Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Takkaryx posted:

Which of the hero heavies would you guys recommend? The TBolt looks pretty good, but I have always been a fan of catapults.

Marauder Bounty Hunter. It's only available for cash money at the moment though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Repo Man posted:

Boar's Head is also the only none light that I can think of that benefits from ferro fibrous armor over endo-steel.

:psyduck: endo is always better.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Great Beer posted:

Yeah, this. There are situations where you should take endo and situations where you should take both. There are no situations where ferro is better than endo.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, this. There are situations where you should take endo and situations where you should take both. There are no situations where ferro is better than endo.

Field refits when your 3025 campaign rediscoveres ff and you desperately need that half-ton of weight savings to step out machine guns and put some real lasers on that phoenix hawk.

The benefit to ff is that it can be applied trivially in-universe. But in mwo, rebuilding your robot with endo steel is an instant process. So ffs only advantage doesn't apply here.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 27, 2015

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Why would anyone fix six machine guns to a King Crab

Why did this happen :negative:

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Paingod556 posted:

Attention all GIRL and Clan faction members

It's time

Welp, guess it's time indeed.

Requesting one invite to GIRL please, ingame name is saaesculus

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Paingod556 posted:

Attention all GIRL and Clan faction members

It's time

You know what to do GIRLs. Earn your place among the feminist legends.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Can I switch to GIRL for this event? All I have are Shadow Cats, though.

You'll be on a cooldown type thing on your contract for 72 hours, so by the time you could join GIRL it'll be too late. Sorry but :pgi:

Epsilon Plus posted:

Does GIRL have a doc to sign up in as well, or should I just politely ask for EpsilonPlus to be added and PMed with the necessary info?

Spreadsheets are strictly forbidden in GIRL. You've done exactly what you should do and someone will get to you eventually. maybe

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I think anyone in GIRL can invite????

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

I think anyone in GIRL can invite????

Yeah

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I want in GIRL as well. Name is Etreri

Lol

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

B-b-but what about super special rank privileges guys we need to keep guild bank withdrawal privileges to the elites only.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

B-b-but what about super special rank privileges guys we need to keep guild bank withdrawal privileges to the elites only.

I would never compromise the only thing in the world that makes us feel important.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I will never reveal the wu-tang secret.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Got the Centurion :toot:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

It's pretty frustrating watching your team run around like idiots, all chasing one enemy 'Mech while their last remaining light caps all the points and you lose. Seriously...like 7 guys chasing a Jager while a Cheetah capped everything, then wondering why we still lost.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Welp, along with the purchase of my second Timberwolf, I also picked up an Urbanmech. It's more fun than it has any right to be, but boy am I bad with it. I don't think I've gotten a match score higher than 80 yet :v:

Just for goofs I bought the biggest engine it could carry, and loaded it with 4 machine guns and an ER large laser. 91 km/h trashcan is the best. I mean, I GUESS the 75 ton heavy that runs almost 90 and carries as much firepower as an IS assault is pretty cool too.

Bankerfox
Oct 11, 2012
Just picked this back up after dabbling with it a few years ago. What are the best mechs for beginners to get used to the game?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Great Beer posted:

The only difference between the endo BH on Metamechs and mine is that the endo version goes 2 kph faster, has one more heat sink, and loses a ton and a half of AC/20 ammo. I know ferro is a poo poo option on basically every mech, which is why I don't have it on the vast majority except a few lights, but I would rather have the ammo and very very slight armor increase over 2 kph. I just don't see endo as worth it for this one mech :shrug:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
My Shadow Cat just dunked on a Mad Cat and two Warhawks for the win, to capture the point. They all died one at a time in a big pile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ69kBP7uok

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The Repo Man posted:

The only difference between the endo BH on Metamechs and mine is that the endo version goes 2 kph faster, has one more heat sink, and loses a ton and a half of AC/20 ammo. I know ferro is a poo poo option on basically every mech, which is why I don't have it on the vast majority except a few lights, but I would rather have the ammo and very very slight armor increase over 2 kph. I just don't see endo as worth it for this one mech :shrug:

Your armor is exactly the same as it was before you upgraded, it just weighs less. There is literally no situation where FF is a superior option to endo.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Astroniomix posted:

Your armor is exactly the same as it was before you upgraded, it just weighs less. There is literally no situation where FF is a superior option to endo.

It would be nice if the description on ferro said "weighs 12% less" rather than "offers 12% more protection." The loving wording in this game :psyduck: the description isn't wrong, but holy hell that's a misleading way of phrasing ferro.

I should also know better than to argue with great beer since he's probably been playing since release, or at least far far longer to know all the deceptive wording.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 27, 2015

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Love Stole the Day posted:

My Shadow Cat just dunked on a Mad Cat and two Warhawks for the win, to capture the point. They all died one at a time in a big pile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ69kBP7uok

What build did you use? I've been thinking about getting one, but haven't found a medium I like more than the lights.

E: mm, I can see it in the picture I'm an idiot

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 27, 2015

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Bait and Swatch posted:

What build did you use? I've been thinking about getting one, but haven't found a medium I like more than the lights.

E: mm, I can see it in the picture I'm an idiot

get a stormcrow, never not have a stormcrow

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The Repo Man posted:

It would be nice if the description on ferro said "weighs 12% less" rather than "offers 12% more protection." The loving wording in this game :psyduck: the description isn't wrong, but holy hell that's a misleading way of phrasing ferro.

I should also know better than to argue with great beer since he's probably been playing since release, or at least far far longer to know all the deceptive wording.

