Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

deftest posted:

Is there a race season currently going on?

On their site, I see the items displayed with the usual point-o-meter. But I don't see the calendar... Is there something buggy with my browser? Or are there no current events scheduled and they still keep text like "See calendar below!" ?

The soulthirst race reason already happened, so that's old info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Count Uvula posted:

The soulthirst race reason already happened, so that's old info.

Path of Exile Race Season Page posted:

Our race events are grouped into Seasons. The Soulthirst Season contains 155 events, running from 6 November 2015 to 3 December 2015 (NZT). Its signature race is a Fixed Seed event called Soulthirst.

Indeed.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

nightwisher posted:

Haha, grats for making a lovely riddle no one wants to answer because the item is garbage tier crap. I almost feel sorry for Charan, imagine what he'd be like IRL. Insufferable.

He talks like that guy at the party who tries to be the center of attention except they're skinpeelingly annoying and utterly insufferable.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/504429 Almost 300 pages of wankery about his animu sword.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
If I were to link Cast on Damage Taken, a spell, Curse on Hit, and a curse, will the CoDT trigger a spell that curses on hit, or will it trigger the spell and the curse separately and ignore the CoH?

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Maddot_66 posted:

Can someone give me a start to finish "I have no idea what I'm doing" rundown of how to set up, price, and effectively sell items on poe.trade? I saw a guide buried somewhere in the last thread, but I never had the time to set stuff up and have just got some cool things that I'd like to sell to have a little spending currency. (including a nice 18Q blade fall I just had drop for me.)

I could still use help with this if anyone has directions/advice for a scrub.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Maddot_66 posted:

I could still use help with this if anyone has directions/advice for a scrub.

You didn't read the first post did you?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

JTDistortion posted:

If I were to link Cast on Damage Taken, a spell, Curse on Hit, and a curse, will the CoDT trigger a spell that curses on hit, or will it trigger the spell and the curse separately and ignore the CoH?

Yes, this works quite well. Keep the CwDT and the spell at a low level, and the spell with go off repeatedly (for little damage, but that's not the aim). Keep the CoH and curse at high level, and the tagged enemies will be heavily debuffed.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao mathil just chanced a skyforths in the middle of the atziri fight during shield phase like it was no dang thang

i believe he can make something happen

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Yes, this works quite well. Keep the CwDT and the spell at a low level, and the spell with go off repeatedly (for little damage, but that's not the aim). Keep the CoH and curse at high level, and the tagged enemies will be heavily debuffed.

Excellent! Thanks for the help. Time to make my blade vortex character even better.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Gibbo posted:

You didn't read the first post did you?

I guess I missed that in that wall of text, thanks. How long does it usually take for updates to go through on poe.trade?

EDIT: how do I get into currency exchanges? I have no idea how to figure out exchange rates, or what the currency section on the acquisition app means or how to use it.

Maddot_66 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 27, 2015

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

J posted:

Well, 35% mana reserved and a curse slot is a pretty significant investment. It ought to be good. Plus curse immunity is a very common map mod. I'm not too concerned about them nerfing it, but who knows.

Well put. It was an easy investment for me to make but that doesn't necessarily mean it is easy for everyone. 35% is a lot of reserved mana. I think I just got overly excited at my sudden increase in survivability.

On a somewhat related note, for the first time ever I'm running mid-tier maps. It is hands down the most fun I've had playing this game. I am really happy with my decision to ditch my Tshot ranger and build a Bladefall Witch.

Now I just need like 10 exalts to make the switch to pure ES :v:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

amazeballs posted:

Now I just need like 10 exalts...

might as well be a thread title heh

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Even with 10 exalts I still couldn't afford a Lightning Coil and a Taste of Hate :(

J
Jun 10, 2001

Maddot_66 posted:

I guess I missed that in that wall of text, thanks. How long does it usually take for updates to go through on poe.trade?

EDIT: how do I get into currency exchanges? I have no idea how to figure out exchange rates, or what the currency section on the acquisition app means or how to use it.

