Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16280957/2750-E-1ST-AVENUE-Vancouver-British-Columbia-V5M1A7

This house is right on a defacto highway.

$1,398,000

quote:

Location, Location, Location! This centrally located home sitting on 1/7 acre (50 X 124) is minutes from Downtown, freeway, schools, shopping and transit. Livable house and workshop can be rented. Build now or hold as neighborhood is developing quickly. Appointments anytime.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/lora-pecchia-renzullo-09626742

The face of vancouver's economic engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16434147/1828-GRAVELEY-STREET-Vancouver-British-Columbia-V5L3B3

$1,488,000

Somebody is going to buy all of this poo poo. I'm not even mad.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The best part about this is how the realtor just used fuckin' streetview for the listing, couldn't even be arsed to get in a car and take some nice pictures.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

That listing lol

"A livable house."

Perfect. You know, being able to live in it is my number one priority when choosing a house to live in. And facing a highway you say? How convenient.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

That listing lol

"A livable house."

Perfect. You know, being able to live in it is my number one priority when choosing a house to live in. And facing a highway you say? How convenient.

Well, the mistake you're making is assuming that most people looking at those listings are also looking for a house to live in. They're not. They're looking for house equity.

Being livable is like one of those little bonus nice to have things but it's not something that'll make or break the decision to buy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That listing lol

"A livable house."

The agent majored in separating dumb vancouverites from their money.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone seen the big short yet? It feels very Vancouver.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This is totally anecdotal but Whistler feels wayyyyyyyy emptier this year than Christmas last year. I spoke about it with a few people working retail and they've all said everything is down a lot this year too.

Which is extra meaningful because last year there was no snow at Christmas and this year has been amazing for snow so far.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

That listing lol

"A livable house."

Finding a liveable house for under 1.5 mil in vancouver is pretty remarkable, to be fair.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
You fuckers better buy now while the market is reasonable. I'd hate to be on the outside looking in if this ever turns into a bubble.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Has anyone seen the big short yet? It feels very Vancouver.

I read the book and the saw the movie, both are really good.

also had Margot Robbie in a bubble bath.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/3y8p2j/do_you_think_buying_an_apartmentcondo_in/

Holy moly vancouverites are *dumb as gently caress*

quote:

Celda 17 points 21 hours ago
No, you are doing the math wrong.
If you rent, you are paying $800 a month and getting nothing in return except a place to live. That $800 is just gone.
If you buy $500K condo and get a $400K mortgage (for example), then now you're looking at $1,000 a month in mortgage interest, $150 a month in property tax, $150 a month in maintenance, etc. That isn't including the principal that you're paying off - that's just the money you're throwing away for nothing other than having a place to live.
And - then you have the opportunity cost of the money that you're paying into extra housing costs that you would otherwise have if you were renting. That extra $500 a month could have been invested into index funds getting you maybe 6 or 7% per year.
When we run the numbers, we are not coming out ahead even for a cheap condo that's 250K. A condo would have to be under 200K for it to be financially wise for us.

hey look it's reverse centaur

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What the gently caress is an index fund? That's like stock market poo poo? Aren't people always killing them selves over how risky the stock market is? How do you even DO investments? Nah, a condo is easy and safe.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How expensive are rents in Vancouver?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

etalian posted:

How expensive are rents in Vancouver?

Last report from the CMHC I read had Vancouver at 4th most expensive city to rent in Canada at ~$1100/mo for 2 bedroom apartments. Might have gone up a bit since then.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Furnaceface posted:

Last report from the CMHC I read had Vancouver at 4th most expensive city to rent in Canada at ~$1100/mo for 2 bedroom apartments. Might have gone up a bit since then.

Everyone I know there is paying that or more for 1 or 0 bedroom places. They've really been going up in the last couple years specially.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cultural Imperial posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/3y8p2j/do_you_think_buying_an_apartmentcondo_in/

Holy moly vancouverites are *dumb as gently caress*

hey look it's reverse centaur

I think that dude is actually saying that renting makes more sense, because you're throwing away more money on things that you're not getting anything from (ie. property taxes, maintenance) per month than you are renting.

If it were reverse centaur he would be bragging about how little he pays for his 200sq foot apartment and we're all the idiots for not buying back in like 2004 when we were 13 years old like he did.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

HookShot posted:

idiots for not buying back in like 2004 when we were 13 years old like he did.