You can also tell through not having a max armor increase by taking ferro.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The Repo Man posted:

The wording sucks, and I've been having to educate people on how it actually works since CBT, even though the wording is technically correct, mechs are limited on how many "points" or armor they can equip rather than a tonnage limit which is why FF doesn't increase your armor.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Astroniomix posted:

The wording sucks, and I've been having to educate people on how it actually works since CBT, even though the wording is technically correct, mechs are limited on how many "points" or armor they can equip rather than a tonnage limit which is why FF doesn't increase your armor.

With the way it's worded I figured the number of points didn't change, just that they could take more hits at the current value (so 10 points of armor taking a 12% reduction in damage vs 10 points of armor taking normal damage, similar to how armor works in, say, battlefield 2142). Whenever anyone said ferro was poo poo, I just thought it was because most people try to jam as much in their mech as possible, so even with "better protection" you were loosing 14 slots without loosing as much weight as endo. If I had Googled "Ferro Fibrous MWO" I probably would have known waaaaay sooner why goons hated ferro so much. It makes way more sense now.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The Repo Man posted:

With the way it's worded I figured the number of points didn't change, just that they could take more hits at the current value (so 10 points of armor taking a 12% reduction in damage vs 10 points of armor taking normal damage, similar to how armor works in, say, battlefield 2142). Whenever anyone said ferro was poo poo, I just thought it was because most people try to jam as much in their mech as possible, so even with "better protection" you were loosing 14 slots without loosing as much weight as endo. If I had Googled "Ferro Fibrous MWO" I probably would have known waaaaay sooner why goons hated ferro so much. It makes way more sense now.

Ferro has been poo poo since it's inception, even in TT the only reason to use ferro was because you either didn't have access to endo and desperately needed the extra tonnage, or the mech came with it.

EDIT: it also had the same loving description and caused no end of arguments as a result.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 27, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bankerfox posted:

Just picked this back up after dabbling with it a few years ago. What are the best mechs for beginners to get used to the game?

Stormcrows are great but may spoil you on every other robot. I like the Hunchback or Centurion with a bunch of SRMs as a good cheap generalist.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

The Repo Man posted:

The wording is poor, but you can sorta get the gist of what it does when your armor value doesn't change and your tonnage allowance goes up by 1-1.5 tons.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Astroniomix posted:

Ferro has been poo poo since it's inception, even in TT the only reason to use ferro was because you either didn't have access to endo and desperately needed the extra tonnage, or the mech came with it.

EDIT: it also had the same loving description and caused no end of arguments as a result.

The wording has never bothered me. 14 year old me had no problem parsing it in TT either. Then again, THACO wasn't rocket science either.

As has already been said it came in handy in TT campaigns because swapping out FF onto a mech that didn't have it wasn't a big deal, while swapping out the internal structure was a big loving deal. THere is a lot of poo poo like that in MWO - things that were balanced for TT but where one thing is simply superior in MWO because you dont have the other benefits that made it work out in TT.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 27, 2015

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I would be all onboard FF if it actually were a little lighter AND offered more protection. That would be an actual choice.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

sebmojo posted:

Stormcrows are great but may spoil you on every other robot. I like the Hunchback or Centurion with a bunch of SRMs as a good cheap generalist.

Speaking of Centurion, are there any builds for the CN9-AH that you get from the stocking pull? I just ripped the LRM off of mine and stuffed in 3 SRM 4's and added some heatsinks as a test and had a decent couple of rounds with it. It's slow as sin but a bit tankier than I expected, decent enough for piling on damage when in a coherent lance.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
There's the 3xSRM4+AC20 with an XL running around. Since this Cent doesn't have any CT lasers there's little point in being a zombie.

I've also played a 3xASRM6+3MG but uh that's more comedy than anything. In fact, you can just dump the MGs entirely if that's the route you're going to take. It does give you enough room to stuff a standard engine so the entire right side can be used to shield.

EDIT: With the build I linked, you can add Ferro-Fibrous armor and trim 2 more armor points off somewhere to add another ton or ammo. Or armor up some parts and add only a half-ton of ammo! :yayclod:

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 27, 2015

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've played that with just a STD275 and 3SRM6+A and it's almost as good as a Cent-A since you can't really use the MLs on that too much.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

3xASRM4 is like being a waiter at a restaurant that only serves rockets. I highly recommend it.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Seriously try the xl engine with AC20 build a few times. It's hilarious when you get behind mechs and get off an alpha, and terrible on Alpine.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

Can someone post some sweet marauder builds? I can't find any in the past 20 pages, or I missed them. You will have my eternal thanks and I will be your bro in game.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I mostly look at the AC20 XL build, realize we've been building the Cent that way since it came out, and decide I'd rather spend that 6.5mil on a trash can.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
I had an ancient account for this and I just reinstalled. Definitely enjoying running around in my Firestarter and melting dudes.

Can I get an invite to GIRL?

In game name is "SA Numinous"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

HexDog posted:

Can someone post some sweet marauder builds? I can't find any in the past 20 pages, or I missed them. You will have my eternal thanks and I will be your bro in game.

Boomrauder

I've been using this build to level up both the 3R and 5m. The only difference is the 3R doesn't have jump jets, so the two tons can go to armor, heatsinks, or ammunition, whatever you like. Shield with your left.

Mad wubs, yo

This is a large pulse wub bolt, only it's a marauder. It has jump jets, and a dead left side you can use to shield. It's not bad???

Madsplat

This 5D uses SRMs to help bring the pain. It's another close range brawler. Shield with your right side on this thing.

Crazed gunman

You can also snipe in a marauder! I hear it was made to carry ppcs or something! This one is probably better for CW than the others I've linked. Obviously this will work on a 3r as well as a 5m, just trade the jump jet for armor, ammo, or heatsinks.

• Locked thread