Currency exchange rates fluctuate as a league progresses. The best way to get a handle on it is, unfortunately, to sit in trade chat and look at the ratios people are offering. You can also use the noticeboards in towns in each act where people post public parties, lots of them use them to post trade offers as well. While sitting in trade chat you'll see these people post these huge paragraphs saying WTB (insert a giant goddamn list of every currency in the game here.) These guys are usually currency flippers who sit around all day buying currency from newbies or desperate people for low, and reselling for high later. This means the numbers they are offering are dogshit, and the real value is above what they are offering. Incidentally that also applies to people who do the same thing with divination cards.

To get you started here are some ballpark figures on talisman softcore right now:

15 alterations:1 chaos
18 chromatics: 1 chaos
8 jewellers:1 chaos
1.5-2 fusings: 1 chaos
12-15ish chaos: 1 divine
75 chaos: 1 exalt

Those are really the only currencies you'll need to worry about trading, for the most part. Don't forget that you can buy currency from the NPC vendors as well, which serves as a price floor.

Cesaro
Oct 5, 2004
Anyone still playing ED/contagion after the poison bug fix? Single target felt like garbage to me now so I started another character.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Can I get a guild invite? Zaptasm is my name currently.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So here's a random mechanics question regarding Discharge:

Discharge is tagged as Fire, Cold, and Lightning. Does that mean that if I had a jewel that gave +crit chance/multi to say, cold spells, it would work with my power charge discharge - which is lightning?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Vasudus posted:

So here's a random mechanics question regarding Discharge:

Discharge is tagged as Fire, Cold, and Lightning. Does that mean that if I had a jewel that gave +crit chance/multi to say, cold spells, it would work with my power charge discharge - which is lightning?

It should, since Discharge has all of those keywords at all times, unlike Wild Strike which separates its keywords based upon what attack it ends up doing.

That and the jewel is saying "with cold spells" and not "cold damage". The former only checks if the spell has the tag, regardless of what damage it does, while the latter would want you to actually end up doing cold damage to apply.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cesaro posted:

Anyone still playing ED/contagion after the poison bug fix? Single target felt like garbage to me now so I started another character.

I was playing it without poison the entire time and it still felt fine. Toss a Wither totem on it, cast temp chains to get extra stacks, and just kite it around for a bit.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

AegisP posted:

Even with 10 exalts I still couldn't afford a Lightning Coil and a Taste of Hate :(

5ex for both those items total on talisman standard, and 9 ex if you 5l your own coil for talisman hardcore.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Cesaro posted:

inventoroftrees still runs it and hes 91 and murders poo poo. Talk to him about it. I believe he still runs poison and is using temp chains/enfeeble to do tier 12+ maps.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

5ex for both those items total on talisman standard, and 9 ex if you 5l your own coil for talisman hardcore.

Talisman hardcore, where Taste of Hates are 5.5-6 ex and Lightning Coil is 4.5-5.5 ex, though I don't expect those 4.5s to be around long. Lightning Coil keeps going down, but Taste of Hate used to be 4-5 and seems to keep going up.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

AegisP posted:

Talisman hardcore, where Taste of Hates are 5.5-6 ex and Lightning Coil is 4.5-5.5 ex, though I don't expect those 4.5s to be around long. Lightning Coil keeps going down, but Taste of Hate used to be 4-5 and seems to keep going up.

I would imagine it's because more people are getting to the level of being able to use them but the supply can't keep up as others also leave the system. In regards to taste of hate.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, Taste of Hates are also going to be useful for pretty much every build, while you wouldn't use a Lightning Coil if your build requires a different unique chest piece or whatnot.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

AegisP posted:

Yea, Taste of Hates are also going to be useful for pretty much every build, while you wouldn't use a Lightning Coil if your build requires a different unique chest piece or whatnot.

Or if you like to live on the edge! I'm using a carcass jack on my CA guy currently when using a LC would be better defensively.

