Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Can we ignore the literal idiot's opinions about Calvino and forums user mallamp
no,sry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Corrode posted:

I bought someone Revenge for a Secret Santa this year because the guidance she gave was "buy me something you think is great!" I finished the Diving Pool collection this morning too. I love Ogawa's prose and how unsettling everything is without there being a lot of normal horror or supernatural stuff going on.

I can't find this Revenge for a Secret Santa. Am I hallucinating this post? I looked three different places.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Suggestions for next month's BOTM?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
City on fire might be good. A couple people in here have mentioned that they're planning to read it.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
That may be better for a January/February book - it's good, but good lord is it long.

I got for Christmas an Everyman's Library collection of War and Peace (three smaller volumes with that sexy binding and the tassels for bookmarks) and The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth, which I am pretty sure I saw recommended in this thread.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
They should read Bernhard's Correction

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

City on fire might be good. A couple people in here have mentioned that they're planning to read it.

I would be thrilled to discuss this book more

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tree Goat posted:

They should read Bernhard's Correction

I just got this for Christmas. I've read The Loser and Woodcutters, which I both like a lot, but I stopped halfway through Extinction for some reason. It just wasn't angry enough for me I guess. It seemed a lot more subdued than the other ones of his I've read, but I really like his more manic style.

I also finally jumped on the Knausgaard train, and got Rigadoon by Céline and Ferdydurke by Witold Gombrowicz too. Who knows when I'll actually have time to read all of these.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It doesn't matter because no one's going to read it unless it's a goon written sci fi book.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I usually miss them because I usually only cruise my bookmarks, but since we have talked more about them in this thread I read the Coates book (although I didn't post much sorry), and I wanted to read Voices from Chernobyl but it's a long wait at the library. I also own Gentlemen of the Road but this was my last month and I had to tackle Gravity's Rainbow alongside the usual traveling for the holidays.

It seems like the people who would read the good books are all rogue loners who do their own thing (or are just lazy and forgetful like me).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cloks posted:

TBB won;t read a 900 page book unless its about lemoncakes and dwarfs

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

THE RECOG
NITIONS WIL
LIAM GADDIS

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There's a lot of problems with the Book of the Month. In addition to the relatively small population that reads literary fiction, you lots of other problems.

• New books are a problem because you run into library waiting lists and lots of people depend on the library for their books.
  • New books are also a problem because some people who want to buy the books don't want to drop the money on a new book.
  • Old books are a problem because lots of people don't want to re-read them and, in some cases, they're already tired of discussing them.
  • Books are often long(ish) and reading time is often limited, which can be especially problematic if people are having trouble acquiring books for the reasons above, or are already in the middle of something else when the month starts.
  • There's no discussion in the Book of the Month threads, so nobody's going to be tempted to read the book to join in the discussion.

I'm thinking you might be better off doing the BoTM as a bi-monthly thing instead of a Monthly thing(Book of Two Months?). That or maybe announcing books a month in advance so people have more time to get the book, more time to read the book, and more time to clear their reading schedule for the book. Pick something for January and do City on Fire in February. Then at the end of January pick the book for March, etc, etc. Maybe more lead-in time will help the people who say they're interested in a book actually get around to reading it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Khizan posted:

I'm thinking you might be better off doing the BoTM as a bi-monthly thing instead of a Monthly thing(Book of Two Months?). That or maybe announcing books a month in advance so people have more time to get the book, more time to read the book, and more time to clear their reading schedule for the book. Pick something for January and do City on Fire in February. Then at the end of January pick the book for March, etc, etc. Maybe more lead-in time will help the people who say they're interested in a book actually get around to reading it.

