posted:

What do you guys recommend for First Person RPGs like Might & Magic X/Wizardry/Elminage/Legend of Grimrock style games?

I just came across Lords of Xulima and that looks like it fits the bill, how is it? Anything else I should be looking at?
Like people are saying Xulima isn't technically first person. But its maybe the best Might and Magic 3 clone redone from an isometric view. Like the old Might and Magics its super crusty but there are some mods to pick and choose from if you like certain old crusty features but not others.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I still have two more people remaining in the MGSV toxx: Oxxidation and Tsyni.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/KotyDwa/

If you forget about this, I'm not exactly going to chase you to the ends of the Earth for this.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nettle Soup posted:

:gifttank: Just a reminder that we have a Gift Train running at the moment! The next couple of people to join up and quote this post in the thread get a tiny prize! :haw: :gifttank:
gently caress it - I'll throw in something as well.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Suspicious Cook posted:

Any time someone mentions Crypt of the Necrodancer, I feel compelled to second the recommendation. Please play this awesome video game and enjoy its awesome music.

Any time someone mentions Crypt of the Necrodancer, I feel compelled to find the answer if it kills me.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is a really good game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL6VX29ykxc

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

-Blackadder- posted:

Lichdom: Battlemage is pretty fun if you wanna blow up dudes for a few hours with pretty-looking magic spells without the restraints of mana, cooldowns, etc. The main campaign drags on for way too long and the story is incomprehensible as far as I can tell, but the combat is really fun. I think it's going for $5 most everywhere now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Lords of Xulima isn't first person, so it fits it poorly.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
After going through all my gifts and buying all the poo poo I want for myself, I am left with 14 dollars on a gift card.

Steam Thread: Best game for under 14 dollars.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

drat you for posting this, this always make me laugh.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Nettle Soup posted:

Sure, I'm in on this.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Just bought my girlfriend Bubsy.

She likes cats.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

WickedHate posted:

Just bought my girlfriend Bubsy.

She likes cats.

I don't know if I should applaud that commitment or go "why not Nekopara?"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Because she also makes constant cat puns and Bubsy is king of cat based video games in that area.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What's the problem with Way of the Samurai 4? Its loving impossible to load and apparently you have to manually add a bunch of .dll files to the game folder. Was this just a really, really lovely port that I foolishly bought?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Because she also makes constant cat puns and Bubsy is king of cat based video games in that area.

Cat puns are good, grats on your cool GF.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gently caress

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

What's the problem with Way of the Samurai 4? Its loving impossible to load and apparently you have to manually add a bunch of .dll files to the game folder. Was this just a really, really lovely port that I foolishly bought?
No.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

-Blackadder- posted:

There's also Starcrawlers, which I believe is still early access but looks promising. Sort of a sci-fi turn-based Grimrock from what I've seen.

Non-Steam option: the Etrian Odyssey series on DS is anime Wizardry, but really really good. Start with 1 to see if you like the formula, skip to 3 for some QoL changes.

Non-Steam option 2: Generation Xth. Japan-only future-highschool anti-monster squad vs. horrible tit-shooting beasts...but also pretty drat good. Sorta Persona/Shin Megami-like.

And of course if you haven't played W7 or 8, totally do so. Might poke around for the Wizardry thread too - should be some recs in there. Phone posting or I'd squeeze the link in here.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

The Quest is pretty good but its not on much of a sale.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

spider wisdom posted:

There's also Starcrawlers, which I believe is still early access but looks promising. Sort of a sci-fi turn-based Grimrock from what I've seen.

I backed the kickstarter for Starcrawlers and I'd say it's pretty decent. I've not played it for tens of hours but I dip in every few updates to see how it's getting on.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

spider wisdom posted:

It is plenty of fun, and while the updates aren't exactly coming in trainloads, each is substantial enough to prove the devs are really serious about making the game work, and some have revamped the classes enough that a replay is often worth it.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Gort posted:

Anyone tried using a Microsoft Surface for gaming?

I have a i5 Pro 4 and had a first gen i5 Pro before that and they both worked well for what I needed. Even 3D games as recent as this year run decently on medium settings at 720p, which looks fine on the smaller screen. They're great little computers for a wide variety of uses.

This guy on YouTube shows games running on different Surface and Surface Book models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQR5m4GuIpM

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Blattdorf posted:

If you forget about this, I'm not exactly going to chase you to the ends of the Earth for this.
Unlike Konami when it comes to Kojima being associated with MGS5, huh?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

spider wisdom posted:

Non-Steam option 2: Generation Xth. Japan-only future-highschool anti-monster squad vs. horrible tit-shooting beasts...but also pretty drat good. Sorta Persona/Shin Megami-like.

Not quite Japan-only any more -- two of them got rolled into a single remake under the name of Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy, which got an English-language release. Unfortunately it's only available for the Vita and if you were going to buy a Vita for weird niche RPGs you probably already have because that's like half the system's library.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Someone write me words about Grim Dawn because I'm hovering over the add to card button.

This is probably a little late, but I'll give it a go. It is basically Titan's Quest 2. There's no mythology, but the story, if you care to read all the lore spread throughout the game, is pretty well done. There are 6 classes. You pick one on your first level up and have the option to combine it with another at level 10. Each class has the potential to synergize extremely well with each other. To get an idea what the skill trees look like go here for a site that allows you to plan out your entire build, though please note that it's not yet updated for the max level 85. There is also a Devotion system where you gain Devotion Points by cleansing shrines located throughout the game and can use those points to unlock nodes on constellations, each that provide their own themed bonuses. For example unlocking the Turtle constellation will provide you with Defensive Ability, Health, and Armor Absorption bonuses.

As far as mechanics go, there's a whole game guide here that goes in to all the mechanics, some which can be a little confusing at first.

The maps are not randomly generated, but a few side dungeons can appear in different locations. There are two rogue-like endgame dungeons where town portalling is not allowed and if you die you are warped back to town and the entrance is blocked off (you'll need to craft another key), and the dungeon is reset. There are also a few smaller semi-hidden challenging side areas that you will need to find or unlock (with dynamite), strewn throughout each act.

There is a huge crafting system in the game. You upgrade your gear by finding components that provide specific bonuses and can be added to specific equipment. There are somewhere around 80 components. These same components are used to craft equipment, some which you need to find blueprints for.

Here is gameplay of a level 50 Sorceror (Arcanist + Demolitionist) in Act 4 from Build 28.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ag7dqi_YY0

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

What is this from? It looks interesting.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

iGestalt posted:

What is this from? It looks interesting.

Conquest of Elysium 4. people were talking about it before so i didn't think it needed a caption for once

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'll second the Grim Dawn recommendation, it has good meaty combat, tons of class combinations, a billion million item mods and item tinkering mechanics, and at this point, a pretty substantial campaign (with lots of post-post game if that's your arpg bag).

If you've burnt out on D3 and you're looking for something else to mess with, I'd give it a go. Stick with it past the early game/first area, that is the oldest and it shows, it gets more interesting as you progress.

Also the lore/world is actually pretty darn neat, it's post-apocalyptic in a fairly cool way. Think the Weird West or Shadowrun style alt-earths. Basically chthonic horrors are real, they broke out and ruined everything, and now you're dealing with the aftermath.

fe:

Could anyone give an opinion on where Sorcerer King is at now? http://store.steampowered.com/app/241990

I skipped it at launch, but it's at a price where I might pick it up if it's solid after patches etc now. From what I read early on, the basic concept was solid but the game was too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Don't buy Sorceror King. Don't support Brad Wardell.

• Locked thread