Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Xabi posted:

Did not know that the old Windows 95 trick still worked. Thank you!

where's the belly laugh smiley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I want to track my sleep, caffeine, food, water intake, exercise, and walking. I don't want to carry anything except my 6S with me. Is there one app I can do this all from?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Unless posted:

I want to track my sleep, caffeine, food, water intake, exercise, and walking. I don't want to carry anything except my 6S with me. Is there one app I can do this all from?

Notes :confused:

Serious answer: not sure, but maybe MyFitnessPal and/or the Up app from Jawbone. I have a Jawbone Up Go thing that clips to my pants, but a friend of mine just uses the app that syncs with the phone's own tracking stuff. It tracks walking, exercise, sleep, syncs with MyFitnessPal for food (water) and weight, and I think they have a separate caffeine app.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Unless posted:

Maybe Argus? Not sure if it'll do caffeine though

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Unless posted:

Workflow can do all of this, entered right into HealthKit.

Edit: Not quite all. Workflow can track caffeine, water intake, walking and running. It can log everything to HealthKit, as well.

For food, Fat Secret is pretty good. For sleep, some of the sleep tracker apps are good. I'm pretty sure they will even log your sleep to HealthKit, but I'm not sure that Fat Secret will log calories.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 27, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Your 6s automatically tracks walking steps, flights climbed, and distance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flights climbed uses the barometer, which means lots of ghost steps climbed that are actually you entering a building.

Every time I enter my place of employment I get credited for two flights.. one for walking through the door, one for actually walking up some stairs. :v:

Still think it's a great feature, just gotta interpret the results a bit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Unless posted:

Not one single app, but there are multiple apps that will hook right into Health Kit, so all your data will be available for tracking and viewing in one place. I think if you Google for Health Kit apps, you'll probably get a good list.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

xzzy posted:

Flights climbed uses the barometer, which means lots of ghost steps climbed that are actually you entering a building.

Every time I enter my place of employment I get credited for two flights.. one for walking through the door, one for actually walking up some stairs. :v:

Oh I didn't know this.

Totally unrelated but I'm trying to organize my life a bit better and use Calendars and Reminders more. Is there a good write up of "best practices" or how to use them more effectively? Like okay I understand what calendar events are, what reminders are. But say tomorrow on Monday I need to go visit my apartment's property manager at 10am. Is this an event or a reminder?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm looking for a iPad drawing app for my four year old son that's a bit more advanced/interesting than the best kids' one I've found (Drawing Pad), but still at least kind of understandable by a little kid. Does anyone have any recommendations? We have a (cheap) stylus and an iPad Air 2 if that matters.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Cicero posted:

I'm looking for a iPad drawing app for my four year old son that's a bit more advanced/interesting than the best kids' one I've found (Drawing Pad), but still at least kind of understandable by a little kid. Does anyone have any recommendations? We have a (cheap) stylus and an iPad Air 2 if that matters.

I am loving Adobe Photoshop Sketch on my Pro. It has wonderful physical simulation: you can use a watercolour brush and it will bleed into the paper until you dry it. It also has a very immediate interface and a very limited toolset; its basically just as simple, and just as complex, as using the real tools, but without the mess.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh I didn't know this.

Totally unrelated but I'm trying to organize my life a bit better and use Calendars and Reminders more. Is there a good write up of "best practices" or how to use them more effectively? Like okay I understand what calendar events are, what reminders are. But say tomorrow on Monday I need to go visit my apartment's property manager at 10am. Is this an event or a reminder?
For me, if it's something that requires setting aside a block of time for (e.g. "Drinks with so-and-so") then I put it in my calendar. If it's just something I should get done with no specific time allocation (e.g. "Lift some weights you fat gently caress") then I set a reminder.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh I didn't know this.

My only advice is that you should look into Fantastical 2, probably still the best app I have purchased.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh I didn't know this.

Things that have helped me:

Configure your contacts so work, home, and your friends' home addresses are useful.

Reminders and calendar events are repeatable. A reminder is a thing to be checked off, a calendar event is complete when the time passes.

Reminders should start with verbs, events have a general subject like an email. Reminder: bring health care card to eye appointment. Event: Dan's BBQ. This is very powerful because when your phone buzzes it's telling you to do something or go somewhere, and when you're making an appointment with someone it's easy to see that Dan has a barbecue on Saturday at 3 so no, I can't wash your dog, mom.

Reminders are persistent until complete. Use this for tasks, geofence them for location specific tasks so they don't bother you to make photocopies at home or whatever (just say "hey Siri remind me to make photocopies tomorrow morning at work"). An example is paying your phone bill. You need to do it when you have time, but you don't have to go somewhere and do it exclusively.

Calendar events are "be there" events. An example is a doctor appointment.