Question for you goons. I know we talked about forcing a 6l versus doing it manually. And you all are saying doing it manually will be less fusings in the long run so my question is what if it's on an item you don't have a backup for? I am using a very nice thicket +3 skill bow with dot damage currently 5 linked 6 socket. Should I continue to save my fusings to force it or save like 800-900 and try to 6L it?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Holyshoot posted:

Or if you like to live on the edge! I'm using a carcass jack on my CA guy currently when using a LC would be better defensively.

Question for you goons. I know we talked about forcing a 6l versus doing it manually. And you all are saying doing it manually will be less fusings in the long run so my question is what if it's on an item you don't have a backup for? I am using a very nice thicket +3 skill bow with dot damage currently 5 linked 6 socket. Should I continue to save my fusings to force it or save like 800-900 and try to 6L it?

According to the devs, the actual odds are very close to 1 in 1500, so I'd just save to force it if it's an item you're using.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Just ripped my 83 bladefall shadow at Temple Piety. Not sure what to think of that, I've been crushing every map I've found so far but her lightning storm just dumpstered me in like 2 seconds. Still content with my progress this league though, this is the first character I've reached maps with and I've built up a pretty solid stash of currency.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Temple Piety tends to be an exercise in "can I damage her near off screen" or hit-and-run attacks if you can't.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

There are plenty of map bosses, especially in high tiers, that do absurd spike damage. You deal with them by taking the appropriate resistance flask, hitting them offscreen or just skipping them altogether.

I personally wish map bosses were balanced more evenly instead of having 4 easy map bosses in a particular tier and 2 ridiculously tough ones most builds skip.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ekster posted:

There are plenty of map bosses, especially in high tiers, that do absurd spike damage. You deal with them by taking the appropriate resistance flask, hitting them offscreen or just skipping them altogether.

I personally wish map bosses were balanced more evenly instead of having 4 easy map bosses in a particular tier and 2 ridiculously tough ones most builds skip.

Yeah, I'm with you there. My most successful endgame characters have always been ones that can offscreen or dump dps while kiting/dodging at the edge of the screen, because I don't like skipping bosses and I'll still run them knowing its not actually worth the time or the risk.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
So I made a video of my poison trapper build https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSzQgumDobg

Gear and Gem Setup

6S5L Queen of the Forest - Bladefall / Trap - Conc.Effect / Trap.Damage / Poison

3L Jaws of Agony - Bear Trap / Trap.Damage / Poison / Void Manipulation (Jaws of Agony gives us a free lvl 20 bear trap and effective 4-link)

4L Southbound - CWDT / Immortal Call / Blood Magic / Clarity

4L Atziri's Step - Whirling Blades / Faster Attacks / Spell Totem / Wither

4L Alpha's Howl - Grace / Vaal Grace / Vaal Grace / Increased Duration

3L Bino's Kitchen Knife - Blasphemy / Vulnerability / Enduring Cry

Skill tree setup: Clicky

How it works: Bladefall/Bear Trap deals ridiculous base physical damage and are perfect for inflicting huge poison damage. Bino allows the poison to spread on death, and heals you for a proportion of the highest poison stack. Southbound makes it so that your hits (and therefore traps) cannot kill mobs unless they're frozen - which works out perfectly because it allows us to get credit for the kill (traps count as hits, but your poison DoT does not), otherwise the traps would get credit for the kill and Bino's effects would not trigger. The rest of the gem setups are pretty self-explanatory, wither totem is used on high chaos resistance bosses or extremely high-hp targets but is otherwise not used much because you kill far too fast for the totem to keep up.

Despite having a very low amount of HP I've rarely died because Bino's regeneration will protect you from almost everything bar onehits. The build has ~38k evasion with a flask up, giving us over 130% movespeed from Queen of the Forest, 40/45 dodge (78/83 with Vaal Grace), 20% block and (when the build is complete), roughly 4.3k HP.

