Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Kurzon posted:

Many of these are not strictly speaking plot holes, and many are poorly argued. That said, I'd like to throw in my biggest issues with the movie.

The First Order built a superweapon bigger than the Death Star without the Resistance finding out.
In ANH and RotJ, the Rebellion knew of the existence of Death Stars and went to great lengths to obtain intelligence critical to its destruction. In TFA, the existence of Starkiller Base, an even bigger weapon, comes as a total shock to the Resistance. Finn, a stormtrooper who worked in sanitation, has to explain it to them and how to destroy it. Such a construction project must involve millions of laborers, astronomical sums of money, and huge numbers of ships ferrying supplies. This kind of project should be impossible to conceal.

According to wookiepedia, the planet that they turned into the weapon was in a system in the "Unknown Regions," implying that the First Order had info from the Empire that the Republic/Resistance did not (which makes sense).

quote:

BB8's piece of the map should have been enough to find Luke
Han remarks that BB's piece is uncharted space, but when he merges it with R2's piece, it's clearly a very big chunk of the galaxy. They thus should have been able to figure out where Luke's planet was by referencing the surrounding stars. If you have an unlabelled map of Florida, you would very easily recognize it as Florida.

If the small piece of the map is in uncharted space, then there won't be any reference points to use to put the piece in context. Unless, of course, you could match it to galaxy map designed to fit with the piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kurzon posted:

A plot hole is an illogical event in the movie - things that are impossible or contradictory. Characters being stupid or crazy is not a plot hole.
Also, characters having abilities, making choices and being people is not a plot hole.

TheMaestroso posted:

If the small piece of the map is in uncharted space, then there won't be any reference points to use to put the piece in context. Unless, of course, you could match it to galaxy map designed to fit with the piece.
Yeah this thought struck me too during the movie. I could give you a map to my house, but unless you knew what street, town or country the house is in it won't be that much use.

stev fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 27, 2015

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

TheMaestroso posted:

The issue people are having is that the chunk as depicted is about 10% of the entire galaxy. You shouldn't need a detailed survey to figure out where that is.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Simple headcanon: the one "piece" of the puzzle was a cryptographic key for the other. Having BB-8 display a physical region of the galaxy is a concession to doing things in a visual medium.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The issue people are having is that the chunk as depicted is about 10% of the entire galaxy. You shouldn't need a detailed survey to figure out where that is.

Still, if it's all in uncharted space you still won't know where to look with just the piece. You would know it's in the uncharted regions, but you'd be blindly searching without more information to contextualize it.

Galaxies are BIG. According to wookiepedia, about 100k light years wide. It's not exactly easy or quick to map out all of that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Irl your smartphone probably has enough computing power to go over the general galactic map and find which segment of the galaxy corresponds to the chunk of the map BB-8 had.

However, this is star wars and the map is a mcguffin.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How do you know it was 10%? A galaxy is comprised of billions and billions of stars.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

They didn't have much time to pore over the map piece, they only recovered it halfway through the movie and then spent the rest of it occupied with other things. The piece they had may have been enough given some time but luckily R2 was around to fill in the rest.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

TheMaestroso posted:

Still, if it's all in uncharted space you still won't know where to look with just the piece. You would know it's in the uncharted regions, but you'd be blindly searching without more information to contextualize it.

Galaxies are BIG. According to wookiepedia, about 100k light years wide. It's not exactly easy or quick to map out all of that.
Well, if the entire area of that map is uncharted, then a huge chunk of the Star Wars galaxy is uncharted, which seems odd in a setting where hyperspace travel is really fast.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do you know it was 10%? A galaxy is comprised of billions and billions of stars.

Just going off of what it looks like when the two parts are projected together. It's a sizeable chunk of the galaxy. It's not really important, since

emanresu tnuocca posted:

this is star wars and the map is a mcguffin.

I mean, they could have been like "oh it's encrypted but we don't have Luke's private key", but "one chunk of map plus other chunk of map" is easier for the average viewer to understand.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Given estimates of up to 100 billion star systems in the Milky Way, I'm going to go with "that was only a tiny, tiny chunk of the galaxy." Note also that our galaxy is sort of on the small side, too. It's not at all improbable that they would not have the portion depicted mapped in enough detail to recreate, or that Jedi of generations past altered maps to obscure the location of their first temple, or whatever. The single-sentence explanation offered in the movie works well enough to keep things going.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I find the quest to find plot holes in TFA to be somewhat odd given how many silly little tidbits and retcons there clearly are in the OT.