Use fantastical so that all your events are treated as a persistent badge icon and condition yourself to care. If the icon says something, you have things to do today. You can also manage both events and reminders in one app that way and get directions to your event from the app itself.

Email is also useful to use as a reminders and events. In gmail in a web browser if you click the dropdown at the top you can make an email into a calendar event, mailbox is an effort to make emails into reminders as well. If an email is task related, it's a reminder, if it's somewhere to go, it's an event.

Read Getting Things Done for a much more comprehensive explanation of this sort of management.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I have a bunch of old audio book CDs that I have been transferring to my iPhone 6 so I can listen to them while riding my bike. My current process is to take the mp3 files from the CDs, put them old Google Drive and then play them in Capriccio. Capriccio is nice because if you load the files in the correct order it will play them seamlessly and will save your place after you close the app. However, it is a very time consuming process to load them and Capriccio doesn't seem to work with larger files. Is there a better method/app for playing audio book mp3 files?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm having an odd iCloud Drive issue. Well, technically my boss is the one with the problem. I'm getting him set up with PDF Expert on his iPad Air and using iCloud to transfer thing between his PC (using the iCloud.com page) and his iPad which is how I go about it. So I got PDF Expert installed, enabled iCloud, got some test files from his e-mail into PDF Expert's iCloud folder and everything works except the PDF Expert folder is not showing up on the web page. A quick check on his iPhone shows that the files are in the cloud and working properly (quick annotations). I can also upload things on his PC and they show up instantly on both his devices but app folders are simply not showing up on the web site. I tried installing a few different apps I know use iCloud and it's the same deal. They can all see and browse the iCloud Drive, upload and download fine, but the web site it just not displaying any of it.

I'm having a hell of a time finding out where the hiccup is happening and going through the same steps on my iPad/iCloud everything shows up and works as I want it to so I have no idea what's going on.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I have a bunch of old audio book CDs that I have been transferring to my iPhone 6 so I can listen to them while riding my bike. My current process is to take the mp3 files from the CDs, put them old Google Drive and then play them in Capriccio. Capriccio is nice because if you load the files in the correct order it will play them seamlessly and will save your place after you close the app. However, it is a very time consuming process to load them and Capriccio doesn't seem to work with larger files. Is there a better method/app for playing audio book mp3 files?

Have you tried putting them in iTunes, correcting any metadata (esp track numbers) and setting the media kind as audio books? That's what I've been doing for ages, and it works fine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

tuyop posted:

Things that have helped me:

Configure your contacts so work, home, and your friends' home addresses are useful.

Reminders and calendar events are repeatable. A reminder is a thing to be checked off, a calendar event is complete when the time passes.

Reminders should start with verbs, events have a general subject like an email. Reminder: bring health care card to eye appointment. Event: Dan's BBQ. This is very powerful because when your phone buzzes it's telling you to do something or go somewhere, and when you're making an appointment with someone it's easy to see that Dan has a barbecue on Saturday at 3 so no, I can't wash your dog, mom.

Reminders are persistent until complete. Use this for tasks, geofence them for location specific tasks so they don't bother you to make photocopies at home or whatever (just say "hey Siri remind me to make photocopies tomorrow morning at work"). An example is paying your phone bill. You need to do it when you have time, but you don't have to go somewhere and do it exclusively.

Calendar events are "be there" events. An example is a doctor appointment.

Use fantastical so that all your events are treated as a persistent badge icon and condition yourself to care. If the icon says something, you have things to do today. You can also manage both events and reminders in one app that way and get directions to your event from the app itself.

Email is also useful to use as a reminders and events. In gmail in a web browser if you click the dropdown at the top you can make an email into a calendar event, mailbox is an effort to make emails into reminders as well. If an email is task related, it's a reminder, if it's somewhere to go, it's an event.

Read Getting Things Done for a much more comprehensive explanation of this sort of management.

Is there a good article kind of summarizing and outlining that book? I've heard lots of things about Fantastical from Gruber et al so I'll check it out I guess.

Not really related but you'd think there'd be a way to invite other iPhone users to calendar events via their phone numbers only but there doesn't seem be. I'm trying to invite my sister to a flight so she has it in her calendar but it only lets me invite via email and I don't know about you guys but "hey what's your email" isn't something I ever ask people for when I already have their numbers.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

xzzy posted:

I thought it also needed to see motion that looks like stairs climbing, or elevators would really mess things up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a good article kind of summarizing and outlining that book? I've heard lots of things about Fantastical from Gruber et al so I'll check it out I guess.

Not really related but you'd think there'd be a way to invite other iPhone users to calendar events via their phone numbers only but there doesn't seem be. I'm trying to invite my sister to a flight so she has it in her calendar but it only lets me invite via email and I don't know about you guys but "hey what's your email" isn't something I ever ask people for when I already have their numbers.

