Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

What is then? Not being snarky, honestly. I just want some more metroidvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Trees and Squids posted:

Strider is great.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hopefully that bloodstained game igarashi is making now is good, because even the best indie metroidvania games don't match up to the best of either metroid or castlevania

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I only like my games borne by blood or stained with blood.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Guys help me figure out the next game I want to get. As of right now, I'm deciding between Dying Light and Bloodborne. I know Bloodborne is definitely more hyped, however I've yet to get into a Souls game so I'm not sure if it's a good one to start with. Also I totally dig open world poo poo, which I heard Dying Light falls into that category, Bloodborne I have no idea. Another factor is I think some big DLC is coming out for Dying Light, and there will be an ultimate-ultimate edition coming out in another couple of months, so it may be better for me to wait for that.

Other suggestions are welcome, I generally like RPG and open world stuff. I have Fallout 4 and The Witcher already.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bloodborne was my first Souls game and it turned out quite well for me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you've played souls games before and couldn't get into them, bloodborne probably isn't gonna change your mind. I read you wrong, bloodborne is fine for a first souls game and it's really good

dying light is an open world game and by all accounts very good, but wait on that one because they're releasing an enhanced edition with all the stuff packed in early next year

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah my only experience with Souls is I played Dark Souls 1 for like 15 minutes and died immediately to that first big monster. I didn't quit because difficulty or anything, I was just messing around because at the time I wasn't able to access New Vegas which I was currently playing. I'm definitely interested in them. I suppose in that case I'll get Bloodborne first and just pick up Dying Light when the enhanced edition drops.

e: also what's the deal with Destiny? It looks like it would be pretty fun, but I've seen mixed opinions. Is the PvP aspect any good?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodborne is a great first souls game because its so much simpler in rpg menu stuff than souls games and the combat is much much faster.

dying light is a great coop game but a mediocre single player game. the dlc in february will more than double the size of the game, add battle buggy cars, and make coop more likely due to renewed interest.

destiny is an mmo that pretends not to be so don't play it unless you wan to play a game about doing the same thing over and over again. the pvp wasn't very good, or even the strongest part of the game imo, get cod or tlou for pvp.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 27, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Playing Fallout 4. I loved 3 and never played New Vegas.

The graphics don't feel that much better than 3 at all and holy loving poo poo for a AAA game you'd think they would hire some decent voice talent instead of whatever regional improv troupe they decided to get. Good lord.

Still fun though so far but it just feels like a 3 expansion way more than a new game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

e: also what's the deal with Destiny? It looks like it would be pretty fun, but I've seen mixed opinions. Is the PvP aspect any good?

the shooting is really good, but I found the pvp stuff to be bad. part of it is that you take in your weapons and levels from pve and, while everyone's stats are all equalized, people that have played longer still have a massive advantage in that they will have access to their class skills and weapons with unique traits. new players are at an inherit disadvantage. I also just never liked the maps or how the class skills play out in pvp. you have much better options than destiny if you're just looking for a competitive shooter; destiny is primarily an mmo style of game

the base game of destiny is utter garbage and you should never buy it like that, but most people swear by the taken king making the game actually good and worth playing. if you buy destiny, get the legendary edition that packs the base game, the current season pass content, and the taken king together

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is the PvP aspect any good?

NO

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Trees and Squids posted:

Nah it's good but it's a one-man game and it kinda shows and has some weak spots (a couple areas aren't that fun and the boss fights fall off pretty quickly and are a chore) but it will definitely scratch that Super Metroid itch good if you approach it with those old-school sensibilities. Also if you're the kind of person who cares about that stuff it's really impressive that literally one dude did all the design/programming/music/graphics for the game and while it surely could have benefited from a bigger team the scope of the game makes it clear that he put some serious loving heart & soul into it. Sounds to me that it would've much more up your alley than Rogue Legacy or whatever else people are recommending. Also I know it's been on a few platforms and it's likely you probably played it, but if you somehow skipped it I absolutely recommend Guacamelee because that's probably the other closest thing to your classic Metroid formula on PS4.