I mean obviously Lucas never thought about the whole "Luke is Vader's son" thing during the writing of ANH, and Leia being Luke's twin is clearly shoehorned in ROTJ through the exposition of a force ghost. And really hiding Luke on some desolate planet is a good plan but how about changing his last name to something other than Skywalker? Vader obviously had no notion that Leia was his daughter when they first met, he wouldn't have known about Luke either had they just named him anything other than Skywalker... and wouldn't Vader think about looking for his long lost son with his last living relatives?

Each of the star wars movies, all seven of them, has very stupid plot details that make very little sense and require a considerable amount of hand waving to explain; it's fortunate though that at least 4 Star Wars movies are really super fun to watch and manage to produce epic and memorable moments even when much of the plot is very silly.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
You're ruining our fun.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
They had all of the puzzle except for one piece. That makes no sense that they couldn't identify the position without it. It would make more sense if they had the piece R2 had, and were like...where the gently caress is this? And then they got the big chunk.

In the movie it was like you're looking at a jigsaw puzzle of a kitten and not knowing what it was. "Here's the missing piece. Holy poo poo, it was a kitten this whole time!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cosmicjim posted:

They had all of the puzzle except for one piece. That makes no sense that they couldn't identify the position without it. It would make more sense if they had the piece R2 had, and were like...where the gently caress is this? And then they got the big chunk.

In the movie it was like you're looking at a jigsaw puzzle of a kitten and not knowing what it was. "Here's the missing piece. Holy poo poo, it was a kitten this whole time!"

Steve2911 posted:

I could give you a map to my house, but unless you knew what street, town or country the house is in it won't be that much use.

The piece BB8 had is basically a few circles with unnamed planets on them. Useful.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Kurzon posted:

Many of these are not strictly speaking plot holes, and many are poorly argued. That said, I'd like to throw in my biggest issues with the movie.

The First Order built a superweapon bigger than the Death Star without the Resistance finding out.
In ANH and RotJ, the Rebellion knew of the existence of Death Stars and went to great lengths to obtain intelligence critical to its destruction. In TFA, the existence of Starkiller Base, an even bigger weapon, comes as a total shock to the Resistance. Finn, a stormtrooper who worked in sanitation, has to explain it to them and how to destroy it. Such a construction project must involve millions of laborers, astronomical sums of money, and huge numbers of ships ferrying supplies. This kind of project should be impossible to conceal.

BB8's piece of the map should have been enough to find Luke
Han remarks that BB's piece is uncharted space, but when he merges it with R2's piece, it's clearly a very big chunk of the galaxy. They thus should have been able to figure out where Luke's planet was by referencing the surrounding stars. If you have an unlabelled map of Florida, you would very easily recognize it as Florida.

All the planets in the Republic are apparently in the same system.
It would have been better if Maz sensed through the Force what happened, as Obi-Wan did in ANH.

Actually the resistance did know about it, they've got schematics and poo poo already. Unless you're saying months went by in a scene cut or something while they went and got all that info? The only last minute thing to help their plan was Finn lying about knowing how to get the shields down for the attack.

As other people have said, the galaxy is big and a small chunk of map isn't always useful. However, this is pretty clearly a movie convenience without creating some technobabel about why they need more info. People understand maps. Also, try taking a small chunk of a real map in a random part of where you're from and give it to someone else for them to figure out where it is at.

They targeted a specific system to blow up, and then JJ likes his shots of planets blowing up. Not really a plot hole, just how the director likes to put that poo poo. It is pretty easy to argue that he shouldn't have, but if you watched star trek then as soon as you saw that going on you should have know it was just JJ.

Edit: got about halfway through that list of "plot holes" before giving up because apparently the people who wrote that don't know how to pay attention to a movie.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 27, 2015

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

in canon maps unknown space is like literally half the galaxy, which that piece fits exactly into so it makes sense that they wouldn't be able to find the planet from reference alone

it's been confirmed that luke wasn't on rakata prime so it's a new planet in the middle of uncharted areas, just they say in the movie

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 27, 2015

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

R2 went to sleep when Luke left. They found the last piece to the kitten puzzle and then found the rest of the puzzle in the attic, so to speak.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

ZypherIM posted:

Actually the resistance did know about it, they've got schematics and poo poo already. Unless you're saying months went by in a scene cut or something while they went and got all that info? The only last minute thing to help their plan was Finn lying about knowing how to get the shields down for the attack.
No they didn't. It's explicitly stated in the dialogue that they sent a reconnaissance ship right after Starkiller destroyed the Republic.