Leveling the build is super easy. If you have a night's hold, almost any spell can be used to level. Bladefall is probably the best hands down for damage and speed, though once you get a 4L you're better off running it as Bladefall + Conc + Echo + Added Fire while running Herald of Ash and Hatred. The insane damage from this combo will carry you to A4Merc with little effort. Once you have most of your trap damage and utility nodes, you can switch over to traps and start using them. Bear in mind that poison requires a minimum amount of damage to achieve critical mass, the build doesn't work before you get your damage mods since they're the difference between poison working by itself or not. Obviously, Bino's and Southbound are core required uniques. After those, you can slowly add in the other gear as you can afford it. Priority would be Jaws of Agony and Mings after that. Your jewellery is going to be expensive though - You only get 4 slots to cover all your resists and life/mana/regeneration.

On the plus side, you will melt hard bosses like butter. I've done Rigvald, Atziri, twinned malformation Piety, Colosseum Daresso and Merc Malachai. Aside from some rips due to being lazy, nothing has seriously challenged this build yet.

Edit: Here's my character page, name is HaveYouHeardOfSoap. This might make it easier to check out my gear: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ProAtWorkHere/characters

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 27, 2015

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Magical Zero posted:

Just ripped my 83 bladefall shadow at Temple Piety. Not sure what to think of that, I've been crushing every map I've found so far but her lightning storm just dumpstered me in like 2 seconds. Still content with my progress this league though, this is the first character I've reached maps with and I've built up a pretty solid stash of currency.

I'm in SC but she dumpstered me earlier today on a map with the deadly mod. I didn't even have a chance to lightning warp out of it before I was staring at the resurrect prompt.

Incidentally, its moments like those that have brought me to my current situation - which is being unable to stomach HC anymore. The thrill of victory is sweeter, but I always feel absolutely crushed when I lose a character.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What am I missing about the Night's Hold amulet? I messed around the and the Cast when Stunned meant I couldn't cast it manually. What's the deal?

Edit:

nightwisher posted:

So I made a video of my poison trapper build https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSzQgumDobg

Also, do you have a tree I can look at?

Devor fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 27, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Devor posted:

What am I missing about the Night's Hold amulet? I messed around the and the Cast when Stunned meant I couldn't cast it manually. What's the deal?

Certain spells are "channeled" which means they can't be supported by skills that "cast" spells. IIRC this is Incinerate, Lightning Tendrils and Flameblast. Any skill that is not a spell will also not be supported by Cast When Stunned.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I have, no joke, found 7 Night's Hold talismans today. At first I thought GGG might have messed up the drop rates with a patch or something, but it seems nobody else had a huge influx of them.

Tried using some of them to gamble for higher unique tiers, and ended up with one of the tier 3 ones. Gonna try to go for the unique T4 one when I get a couple more.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 27, 2015

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

nightwisher posted:

Certain spells are "channeled" which means they can't be supported by skills that "cast" spells. IIRC this is Incinerate, Lightning Tendrils and Flameblast. Any skill that is not a spell will also not be supported by Cast When Stunned.

Also Flame Totem and I assume all the other totem spells. Flame Totem worked extremely well for me. Also, selling Night's Hold Talismans has worked extremely well for me :v:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Devor posted:

Edit:

Also, do you have a tree I can look at?

I've added my skill tree to the post, here's a link: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...uGmV03j_o831O0_

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

amazeballs posted:

Also Flame Totem and I assume all the other totem spells. Flame Totem worked extremely well for me. Also, selling Night's Hold Talismans has worked extremely well for me :v:

Also, Fire Trap works very well, if you happen to never find a Red Socket one.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

nightwisher posted:

Gear and Gem Setup

6S5L Queen of the Forest - Bladefall / Trap - Conc.Effect / Trap.Damage / Poison

3L Jaws of Agony - Bear Trap / Trap.Damage / Poison / Void Manipulation (Jaws of Agony gives us a free lvl 20 bear trap and effective 4-link)

