Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BigDave posted:

Do those debts cross the border? Otherwise this guy could go on back to wherever and leave Hertz holding the bag.

I think most jurisdictions would hold the contract enforceable, yeah. I would certainly expect my car loan to be actionable if I fled back to Canada. It would be the same for a US citizen going to another country; citizenship doesn't affect civil contract law AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

You can have legal debts without being a US citizen. Source: I am in the US but not a citizen, and have had debts.

A lot easier to incur them with a ssn though (source, i lived in the US and had a ssn but wasnt a citizen)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, a TIN works sometimes, but a lot easier with an SSN.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Haifisch posted:

I bet the rental car company is going to be really salty once they realize their chances of recovering from him.

Also, :lol: at the argument over whether the ocean ruining your car counts as an act of god or not:

Who could ever predict waves happening on the beach??

A wave? On the beach? Chance in a million.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

With luck like that he should start playing the lottery until he wins it big and can pay off that debt :v:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mojo Threepwood posted:

44% of snake people earning between $100,000 to $149,000 live paycheck to paycheck. Interestingly, just 33.5% of those earning $50,000 to $75,000 said they lived that way

hmmm maybe the cost of living and relative salaries aren't exactly the same everywhere

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I have to wonder about the methodology of such a survey as well - saving money and not participating in surveys both strike me as smart things to do and perhaps they're correlated.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Guest2553 posted:

With luck like that he should start playing the lottery until he wins it big and can pay off that debt :v:

With stupidity like that he probably will.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't it like scientifically proven that everyone who wins a lotto jackpot ends up blowing the money since they're still retards who don't know how to manage money by virtue of having played the lotto in the first place?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Isnt that trickle down economics actually working in practise?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Isnt that trickle down economics actually working in practise?

Eh, yes and no, adjusted for how much of what is spent on conspicuous luxury crap. A formerly low-income lottery winner dropping six figures on cars isn't going to buy 10 Fords, benefiting his local community's dealer, he's going to buy a stretched hummer from a dealership that deals with rich clientele (the difference being that their normal clientele usually have a regular income to match their expenses rather than spending a lump sum payment like it was water). It's a simplified analogy, of course, but generally speaking a lottery dollar finds its way up the socioeconomic ladder faster than the dollar of a low wage-earner.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
This article is a few months old so maybe its already been posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/22/extreme-altruism-should-you-care-for-strangers-as-much-as-family

It's about a woman/couple who donates as much money as possible to charity. On the face of it it seems to be pretty BWM, but then it describes how she is actually GWM living frugally and maximizing her income (so that she can give even more money away).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Per posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/22/extreme-altruism-should-you-care-for-strangers-as-much-as-family

It's about a woman/couple who donates as much money as possible to charity. On the face of it it seems to be pretty BWM, but then it describes how she is actually GWM living frugally and maximizing her income (so that she can give even more money away).

Could you elaborate on how it's bad with money? Using it to alleviate suffering seems like one of the best things one can do with money.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I think as long as they have a plan for their long term sustenance without burdening others it's... Fine?

Except she cried over buying a candy apple for a couple bucks with someone else's money because it could have been donated to buy malaria nets and OMG HOW SELFISH.

That's uh... Uncomfortable.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Per posted:

It's BWM from a personal perspective, but extremely GWM from a social perspective, since rather than those dollars going into consumption, they're being invested in social and human capital somewhere where they have the greatest leverage in benefit per dollar. If everyone were like her we'd be living in a communist utopia.

A GWM story. :colbert:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Subjunctive posted:

Could you elaborate on how it's bad with money? Using it to alleviate suffering seems like one of the best things one can do with money.

I can think of a few scenarios. For example, if an extremely altruistic person is diagnosed with a serious illness that requires expensive medicines or surgery, they may lack the funds for prompt treatment, which could leave them out of work (which means they cannot continue giving). Or you could argue that investing some or all of their donation money and using the proceeds to fund the charitable giving would be more effective in the long run because while money today is worth more than money tomorrow, it would allow for continuing donations long after the donors stopped working.

How "bad with money" these scenarios are is entirely dependent on your perception, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

froglet posted:

I can think of a few scenarios. For example, if an extremely altruistic person is diagnosed with a serious illness that requires expensive medicines or surgery, they may lack the funds for prompt treatment, which could leave them out of work (which means they cannot continue giving). Or you could argue that investing some or all of their donation money and using the proceeds to fund the charitable giving would be more effective in the long run because while money today is worth more than money tomorrow, it would allow for continuing donations long after the donors stopped working.

How "bad with money" these scenarios are is entirely dependent on your perception, though.

