Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Roach Warehouse posted:

I have my first game of this coming up and was planning on making a droid smuggler with the pilot specialization. Is that a bad idea?

Also don't be the "I'll stay back at the ship, it's what my character would do" guy. Really, that's even more important than being good at only piloting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

ShineDog posted:

OK, we'll see how it goes. The teams NPC lovely broken astromech is the teams medic and I'm sure nothing can ever go wrong there.
Even if it does, hey, it's Star Wars. They all wake up a few hours later in a Wampa cave or the back of a van to the Hutt slave auction and have to escape, then go right back to what they were doing (maybe with a few of their favourite toys damaged/broken to teach them a lesson...).

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

homullus posted:

Also don't be the "I'll stay back at the ship, it's what my character would do" guy. Really, that's even more important than being good at only piloting.

Yeah in my group we're on our 4th ship. It's good to keep your pilot with you in case the bounty hunter decides he wants to go all Boba Fett instead of dicking around in a tramp freighter, so you don't have to go back to the ship to collect him.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Talkie Toaster posted:

Even if it does, hey, it's Star Wars. They all wake up a few hours later in a Wampa cave or the back of a van to the Hutt slave auction and have to escape, then go right back to what they were doing (maybe with a few of their favourite toys damaged/broken to teach them a lesson...).

Yeah, It's not actually a bad medic. It's had it's droid brain repaired at some point by patching bits of a medical droid brain and a B1 battledroid brain onto it so it's got a pretty varied skill set.

(There are downsides)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

homullus posted:

Yeah. 5xp gets you "Let's Ride" which is basically Quick Draw for ships, so when you idiots are running from the pissed-off Rancor, the pilot can Dukes of Hazzard his way into the ship's open pilot window and flick all the switches for a quick takeoff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I'm surprised that the lightsaber forms made it into FF's Star Wars game; I kinda expected it to fall by the wayside along with a lot of EU stuff.

By the by, searching for any given lightsaber form on YouTube produces the dorkiest stuff in the universe. Mostly videos of geeks with no martial arts experience whatsoever, twirling lightsabers in their bedrooms, imitating stuff they saw in books about kendo, with text overlays saying "This is Djem So" or whatever.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm surprised that the lightsaber forms made it into FF's Star Wars game; I kinda expected it to fall by the wayside along with a lot of EU stuff.

By the by, searching for any given lightsaber form on YouTube produces the dorkiest stuff in the universe. Mostly videos of geeks with no martial arts experience whatsoever, twirling lightsabers in their bedrooms, imitating stuff they saw in books about kendo, with text overlays saying "This is Djem So" or whatever.

Lightsaber forms are actually cannon again. In Rebels, a cannon source, the Inquisitor mocked Kannan during a fight for "relying on Form 3 to a ridiculous degree" or something like that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also the lightsaber forms make it easy to split lightsaber combat up among the various F&D careers into unique-ish packages, and FFG loves splitting things up into various groups so it's a pretty obvious fit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I never got how, among other quirks of the form system, Form V was split into two different aspects with different names. Does that originate from the KotOR video games?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

susan posted:

Lightsaber forms are actually cannon again. In Rebels, a cannon source, the Inquisitor mocked Kannan during a fight for "relying on Form 3 to a ridiculous degree" or something like that.

I don't think lightsaber forms have ever incorporated large projectile weapons...

susan
Jan 14, 2013

jivjov posted:

I don't think lightsaber forms have ever incorporated large projectile weapons...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Not much of a cannon if you ask me...but an excellent retort to my pedantry.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Halloween Jack posted:

I never got how, among other quirks of the form system, Form V was split into two different aspects with different names. Does that originate from the KotOR video games?

I think you mean Form VII, Juyo/Vapaad. The basics is that Juyo was this super loving aggressive style, one of the strongest in pure combat, and also insanely forceful. Most people who practicied it embraced anger in it, and fell to the Dark Side, so the Jedi 'restricted' it, until it became unknown, non-existant, banned.

Mace Windu, when studying the Vapaad creature, made his own lightsaber style. This style was Basically Juyo, but with more self discipline. You attack, and attack, and attack, but you never lose yourself. Juyo by this time was forgotten, so Vapaad became the new name of it. He was the only master of it, because only he could resist the temptation of giving in to anger.

This came about because when the Old Republic books were coming out, they had someone use Form 7. However, canon had established that Mace Windu MADE Form 7.

So retcons happened, and Juyo became a forgotten art that was Too Dangerous and only the Sith knew, that Windu rediscovered accidentally.

I think.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 27, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Nah, I meant Shien/Djem So.

Vaapad doesn't make much sense to me since Windu invented it, and he was the only one who mastered it without going nuts. That's just one guy's individual style. It also kinda reeks of a little kid reading about lightsaber forms and saying "Well I invented this new lightsaber form which is like the others but better, but it's risky because it makes you a super badass brooding lone wolf." Like when my little brother told me he invented a totally original superhero called the Golden Surfer.

I see that Wookiepedia includes all 7 forms in its "canon" section. Neat.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Eh, his life ended while he was insisting that he had to kill an old man rather than bring him in for justice because he was too dangerous, sounds to me like he couldn't quite control his anger as much as he would like others to believe.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Samuel Mother loving L Jackson tells you he invented a lightsaber fighting style, you nod and go sure.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I hereby invent the hateful 8th form of lightsaber combat, it combines all the other forms and is the best and knows all the martial arts and it can never die. Only Jacen Solo knows it. (I don't know who that is; my little brother invented him and that's how he spells it.)

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I like that each F&D career has access to a lightsabre style, it means that every jedi has access to a way to be kick rear end in combat.

