Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lurking Haro posted:

It seems you believe in evil skeletons.

You don't?? :skeltal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Somfin posted:

Nice redtext there.

Consuming media while staying actively aware of the messages they are imparting is a useful skill. I suppose, in your mind, the non-pathetic thing to do is to just blindly believe that nothing is ever bad and trust that no creator ever tries to impart messages through their work?

gently caress, sign me up for being able to think like you, it must be a blissful existence.

I too believe creators of a Mexican wrestling game might be trying to "impart messages" of a racist nature by referencing lucha libre. Thank you beloved WASP man for taking care of us.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think we can all agree that everyone is a little bit racist deep down.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Not a troll per se so much as frustrating design but in Xenoblade Chronicles X you spend 30-40 hours in game before you can buy your giant kickass robot. This is what happens to every single person when they finally get their giant robot:

1. This is awesome, I bet I could beat up that giant monster
2. oh gently caress oh gently caress
3. i have to pay insurance on this thing?!

And by stomping around in your giant robot, you draw the attention of the biggest and nastiest monsters around, even if you don't mean to. Several times I've been going about by business only for my robot to be almost immediately blown up by some angry giant gorilla fifty feet away I didn't even see.

Non Serviam posted:

I too believe creators of a Mexican wrestling game might be trying to "impart messages" of a racist nature by referencing lucha libre. Thank you beloved WASP man for taking care of us.

I don't know about who you represent but it definitely seems like you need a caregiver

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

Calico Heart posted:

Not a troll per se so much as frustrating design but in Xenoblade Chronicles X you spend 30-40 hours in game before you can buy your giant kickass robot. This is what happens to every single person when they finally get their giant robot:

1. This is awesome, I bet I could beat up that giant monster
2. oh gently caress oh gently caress
3. i have to pay insurance on this thing?!

And by stomping around in your giant robot, you draw the attention of the biggest and nastiest monsters around, even if you don't mean to. Several times I've been going about by business only for my robot to be almost immediately blown up by some angry giant gorilla fifty feet away I didn't even see.

You don't pay for insurance at all, you just have a set number of repairs the insurance covers until the Skell has blown up several times already, then you need to start paying. However, If you get a perfect on the B button timing, you don't use up one of the insurance tickets. If you get down to only one repair covered, give the Skell to an NPC, because they always get a perfect and you won't need to pay for it to be repaired unless it isn't out of insurance. It can end up just being cheaper to buy a new one than repair an old one.

Additionally, if you are playing online, you can switch your division for a fee. The highest rated division each day gets a salvage ticket, which is a free repair. If it is cheaper to switch divisions than repair, seems smart to do so.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Non Serviam posted:

drat dude you sure showed me, all games are created equal and nothing is racist anymore.

I guess Call of Juarez: The Cartel didn't have any message to send when it featured modern-day Mexican drug lords abducting American women for sexual slavery, because if I were to read that as fueled by anti-Mexican racism as well as a complete reversal of the actual truth, that would be me being my pitiful WASPy self.

There are so many games that I haven't played because I didn't want to give my money to support horrible racist shitbags, but now that there's no racism in video games I suppose there's no harm in me buying them and giving my money to their creators.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Somfin posted:

drat dude you sure showed me, all games are created equal and nothing is racist anymore.

I guess Call of Juarez: The Cartel didn't have any message to send when it featured modern-day Mexican drug lords abducting American women for sexual slavery, because if I were to read that as fueled by anti-Mexican racism as well as a complete reversal of the actual truth, that would be me being my pitiful WASPy self.

There are so many games that I haven't played because I didn't want to give my money to support horrible racist shitbags, but now that there's no racism in video games I suppose there's no harm in me buying them and giving my money to their creators.

None of this has anything to do with Guacamelee (or Trolls From Game Developers).

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pneub posted:

None of this has anything to do with Guacamelee (or Trolls From Game Developers).

Fair call, I'll back off. Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Somfin posted:

Fair call, I'll back off. Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread.

Oh wow, that avatar. Looks like Non Serviam got sour as gently caress over you calling him out. :allears:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

Oh wow, that avatar. Looks like Non Serviam got sour as gently caress over you calling him out. :allears:

Woah! Finally! Someone bought me an avatar!

It's such a merry Christmas this year :3:

Thank you Non Serviam!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Somfin posted:

Thank you Non Serviam!

He sure showed you by spending :10bux: to get you an avatar.

Wait, is that avatar racist? I think we should discuss it.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Somfin posted:

Thank you Non Serviam!

It wasn't me. I didn't enjoy getting a bullshit one either, I wouldn't spend 10 bucks to prove a point.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Dabir posted:

So let me tell you all a story about Elite: Dangerous, the spaceship flying game that actually exists.

In E:D, there are some places people know never to go to. Not because they're especially dangerous, but because they're just really loving boring. See, every star system has one jump-in point, at the primary star, then from there you fly around in compressed space with a warp drive. Now, space is really big, and Elite is 1:1 accurate, so it can still take a while to get to places that are a few thousand light-seconds from the jump-in point.