I don't think those are the scenarios described. The charity in question wanted they could (subject to tax classification requirements) also invest, and use those proceeds, if they saw the time value of the money appropriately. Scholarship endowments work like that, for example.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

Isn't it like scientifically proven that everyone who wins a lotto jackpot ends up blowing the money since they're still retards who don't know how to manage money by virtue of having played the lotto in the first place?
In most scenarios- yes. A study has shown that the more money you win in the lottery, the more likely you are to end up bankrupt.

This example from a nearby city comes to mind. I couldn't stop facepalming when I first read through it. There definitely seems to be far more stories of lotteries leading to financial ruin than there are positive stories. Heck, most people do foolish things with their tax return deposits, never mind million dollar payouts!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 28, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think those are the scenarios described. The charity in question wanted they could (subject to tax classification requirements) also invest, and use those proceeds, if they saw the time value of the money appropriately. Scholarship endowments work like that, for example.
This is true but the charity is still obligated to put it towards their started purpose. It's quite valid for the against malaria foundation charity to invest money for bed nets later. However, twenty years from now, that may no longer be the most efficient way to help people. It's not all that valid for the charity to choose another means of helping the world, while it is for an individual. Whether to wait or not depends on whether you think there will be lower hanging fruit in the future or not.

I really do think about bed nets for African children when buying stuff. I don't go that crazy since there's a point where living too ascetic a lifestyle will make me go insane and unable to continue earning at the same rate. However, bed nets are the true tradeoff I'm making when I spend and I am conscientious of that. The AMF saves a life for every ~$2800 donated, it makes decisions like new vs used vs no car easy for me.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
My sister is a BWM all star. I posted about it a dozen or so pages ago, but I think she's just going to go through life this way. She's a single mom of teens, but she's adding to her struggles with terrible decisions.

- 444 credit score. Only posting because I had no idea you could actually get so low.
- Defaulted student loans for an abandoned University of Phoenix degree.
- Car repossessed, bought a death trap with a rusted out gas tank that subsequently died.
- Now financing a used SUV and doing Uber/Lyft or whatever
- Does equine whatever
- Very self-righteous about everything

I have two facebook accounts, one only for family, because her updates are too frustrating to read.

I wish she could figure it all out.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Moneyball posted:

My sister is a BWM all star. I posted about it a dozen or so pages ago, but I think she's just going to go through life this way. She's a single mom of teens, but she's adding to her struggles with terrible decisions.

- 444 credit score. Only posting because I had no idea you could actually get so low.
- Defaulted student loans for an abandoned University of Phoenix degree.
- Car repossessed, bought a death trap with a rusted out gas tank that subsequently died.
- Does equine whatever
- Very self-righteous about everything

I have two facebook accounts, one only for family, because her updates are too frustrating to read.

I wish she could figure it all out.

too vague, more deets next time thanx

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Moneyball posted:

- Does equine whatever

Combine the two and start a horse Uber service. Think of all the equity she could build!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

BigDave posted:

Combine the two and start a horse Uber service. Think of all the equuity she could build!

Words mean things, playa :cmon: I like where your head's at though. What should it be called? Uuber?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Guest2553 posted:

Words mean things, playa :cmon: I like where your head's at though. What should it be called? Uuber?

Wilbur

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

melon cat posted:

(Lottery failures)

This example from a nearby city comes to mind.

From the article:

quote:

The vanity licence plate read “BABIPHAT,” after one of her favourite designer clothing lines.

Blue Story needs a matching "BOBAFETT" vanity plate.

:golfclap:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guest2553 posted:

Glueber

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The thread title I never knew I always wanted :swoon:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Perfect.

Horse equity loans may not exist yet, but car equity loans sure do: https://www.wellsfargo.com/auto-loans/auto-equity/cash-out-and-refinance-options/

BigDave fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 28, 2015

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Canada continues to try to emulate the US housing crisis:

quote:

Jewellery buyer Russell Oliver, better known from his ads in the Toronto area as the “Cashman,” decided to step into a new title — “the loan arranger” — after his customers started asking for help with their mortgages. The business is small but growing steadily.

“Banks traditionally are very conservative, and if you can find certain ways of dealing with customers where they get rejected by the bank, it can be very lucrative,” Oliver said.

Oliver has no qualms about being in the subprime business. He doesn’t dig into people’s lives, doesn’t care about their credit history or if they can prove their income.

“Obviously it’s a very loosey-goosey way of doing it,” Oliver said about his qualification procedures. The interest rates he charges range from 10 to 35 per cent. His cut for connecting investors and borrowers is five per cent.

His sole criteria is the value of the property that backs up the loan. Even then, he isn’t worried that a housing downturn could sink some of his customers into foreclosure because, while it would affect his investors, he has no skin in the game. He collects his fee and moves on.