Also please just play Bloodborne because first of all if you wanted to get creative you could argue that it fits into the "Metroidvania" genre as a not-quite-linear action RPG and second it's probably the main reason a lot of people picked up PS4s anyway and I think it would be weird not to at least check it out. If you played other Souls games and couldn't get into them Bloodborne may or may not appeal to you for different reasons -- its still really hard and has some weird, opaque gameplay systems, but its also a lot more fast-paced than the Souls games when it comes to combat and does more to encourage an aggressive playstyle. Also the stat/level-up system has been streamlined a lot, especially compared to Dark Souls 2, and it's generally more straightforward when it comes to building a character.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Other suggestions are welcome, I generally like RPG and open world stuff. I have Fallout 4 and The Witcher already.

Metal Gear Solid V is definitely worth a look. I was enjoying the witcher 3 but haven't touched it since I got MGSV.

I know it's not RPG but it is a game you should enjoy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Guys help me figure out the next game I want to get. As of right now, I'm deciding between Dying Light and Bloodborne. I know Bloodborne is definitely more hyped, however I've yet to get into a Souls game so I'm not sure if it's a good one to start with. Also I totally dig open world poo poo, which I heard Dying Light falls into that category, Bloodborne I have no idea. Another factor is I think some big DLC is coming out for Dying Light, and there will be an ultimate-ultimate edition coming out in another couple of months, so it may be better for me to wait for that.

I'd say Bloodborne without hesitating, but try downloading the demo for Dying Light to see whether it even holds your interest. I was just about to buy DL but saw the demo, and the game could not have felt more boring and unfulfilling to play.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Trees and Squids posted:

I think the "no it isn't" was referring to it being better than Super Metroid and SotN in some ways, not it not being a metroidvania game.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Get the DLC for Witcher 3.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got the uncharted ps4 system bundle for xmas, and it came with a code for 20% off select items on the ps store, how do I tell which items it will work with?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I finally beat Laurence in Bloodborne and it feels really good to take that bastard down, especially because my friend who is way better at these games than me had a lot of trouble with him. Man his last form is god damned terrifying. Now I just have to manage to be that loving Orphan and then I can finally go beat up the boss of the game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you've played souls games before and couldn't get into them, bloodborne probably isn't gonna change your mind. I read you wrong, bloodborne is fine for a first souls game and it's really good

dying light is an open world game and by all accounts very good, but wait on that one because they're releasing an enhanced edition with all the stuff packed in early next year

I guess I can't speak for everyone but I had a lot of trouble getting in to Demons Souls but the pace and rally system of Bloodborne had me instantly hooked. I can sort of get into the Souls games now, but i still vastly prefer Bloodborne and I can totally see people getting into it more than the other Souls games.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Until Dawn is pretty spooky. Looking at the butterfly effect chart I'm already a good chunk through the game, but it feels like the plot hasn't even started yet and no one's come close to dying. Does all of the action happen over the course of 90 minutes or something?

As someone that generally can't handle horror, I'm determined to make it all the way through this thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I had a friend that could never get into dark souls because he felt it was too slow, but he did like bloodborne because it was much faster

so yeah there is a chance people that don't like previous souls games will see something in bloodborne, depending on what their problem with the series is. they are all very much the same kind of thing tho

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Steve2911 posted:

Until Dawn is pretty spooky. Looking at the butterfly effect chart I'm already a good chunk through the game, but it feels like the plot hasn't even started yet and no one's come close to dying. Does all of the action happen over the course of 90 minutes or something?

As someone that generally can't handle horror, I'm determined to make it all the way through this thing.

Nah people will die trust me, unless you somehow manage a 100% "correct" playthrough for your first time. If you want to give a spoiler as to where you are in the game, I can certainly give you an idea of how far you are.

Also people literally die in the intro

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Nah people will die trust me, unless you somehow manage a 100% "correct" playthrough for your first time. If you want to give a spoiler as to where you are in the game, I can certainly give you an idea of how far you are.

Also people literally die in the intro

Yeah that's the intro though. I'm only just starting chapter 3, and as I said the plot's just starting. It was just the butterfly choice chart that seems really far along.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

SiKboy posted:

On a related note, I like rogue-lite games like Rogue Legacy and Binding of Isaac, what other games on the PS4 have a similar "procedural generation but some progress is carried over" mechanic?

