Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I'm working on a bot for Slack that moderates games of Werewolf.

https://github.com/chrisgillis/slackwolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OlaOst
Oct 17, 2012

Snowflakes! :science:

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Literally Elvis posted:

That's the nature of ads, I suppose, but I made the containing div have a white background so they don't peek out from the bottom.

Wouldn't you rather that the bottommost two questions actually be accessible?

You could add some padding at the bottom of content column, for instance. It looks like padding-bottom: 120px makes it possible to see all questions.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks, I'll check those out. :)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The simulated book interface for the upcoming desktop version of my game. I can't take full credit for this since it's adapted from an old Silverlight app, but making everything work properly in WPF wasn't exactly trivial. Once it's done, I'll try to put it up on Steam Greenlight.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Sebbe posted:

Wouldn't you rather that the bottommost two questions actually be accessible?

You could add some padding at the bottom of content column, for instance. It looks like padding-bottom: 120px makes it possible to see all questions.

Hooooo crap, I didn't realize it rendered them completely inaccessible, will fix tomorrow.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

SimonChris posted:

The simulated book interface for the upcoming desktop version of my game. I can't take full credit for this since it's adapted from an old Silverlight app, but making everything work properly in WPF wasn't exactly trivial. Once it's done, I'll try to put it up on Steam Greenlight.
As someone that recently tried to do a "book" interface and basically said gently caress it and skipped page flipping - big props. Looks great!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

As someone that recently tried to do a "book" interface and basically said gently caress it and skipped page flipping - big props. Looks great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_aGz0s7kT8

Thanks :). I have a video here that shows it in action, but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for a screenshot thread. Like I said, I can't really take credit for the actual animation since it's taken from an old open-source Silverlight web app (originally made for Jack Toresal). I've just converted it into a proper WPF desktop application and adapted it for my game.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

When you hit "start a new game" it would be really cool if the book would turn a bunch of pages, like you're skipping ahead in a book.

Looks great! :3:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

code:
dist: {%(x*x)+y*y}                          / cartesian distance
c2p:  {(dist;atan2).\:(x;y)}                / cartesian (x;y) to polar (r;a)
p2c:  {(x*sin y;x*cos y)}                   / polar (r;a) to cartesian (x;y)
fish: p2c.{(tanh x;y)}.c2p.                 / fisheye distortion

grid: 0.2*(!21 21)-10 10                    / grid of points in [-2,2] space
any:  {-2+4*?2}                             / random point in [-2,2] space
goal: any[]                                 / where are we going
pos:  0 0                                   / where are we now

tick: {pos+::.05* d:goal-pos                / move toward goal
       goal::$[.1>dist.d;any[];goal]}       / pick new goal when we're close
draw:: ,(+80+80*fish grid+pos;cga;2)        / draw centered, fisheye distorted grid

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!
Testing out new API's and just enjoying Go, I spent yesterday making a multiplayer coop minesweeper ala Twitch Plays Pokemon:

http://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=P4a6Uah1oho

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I added a page that lets you see a user's activity, and the aforementioned padding.

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009
Since it turns out I have absolutely terrible imagination when it comes to my hobby projects, I'm creating yet another toy compiler.

This time I'm using more traditional syntax instead of lisp-like, and I'm planning on targeting Windows\X86-64 instead of virtual machine. Also unlike in my previous projects, I'm using static typing rather than dynamic typing this time.

Currently I have only parsing and semantic checks implemented for handful of statements. I will probably implement code gen for these statements next so that I have all the stages present in the code base, and then get bored and abandon the project flesh out the rest of the features.

tohveli
Nov 25, 2007

♪ オー マリア
I recently got a slight promotion at work and that means I can no longer write code as much as I'd like. So I had to continue it as a hobby.
This combined with me having a Windows Phone and there is absolutely no nonshitty JIRA or Confluence client for it, it made me want to make one.

www.agilejiraclient.com

It's my first app actually. Making it took quite many weekends and long nights after getting the baby to sleep.
Coding with the latest version of Visual Studio, C# and XAML is very refreshing. I just love the tools. The built-in emulator and debugger are awesome, together with Fiddler.
I had to make a cheesy app website too.