“We use other people’s money; I don’t put in a dime, I just work on a straight commission. I don’t care what happens to the market, I don’t care what happens to the people, I don’t care what happens to the repossession of the house,” Oliver said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/07/28/shadow-mortgage-market-canada_n_7882216.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
loosey-goosey

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

“It’s not as if we’re humanitarians and we want to be nice to you. It’s just that you can only borrow very little and you’re not going to be able to pay it back.”

He believes some of his customers probably shouldn’t be seeking refinancing to hold on to their homes, but added that if Canadians are going to be so addicted to home ownership, he might as well cash in.
At least he's honest about being a greedy monster? :v:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Haifisch posted:

At least he's honest about being a greedy monster? :v:

He's not doing anything the banks haven't done, and we bailed them out for billions of dollars. I think I'm just mad I didn't think of it first.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...0b1f_story.html

Taylor suffered severe burns as a child and reached a settlement with a space-heater manufacturer that had a lifetime expected payout of $31.5 million, but after numerous sales from his structured settlement at a fraction of the value, he is broke. 

Scummy industry, clearly they took advantage of him.

KingFisher fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 28, 2015

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
It is me, I am bad with money.

I was so proud of myself for paying off a maxed credit card, starting emergency savings, contributing to a Roth and 401k, and even starting savings for a car down payment (hopefully my 2011 Toyota sticks around for a while but I have 92k miles on it and it has been in two accidents so I'm scared it could get totaled if, like a dumbass, I get into a third accident). I thought I had reduced spending so well on impulse poo poo like clothing and food.

I logged into mint. I have spent over $9000 on food this year. I make $42k. I moved back home with my parents so I could invest a quarter of my income in turds.

I don't have many excuses: I can count on two hands how many drinks I have per year so it isn't alcohol. I'm supposed to be cooking more because I'm trying to lose weight.

It's LOTS of eating out plain and simple. Lots of sushi, lots of green tea, lots of fast food.

Ugh.

Edit: I'm just so angry at myself! I might not have enough money for GROCERIES as an elderly person because I kept hauling my rear end to burger places as a woman-pushing-30.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 28, 2015

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

legsarerequired posted:

It is me, I am bad with money.

I was so proud of myself for paying off a maxed credit card, starting emergency savings, contributing to a Roth and 401k, and even starting savings for a car down payment (hopefully my 2011 Toyota sticks around for a while but I have 92k miles on it and it has been in two accidents so I'm scared it could get totaled if, like a dumbass, I get into a third accident). I thought I had reduced spending so well on impulse poo poo like clothing and food.

I logged into mint. I have spent over $9000 on food this year. I make $42k. I moved back home with my parents so I could invest a quarter of my income in turds.

I don't have many excuses: I can count on two hands how many drinks I have per year so it isn't alcohol. I'm supposed to be cooking more because I'm trying to lose weight.

It's LOTS of eating out plain and simple. Lots of sushi, lots of green tea, lots of fast food.

Ugh.

Edit: I'm just so angry at myself! I might not have enough money for GROCERIES as an elderly person because I kept hauling my rear end to burger places as a woman-pushing-30.

Sushi makes us all do dumb things.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Take the 40 dollar sushi class and learn to make it yourself. Sushi has about a 500-1000% markup

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I doubled the automatic transfer to my vanguard because CLEARLY I will find a way to spend the money otherwise. Ugh.

I'm remembering when I was a child my parents took us to fast food every day. I can count on one hand how many times we ate a home cooked meal around a table. Once we didn't go to burger king for a week (probably because we went to McDonalds or something) and the lady at the window said she was worried about us.

Edit: I will say this to other people in my situation (trying to lose weight/spend less in food): I don't eat nearly as much sushi since I started cooking chicken at home. A dietitian told me that if you regularly eat meat, your body will crave it. I have definitely noticed that I don't crave eating out as badly as I used to since I started making chicken at home and snacking on it throughout the day at work.

That said I've done homemade sushi before and it is super fun!

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 28, 2015

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
start you are own thread

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
Also, just sit down for 20 minutes every week before you do your grocery shopping and actually plan what you'll eat that week. Like, literally, "Monday I will make X and Tuesday for lunch I will have the rest of X, Tuesday I will make Y but it doesn't keep well, so I'll let Wednesday's lunch be my day to buy a sandwich at the deli."

It's so much harder to cheat and eat out when you've already planned what you're eating that day and you have the ingredients ready to go. Plus, for some people (me included), there's an element of "I already bought ingredients A, B, and C for this dish and I don't want to let them go bad..." which can help keep you on track.

My dining out habits changed enormously when I started this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

legsarerequired posted:

I moved back home with my parents so I could invest a quarter of my income in turds.

Something something Warren Buffett something investing during a down year is actually good.

You're moving in the right direction and you've made a lot of progress. Keep it up!

• Locked thread