The king of places that suck to get to is Alpha Centauri's main space station, Hutton Orbital, a whopping 0.22 light-years from the star. It's so far away that at the halfway point, because there's no gravity wells near you, your ship has reached speeds of over 1850 times the speed of light (out of a maximum of 2001c if you point at deep space and leave it going for a long time) and it's still showing half an hour ETA.

Here's a video of someone going to Hutton Orbital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyBcRfCGQEg

If you watch all the way to the end, you'll see that he went there to finish a basic hauling mission that paid 1,100 credits, that's loving nothing. He probably spent more than that on fuel getting there. Any star nearish Alpha Centauri can generate missions like that.

Right now, Frontier have a Community Goal going where you go to Frost Dock in the Njambalba system, buy Personal Gifts (up to ~20 at once per player) and then take them to Clauss Port in the Santa Muerte system to sell them. If people ship enough of these things, newish players will be awarded a free Eagle (not a very valuable ship, but a step up from the Sidewinder you start with in pretty much every way). There's about 15 hyperspace jumps to get from one to the other, and just to really rub it in, Frost Dock is 30,000 light-seconds from the arrival point. Not exactly Hutton but still takes a good 5 or 10 minutes.

So far, people have shipped 63,000 tons of the stuff since it was assigned on the 22nd, which isn't bad considering how annoying it is, but, well...

I think Frontier set their expectations a bit high.

Steam recommended this game to me and it sort of peaked my interest but I ignored it. Is the video a good example of game play?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

snergle posted:

Steam recommended this game to me and it sort of peaked my interest but I ignored it. Is the video a good example of game play?

Kinda. It can be really fun, but there is a LOT of downtime and bullshit like that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Somfin posted:

:psyduck: Guacamelee thankfully does not involve any of what you're talking about. Out of all of the posts in this incomprehensibly stupid conversation this made me want to say something.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

mycot posted:

:psyduck: Guacamelee thankfully does not involve any of what you're talking about. Out of all of the posts in this incomprehensibly stupid conversation this made me want to say something.

My point, which I admit might have gotten lost there, is that just because one game references another culture and manages not to be racist, doesn't mean that all games that reference other cultures aren't racist, and it's important to actively check in and make sure that what you're seeing isn't some fuckhead's white-power fantasy. It's not a bad thing to analyse media you consume. It's not 'pathetic' or 'white guilt' to not want to put money in the pockets of bad people.

Guacamelee does, indeed, not have that poo poo going on in it. That doesn't mean that checking is an SJW conspiracy or whatever the hell.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

snergle posted:

Firstly, 'piqued'.

Secondly, not really. There is a good example of a delivery mission in there but it's got an hour of flying in a straight line in the middle because, again, Hutton Orbital SUCKS.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Somfin posted:

I forgot to mention this, so I apologize for going back.

I think that the real problem comes from you seeing a depiction of a Mexican drug Lord doing horrible things and thinking it's an attack on Mexican people as a whole.
You can portray cartels as gigantic human trafficking pieces of poo poo without that meaning you dislike us glorious Latin Americans, you know?

So, yes, it is pathetic. Enjoy and keep it up.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Non Serviam posted:

He's right, though. Call of Juarez was racist as gently caress.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Dabir posted:

Firstly, 'piqued'.

Secondly, not really. There is a good example of a delivery mission in there but it's got an hour of flying in a straight line in the middle because, again, Hutton Orbital SUCKS.

Does E:D not have some spaceship version of auto run at least so you can get up and go do other poo poo?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean it's not exactly Desert Bus, you don't have to make constant course corrections, so yes you could go have a sandwich or twenty while you're waiting, but you do have to manually guide yourself in at the end.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Non Serviam posted:

I forgot to mention this, so I apologize for going back.

I think that the real problem comes from you seeing a depiction of a Mexican drug Lord doing horrible things and thinking it's an attack on Mexican people as a whole.
You can portray cartels as gigantic human trafficking pieces of poo poo without that meaning you dislike us glorious Latin Americans, you know?

That's not what I said at all. The drug war is loving insane, and one major aspect of it is American money and guns. There is still a substantial slave market in America, and one of the sources is slaves taken by the cartels, brought north, and sold in the USA. The makers of this game decided to reverse it, turning the situation into a farce where the cartels are abducting Americans for sale in Mexico- this is entirely not how it works. The makers of this game decided to pander to American xenophobia and put in a plotline where those dirty Mexicans are stealin' our vulnerable women, rather than challenge America's self-image and show the situation as it really is. Some racist fuckhead playing that game got his worthless opinions reinforced rather than challenged.

Feel free to stop scoring points against that strawman whenever you want, though.

