Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Palpek posted:

Unlike Konami when it comes to Kojima being associated with MGS5, huh?

I wouldn't be surprised if Konami had surveillance posted around the new KojiPro studios 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mung Dynasty posted:

I have a i5 Pro 4 and had a first gen i5 Pro before that and they both worked well for what I needed. Even 3D games as recent as this year run decently on medium settings at 720p, which looks fine on the smaller screen. They're great little computers for a wide variety of uses.

This guy on YouTube shows games running on different Surface and Surface Book models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQR5m4GuIpM

Cool. Think I might grab one to replace my ancient EPC which has trouble running a PDF at a decent framerate.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

corn in the bible posted:

Don't buy Sorceror King. Don't support Brad Wardell.

Or do support the other people that worked on the game cause it might be good!
The choice is you'res............................

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Don't buy Sorceror King. Don't support Brad Wardell.

No, don't buy Sorceror King because it's an even weaker game than Fallen Enchantress outside of the chief gimmick.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

still hoping for legends of eisenwald impressions from anyone at all, someone has to have played it right?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Buy Sorceror King, but don't support Brad Wardell. This is an anti-piracy message.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Grim Dawn is also pretty dope because one of the Rogue/Assassin starting skills is to dual wield, and when you're smacking guys with a pair of swords or maces or whatever they get smashed across the screen like you're tossing grapes.

It's a neat touch.

phreaky
Nov 4, 2009

What I find more disturbing than a guy saying he's not going to buy a game is the set of comments by people who instantly project their own insecurities and assume the individual is white, male, and ironically, a bigot.

-Blackadder- posted:

What do you guys recommend for First Person RPGs like Might & Magic X/Wizardry/Elminage/Legend of Grimrock style games?

I just came across Lords of Xulima and that looks like it fits the bill, how is it? Anything else I should be looking at?

A lot of people responded to this but few actually mentioned the games you asked about.

Elminage has janky design choices and I would not recommend. Grimrock is an ok update of the formula, however it suffers from easily cheesable combat and has been said to have too many puzzles (especially the 2nd) for a dungeon crawler.

Wizardry is the grandaddy of these kinds of games. 6-8 are the most modern and accessible (though accessible is really still a misnomer with these games). If you have the stomach for the oldness, you'll find a huge, deep well made combat system which supports multiple playthroughs.

Mmx is my recommendation as the most balanced, modern, and interesting of those games. It it's a very solid effort which surprised a number of the old school m&m fans. From my experience it appeals to both those who say mm3/4/5 were the best and those who say mm6/7 are the best.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3056nRIZi50

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Gort posted:

Anyone tried using a Microsoft Surface for gaming?

I have the original (Pro 1), played a lot of Civ 5 (since it supports touch), and also a lot of XCOM:EW by lowering the resolution a bit, though that chewed up the battery something fierce. Also played FTL, One Finger Death Punch, other indie games. Newer models should handle stuff fine though I haven't played with the latest and greatest Surface.

Disclaimer: work for MS but not in hardware division

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Deakul posted:

if they worked at an actual studio and not just in a basement then they probably made healthy wages while working on the game and they're probably working somewhere else by now

thats what i never got about that argument

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Deakul posted:

it isn't and they almost certainly don't work there anymore, hth

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

like if you bought armikrog at this point i bet the only person you actually end up supporting is doug tennapel

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
buy good indie games to support the devs, buy good AAA games to encourage sequels, don't buy games made by known shitheads

if you really want to play a game by a known shithead just pirate it, people will tell you you're betraying some kind of principle if you're not willing to actually not play a game in order to not support awful people but whoooooooooo caaaares

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

HMS Boromir posted:

buy good indie games to support the devs, buy good AAA games to encourage sequels, don't buy games made by known shitheads

if you really want to play a game by a known shithead just pirate it, people will tell you you're betraying some kind of principle if you're not willing to actually not play a game in order to not support awful people but whoooooooooo caaaares
You are a bad person.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

So where does MGS5 fall in this confusing morass of arbitrary rules

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Scalding Coffee posted:

You are a bad person.

well ok

victrix posted:

So where does MGS5 fall in this confusing morass of arbitrary rules

it's obviously all based on opinion, i'm not actually trying to dictate to you what games you should and shouldn't buy. personally i've neither bought it nor pirated it so i can't really say

if you think buying it will encourage more games like it, or actually put money in the pockets of the people responsible for making it a good game, or are staunchly opposed to piracy on principle, buy it. otherwise, don't. doesn't seem like a confusing morass to me

EDIT: whoops i had that precisely backwards the first time lol

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 27, 2015

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

HMS Boromir posted:

Do you ever stop trying to moralize at people over which games they buy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

sorceror king also sucks

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

if a known pedophile or convicted serial killer made huniepop there would still be goons rushing to defend it

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Freak Futanari posted:

Do you ever stop trying to moralize at people over which games they buy

do you ever stop making insanely lovely posts

your entire gimmick is based on Not Caring which you'd think would make it so you would just ignore my posts about these things you so vocally Don't Care about and yet here we are

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In an attempt to save this thread, some unused bundle codes.