ZypherIM posted:

As other people have said, the galaxy is big and a small chunk of map isn't always useful. However, this is pretty clearly a movie convenience without creating some technobabel about why they need more info. People understand maps. Also, try taking a small chunk of a real map in a random part of where you're from and give it to someone else for them to figure out where it is at.
They could have made it more plausible by making BB8's chunk a lot smaller.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It was only on the 3rd time I've watched it that I realized Rey slash Kylo across the face. loving 3D makes things dark. I've seen it 3 times in 3D unfortunately. Really wanna see it 2d.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I'll have to pay attention when I get a chance to re-watch, but I was pretty sure they didn't send the recon after it attacked but just that that was their source of info.

Yea they could have made it tiny and gone into how huge the galaxy is and how it'd take them X long to search through all the...

Seriously it is a science fantasy movie, you should be able to suspend a tiny bit of belief that they skipped a bunch of boring explanation so that you felt a partial map wasn't a problem.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ThePutty posted:

in canon maps unknown space is like literally half the galaxy, which that piece fits exactly into so it makes sense that they wouldn't be able to find the planet from reference alone

it's been confirmed that luke wasn't on rakata prime so it's a new planet in the middle of uncharted areas, just they say in the movie

This is inconsistent with the film, where Snoke assumes as a matter of course that having any piece of the map will lead them to Skywalker. So we should ignore any stupid bullshit about "uncharted space."

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Kurzon posted:

No they didn't. It's explicitly stated in the dialogue that they sent a reconnaissance ship right after Starkiller destroyed the Republic.

They could have made it more plausible by making BB8's chunk a lot smaller.

Is it said that the map is the whole galaxy? I was under the impression that the whole map is only part of a few systems in the unknown regions of the galaxy, wich is why its impossible to figure out where it is with only BB8's piece.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TFA just hit the 1 billion dollar mark. 544 million of that is in the United States alone.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Effectronica posted:

This is inconsistent with the film, where Snoke assumes as a matter of course that having any piece of the map will lead them to Skywalker. So we should ignore any stupid bullshit about "uncharted space."

Also pretty sure that they state the only missing info they have is what Poe gets from the dude at the start?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Effectronica posted:

but they literally say it's in uncharted space in the movie. like, it's an actual line han says when they're talking about the missing portions of the map. the first order already have the map except for that hole, just like the resistance in the end, so they need it just as much for that very reason

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

I said come in! posted:

TFA just hit the 1 billion dollar mark. 544 million of that is in the United States alone.

All that money should have went to homeless veterans. Space Hitler has already won.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

The golden question: will it make 1 billion domestic?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Immortan posted:

Probably not unless it's in theaters for 3 months.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Immortan posted:

I just want to see it surpass Avatar which it seems like it will.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

computer parts posted:

Probably not unless it's in theaters for 3 months.

So that's a Yes, then.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Map chat: it's probably not entirely consistent with the movie but I kinda figured the full map doesn't just pinpoint Luke's location but also the necessary hyperspace route to get there.

I assume that's what those orange lines were anyway

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I don't generally give a poo poo about box office figures, but Avatar being the most successful movie of all time is just poo poo.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Krowley posted:

Map chat: it's probably not entirely consistent with the movie but I kinda figured the full map doesn't just pinpoint Luke's location but also the necessary hyperspace route to get there.

I assume that's what those orange lines were anyway

That, and BB8's chunk of map was like 20% of a galaxy. How many billions of worlds would have been in that area?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

It definitely will domestic. Don't think so worldwide.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe it's just me but when Rey goes apeshit on Kylo it feels like she's losing herself in the power and letting herself fall far, very aggressive and almost enjoying it. Maybe it wasn't or it was subtle but the next movie would probably check this out.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

I don't. gently caress a JJ Abrams and Avatar is better than this flick.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oligopsony posted:

Simple headcanon: the one "piece" of the puzzle was a cryptographic key for the other. Having BB-8 display a physical region of the galaxy is a concession to doing things in a visual medium.
Yeah this is what I figured, sort of like how I figured the answer to "how can the characters on Maz Planet see the Hosnian system get blasted?" was "it is Cinema" with perhaps whiffs of "they happened to be on the shot's trajectory, or near to it." It probably saved them a whole thirty seconds of non-action!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gatts posted:

I don't. gently caress a JJ Abrams and Avatar is better than this flick.

Dances With Wolves in Space is not better than this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Biggest movie of all time is still Gone with the Wind though. :shrug:

• Locked thread