Let alone the soon-to-be 2 year olds from 2014 who let themselves get priced out, or the fetuses due in the new year who will never know the pride of ownership because of a lack of (literal) vision.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Also: this is sustainable and I am a living, breathing creature capable of rational thought.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/SBarlow_ROB/status/681096733397532672?s=09

quote:

HSBC on Canada, “there is evidence that non-resource sectors have recently lost momentum.” https://t.co/21inc7fJjA

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

MikeSevigny posted:

I saw it for something like twelve bucks a pint at Rootcellar once. Even by local standards that's a lot for (admittedly pretty good) ice cream. I was surprised at the time that there wasn't much labelling on the product, either.

I hope she works something out, she always seemed very nice at the farmers market and I feel like most of the customers who want her really weird flavours just go to her directly anyway. I doubt the save on foods was ordering a lot of pine cone crunch to begin with.

My apologies for getting into "ice cream chat" so late in the housing mega-thread, but thought I'd add my comments. One of the challenges we have here in Ontario (Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs) are small-scale producers of ice cream not using irradiated spices. I doubt that this producer has access to a food irradiation chamber and enough Cobalt-60 to render the spices she uses (ie: pine needles) sterile. We had some challenges in the past where makers of 'organic' ice cream were picking wild parsnips, garlic, dandelion, etc... Which ended up having really high counts of fecal contamination (likely from deer or raccoon poop). You can't cook the spices as that ruins the flavor, hence where irradiation comes in.

Another challenge, is that mixing psychotropic (cold-loving bacteria) with ice cream (milk is an excellent growth medium for bacteria) can result in some pretty interesting bacterial counts a few months in during cold storage.

The CFIA also has a division that is really great in helping out small-scale producers get their labeling requirements up, and offer ways to save on money for all the lab testing of different products (which can go up to $500 per recipe). The ones I've worked with have gone out of their way to help some of my small bakeries get their nutritional content labels out, the templates, exactly what lab tests are needed, and so forth. If anything, the CFIA labeling requirements have gotten much more lax than they were prior to 2006. (Ie: it is no longer criminal to sell expired infant formula).

Sorry to hear she had some difficulty, but the labeling is there for a reason. We had some bad experiences a while back of food coming from overseas that gave us a real scare (think Melamine) and, uh... hmmm... well let's just say I won't buy food that comes from a certain country anymore until they really revamp their Quality Control.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

China, I bet he's talking about China

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Look how is a small business supposed to SURVIVE if it has to remove all fecal matter with irradiation? Also, that's atoms and these products are NATURAL.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Oilpatch Bust 2: Rise of the Machines

quote:

Add robots to the list of woes killing jobs in Canada’s oilpatch

Truck driver Craig Huzulak is unemployed after losing his job four times since December — the new normal in a Canadian oilpatch still reeling from a downturn.

Huzulak, 49, was working at a mine last year near Fort McMurray, Alberta, when crude prices plunged and work dried up. He lost two more positions in the following months and then had a job offer yanked at the end of June before he could even start.

In addition to the market rout, the father of two now worries about the self-driving trucks Suncor Energy Inc. is rolling out in its oilsands mining operations that will replace workers like him to save companies money.

“It’s really, really hard for heavy-equipment operators,” said Huzulak, who has driven trucks and worked on drilling rigs in Western Canada for 15 years. “There’s a lot more fear now that this might last longer.”

The burgeoning use of robots is one more reason there probably won’t be a quick jobs rebound in Canada’s energy industry as it grapples with cheap crude, tougher environmental controls, higher taxes and elevated costs.

The shelved projects and job reductions are helping to shore up the balance sheets of companies. They’re also a reflection of the upheaval weighing on producers’ stocks as they strive to keep projects competitive.

Jobs have disappeared as the U.S. crude benchmark tumbled 54 per cent from last year’s high to about US$50 a barrel. Unemployment doubled to 8.2 per cent in June from a year earlier in Alberta’s northern oilsands region. That may be just the beginning.

Canada will lose 185,000 positions due to the energy slump, according to projections from Petroleum Labour Market Information, a division of work-safety association Enform, in Calgary.

The industry had been a jobs machine, with more than 720,000 people directly and indirectly employed last year, according to the group. Employment in the country’s oil and gas, mining, forestry, fishing and quarrying industries increased 32 per cent in the last 15 years, compared with 22 per cent for jobs nationally, according to the federal statistics agency.

“The industry right now is simply thinking that we are in a new world,” said Greg Stringham, vice president of markets and oil sands at the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers. The group last month cut its outlook for the nation’s crude output in 2030 by 17 per cent.