Not many have bought it yet. I'm guessing it will actually cost me more money to keep this stuff up and running than I will ever get out of it. Domain 10 bucks a year, hosting 10 bucks a month. Now I'm trying adwords but it looks like that will cost me about 20-30 per month with little to show so maybe I'll quit that or narrow it down. Obviously the reason for this isn't the (negative) extra cash but to get some experience with the associated non-programming stuff.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride

tohveli posted:

I recently got a slight promotion at work and that means I can no longer write code as much as I'd like. So I had to continue it as a hobby.
This combined with me having a Windows Phone and there is absolutely no nonshitty JIRA or Confluence client for it, it made me want to make one.

www.agilejiraclient.com

It's my first app actually. Making it took quite many weekends and long nights after getting the baby to sleep.
Coding with the latest version of Visual Studio, C# and XAML is very refreshing. I just love the tools. The built-in emulator and debugger are awesome, together with Fiddler.

Not many have bought it yet. I'm guessing it will actually cost me more money to keep this stuff up and running than I will ever get out of it. Domain 10 bucks a year, hosting 10 bucks a month. Now I'm trying adwords but it looks like that will cost me about 20-30 per month with little to show so maybe I'll quit that or narrow it down. Obviously the reason for this isn't the (negative) extra cash but to get some experience with the associated non-programming stuff.

Nice job with this. Building a tool like this on a new stack and selling it is on my long to-do list, so it's inspiring to see others do it.

Just curious, where are you hosting the site? If you only need a static site which won't get much traffic $10 is quite a bit. Have you considered nearlyfreespeech.net or hosting it on Amazon S3? Hosting at either of these two will only cost you pennies a year instead of $120. I host a few very low traffic static sites at nearlyfreespeech and my total bill, including domain name, is around $11-14 a year per site.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
nearlyfreespeech is awesome, very easy to recommend.

tohveli
Nov 25, 2007

♪ オー マリア
Yeah I'm on Azure and they charge quite a bit for having a basic website if you want to have a custom domain name. I'll need to check my options.

You know interestingly the hardest part wasn't coding the app. Sure that took the longest, but it was the details like all graphics and icons and logos, writing up the website texts and taking photos and screenshots for it, supplying a privacy policy, making test data and a demo mode for app reviewers, setting up the support email, and testing with different JIRA versions. That's the stuff you really need to think about and it doesn't come as naturally for me. I'm still thinking how to reach more people with this, so yeah, I'd say the hardest for me has been the non-software work, communication.

tohveli
Nov 25, 2007

♪ オー マリア
By the way as a tidbit, I used Trello to track the stuff to do for this project. If you've used JIRA in an enterprise context you know it does the job like no other, but it can't match the simplicity and zero setup of Trello for personal stuff.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

tohveli posted:

www.agilejiraclient.com

Now to get Atlassian to buy it from you.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Thanks for recommending NearlyFreeSpeech, you guys, this looks like a great service for tinkerers like me. I knew lurking this thread would pay off :v:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I eventually moved away from them because their support model got really frustrating. They're also way behind the times for anything other than PHP.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
That is actually a good question, whats the best hosting for spring/java/mysql websites?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

TheresaJayne posted:

That is actually a good question, whats the best hosting for spring/java/mysql websites?

It depends on so many factors. How much you're willing to pay, how much time you want to spend managing it, how much traffic you're getting, is there a chance the site can blow up and you need to scale with it, etc. My default answer would be EC2, but it's probably overkill for a lot of things. And it's not trivial to use, you will need to invest some time in learning how to use AWS.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
I'd also recommend a cheap DigitalOcean or Linode instance.