Somorost 2 - C5W2K-TBTFB-E472C

Cortex Command - 3KLCR-VE30B-RGZC9

Bundle #2 - FYV22-GI7QF-ED6JD-M89SI-L39FE

Bundle #3 - CF5L5-A6TGB-8FDC5

Cortex Command - E35HB-PYEM5-AN5ZK

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

HMS Boromir posted:

do you ever stop making insanely lovely posts

your entire gimmick is based on Not Caring which you'd think would make it so you would just ignore my posts about these things you so vocally Don't Care about and yet here we are

Actually i care, about good games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How about, buy the games you want to play and also politically support legislation to improve employee rights and increase the taxation of the super-wealthy and corporations

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Nabbed Samorost, thanks duder.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How about, buy the games you want to play and also politically support legislation to improve employee rights and increase the taxation of the super-wealthy and corporations

I mean I get the people who say trying to vote with your money in this particular way is a waste of time, but I don't see why anyone would bother taking offense at people that do and want to encourage/discuss it. Call me a lovely poster for it if you will but I'm pretty good company in this thread as far as that goes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, if there were an amazing game that were made by a totally unconscionable jackass, that would probably edge me away from buying it, especially since I already don't get around to playing a bunch of other amazing games made by non-shitheads, but I don't need to make a categorical imperative for this issue.

It's kind of moot because the current game in question is terrible in a genre with many better alternatives. I don't like the defense, though, of "But you're hurting his employees too" when that is, of course, demonstrably false and also has been a rhetorical shield used by lovely owners since the beginning of capitalism

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Sleeveless posted:

Bundle #2 - FYV22-GI7QF-ED6JD-M89SI-L39FE

Hey, I redeemed this one, thank you!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

With Grim Dawn with all the talk about fancy crafting/items, how interesting is it? Do weapons give unique effects/skills or is it all mostly just +x% damage.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

I mean I get the people who say trying to vote with your money in this particular way is a waste of time, but I don't see why anyone would bother taking offense at people that do and want to encourage/discuss it. Call me a lovely poster for it if you will but I'm pretty good company in this thread as far as that goes.
Oh yeah I love it when people post year old twitter messages they disagree with and have probably bookmarked like some sorta weird creepy stalker. It's really cool. Reminds me of all these Steam sales I'm not looking at.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I only buy merchandise from people who share the same political and religious views as me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Geokinesis posted:

With Grim Dawn with all the talk about fancy crafting/items, how interesting is it? Do weapons give unique effects/skills or is it all mostly just +x% damage.

Little of both, there are upgrades that give you usable skills, and Relics that give usable (unique?) skills, so it's possible to pile on extra goodies.

I have no idea how well those scale into the late game, but I do know a lot of the passive 'gently caress you monsters' abilities from the more powerful Relics are pretty cool, and usually slot into different builds.

It's not a very risky game honestly, if you're familiar with the genre conventions and like them, you'll probably have a good time with it, if you're burnt on arpg standards, you won't.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I support voting with your wallet so long as you do so by buying me copies of games to really support people you like.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

victrix posted:

Could anyone give an opinion on where Sorcerer King is at now? http://store.steampowered.com/app/241990

Have you ever found yourself playing Elemental: Fallen Enchantress and said to yourself, "Self, I really wish this game had worse AI, worse graphics, and more city micromanagement courtesy of an interface that looks like it was designed so that the game could be seamlessly ported over to a phone or tablet."

If so, then you'll like this game.

If not, just buy "Age of Wonders III" instead. The expansions alone will provide more entertainment value than this game will.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HGH posted:

Oh yeah I love it when people post year old twitter messages they disagree with and have probably bookmarked like some sorta weird creepy stalker. It's really cool. Reminds me of all these Steam sales I'm not looking at.

It's insanely cool, and *not* filled with AIDS

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

(Grim Dawn is) not a very risky game honestly, if you're familiar with the genre conventions and like them, you'll probably have a good time with it, if you're burnt on arpg standards, you won't.

That's the impression I came away with too after about an hour and a half of gameplay. I thought the setting and the classes were really cool and it seems to be competently made, but in the end it's another ARPG. If you're like me and not a big fan of the genre anymore, it's not going to change your mind. I ended up getting it refunded.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ekster posted:

I only buy merchandise from people who share the same political and religious views as me.

brad wardell is a rapist

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

brad wardell is a rapist

also something to do with bees?

E: rapiarist

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Cortex Command - E35HB-PYEM5-AN5ZK

I took this. Thank you for a rad robot fighting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Zetsubou-san posted:

that time again

:roflolmao:

• Locked thread