Try The Swindle which is on sale now for $7.50. It's similar in style to Rouge Legacy in that upgrades persist through death, but you playing as a ring of thieves in a steam publish Victorian London, instead of a family line of warriors.

citizenlowell fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 27, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

In 7 hours I will play my PlayStation 4 for the first time.

lmbo I got Destiny:TTK for it. what's good for 10 bucks on the store that's a jrpg or metroidvania
Shadow Complex is free on the PC at the moment if you can run Xbox 360 games from 2009. :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah that's the intro though. I'm only just starting chapter 3, and as I said the plot's just starting. It was just the butterfly choice chart that seems really far along.

There's 10 chapters and you haven't reached any where people can actually die yet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The game runs until dawn, if that helps

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Speaking of Bloodborne being good for non-souls fans, what about for people who like Dark Souls? I am a big Souls fan and have put alot of hours into Dark souls 1 and 2, so I should like bloodborne, but is there still enough people playing it?

I also want to get Battlefront, I seem to here mixed reviews for it. I am a big fan of starwars and the original battlefront games and right now seems like the best time to get it.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The game runs until dawn, if that helps

Yeah, it's basically an hour game time per chapter isn't it?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Shnag posted:

I also want to get Battlefront, I seem to here mixed reviews for it. I am a big fan of starwars and the original battlefront games and right now seems like the best time to get it.

I have an unhealthy love for Star Wars stemming back to childhood, like many. Surely this would be enough to fuel interest in even a mediocre game? Maybe, but Battlefront for me was okay for like ten minutes and then I was wondering when it would ramp up and it just never did.

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

Shnag posted:

Speaking of Bloodborne being good for non-souls fans, what about for people who like Dark Souls? I am a big Souls fan and have put alot of hours into Dark souls 1 and 2, so I should like bloodborne, but is there still enough people playing it?

I'm on the fence about Battlefront myself (its actually stopping me from buying the bundle with it specifically but I don't want CoD, and I don't want Uncharted again :( ), but the testimonials from other souls fans seem to be that bloodborne is definitely worth the time. I'm picking up a PS4 in the next week and Bloodborne will almost certainly be my first purchase outside of Rocket League.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Steve2911 posted:

That doesn't mean anything. The earlier butterflies actually gain new pages/wings the further the game progresses.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dr Sun Try posted:

That doesn't mean anything. The earlier butterflies actually gain new pages/wings the further the game progresses.

Oh ok that'll be it then.

As I said, cool and spooky game. It's done the 'lol it was your arsehole friend/an animal all along' jumpscare about 18 times so far.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shnag posted:

Bloodborne's extremely active right now because of the recently released Old Hunters DLC. It's definitely a Souls game at heart, but it shuns the defense-heavy turtling strategies of the last two games in favor of maneuverability and smart dodging.

You really can't go wrong with buying it, it's still far and away one of the best games on the console.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shnag posted:

You should love it, it's very similar to a Souls game. The main difference is that in Bloodborne it rewards you for playing aggressively than defensively. If you get hit, you can regain much of your health back if you immediately attack during a small period after being hit. Your mobility options are much faster and there's only one shield in the game and it sucks, so you use guns for parries instead.

Basically, it's a Souls game with some minor things that might throw you off if you've played the previous Souls games a lot but it shouldn't be a problem adjusting to it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Speccing your character has also never been easier in a Souls game than in Bloodborne. Just start with VIT/END and go with STR or SKL for your build. The metagame aspect has never been easier, even though the game itself can be hard at times.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Ythere's only one shield in the game and it sucks

actually there's a new shield in the dlc, so now there's two shields that sucks

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

New shield and the Bowblade make the most dangerous parts of Ebrietas a loving joke though. You can headshot her with the bow from far enough away that the charge will almost always whiff, and as long as you have a reasonable amount of stamina you can tank an entire laser barrage with the shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Shnag posted:

It depends on what you like about the souls games. If you are classically a lightly armored str or dex player in dark souls you will love bloodborne. If you are mostly into exploring really cool areas and conquering difficult content then you will love bloodborne. If you are really into the build variety of dark souls or playing any other build than speedy melee then bloodborne might not be for you.

• Locked thread