Cryolite fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 31, 2015

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
God I loving hate jira, and time sheeting in it is balls. Bitbucket on the other hand is really good. We used redmine for the longest time, and there was only one thing that sucked about it - if someone ran a big report over issues, it froze up for everyone. They have fixed most of that though.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fletcher posted:

It depends on so many factors. How much you're willing to pay, how much time you want to spend managing it, how much traffic you're getting, is there a chance the site can blow up and you need to scale with it, etc. My default answer would be EC2, but it's probably overkill for a lot of things. And it's not trivial to use, you will need to invest some time in learning how to use AWS.

Knowing AWS basics may also be a good thing to have in your back pocket since it's used everywhere now.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'd actually like something like that. I had a good article bookmarked on the basics of how to set up a self-spawning/killing AWS setup, but I lost it in a reformat and it's probably out of date by now if I were to find it again.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

got a playable build of this up!

http://pizzamakesgames.itch.io/the-evil-warlock-tower

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Go pathfinding chicken, go!

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

chicken is making some pretty accurate jumps. are those made by just multiplying a vertical velocity type value by the distance to the next dot? is that represented by the dots being higher than the ones on the ledge the chicken will jump to?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah it's using Unity's physics engine with gravity enabled, and I have a list of upward force amounts to apply with AddForce() based on the difference of height (in blocks) between the current (ground) node and next nodes that are in the air. It jumps too high in some places and has to stop in midair so I'll try to adjust that a bit, but since the player can make midair movement changes the monsters should be able to as well, I think.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 3, 2016

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

You could probably adjust it jumping too high by further multiplying he vertical velocity value by the horizontal distance to the next node in the air, but I wouldn't claim to understand your system at all.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Not a screenshot, but here is an NFL Draft Simulator called DraftBored I wrote in ES6 with ReactJS. I've done two other versions of it in the past, both in Angular but this one matches all the features I've previously had and I spent some time making non-stupid drafting logic. My plans for the future are to add trades, a variety of draft strategies employed by each team and eventually maybe some neat "multiplayer" drafting using SignalR or something like that.

Edit: Updated URL because I moved it off Azure.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 7, 2016

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The future of searching for butt smilies is almost here!

EDIT:

And adding previous quotes in new thread replies. Without totally blowing up available memory.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 4, 2016

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn4pc_B8chs

I've posted about Roggle a couple times in this thread, here's the first full gameplay video.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

That looks really cool, reminds me of pixel dungeon a lot and I love that game. The interface may be a little too boxy at the moment but I like how the game looks other than that. I especially like the enemy death effect, great job!

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

DeathBySpoon posted:

I've posted about Roggle a couple times in this thread, here's the first full gameplay video.

You might want to add an OK button to your level up screen, because I could easily see myself excitedly clicking to move somewhere/pick something new up and choosing a level up option instead, by accident. It looks like there's a little pause already, but when sometimes when I've got a plan in mind, I just want to mash buttons.

Other than that it looks great. I wanna play it. :neckbeard:

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I have an image of a Mandelbrot fractal:

It is not a very good fractal. But it has been generated via a program I wrote myself, which is itself written in a language and compiler I wrote myself, which has gained a Python+PyOpenCL backend virtue of some bachelor's students, which has permitted me to write a Python wrapper program to handle the PNG encoding.

(Sorry, but as a compiler researcher, it's not often I get to post in a thread like this.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Athas posted:

I have an image of a Mandelbrot fractal:

It is not a very good fractal. But it has been generated via a program I wrote myself, which is itself written in a language and compiler I wrote myself, which has gained a Python+PyOpenCL backend virtue of some bachelor's students, which has permitted me to write a Python wrapper program to handle the PNG encoding.

(Sorry, but as a compiler researcher, it's not often I get to post in a thread like this.)

The link to mandelbrot.fut seems to be broken! I don't have access to the futhark-benchmarks repo.