Suncor, which eliminated 1,200 positions this year, plans to save $200,000 annually for each of the 800 truck drivers it replaces with autonomous vehicles by 2020, Alister Cowan, chief financial officer, said at an investor conference in June. Husky Energy Inc. is saving money with a walking drilling rig, Chief Operating Officer Rob Peabody said at the conference. The rig doesn’t need workers to tow it from one spot to another.

The replacement of workers with machines is on top of slower growth, as companies scrap or delay projects.

“We think because this environment is unpredictable, that we can’t afford to be building five different projects simultaneously,” said Harbir Chhina, executive vice president of oilsands at Cenovus Energy Inc., which has cut about 800 positions this year. Instead, “we build two of them.”

North American energy companies, and their stocks, are in for another tough year-and-a-half of low oil prices, as global supplies are poised to increase faster than demand with a wave of production set to come from Iran, said Sam La Bell, an analyst at Veritas Investment Research in Toronto. U.S. producers also have an edge over the Canadians in attracting investment because their oil is generally lower cost, he said.

“Companies are going to be reluctant to hire people back quickly,” La Bell said. “The trend line for North America for any of these swing producers is pretty much that anyone outside of OPEC can’t make money below US$60 in any steady way.”

The Standard & Poor’s/TSX Energy Index is down about 19 per cent since the beginning of May, compared with a 14 per cent decline for U.S. peers on the S&P 500 Energy Index.

Production forecasts may still be too high for Canada, as the world shifts away from carbon-heavy fuels with vehicles increasingly running on electricity, said Michal Moore, an economist and the director of energy and environmental policy at the University of Calgary. He predicts only half the Canadian jobs lost in the rout will come back in a recovery, because of slower output growth, consolidation among companies and machines replacing workers.

“The industry in a lot of different ways has fundamentally shifted, and there are a lot of dinosaurs left out there who don’t see it and can’t imagine it isn’t going to all work out,” Moore said.

That last lines feels like it could apply to more poo poo in this country than just energy companies in Alberta.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol schools are pushing so many rural kids into going for Heavy Equipment in CC, if they're talking about replacing their drivers by 2020 then the writing must have been on the wall for a while

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Perhaps 'Momentum' was the name of the designer drugs those captains of industry were consuming to give them delusions of relevance.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 27, 2015

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
lol foreigners robots are taking all the jobs :qq:

lotta idiots about to find out that automation isn't their friend

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
My tiny, barely solvent, manufacturing startup just brought in a set of top-line Japanese assembly robots to experiment with. The workers barely speak English but they aren't stupid, they know the writing is on the wall and I have to keep lying through my teeth to them. :smith:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Truly a hard knock life.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Guigui posted:

An informative post

Thanks for the insight, but I think you missed a couple keystrokes in this part:

Guigui posted:

Another challenge, is that mixing psychotropic
Maybe it's autocorrect's fault. Shouldn't it be psychrotrophic? (Thanks for making me learn a new word today)
Pretty sure HC and CFIA frown on putting mind altering substances in desserts.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

B33rChiller posted:

Thanks for the insight, but I think you missed a couple keystrokes in this part:

Maybe it's autocorrect's fault. Shouldn't it be psychrotrophic? (Thanks for making me learn a new word today)
Pretty sure HC and CFIA frown on putting mind altering substances in desserts.
I always thought the term was psychrophilic (=cold-loving), although I suppose psychrotrophic (=cold-growing) would be a term that makes sense.

Also I would love to see ice cream with psychotropic anything. I think a few DMT-pops would make family get-togethers a lot more interesting.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

FB posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I hope canada gets their own version of this

http://zenrus.ru/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wow, "Take Your Kid to Work Day" did not go as expected!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jm20 posted:

Picture

I bet the rent on it is outrageous.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Helsing posted:

Oilpatch Bust 2: Rise of the Machines

That last lines feels like it could apply to more poo poo in this country than just energy companies in Alberta.

The price crash for the energy will also encourage even more automation and other labor cost cutting measures for the energy industry.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

etalian posted:

The price crash for the energy will also encourage even more automation and other labor cost cutting measures for the energy industry.

Wouldn't the extremely high labour costs have already motivated automation as much as possible? There was even enough money flowing that huge capital investments would've been attractive if they had a sufficient payoff.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I hope the new Suncor trucks don't replace Albertans completely.

Maybe patches can add in features such as randomly punching strippers or whining when the truck gets thrown out the Calgary bar for bad behavior?

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 28, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

How difficult is it to understand the words "flood plain"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I want to build a house on a flood plain, but have it raised on stilts. That way when the floods come I can sit on the deck of my dry house, drinking a beer and looking smug as gently caress.