Lifehacker had some good guides on using apps for a GTD method last time I checked.

Just ask for their emails. Chances are they don't use an electronic calendar though, people suck.

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I also get audiobooks on CDs from the library. Here's my workflow:

1. Import them into iTunes.
2. Correct metadata.
3. Consolidate library.
4. Open in explorer/finder. Open audacity.
5. Import files into audacity.
6. Select all, align tracks end to end, export as MP3.
7. Load into a justcast Dropbox folder. Copy rss link.
8. Listen in Overcast or any podcast app.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just put Audiobooks into Downcast. Works perfectly.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

tuyop posted:

Lifehacker had some good guides on using apps for a GTD method last time I checked.

Just ask for their emails. Chances are they don't use an electronic calendar though, people suck.

I also get audiobooks on CDs from the library. Here's my workflow:

1. Import them into iTunes.
2. Correct metadata.
3. Consolidate library.
4. Open in explorer/finder. Open audacity.
5. Import files into audacity.
6. Select all, align tracks end to end, export as MP3.
7. Load into a justcast Dropbox folder. Copy rss link.
8. Listen in Overcast or any podcast app.

You know this could be much, much easier for you.

1. Grab foobar2000
2. Grab the lame.exe
3. Rip CD with foobar
3. Point foobar to Lame when prompted in the converter section (only need to deal with this the first time you do it)
4. Set converter settings to output to a single file

Once you have this setup which takes about 10 minutes, you can just open foobar, rip audio CD, and pick the converter profile you created for this.

edit: added some real instructions and links

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 29, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

I just put Audiobooks into Downcast. Works perfectly.

You could also use VLC's wifi import, or listen in possibly Goodreader the same way, but I think GR doesn't save position in audio files.

Unacknowledged posted:

You know this could be much, much easier for you. Grab foobar2000, grab the lame.exe and point foobar to it, rip CD to a single mp3.

Still going to have to correct metadata and combine all the files in audacity since I don't want like eight mp3s. Also I could NEVER get foobar or lame to work correctly on my computers.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 29, 2015

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

tuyop posted:

You could also use VLC's wifi import, or listen in possibly Goodreader the same way, but I think GR doesn't save position in audio files.

Still going to have to correct metadata and combine all the files in audacity since I don't want like eight mp3s. Also I could NEVER get foobar or lame to work correctly on my computers.

Wait what? How's that? You can just set the metadata in foobar before or after you rip it. If you're only going to create 1 file, just dont do any metadata work until its output, throw it in foobar, properties, add your artist, title, album data. Seconds of work, really. Foobar is pretty amazing for this type of stuff.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I had a few spare minutes at work and setup a portable foobar for you to try it out. Here's the process:

1. Open foobar, go to File > Open Audio CD. Hit the Rip button
2. When you hit the converter section, there should be a single default converter profile that I've setup for you. Use that, it will output all the tracks to a single V0 VBR mp3 (you can change that if you need to).
3. When you get to the stage of ripping it, it will ask where you want to output the file (which you can actually choose in the converter profile if you want to save it to the same place each time).
4. Next, it will ask you (one time only) to point it to the lame.exe file. I've put that exe inside the zip I've provided in: foobar2000/lame/lame.exe, just point it to that file's extracted location (wherever you wanted to keep your foobar installation) when it asks. It will remember it next time.

Now you're done. Most of the setup is done, only requiring a couple of others since setting paths on my machine here would persist to yours and throw up some missing folder errors later. I don't mean to force this on you, but I do think you're putting in a ton more work than you need to for something like this.

Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10868783/foobar2000.zip

Virus free, I promise. Just a straight foobar installation with the lame files and the converter profile in there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Unacknowledged posted:

I had a few spare minutes at work and setup a portable foobar for you to try it out. Here's the process:

1. Open foobar, go to File > Open Audio CD. Hit the Rip button
2. When you hit the converter section, there should be a single default converter profile that I've setup for you. Use that, it will output all the tracks to a single V0 VBR mp3 (you can change that if you need to).
3. When you get to the stage of ripping it, it will ask where you want to output the file (which you can actually choose in the converter profile if you want to save it to the same place each time).
4. Next, it will ask you (one time only) to point it to the lame.exe file. I've put that exe inside the zip I've provided in: foobar2000/lame/lame.exe, just point it to that file's extracted location (wherever you wanted to keep your foobar installation) when it asks. It will remember it next time.

Now you're done. Most of the setup is done, only requiring a couple of others since setting paths on my machine here would persist to yours and throw up some missing folder errors later. I don't mean to force this on you, but I do think you're putting in a ton more work than you need to for something like this.

Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10868783/foobar2000.zip

Virus free, I promise. Just a straight foobar installation with the lame files and the converter profile in there.