4L Southbound - CWDT / Immortal Call / Blood Magic / Clarity

4L Atziri's Step - Whirling Blades / Faster Attacks / Spell Totem / Wither

4L Alpha's Howl - Grace / Vaal Grace / Vaal Grace / Increased Duration

3L Bino's Kitchen Knife - Blasphemy / Vulnerability / Enduring Cry

Skill tree setup: Clicky

How it works: Bladefall/Bear Trap deals ridiculous base physical damage and are perfect for inflicting huge poison damage. Bino allows the poison to spread on death, and heals you for a proportion of the highest poison stack. Southbound makes it so that your hits (and therefore traps) cannot kill mobs unless they're frozen - which works out perfectly because it allows us to get credit for the kill (traps count as hits, but your poison DoT does not), otherwise the traps would get credit for the kill and Bino's effects would not trigger. The rest of the gem setups are pretty self-explanatory, wither totem is used on high chaos resistance bosses or extremely high-hp targets but is otherwise not used much because you kill far too fast for the totem to keep up.

Despite having a very low amount of HP I've rarely died because Bino's regeneration will protect you from almost everything bar onehits. The build has ~38k evasion with a flask up, giving us over 130% movespeed from Queen of the Forest, 40/45 dodge (78/83 with Vaal Grace), 20% block and (when the build is complete), roughly 4.3k HP.

Leveling the build is super easy. If you have a night's hold, almost any spell can be used to level. Bladefall is probably the best hands down for damage and speed, though once you get a 4L you're better off running it as Bladefall + Conc + Echo + Added Fire while running Herald of Ash and Hatred. The insane damage from this combo will carry you to A4Merc with little effort. Once you have most of your trap damage and utility nodes, you can switch over to traps and start using them. Bear in mind that poison requires a minimum amount of damage to achieve critical mass, the build doesn't work before you get your damage mods since they're the difference between poison working by itself or not. Obviously, Bino's and Southbound are core required uniques. After those, you can slowly add in the other gear as you can afford it. Priority would be Jaws of Agony and Mings after that. Your jewellery is going to be expensive though - You only get 4 slots to cover all your resists and life/mana/regeneration.

On the plus side, you will melt hard bosses like butter. I've done Rigvald, Atziri, twinned malformation Piety, Colosseum Daresso and Merc Malachai. Aside from some rips due to being lazy, nothing has seriously challenged this build yet.

Edit: Here's my character page, name is HaveYouHeardOfSoap. This might make it easier to check out my gear: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ProAtWorkHere/characters

The choice of Alpha's howl seems a bit weird and not worth it. Looking at the video, you hadn't specced into the Charisma notable yet. Charisma cluster + notable gives the same amount of remaining mana as no notable + Alpha's howl, I'd have specced into that node earlier and worn a helmet with life and resists and evasion.

And good god, 3k life as an evasion build. Well, with good jade flask usage and positioning, you should be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

The choice of Alpha's howl seems a bit weird and not worth it. Looking at the video, you hadn't specced into the Charisma notable yet. Charisma cluster + notable gives the same amount of remaining mana as no notable + Alpha's howl, I'd have specced into that node earlier and worn a helmet with life and resists and evasion.

And good god, 3k life as an evasion build. Well, with good jade flask usage and positioning, you should be safe.

Bino's regen keeps you alive in situations where you really should be dead, it's great. I agree the life is way too low but I put off my life nodes til later on since the build is safe enough as is. Probably had one death in the last ~50 maps.

Charisma is the next node I've taken, that video is from a few levels ago. The build has major mana issues so it was either go EB (not happening with acro) or get more unreserved mana to work with. You need ~280 mana open to be able to use your traps at full speed. With the howl and those nodes I have just enough mana to fully sustain my skills. Evasion increases my movespeed so I want my grace to be as high level as possible, to make up for the loss of evasion from the shield and gloves. A good resist helm might seem like it'd be better but yeah, mana is a MAJOR problem with this build unless you do something similar.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 28, 2015

• Locked thread