Excellent post

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about a comic book of the month, that way everyone can just watch the movie.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Does Steinbeck count for this thread because I just finished East of Eden and drat that was a beautiful book

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Neil Gaiman can gently caress off fyi

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah I hate that guy's writing

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Sandman really resonated with me when I was a sad 18 year old, but I can't defend his writing much beyond that.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Windeye by Brian Evenson

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

fez_machine posted:

Windeye by Brian Evenson

Windeye aka a farting butthole

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Quandary posted:

Does Steinbeck count for this thread because I just finished East of Eden and drat that was a beautiful book

You are not wrong. That book had some of the best characters I've read in literature.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Neil Gaiman can gently caress off fyi

he's not that bad, just not my cup of tea

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
If it doesn't poo poo itself in the last 100 pages, this is one of the books you should read in 2016: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26196562-love-letter-in-cuneiform. The description on goodreads is boring, but it has some really good bits about cloned Hitler, Stockholm syndrome and race of immortal supermen -- all in a historical family novel

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Burning Rain posted:

If it doesn't poo poo itself in the last 100 pages, this is one of the books you should read in 2016: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26196562-love-letter-in-cuneiform. The description on goodreads is boring, but it has some really good bits about cloned Hitler, Stockholm syndrome and race of immortal supermen -- all in a historical family novel

are you saying that things like "cloned Hitler" and "race of immortal supermen" are things that make a book sound good? because that makes it sound like some kind of alt history scifi garbage

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

he's not that bad, just not my cup of tea

I admire his creativity but I feel like he obsessed with myth and legend and fantasy because he has no idea what it actually means to be a person. He says so many things but he never says anything true or profound about the human experience.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I finally got a hold of Voices from Chernobyl, so I'm gonna get into that next year.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I admire his creativity but I feel like he obsessed with myth and legend and fantasy because he has no idea what it actually means to be a person.

that is a very bizarre assumption to make

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I admire his creativity but I feel like he obsessed with myth and legend and fantasy because he has no idea what it actually means to be a person. He says so many things but he never says anything true or profound about the human experience.

I'd disagree to the extent that he manages a few profound moments in Sandman. But yeah I didn't have to scroll up to know which author you meant.

Personally I think he can be genuinely brilliant but in most of his stuff he's coasting on talent and skill and not pushing himself. He has a couple genuinely brilliant works, a couple neat concepts, and a bunch of books that only seem brilliant if you never read anything else.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

I finally got a hold of Voices from Chernobyl, so I'm gonna get into that next year.

I read Zinky Boys last week and I think it might actually be better

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

that is a very bizarre assumption to make

Everything I have ever read of him is completely devoid of insight into actual people. He is not even doing the tired cliche of using myth to analyze who we are as people. He is using myth to analyze myth.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Can you refer to Amanda Palmer's husband by his proper title, Amanda Palmer's husband

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Can you refer to Amanda Palmer's husband by his proper title, Amanda loving Palmer's husband

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Everything I have ever read of him is completely devoid of insight into actual people. He is not even doing the tired cliche of using myth to analyze who we are as people. He is using myth to analyze myth.

sure, but there are billions of books that are not about insight into actual people. that doesn't mean the authors don't "know what it means to be a person". I don't particularly like Gaimon, the couple books I've read by him were fun and kind of interesting but not great. but that just seems like a really oddly personal thing to say and strange conclusiont to jump to.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

sure, but there are billions of books that are not about insight into actual people. that doesn't mean the authors don't "know what it means to be a person". I don't particularly like Gaimon, the couple books I've read by him were fun and kind of interesting but not great. but that just seems like a really oddly personal thing to say and strange conclusiont to jump to.

Oh word if I see him then I will apologize for getting too personal

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

"yo gaiman, I'm really sorry I said you were oddly obsessed with myth for myth's sake, instead of just stating that you're a hack"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

"yo gaiman, I'm really sorry I said you were oddly obsessed with myth for myth's sake, instead of just stating that you're a hack"

I wouldn't even call him a hack. He's an exceptionally clever writer, his writing just lacks humanity.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh word if I see him then I will apologize for getting too personal

I'm not saying you are you are getting too personal in the sense of you are doing some Bad Thing. I'm saying that the conclusion you have jumped to doesn't really make any sense to me. Maybe I don't know what it means to be a person either, but just to be clear, what does it mean to be a person, according to you?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I was invited to see Gaiman give a talk earlier this year (not having read one of his books since American Gods). He didn't strike me as especially odd, lost in his head, or anything like that. I seem to have grown out of his writing, but go see him talk if you have a chance and have enjoyed his work. It's a decent time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What it means to be a human: if you hear a fart, you laugh