Well, that's pretty awesome. Thanks, I'll give it a go.

What I meant was that each CD gets output as a file, I want the whole book to be a file so I have to combine it in audacity afterward anyway. Whether Foobar is doing the ripping or iTunes (since I use it all the time) seems pretty neutral, but maybe it's a huge difference and I'll see next time I need to rip a book from the library.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

tuyop posted:

Well, that's pretty awesome. Thanks, I'll give it a go.

What I meant was that each CD gets output as a file, I want the whole book to be a file so I have to combine it in audacity afterward anyway. Whether Foobar is doing the ripping or iTunes (since I use it all the time) seems pretty neutral, but maybe it's a huge difference and I'll see next time I need to rip a book from the library.

Ahh, didn't really realize it was multiple CDs. However, foobar can do the joining for you as well if you setup a new converter profile. You just make a playlist of your full audio CD tracks, however many, then right click > convert, choose your new profile for joining the tracks as one and you're good. I'm 90% sure the existing profile I made on there will work for that as well, so granted, you're encoding to lossy format twice, but with book audio it doesn't really matter. Should be easier than audacity by a long shot.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

So I was a former 4s user who went droid and now is back to the 6s, so my apologies if I am behind with the times. Apparently when I try to watch files through VLC (or any other video player for that matter), AC3 is not supported due to some kind of copyright issue. What is the best way to watch videos on my phone now?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I don't watch too many movies on videos on my phone, but I'm pretty sure Infuse Pro can decode AC3 with no problem.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Slowhanded posted:

I don't watch too many movies on videos on my phone, but I'm pretty sure Infuse Pro can decode AC3 with no problem.

Yeah, it does. I'm using nPlayer, which also supports AC3, and it's been very needs-suity.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm having an odd iCloud Drive issue. Well, technically my boss is the one with the problem. I'm getting him set up with PDF Expert on his iPad Air and using iCloud to transfer thing between his PC (using the iCloud.com page) and his iPad which is how I go about it. So I got PDF Expert installed, enabled iCloud, got some test files from his e-mail into PDF Expert's iCloud folder and everything works except the PDF Expert folder is not showing up on the web page. A quick check on his iPhone shows that the files are in the cloud and working properly (quick annotations). I can also upload things on his PC and they show up instantly on both his devices but app folders are simply not showing up on the web site. I tried installing a few different apps I know use iCloud and it's the same deal. They can all see and browse the iCloud Drive, upload and download fine, but the web site it just not displaying any of it.

I'm having a hell of a time finding out where the hiccup is happening and going through the same steps on my iPad/iCloud everything shows up and works as I want it to so I have no idea what's going on.

Is there a reason you aren't just using Dropbox?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cbirdsong posted:

I know for me it's because iCloud is part of my workflow across devices since it's baked into iOS and OS X. Dropbox isn't and probably won't ever be. All of my documents and work for all my apps are stored on iCloud.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

flosofl posted:

Not one single app, but there are multiple apps that will hook right into Health Kit, so all your data will be available for tracking and viewing in one place. I think if you Google for Health Kit apps, you'll probably get a good list.

Ended up using MyFitnessPal to track my diet, found out Misfit has an app for my watch (Pebble) that tracks sleep, and the pedometer is pretty good. I'm just gonna make sure to pack a 48oz water bottle and drink it every day, adding that to my daily recurring todo list.

Alright, new loving year.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Unless posted:

Ended up using MyFitnessPal to track my diet, found out Misfit has an app for my watch (Pebble) that tracks sleep, and the pedometer is pretty good. I'm just gonna make sure to pack a 48oz water bottle and drink it every day, adding that to my daily recurring todo list.

Alright, new loving year.

My Fitness Pal should track fluid consumption as well (at least it used to). I think it can also be set to alert on water intake if you haven't met the goal.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

cbirdsong posted:

I've started moving stuff from Dropbox to iCloud because the death of Carousel + Mailbox came out of nowhere and I'm not comfortable leaving important stuff on there anymore.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

uninterrupted posted:

I've started moving stuff from Dropbox to iCloud because the death of Carousel + Mailbox came out of nowhere and I'm not comfortable leaving important stuff on there anymore.

Their core service isn't going anywhere. I wouldn't trust their new document editor, but Dropbox as a file syncing service is good for the foreseeable future.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does Dropbox do that thing where everyone is encrypted with the same key that they themselves have access to?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does Dropbox do that thing where everyone is encrypted with the same key that they themselves have access to?

As far as I know that hasn't changed. So, yes.

EDIT: The symetric key is encrypted with their public key and your password hash, most likely.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 30, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
To be honest if you're worried about encryption don't use any cloud service. Just run your own with something like Owncloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Or encrypt everything yourself and put the encrypted files in the cloud storage.