E: What the gently caress, I just realised that you believed what the game put forward. Do you not get how loving idiotic that is? Do you not challenge anything that anyone says? Jesus.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Dec 27, 2015

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Somfin posted:

Feel free to stop scoring points against that strawman whenever you want, though.
:irony:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Whoever wins this argument, we all lose.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Somfin posted:

That's not what I said at all. The drug war is loving insane, and one major aspect of it is American money and guns. There is still a substantial slave market in America, and one of the sources is slaves taken by the cartels, brought north, and sold in the USA. The makers of this game decided to reverse it, turning the situation into a farce where the cartels are abducting Americans for sale in Mexico- this is entirely not how it works. The makers of this game decided to pander to American xenophobia and put in a plotline where those dirty Mexicans are stealin' our vulnerable women, rather than challenge America's self-image and show the situation as it really is. Some racist fuckhead playing that game got his worthless opinions reinforced rather than challenged.

E: What the gently caress, I just realised that you believed what the game put forward. Do you not get how loving idiotic that is? Do you not challenge anything that anyone says? Jesus.

LOL ok

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
:ohdear:

Uh. Well.

Okay. Got one, I guess.
I think it's in Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. One puzzle involves looking at a wall of painted bricks and determinibng which colour was used most.
Of course, it's not the colour of any of the designs, but the colour of the wall's background, which is off in a pail on the side. Easy to miss if you focus on the obvious. I do enjoy those bouts of trickery in the series.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
the actual best troll is pretending that SJWs don't exist

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Guys let me tell you about the irreparable mental damage I suffered when I was 4 hours old or w/e.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

the actual best troll is pretending that SJWs don't exist

There's a skeleton inside us all

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Actual content: So I got Saints Row 4 Gat Out of Hell for PS4 and one of the missions is a Christmas mission where you team up with Santa to save Christmas from an evil killer Santa. Evil Santa has taken over and barricaded the workshop and you have to bust in and save Mrs. Claus. The front doors are barred by candy canes and you are given a choice to either lick through the giant candy canes or go to the stables. To entirely lick through the candy canes demands about 10 minutes of mashing triangle, complete with awkward licking noises and funny messages from the developers.

Turns out the door's locked and you have to go to the stables anyway.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Actual content: So I got Saints Row 4 Gat Out of Hell for PS4 and one of the missions is a Christmas mission where you team up with Santa to save Christmas from an evil killer Santa. Evil Santa has taken over and barricaded the workshop and you have to bust in and save Mrs. Claus. The front doors are barred by candy canes and you are given a choice to either lick through the giant candy canes or go to the stables. To entirely lick through the candy canes demands about 10 minutes of mashing triangle, complete with awkward licking noises and funny messages from the developers.

Turns out the door's locked and you have to go to the stables anyway.

That is fantastic. Do the candy canes blink from phase to phase or do they smoothly animate to an eaten state?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Somfin posted:

That is fantastic. Do the candy canes blink from phase to phase or do they smoothly animate to an eaten state?

They appear solid until you lick them through, at which point they vanish. The only way to tell how far along you are is a progress bar that fills up at a rate of about 3 pixels per triangle press.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Somfin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZKxEhcstYA

The least common achievement in that game is one that only 1.3% of players have gotten. If we assume that every single one of those people used an achievement unlocker to get it, then it still means that a minimum of 2.4% of the people who played Saints Row 4 actually bothered to go through the entire eight minutes of listening to that one noise.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I've always wanted to play through that but I've ended up on family trips during this time of year, which leaves me coming home at a time when it's no longer seasonally appropriate. :/

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Somfin posted:

No, I try not to take video games as sources for my geopolitical knowledge.
You should do the same.

But, please go ahead explaining how progressive and smart you are, you are doing a great job so far and I'd hate to see you stop now.

Edit. Actual content.
The biggest troll on metal Gear V was realizing the mutilplayer fob part has a pay to win element via purchasing coins.

Another mean troll, spend lots of money on your buddy then see your buddy go. We all know which buddy.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

holy poo poo shut the gently caress up

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZKxEhcstYA

The least common achievement in that game is one that only 1.3% of players have gotten. If we assume that every single one of those people used an achievement unlocker to get it, then it still means that a minimum of 2.4% of the people who played Saints Row 4 actually bothered to go through the entire eight minutes of listening to that one noise.

Speaking of trolly achievements, Gunpoint has a fantastic one that can only be gained by people playing the game wrong. Gunpoint is a stealthy hacky game, and it has a system where you can tackle a guard by jumping on them with one button press, and then punch them unconscious with another one. You can keep pressing the punch button after the one punch needed, which will cause your character to continue to attack the downed guard. Messages from the dev pop up, at first assuming you've got it wrong, then informing you that there's no achievement for punching guards, then gradually becoming more and more disturbed. The dev begins to plead with you to stop, at one point asking if you'll stop for an achievement.

There is an achievement for not stopping at that point.

After this, the dev starts to go meta- the end stage is the developer posting a message "That is among the worst reasons to punch someone in the face ___ times" that updates with every hit.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Please stop arguing about Call of Juarez and post more content.

I apologize for not taking my own advice and including some content with this post but I am not really well-versed in trolls from game developers. :saddowns:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Please stop arguing about Call of Juarez and post more content.

I apologize for not taking my own advice and including some content with this post but I am not really well-versed in trolls from game developers. :saddowns:

I got you, fam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

My anger at this game shot to 11 when I realized those dicks respawned. And they just had to rub it in with that music.

• Locked thread