The only issue is who gets what and the stat they assign as the special stat. It's funny that the form that is all about murdering the big nasty person is in the talky/knowledge career.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I like that each F&D career has access to a lightsabre style, it means that every jedi has access to a way to be kick rear end in combat.

The only issue is who gets what and the stat they assign as the special stat. It's funny that the form that is all about murdering the big nasty person is in the talky/knowledge career.

Totally legit. Everyone knows that all diplomats are actually spies and all spies are assassins. Of course the technique perfect for murdering one dude is used by diplomats.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Diplomacy is war by other means.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Weird that Niman is the best form for taking out the Big Bad; isn't it supposed to be the well-rounded boring form for all those un-PC-like Jedi?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Halloween Jack posted:

Weird that Niman is the best form for taking out the Big Bad; isn't it supposed to be the well-rounded boring form for all those un-PC-like Jedi?

Nah, that's Shii-Cho.

Niman is all about using the Force in combat.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
In practical terms the Niman Disciple specialization is a good pick for a lot of characters since it's the only lightsaber-centric specialization that offers a Force rating increase as part of it and it's got a good mixture of defensive bonuses and control via mixing Force powers into things. Shii-cho Knight is the most basic style in the sense that it doesn't have a stat-swap, it sticks with the default Brawn, and it's more about fighting crowds of goons all at once with some defensive/durability boosts though it doesn't have much ranged defense going for it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I assume that Soresu is the go-to defensive option? I'd be looking that way if/when my character gets a chance at a FaD spec. A lightsaber style seems like the only way I'd ever have a real effect in combat, since I'm rocking 1 brawn, 2 agility, and 2 willpower (so discipline-based anything is out too).

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Thanks for the pilot advice folks. A lot of it was things that I thought sounded fun for the character already, so I think it'll turn out just fine.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Hey thread I'm probably going to run F&D soon; first time for everyone involved. Important cliff notes before we do anything? People have been struggling to pick a freighter that fits the party with their budget, so I'm considering letting them get one that's a bit more expensive with some flaws.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Corbeau posted:

I assume that Soresu is the go-to defensive option? I'd be looking that way if/when my character gets a chance at a FaD spec. A lightsaber style seems like the only way I'd ever have a real effect in combat, since I'm rocking 1 brawn, 2 agility, and 2 willpower (so discipline-based anything is out too).

Pick the form that uses whichever of your Presence or Cunning is higher as its base stat, clearly, since all your other attributes suck.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The lack of reflect suggests that Makashi is a bad idea for the type of game we've been playing, sadly. Intellect is a secondary stat though, and Soresu has plenty of anti-gun tech.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

spectralent posted:

Hey thread I'm probably going to run F&D soon; first time for everyone involved. Important cliff notes before we do anything? People have been struggling to pick a freighter that fits the party with their budget, so I'm considering letting them get one that's a bit more expensive with some flaws.

May I suggest a Nova courier with the concussion missile launchers ripped out in exchange for an extra hardpoint and a price reduction? I have no idea why a civilian transport/courier has front/rear missile tubes, sure it has missiles in Star Wars Galaxies, but I always figured the Rebel Alliance added those.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Halloween Jack posted:

I hereby invent the hateful 8th form of lightsaber combat, it combines all the other forms and is the best and knows all the martial arts and it can never die. Only Jacen Solo knows it. (I don't know who that is; my little brother invented him and that's how he spells it.)

So is this the kaioken of lightsaber styles then?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ramba Ral posted:

So is this the kaioken of lightsaber styles then?

"His midichlorians... they're over 9,000!"

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Corbeau posted:

The lack of reflect suggests that Makashi is a bad idea for the type of game we've been playing, sadly. Intellect is a secondary stat though, and Soresu has plenty of anti-gun tech.

On the other hand Makashi is connected to the Mystic, which is maybe amongst the best of the F&D classes, with their Seer tree a) having a bunch of good sorta "generic" upgrades anyone can use, and b) allowing you to make almost a straight bee-line for two Force Rating improvements. Then you have their advisor tree which lets you be a pretty drat good party face, and you're more or less set.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

spectralent posted:

Send them to Honest Ugno's Quality Used Starships and let them pick up a ship that--unbeknownst to them--has suffered a Critical or two. Or maybe it used to belong to a wanted criminal and it will be subject to extra scrutiny by law enforcement.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Halloween Jack posted:

If you want to kill the big bad then Makashi is the one you want. It is a crit machine and crits are how you kill powerful things in one or two strikes. Makashi Strike has you rolling force dice with the attack and each pip is +10 to the crit roll, add that to a lightsabre with crit 1 and a couple of levels of viscous you will be taking off limbs and heads with ease.

Makashi on the other hand isn't very good against groups and has no range defensive options

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

spectralent posted:

Also, keep in mind that force powers are pretty unreliable (as in 50%+ failure rates) till c characters get a few more points if Force Rating.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Samuel Mother loving L Jackson tells you he invented a lightsaber fighting style, you nod and go sure.

According to Gregg Proops, Jackson was told, "just do whatever, we'll put in enemies in post."

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

nothing to seehere posted:

Also, keep in mind that force powers are pretty unreliable (as in 50%+ failure rates) till c characters get a few more points if Force Rating.

How many? 2, 3, 4 dice?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So how do I make a cool Jedi/Sith fight without one of my players immediately triggering 7 crits and insta killing them?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Nemesis 3 helps, but in a game as deadly as F&D, your best bet remains having flunkies so your cool opponent doesn't get dogpiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So how do I make a cool Jedi/Sith fight without one of my players immediately triggering 7 crits and insta killing them?

Give the enemy ranks in Nemesis. This makes them harder to hit in general and allows them to conveniently escape when defeated.